Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-10-2021, 09:43 PM   #121
slowsnake
Banned

Default Re: Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
at risk of sounding like a coffee snob, I liken instant coffee to dirty dish water. But will drink it if there is nothing better to get my caffeine fix.
That makes you a "traitor"....
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-10-2021, 09:52 PM   #122
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB View Post
I can drink 2 heaped teaspoons of nescafe if nothing else available. Yeah weak instant, even nescafe, does taste like dirty dish water.
A friend of mine is 64, she's in hospital as I type this, 2 weeks now and maybe longer recovery?....thought she was a " speed" user at first, she was unintelligible and heart arrhythmia etc, turns out that she had 4 or 5 cups of Nescafe a day, standard coffee mug with 2 heaped tablespoons of instant coffee, its nearly killed her, go figure that out, I can't imagine a mug of coffee with 2 heaped tablespoons of coffee, and black, no milk to take the bitterness out of it!
Old 05-10-2021, 09:55 PM   #123
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
That makes you a "traitor"....
I'll accept that if it means I get quality coffee.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2021, 10:01 PM   #124
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I was gifted a barista course a couple of years ago at Market Lane Coffee in Melbourne.

https://marketlane.com.au/pages/bari...urse-melbourne

When you break it all down, there is a lot more to a good coffee than you will imagine. I have to admit, I was a bit intimidated standing behind a professional grade machine and steamer. Was a lot of fun it certainly helped me when I returned to my little machine at home.
Actually, this is a very good thing to do if you are new to making your own coffee. Even a basic barista course will give a good insight into making your own coffee. It's all about being able to diagnose and adjust until you like what you drink. Without some basic knowledge this can be make or break for some and the machine ends up in gumtree...

YouTube can be used as a resource but with so many opinions you can end up more confused and frustrated than when you started.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:04 PM   #125
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Quote:
....I can't imagine a mug of coffee with 2 heaped tablespoons of coffee, and black, no milk to take the bitterness out of it!
Had to read it a couple times to realise you were saying tablespoons lol.
That's a lot of coffee.
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2021, 10:14 PM   #126
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Actually, this is a very good thing to do if you are new to making your own coffee. Even a basic barista course will give a good insight into making your own coffee. It's all about being able to diagnose and adjust until you like what you drink. Without some basic knowledge this can be make or break for some and the machine ends up in gumtree...

YouTube can be used as a resource but with so many opinions you can end up more confused and frustrated than when you started.
One of the most interesting things we did was splitting a shot between 3 glasses, so the start then middle and final stages of a single shot. We then tasted each stage. This was to show how important each stage of a shot was in getting to a nicely rounded flavor profile.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2021, 10:48 PM   #127
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Had to read it a couple times to realise you were saying tablespoons lol.
That's a lot of coffee.
When I made her a cup at my place, I put 2 heaped teaspoons? she said did you put 2 in this and I said yes, 2 heaped teaspoons, she corrected me and said 2 tablespoons?
I said that will bloody kill you Lisa, her answer was as bad as her coffee when she said her doctor told her to drink coffee instead of a dozen cans of coke each day, she had glucose issues, she said it wakes her up and I don't have sugar or milk in my coffee just straight black?
Not sure exactly what it done to her but this is 3rd week in hospital!
Old 06-10-2021, 05:04 PM   #128
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

I find the whole coffee snob rhetoric pretty amusing tbh.....
Coming from a Italian fam and coffee amongst my cousins and all was/is a big thing to this day.....
My parents weren't big caffiene drinkers but I grew up with it due to the countless fam gatherings and the countless Italian bars/restaurants/functions etcetc...
Leichardt in our day was the hub of it all much like Lygon st was through the 70's on till its all changed for the worse for the older gens have moved on and fewer 2nd gens carried on.
The amount I've consumed has been from absolutely fabulous to instant disasterous and someone else will differ from my taste.

Your taste is all that matters no matter what the bean/grind/brand/how its done/served etc.....
I've enjoy Campos brand when on the road next moment I've got a cap from the most random who knows what and where and it hit the spot perfectly.
I've enjoyed blend43 a number of times but can't stomach International Roast (any of those powder type ones) but someone else is so used to it lol.....

I have a huge giggle many times when one of my cousins visits.
He's one of those ol grinder types (yes I used to have them as well) for his daily 3or 4 espresso's and every single time he credits a pod nespresso.
I purposely vary which strength I make each time to suss him out.
IF it was crap he'd say so believe me.

The old art is done and dusted fellas, I'd frequent a Leichardt cafe around 5am alot (for I watch alot of real football) for thats when you see the real euro tradies having their expresso's made by the masters, now these types are taken over by millineals or asians.
Some have learnt but again it comes down did it satisfy your taste, you'll always have yes and no.

The pod invention imo is not too bad at all once you've found what suits your tastes, I do miss the longer lingering caffiene smell from grinding and coming to boil but you can't beat the lack of work/cleaning and the press of the button
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2021, 05:34 PM   #129
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
I'd frequent a Leichardt cafe around 5am alot (for I watch alot of real football) for thats when you see the real euro tradies having their expresso's made by the masters, now these types are taken over by millineals or asians.
Some have learnt but again it comes down did it satisfy your taste, you'll always have yes and no.
Yeah, know that place well, at the Parramatta rd end. They do take their coffee seriously.
Problem with the old masters of Italian coffee is they still like using that crappy Vittoria stuff.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-10-2021, 05:34 PM   #130
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
I find the whole coffee snob rhetoric pretty amusing tbh.....
Coming from a Italian fam and coffee amongst my cousins and all was/is a big thing to this day.....
My parents weren't big caffiene drinkers but I grew up with it due to the countless fam gatherings and the countless Italian bars/restaurants/functions etcetc...
Leichardt in our day was the hub of it all much like Lygon st was through the 70's on till its all changed for the worse for the older gens have moved on and fewer 2nd gens carried on.
The amount I've consumed has been from absolutely fabulous to instant disasterous and someone else will differ from my taste.

Your taste is all that matters no matter what the bean/grind/brand/how its done/served etc.....
I've enjoy Campos brand when on the road next moment I've got a cap from the most random who knows what and where and it hit the spot perfectly.
I've enjoyed blend43 a number of times but can't stomach International Roast (any of those powder type ones) but someone else is so used to it lol.....

I have a huge giggle many times when one of my cousins visits.
He's one of those ol grinder types (yes I used to have them as well) for his daily 3or 4 espresso's and every single time he credits a pod nespresso.
I purposely vary which strength I make each time to suss him out.
IF it was crap he'd say so believe me.

The old art is done and dusted fellas, I'd frequent a Leichardt cafe around 5am alot (for I watch alot of real football) for thats when you see the real euro tradies having their expresso's made by the masters, now these types are taken over by millineals or asians.

The pod invention imo is not too bad at all once you've found what suits your tastes, I do miss the longer lingering caffiene smell from grinding and coming to boil but you can't beat the lack of work/cleaning and the press of the button
bro, can't you just let us enjoy our unusual coffee choices in blissful ignorance?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
4 users like this post:
Old 06-10-2021, 05:38 PM   #131
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Having said that, I've heard cheaper brands of soymilk are not good for frothing for some reason, so maybe that's part of the problem.
Thats true, some Soy brands are better than others.
Usually a good (cafe) Barista will use the Bonsoy brand.

Old 06-10-2021, 05:58 PM   #132
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

hehe love it blueoval - perfect response

yes roKWiz, ol cafe sport, not there anymore in its old guise.
nah heaps have moved on from vittoria, going back a time when choice wasn't that much, and I agree with you, bit too much of a burnt flavour for me.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-10-2021, 06:06 PM   #133
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
hehe love it blueoval - perfect response

yes roKWiz, ol cafe sport, not there anymore in its old guise.
nah heaps have moved on from vittoria, going back a time when choice wasn't that much, and I agree with you, bit too much of a burnt flavour for me.
Yep, didn't matter who made it, it always tasted burned.
Haven't been down Norton st in a while but there were a few good places their. I remember a small place up some stairs where they only sold coffee in a bowl, I politely asked for it in a cup and the old nonna gave me a look so I said thats fine.

3 users like this post:
Old 06-10-2021, 06:08 PM   #134
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

haha I recall the upstairs place but the damn name escapes me, hehe always do as Nonna says or looks especially if she had a MO.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-10-2021, 06:16 PM   #135
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
haha I recall the upstairs place but the damn name escapes me, hehe always do as Nonna says or looks especially if she had a MO.
She also convinced me to order porridge, cause they wouldn't do scrambled eggs either and it was a 30deg day from memory.

2 users like this post:
Old 06-10-2021, 08:19 PM   #136
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
She also convinced me to order porridge, cause they wouldn't do scrambled eggs either and it was a 30deg day from memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2021, 08:42 PM   #137
.:4:.
Kicking back

Anyone had a 6am on a saturday morning experience at the valencia cafe on the corner of kent and erskine st?
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-10-2021, 09:24 PM   #138
gaz084
F1D procharged ute

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: With the amount of detail Gareth has put into his BF heat exchanger by-pass modification ... and also his work on his supercharged BA EGAS build thread has been a help to many on this forum when it comes to DIY inginuity. 

How many sugars do people usually have in there coffee i have none myself,but i know of two electricians that have a whopping 11 sugars in there coffee.

When we are working together im embarrassed when i give the barrista the order....they think im joking.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11283622
gaz084 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-10-2021, 09:31 PM   #139
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz084 View Post
How many sugars do people usually have in there coffee i have none myself,but i know of two electricians that have a whopping 11 sugars in there coffee.

When we are working together im embarrassed when i give the barrista the order....they think im joking.
None for me.

Good coffee shouldn't need sugar added. Generally sugar gets added to combat the bitterness however in the world of non instant coffee, it really shouldn't be bitter. Bitterness comes from poor technique or stale beans or both.

If I have visitors and they ask for sugar, I always get them to try it without first. Most times they don't need sugar once they try it without.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:37 PM   #140
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Coffee without sugar is an acquired taste. A bit like drinking full strength beer for the first time. Once the taste is acquired, it starts to taste better!

Your mate would love coffee in some asian countries. They use a tonne of condensed milk....tastes yummy....but can't tell whether I'm getting the kick from the sugar high or the caffeine.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-10-2021, 09:40 PM   #141
Kicking back

Quote:

1 for a small, 2 for a large. Less depending how i feel.
I do remember a workmate who was a sugar bandit getting verbally abused and refused service for requesting 4 sugars in a small flat white. From memory the barrister at one point said how the **** do you even taste the coffee.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:13 PM   #142
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Anyone had a 6am on a saturday morning experience at the valencia cafe on the corner of kent and erskine st?
No!.....
Old 06-10-2021, 10:16 PM   #143
Kicking back

Quote:
No!.....
Is that a yes? Because if it wasnt then it would be a no....
Old 06-10-2021, 10:27 PM   #144
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Used to have to have 2 sugars and a smoke .....then stopped smoking....bit more taste to the coffee then dropped the sugar once your used to it (tastes so much better ) even instant coffee , you'll never go back , if someone makes me a coffee with even one sugar I just cant drink it

It's like someone putting sugar in your beer

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2021, 05:45 PM   #145
blueoval
Critical Thinker

I used to have 1 sugar but have been zero sugars for about 6 months. Found it's better for the waist line too. I generally have Almond Milk Latte's (Casean protein intolerant) and I can drink the coffee fine without it. There are some barista's who use really bitter almond milks which you cannot drink without sugar. So I tend to either get a short black or avoid them entirely. At home though, I was using Milk Lab and and since gone to So Good Almond Barista Blend. No nutty flavor and has enough sweetness to combat the need for sugar. Plus the milk doesn't curdle.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
2 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2021, 06:58 PM   #146
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Is that a yes? Because if it wasnt then it would be a no....
Yes its a No!
Old 07-10-2021, 08:59 PM   #147
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I used to have 1 sugar but have been zero sugars for about 6 months. Found it's better for the waist line too. I generally have Almond Milk Latte's (Casean protein intolerant) and I can drink the coffee fine without it. There are some barista's who use really bitter almond milks which you cannot drink without sugar. So I tend to either get a short black or avoid them entirely. At home though, I was using Milk Lab and and since gone to So Good Almond Barista Blend. No nutty flavor and has enough sweetness to combat the need for sugar. Plus the milk doesn't curdle.
Can you tolerate 100% butter or coconut oil in your coffee? Generally speaking either of those won't spike your insulin and will suppress the bitterness.

Skipping breakfast after an early tea the night before coupled with a good sleep does wonders.

Small steps. It's all about the small steps.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2021, 09:13 PM   #148
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
In a way, you are still having sugar in your coffee as a lot of almond milks for coffee making have added sugar to get the sweet, creamy taste.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2021, 10:28 PM   #149
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
In a way, you are still having sugar in your coffee as a lot of almond milks for coffee making have added sugar to get the sweet, creamy taste.
4.0 grams of sugar per serve or 1.6grams of sugar per 100ml. I have about 200m of almond milk roughly in a cup. So yes there is still some sweetener there but not as much as a teaspoon of sugar I wouldnt have thought. That said, I was having the sugar on top of having the almond milk. So it was a lot worse.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 07-10-2021, 10:31 PM   #150
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
Can you tolerate 100% butter or coconut oil in your coffee? Generally speaking either of those won't spike your insulin and will suppress the bitterness.

Skipping breakfast after an early tea the night before coupled with a good sleep does wonders.

Small steps. It's all about the small steps.
Im currently on a shake diet at the moment so breakfast with that is taken care of. Dinner is usually served by 5-5:30.

Ive never tried coffee with butter or coconut oil. Makes me wonder though. Thoughts on the flavor?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont