Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 10-09-2005, 10:41 AM   #1
V8 Ghia
Formally ED I6

Default EA ghia air con has stopped

My EA air con this week suddenly decided it doesnt want to work :
I ran the climate control in diagnostic mode and the cabin temp reading is stuck at 0.0°C :
Would this cause the air con to not work, or is it more likely a gas problem?
Is the cabin temp taken from the sniffer motor or a sensor somewhere else?

---------------------------
Other
93' ED 5spd 4.0L NA Fairmont
13.75 @ 101mph
V8 Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2005, 10:44 AM   #2
gozza

i got an ebII so i'm not sure if im even on the right track but when my air con died it was just a little black vaccum hose... i think very skinny..i don't even know what i plugged it back into but it works now haha
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2005, 11:35 AM   #3
CruizinEB
Banned

i think you are on the right track gozza
CruizinEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2005, 03:14 PM   #4
BuuBox

If the sensor is faulty, it should have a default reading. Are you sure this is 0.0°C? If it's on the coldest setting, 16°C, it should work anyway. If it's sudden, I wouldn't think it's a gas problem.
BuuBox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2005, 05:18 PM   #5
Psycho Chicken
Banned

I reckon the sniffer motor might be the issue, pity, I just threw one out. Though it should still work, just not that well in auto mode.

Any air bubbles in the sight glass? Gas in the system? Clutch engauging? is it using R134a or R12?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUIZIN EB
i think you are on the right track gozza
What? How can you even tell what vacuum hose he means? There is only one vacuum hose that'a related to the air con and Ghias don't even have it. Stop post whoring with answers to problems you obviously don't know the answer too.

Last edited by Psycho Chicken; 10-09-2005 at 05:57 PM.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-09-2005, 05:05 PM   #6
V8 Ghia
Formally ED I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
I reckon the sniffer motor might be the issue, pity, I just threw one out. Though it should still work, just not that well in auto mode.

Any air bubbles in the sight glass? Gas in the system? Clutch engauging? is it using R134a or R12?
There are no bubbles in the drier window, it was fully re-gassed and tested 3 months ago, I dont think the compressor is turning on at all.
At the moment I'm thinking either the sniffer or a seized compressor (damn lpg setup is in the way of looking at the compressor). Anyone priced a new sniffer motor from ford?

R134a or R12?? Not sure what you're asking.

---------------------------
Other
93' ED 5spd 4.0L NA Fairmont
13.75 @ 101mph
V8 Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2005, 07:55 PM   #7
Psycho Chicken
Banned

The gas in it, do you know if it's R134a or R12? Being regassed 3 months ago it should be R134a, possibly HC though. They show up differently in sight glasses.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: EA ghia air con has stopped

Was this solved?

I have a similar problem on my NB Fairlane. The Cabin Temp sensor is also showing 0.0°C all the time. The sniffer motor is working and the sensor is connected but I have a choice of freezing air when the Climate control is et to 16 degrees or max hot air at anything from 18 degrees upwards. It will intermittently behave and work correctly for a few kms/minutes but most of the time it's useless.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #9
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

BTW can anyone confirm the test details here are correcxt: http://www.fordmods.com/documents.php?d=9
Quote:
To enter Monitor Mode (EF/EL/AU Models)

•Turn the Ignition switch to the "On" Position

•Press the "MODE", "A/C", and "AUTO" Buttons together

•Release the "MODE", "A/C" Buttons together and the "AUTO" Button Last.

To enter Monitor Mode (EA/EB/ED Fairlane/LTD models)

•Turn the Ignition switch to the "On" Position

•Press the Recirculate, "Face/Floor", and "AUTO" Buttons together

•Release the "Recirculate", "Face/Floor", Buttons together and the "AUTO" Button Last.

This will now bring you in to the Climate control monitor mode.
Pressing the Fan Up and Down Buttons will toggle the reading that is currently being viewed
The Reading Number that is currently being displayed is shown by the Fan Speed on the LCD Panel.

The Test Readouts available are,

•L - (1 Bar) - Operator Set Temperature in degrees Celsius (°C)

•2 - (2 Bars) - Cabin Temperature in degrees Celsius (°C)

•3 - (3 Bars) - Ambient Temperature in degrees Celsius (°C)

•4 - (4 Bars) - Evaporator Temperature in degrees Celsius (°C)

•5 - (5 Bars) - Engine Coolant Temperature in degrees Celsius (°C)

•6 - (6 Bars) - Sun load Sensor Reading

•7 - (7 Bars) - Fan Speed percent (%)

•8 - (8 Bars) - Temperature Blend Door Flap percentage (%) opening

•9 - (9 Bars) - Aircon and Vent Selection (00 A/C Off Floor) (11 A/C On Face) (22 A/C Off Face/Floor) (33 A/C On Screen/Floor) (4 Screen)

•H - (10 Bars) - Water Heater Valve operation (1=On, 0=Off)

To exit this mode, simply switch off the ignition.
As mentioned above, I have very little information on this mode of operation
I would hate to think it is another sensor reading 0 degrees as I haven't been able to source new or secondhand a replacment sensor.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #10
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Fixed. Looking inside the sensor I see shiny drops of liquid which doubtless has shorted the thermistor contacts - the missus confessed in cleaning the interior she sprayed the dash including the sensor sniffer motor grill with Mr Sheen. A spray inside the sensor with some rf (Robert Foot Pty Ltd) Electronic Cleaning Solvent No 1 (fast drying no lubricants) from Altronics has it all working perfectly again.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #11
whitesoarer

My EB climate control has been doing the same thing lately, max cold or max hot only. Did you spray the electrical cleaner into the grille or did you have to remove the sensor?
whitesoarer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #12
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Into the back of the sensor; took the little duct off between the sniffer motor and sensor. You could spray it through the grill but leave the car off until it drys out as if the electronic cleaning fluid gets into the sniffer motor it could kill its bearings.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #13
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Be generous with the cleaner from what washed out a lot of dust also collects in the sensor which can't help it work.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #14
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

They probably end up like this (well worse given the age difference of the cars) one in a Lexus which uses a similar setup:

see http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-c...mp-sensor.html
Old 06-04-2013, 01:32 AM   #15
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

I just had the painful experience of replicating this issue when pulling the dash to fix another issue (fixing a mount that I broker when cleaning the sensor). If you don't plug all the climate control plugs at the back of the control unit fully in you can get the same issue (even though they may look properly plugged in one apparently wasn't fully seated). Of course I thought it was a dirty cabin sensor again and from this I can advise:

a) spraying into the front grill won't achieve much;
b) removing the friction fitted sensor risks breaking one or both mounting pins (I broke one); and
c) the difference in this case is that the sensor signal could be turned on and off by thumping the top of the dash gently.

Tracking the wires from the sensor and checking the restance readings with a multimeter had me convinced it wasn't the sensor this time but it was only when I slipped and knocked the dash that I had a clue to the cause. Knocking wires and connectors made no difference but tapping the control unit did. I think it was the white plug that was loose but in any event unplugging all three connector from the back of the control unit and plugging them firmly in again fixed it and no amount of thumping brings it back.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #16
Guess_who
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Fixed. Looking inside the sensor I see shiny drops of liquid which doubtless has shorted the thermistor contacts - the missus confessed in cleaning the interior she sprayed the dash including the sensor sniffer motor grill with Mr Sheen. A spray inside the sensor with some rf (Robert Foot Pty Ltd) Electronic Cleaning Solvent No 1 (fast drying no lubricants) from Altronics has it all working perfectly again.
Where exactly is the sensor? How to replace it? I am getting a "E3" error code when I run the diagnostic routine.
Guess_who is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #17
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

On EA/EB series behind the little grill above the coin tray and clock/trip computer. On the ED it's incorportaed into the Automatic Climate Control Switch Panel.

Last edited by aussiblue; 12-04-2013 at 11:11 AM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #18
Guess_who
Starter Motor

Since my post above I re-ran the diagnostic routine and got the "OFF" result.

Director, Finance and Planning then went shopping and on the way home the AC failed again i.e. fan slowing down and hot air in the foot well.

Something quite intermittent - gnashing of teeth!

Last edited by Guess_who; 12-04-2013 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Added "then"
Old 12-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #19
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Intermittent with an E3 suggests that either the two pin connector in the harness at the sensor is bad or poorly connected or the connector at the back of the control panel is not fully seated. I got no E3 codes.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #20
Guess_who
Starter Motor

I replaced the climate control panel some time ago and everything worked for a short while.

As you stated in an earlier post maybe the connectors are not properly seated.

In the interim, before I came across this thread, I have purchased another climate control panel which should arrive towards the end of next week so will hold off doing anything until then.
Old 26-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #21
Guess_who
Starter Motor

Typical! The weather has now turned cool.

I couldn't wait for the climate control to arrive so I partially undid the screws to have a look at the cabin sensor -hmm, it all looked too involved particularly what appeared to be the sensor mounting - so decided to do everything back up.

As suggested earlier I gave the three plugs on the climate control a really good press to try and ensure a good connection.

After a very short test all seems to be good. Wait and see ...