Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 16-08-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
Greane01

Default My MC Mondeo, plus a few thoughts

Hey guys - new to the boards, couldn't find a members intro threat, so decided to start my own, but with a few points of interest for any considering (or who own) an MC (Mk4.5) Mondeo Zetec Ecoboost...

Firstly, I love the car. And I'm a Holden man having owned almost every model of Holden since the VK. My last was a V8 Calais (which I traded on this car) and I haven't regretted it; the Mondeo is so well-built, everything feels premium (compare the headlight switch to the switch on a VE Calais for instance) and it has a really sporty feel to it, while maintaining a quiet, comfortable ride. The boot is monstrous, and easily fits in a family size load for the holidays. It will even fit five 18" HSV wheels (with the seats down).

Attached is a photo of my particular Zetec finished in Ink Blue. It's an ex Ford exec vehicle bought in March with 8000 km on it (just had its 15K service - $320). Around town I'm getting 8.3 - 8.5 l/100km which is just amazing considering how much grunt it has.

Mods so far limited to Black Pearl window tint from Solartint; however, I have been doing a bit of research on the headlights considering I drive fairly regularly at night over roo-infested roads!...:

I have on order (from the UK - Power Bulbs) a set of H1 (high beam) Philips X-Treme Vision 55w bulbs, H7 (low beam) 55w Osram Nightbreaker Plus bulbs, and W5W Osram 6000k LEDs for the parking lights (used in lieu of DRLs!). I'm still undecided as to an upgrade for the fog lights (I think they're H11 despite the manual saying the fog lights are H8 - the manual also identifies the cornering lamps at H1s, but I don't know where the cornering lamps are supposed to be). I looked into the HID conversion, but apparently you need the projector style headlights that the Titanium has. Anyway, the globe upgrades will (apparently) make a huge difference, so I'll report back when they're all installed.

I've also looked into the LED DRLs (like a high number of Zetec owners by the sounds of it!). From another Mondeo forum I discovered that the DRL wiring is not conveniently sitting behind the black plastic inserts, and that the black plastic inserts are glued in, meaning they have to be prised off, and any replacement DRLs have to be glued back in, and wired in from scratch. I'm keeping my eye on a few sets on ebay, as the price seems to fluctuate from $150 to well over $200, but I still have a concern that they're not as effective as the OEM Titanium DRLs... hopefully Riksta can report on how he went with his?!

I've also looked into a tune: so far Superchips (http://www.superchips.co.uk) is the only supplier I have found. They have released a Bluefin (455 pounds) for the Ecoboost 2.0l which increases power by 40 HP (29.8 kw = 178.8 kw total) and torque by 67 nm. But, to be safe, I'm probably going to wait until the factory warranty expires, and until a few other people have had it done and provided positive feedback...

Wheels? My ideal set would be the 19x8s from the Titanium X Sport sold in the UK; but I would have to get the suspension done at the same time; about as low as the Titanium would probably be fine (considering I want to maintain comfort levels as much as possible as I've got two kids to cart around on a regular basis!).

Tyres: Obviously the OEM ones still have plenty of tread left, but I would be going for something like the Michelin Pilot Sport 3s I just fitted to my wife's Focus, or possibly a set of Sumitomos which I had on my Calais.

Safe motoring people!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mondeo 1webac.jpg (91.0 KB, 99 views)
Greane01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
JimStone

Default Re: My MC Mondeo, plus a few thoughts

Looking good in Ink Blue. Bluefin definagtely looks interesting. I have been waiting to see if anyone this side of the pond gives on a try - from the look of the powercurves it appears to pimarily push up the boost; will be interesting to see what effect the warmer climate and subsequently higher ambient temps in Aus has if that is the case.
JimStone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 06:32 AM   #3
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Welcome to the forums.

Mondeo are an awesome car. I have an MA model in Ink Blue. Great color.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #4
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Greane,

Welcome

If you want a general "Hi, I'm here" message perhaps the >Ford Central, > Community would be the sub forum of choice. It might be worth PMing Russell with a view to establishing a welcome to the forum section which is more prominent.

We too like our MA diesel, but I tend to avoid too many modifications. I've learned they tend to detract from resale value, and as the vehicle is type approved under the Australian ADRs before they can be sold in Oz you need to be careful about what you modify.

If you take the car outside the type approval you give insurance companies an out in the event of a claim.

Happy driving

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
Greane01

Thanks for the welcome AlanD. Yep, good points on the modifications; anything I do would ideally be able to be easily reversed, or not adversely impact on resale.

On the tyres, the placard on the vehicle states it can take 235/40/19 tyres, so would not go against ADRs; however, I would definitely need to advise my insurance company!
Old 17-08-2012, 11:43 PM   #6
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Welcome to the site mate! Plenty of info on here and other like minded people looking to do similar mods...
I too have looked at the Superchips tune for the EcoBoost. I will be getting this doen soon, so will report back. I have had numerous tunes on previous VW's so I am confident that Superchips will be fine.
I just had the 1yr / 15,000km service done today, as the car turned 1 yesterday! Enjoy the ride mate!!!
Old 18-08-2012, 09:59 PM   #7
mas89

i just picked up a used zetec ecoboost [ it was ford motor company car ] this week with 30000klm's on it, great to drive . all the euro cars i had [ mondeo st24,ka,fiesta zetec,focus zetec ] were good to drive and made well . i am also looking at adding so mods as i like to custom my cars to not be ordinary. the list so far is tint windows, ugrade wheels [ looking at 20in ] exhaust, change radio . and a simple body kit.
mas89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas89
i just picked up a used zetec ecoboost [ it was ford motor company car ] this week with 30000klm's on it, great to drive . all the euro cars i had [ mondeo st24,ka,fiesta zetec,focus zetec ] were good to drive and made well . i am also looking at adding so mods as i like to custom my cars to not be ordinary. the list so far is tint windows, ugrade wheels [ looking at 20in ] exhaust, change radio . and a simple body kit.
Nice choice! What colour did you get?
Old 18-08-2012, 10:50 PM   #9
mas89

i brought a white one. putting on black wheel and with dark tint it shall look hot.
Old 18-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #10
Greane01

I think the ex-Ford exec ones are the pick of the second hand bunch; they appear to be especially well looked after, and (generally) reasonably priced.

I took mine on a trip to the Brindabellas today to see the snow; rutted out dirt roads, ice and snow didn't phase the mighty Mondeo - everything felt rock solid on the return trip too (no extra squeaks or knocks!)... it was also a great opportunity to knock the transmission into Sports mode and enjoy the lightning quick gear changes, and intuitive downshifts before tight corners.

It wasn't much fun washing it in the freezing cold while it was blowing a gale!

Old 18-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #11
Greane01

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas89
i brought a white one. putting on black wheel and with dark tint it shall look hot.
Classic combination - love the white cars with black wheels and dark tint (I see a lot of Golf Rs with this combo and they look very nice).

Can I suggest something like the Advan AVS F15 20x9...(approx $1600 each)?! I looked at something similar for my Mondeo, but decided black wheels on an Ink Blue car didn't look as good as I thought it would (personal preference)!
Old 18-08-2012, 11:31 PM   #12
nevetsg

Jumping in on your introductions thread.

Hi, We picked up our ex lease Mondeo on Thursday! Loving it and when ever I find something to be an 'issue' it turns out to just be me doing it wrong and to RTFM. Although the wing mirrors still seem to small.

I was lucky enough to get an MA TDCI, 110K Km, Colorado Red, Leather, Sunroof, Bluetooth, towbar. (oh and a scratched up rear bumper) all for a very reasonable price. And it is SO PERRRRDY.

Things to get used to: sounds like I am driving a bus and, even though it seems like a silly feature, learn all the voice commands.

Finding out new fun things every time I drive it. Like half acceleration seems to give more kick than foot to the floor. I cant wait for my next drive.

Nev
nevetsg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 11:54 PM   #13
mas89

Old 18-08-2012, 11:57 PM   #14
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greane01
I think the ex-Ford exec ones are the pick of the second hand bunch; they appear to be especially well looked after, and (generally) reasonably priced.

I took mine on a trip to the Brindabellas today to see the snow; rutted out dirt roads, ice and snow didn't phase the mighty Mondeo - everything felt rock solid on the return trip too (no extra squeaks or knocks!)... it was also a great opportunity to knock the transmission into Sports mode and enjoy the lightning quick gear changes, and intuitive downshifts before tight corners.

It wasn't much fun washing it in the freezing cold while it was blowing a gale!
That is such a cool picture!!!
Good luck washing it though...
Old 19-08-2012, 01:48 AM   #15
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Hey, welcome to the forums, what a great initial post - great looking car mate.

I most definitely will be reporting (including pictures) on the DRLs when they finally arrive and I get a chance to install them. Bit of a bummer about no wiring being in there, but the ones I've ordered apparently have a wire to hook into the existing headlights so that when headlights are on the DRLs go out. We'll see though, I'm not going to start pulling crap apart until they actually arrive and I'm ready to install them, no use having holes in my bumpers for a couple of weeks while I wait for them to arrive and then await a day off to do the install!

Also, great work on getting it dirty. I did 1700kms in mine over three days (Wed-Fri) and took it on some pretty sweet dirt & gravel roads, got some awesome pics too - they'll be up soon somewhere
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #16
Greane01

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevetsg
Jumping in on your introductions thread.

Hi, We picked up our ex lease Mondeo on Thursday! Loving it and when ever I find something to be an 'issue' it turns out to just be me doing it wrong and to RTFM. Although the wing mirrors still seem to small.

I was lucky enough to get an MA TDCI, 110K Km, Colorado Red, Leather, Sunroof, Bluetooth, towbar. (oh and a scratched up rear bumper) all for a very reasonable price. And it is SO PERRRRDY.

Things to get used to: sounds like I am driving a bus and, even though it seems like a silly feature, learn all the voice commands.

Finding out new fun things every time I drive it. Like half acceleration seems to give more kick than foot to the floor. I cant wait for my next drive.

Nev
A diesel = nice, but it was juuuuust out of our price range; also, sunroof = v nice.

And here's another cool thing on the Mondys - with the car switched off, you can turn the left or right parking light on by flicking the indicator stalk up or down!
Old 19-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #17
Greane01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ope126
That is such a cool picture!!!
Good luck washing it though...
Thanks mate - taken on the iPhone in HDR and edited using the Camera+ iphone app with a 'fashion' filter and 'clarity' setting; you guys should try it - it makes even boring photos look fancy; check this out of my car getting it's roadworthy check...:

Old 20-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #18
Greane01

New headlights are in; it's a fiddly process, but the key is to get the front of the headlight underneath the front bumper - then it's a matter of pulling the back of the headlight out and away from the car.

See below for clickable thumbnails:

Stock globes:

H1 Philips X-treme Vision and H7 Osram Nightbreaker Plus:

A much brighter, larger, and slightly whiter beam: can't wait to try them out at night!

Here's some close-ups if anyone is interested!
Note the slight damage to the element on the right hand (stock) globe.

And the H1s (Philips X-treme Vision on the left)

Oh, and it turns out the foglights are H8, and the wiring is definitely NOT there for the DRLs...
Old 20-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #19
whitetdci

I have put in the Xtreme H7 in the low beams and will be fitting HIDs to the high beam. I have used the night breakers in the high beam of my other car and whilst they were good they paled into insignificance compared to the HIDs I fitted after them. I used and will be using 6000k globes. You do need to get special clips for the globes which cost an extra $12 but well worth it. If you are going to get HID make sure that they are canbus friendly.
whitetdci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2012, 10:50 PM   #20
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the heads up relaing to the wiring loom for the DRL's...
Old 21-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #21
Greane01

So, the Osram 6000K W5W LEDs ($29 from Performance bulbs UK on eBay) arrived and have been installed; they've replaced the Aerpro T104 6500K white 4 x LEDs bought from Autobarn ($9.95).

As you can see from the photo, you get what you pay for. The Osram's give a much whiter, much brighter light. The Aerpro LEDs literally got drowned out in the daylight (i.e. not much use as a quasi-DRL!)...

The globes, side by side

I ended up replacing the numberplate globes with the Aerpros; the left hand globe was easy, the right hand one was extremely difficult; the wiring loom just wasn't long enough to properly remove the plug...!