Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 14-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
RicOz

Default Mondeo v Territory for backseat space

Hi currently have a MB Mondeo Wagon and 2 toddlers but now expecting a third baby mid this year. Currently we have 2 baby seats in the back of the Mondeo but to get a third in may be a tight squeeze if not impossible.

Does anyone know if the Territory's 2nd row is wider/roomier/flater than the Mondeo enough to fit in 3 baby/toddler seats?

I wonder if its still going to be the same issue, if anyone has any good slim baby seats recomendations?

Old 14-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 
Default Re: Mondeo v Territory for backseat space

Various reports in the Territory forum that 3 baby/child seats do fit across the second row and all have factory mounting points. Try a search.

Here's one with a Mondeo reference;
fitting three children in the second row
Old 14-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
4VCLEVO
XA GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicOz
Hi currently have a MB Mondeo Wagon and 2 toddlers but now expecting a third baby mid this year. Currently we have 2 baby seats in the back of the Mondeo but to get a third in may be a tight squeeze if not impossible.

Does anyone know if the Territory's 2nd row is wider/roomier/flater than the Mondeo enough to fit in 3 baby/toddler seats?

I wonder if its still going to be the same issue, if anyone has any good slim baby seats recomendations?
I have a 2002 falcon wagon and 3 baby seats fit in that. But I wouldn't want the back seat to be any smaller.
Old 14-01-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
RicOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
Various reports in the Territory forum that 3 baby/child seats do fit across the second row and all have factory mounting points. Try a search.

Here's one with a Mondeo reference;
fitting three children in the second row
Thanks! Yes I know I probably should have searched for other threads but hope you will forgive me... with 2 toddlers and a 3rd on the way, you get limited time and sleep!
Old 15-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi RicOz,

The following dimensions are taken from our cars and the Toddler safety seat we use for our 5+ year old grandson.

Distance between the armrests, doors closed:

Territory 1440 mm
Mondeo 1330 mm

Width of toddler seat we have 480 mm ( I suspect this is one of the wider ones - but if shopping carry a tape measure)

On this basis three of the seats we have will be 1440 mm wide and will not fit into the Mondeo, but will fit across the Territory (just!).

Both cars have three baby/toddler seat location anchors built into the rear of the seat back - and in the Mondeo they are a pain to use, because we have the sedan and limited headroom - I think the hatch/wagon would be less of a problem owing to increased headroom.

So if you buy seats that are narrow enough (440 mm or less) they will fit into both cars, but the separation distance will be small, and as those children grow this might be a consideration.

If this were my problem, I think I would be looking at a 7 seat Territory as this would allow you to locate the seats such that the kiddies could not reach one another easily ie one on each side of the second row seat and the third in the third row. Just a thought.

If you do consider a move to a Territory, and it isn't a new one, exercise caution as the low spec earlier models did not have side curtain airbags as a standard fitment.

Another member who now rejoices in being a father to a trio of small people moved from a Mondeo to a Territory for exactly the reason you are grappling with.

Good luck - and congratulations on the forthcoming addition.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

locate the seats such that the kiddies could not reach one another easily ie one on each side of the second row seat and the third in the third row
Brings back memories of sequeezing three children into a '67 Falcon back seat - Space Wars !!!. I think the prior Chrysler Royal was wider.

But then my own two kids used to play peek-a-boo while strapped into their boosters seats in our '87 Telstar TX5 and got along famously - still do at nearly 19 and 17 repsectively. All depends on the kids.
Just my 2c worth...must be getting old.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I had a MC Titanium wagon on order, then I found out I was having twins, so I upgraded to. Titanium Territory as I didn't want to go thin child seat for the twin boys.

A member has three seats in the back, but I thought it was too much of a squeeze. And so did the Boss. Space wise I reckon the harsh and Territory weren't too bad, it's the vertical that you don't get with the Mondeo.

If it was only one at the last birth, we would have been very happy in the Mondeo. But with two at once, plus my now three year old daughter the extra room from the Territory made the upgrade easy.

Have a look here (if it works):http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ee+child+seats

If it doesn't, just do a Search on this forum on three child seats. Theres a photo as well.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
RicOz

Thanks for the advice so far. We went and saw the Territory Titanium today, it does took wider and flatter on the 2nd row which is great, plus it also has anchor points in the 3rd row too. However the bad thing was no 50/50 split seats on the 3rd row so a lack of options if you want someone in the 3rd row and a bit of luggage space.

Also, the new Terriorty looks good on the out side but after being in a Mondeo for the last 2 years, I have to say there was no wow factor for the Terri interior. Plastics were hard touch and cheap looking, boring centre console and speedo, a driver arm rest that seemed flimsy, plus the doors didnt have that nice solid thud too.

For close to $60k mark for the Titanium too... I guess once you have been in a European built car you can tell the lack of quality and attention to detail that the Terri (in my opinion) lacks. All in all a bit of a downer, just wish the Mondeo was a little wider and flatter now! :(
Old 15-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #9
Fishman

I'm about to go through this this week. One 5 yo, one 2 yo and a baby due on the 3rd Feb. the third wasn't on the cards when we went car shopping, an we aren't really in a position to upgrade the mondeo. Secretly between you and me I reckon the wife would kill me if we ha to upgrade.

The capsule fitting via qld ambulance service is tomorrow, so when we get it all the seats in I'll give you all photos and a run down of what we did.

Our oldest might be big enough to go to a booster, so it may make it easier for us too.
Fishman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #10
RicOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman
The capsule fitting via qld ambulance service is tomorrow, so when we get it all the seats in I'll give you all photos and a run down of what we did.
Fantastic! I'd love some photos when you're done. The definition of a booster seat in NSW is one with the headrest on it, and from what I have seen, boosters have pretty wide head rests on them! Either way it will be a bit of a squeeze.

The other issue with the Mondeo is that it doesn't have a flat floor in the back seat so it makes it a bit difficult for my 3.5yo to walk and climb into the middle seat.

We are still exploring options, including Mazda CX-9 too.
Old 16-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #11
KS290

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Assistance with technical guides. 

Mate we were in exactly the same predicament as you and last month bought a Territory (2010 SYII Ghia AWD). I did heaps of research on this and we actually fitted the 3 seats we have across the back in the dealership before we bought (the Salesman didn’t mind). We bought the 7 seater for its use in the future, as with a 5, 3 and newborn arriving you need to put the 3 seats across rather than use that 3rd row – access is too hard and luggage space is minimal.

We also looked at the Honda Odyssey, Kluger, Prado, CX-9 as well as the Mondeo wagon, but the Territory came out on top. The CX-9 is good but even longer than the Territory and costs a bit more to buy. The Kluger has a removable middle seat in the 2nd row (to access the 3rd row) and isn’t suitable for 3 across, and it doesn't have anchor points for the 3rd row if you did need to use it for a child seat.

I’ve got a spreadsheet with all the dimensions for lots of cars (length, width, rear hip room, rear shoulder room etc) – I can't work out how to attach it but pm me your email address and I'll send it to you if you like.

Regards
KS290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #12
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Here's three from the post mentioned earlier, they are all forward facing, click the link. They are thin seats which make it easier, might be a struggle with full size capsules/seats/boosters. But the only way to find out is to do a trial fitting. Baby shops let you test different sizes out in the car park, I'd be doing that before anything else.

Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Old 16-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #13
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

That back seat looks familiar......
The two outer seats are the Safe n Sound Compaq model whilst the centre seat is a big Safe n Sound Maxi Rider which is quite wide. The Mondeo is quite generous in width for a "mid sizer" but you'll need to be a bit choosy with your seat selection to fit 3.

There's no doubt the Territory is one of the best when it comes to fitting 3 seats in the second row but I'm also not surprised at the noted difference in interior quality when compared to the Mondeo.
Old 16-01-2012, 10:45 PM   #14
RicOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superoo
There's no doubt the Territory is one of the best when it comes to fitting 3 seats in the second row but I'm also not surprised at the noted difference in interior quality when compared to the Mondeo.
Yes true, and if I'm going to pay nearly $60k for a Titanium Territory I want to feel like its a bit of luxury inside, but wife and I looked at this then the Mazda CX-9 Luxury and the interior of the Mazda puts the Terri to shame.
Old 16-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #15
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Hey Superoo, long time no hear.
Previous:
Old 16-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #16
Fishman

Here are a couple of photos. They're a bit crappy as it was raining when I got home from work and trying to take the photos. It looks a little cramped back there.

We have the eldest in a HiPod Senator which is quite wide on the passenger side so that when he's fiddling to lock himself in, he doesn't unlock the seatbelt for the middle one which is a Safe n Sound branded seat.

The wife said that once they were locked in they still had a bit of arm room, so we'll see how they go over the coming months / years.

Old 16-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #17
RicOz

Thanks Fishman good help! Do you think you will have issues though once the baby is over 6 months old and you need to have 3 forward facing seats?
Old 17-01-2012, 01:08 AM   #18
Fishman

Probably, but then that's 6 months away!

In all seriousness though there will be a bit of rejigging to be done, and maybe some car seat shopping. I also have a lancer that has a couple of seats we could arrange with.
Old 17-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #19
jjw