Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-06-2018, 08:37 PM   #61
nstg8a

Default Re: Telsa busting while the big 4 car manufacturers are booming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Hi guys & nstga8a, here's a nice link & fact check lol on the Dodge Demon -

"Dodge really wants to make sure you don't pay too much for it. The Demon is priced at $84,995, very fair for this level of performance, and the company is going far out of its way to ensure that dealers won't price gouge. That sort of thing is music to our ear"

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/auto/2...demon-preview/

cheers, Maka
It's not 85k here in Australia though is it.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/one...n-bound-for-oz

Hellcat Widebody’s cost another US$10K at point of sale, and Demon’s another US$23K, so we’re told a converted Demon will cost its local customer over AU$200K.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-06-2018, 09:05 PM   #62
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
It's not 85k here in Australia though is it.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/one...n-bound-for-oz

Hellcat Widebody’s cost another US$10K at point of sale, and Demon’s another US$23K, so we’re told a converted Demon will cost its local customer over AU$200K.
Yep, that price is in USD, though its not coming to Oz through official channels unlike the $263,000 Tesla.

So for a private importer importing a one off & converting it to rhd + complying it etc it still costs heaps like the Tesla.

If it was imported officially, the price would be a fair bit cheaper hey. My fact checking was not a finger pointing excercise, just verifying its factual cost whether here or elsewhere.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2018, 09:35 PM   #63
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
For now PHEV and home solar/battery is about the ideal solution.
No, it's really not.

A few things people need to understand.
Firstly, despite all the flagellation, your average domestic home doesn't consume much power. So yes, if you have a house with a big roof and plenty of exposure, solar cells are a feasible (although not economical) solution.
Unfortunately as we move more and more towards multi-story medium and high density, there's just no room for enough panels.
The big consumers are businesses and industry. Think your choice of light-globe will save the planet? Have a gander at how much they're burning.
And again, nowhere near enough room for the panels.

I was involved in (supposedly) the largest off-grid solar project in Australia, and in fact it was my job to produce the reports showing what an abysmal failure it was. Actually costing the company money.
And amongst a myriad of issues, one of the biggest problems was the fekkin batteries.
It's like when you see the guy on the unicycle juggling machetes, and think that's not risky enough let's put a blindfold on him and set the machetes alight.
And it highlights a fundamental issue. Misleading economics aside, solar-power for your home only works because their is a provider who steps up instantaneously to provide extra power as required (and in theory to absorb your excess).

Like many things, I imagine the technology will get there, but for complex setups, it is still a long-way short.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2018, 09:49 PM   #64
nt0351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

driven plenty of upmarket fast cars over the years ,currently own a few nice Euro's, as well as my Ford V8's which i love driving and always will , drove a Tesla S for a week a few months back,.. nothing compare's ,these things are fast, user friendly and a fantastic drive
nt0351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2018, 07:15 PM   #65
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Not yet convinced they'd be great for anybody out in the small places though.

I remember seeing a report that when buying one of these cars you'd need to factor in as much as $15,000 to upgrade house wiring to supply continuous supply if there was no local charging station. That'd mean a lot of this country for some time yet I reckon .https://www.solarquotes.com.au/blog/...ll2-cost-drop/

I did find this real quick though . Still in excess of $10 K on top of the car but so long as there was no big nasty surprises after the 8 year warranty period you'd be well in front perhaps . It's the hidden or little known maintenance costs that might seal or unseal the deal for many .

Last edited by roddy1960; 14-06-2018 at 07:27 PM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2018, 07:32 PM   #66
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post

I remember seeing a report that when buying one of these cars you'd need to factor in as much as $15,000 to upgrade house wiring to supply continuous supply if there was no local charging station. That'd mean a lot of this country for some time yet I reckon .https://www.solarquotes.com.au/blog/...ll2-cost-drop/

I did find this real quick though . Still in excess of $10 K on top of the car but so long as there was no big nasty surprises after the 8 year warranty period you'd be well in front perhaps . It's the hidden or little known maintenance costs that might seal or unseal the deal for many .
Mate the Powerwall 2 is a battery to store your solar energy system power for use in your home, it’s not a system to recharge your Tesla car.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2018, 07:40 PM   #67
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
Mate the Powerwall 2 is a battery to store your solar energy system power for use in your home, it’s not a system to recharge your Tesla car.
Yep , sorry about that I clicked on the wrong link . This one might be closer to the right numbers ..

https://www.evse.com.au/blog/evchargercost/ Sorry again , but I do recall the up to 15K cost for some wanting to charge at home .

If there is no hidden maintenance issues and if the car stands up for 8 years at least over the warranty period it'd be a good alternative for some I suppose .

apologies again for my 'too quick ' click on the wrong link .

Lack of funds and no likelyhood of a local charging station will see me driving a fossil fueller for a fair while yet I expect .
Old 14-06-2018, 07:46 PM   #68
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Yep , sorry about that I clicked on the wrong link . This one might be closer to the right numbers ..

https://www.evse.com.au/blog/evchargercost/ Sorry again , but I do recall the up to 15K cost for some wanting to charge at home .

If there is no hidden maintenance issues and if the car stands up for 8 years at least over the warranty period it'd be a good alternative for some I suppose .

apologies again for my 'too quick ' click on the wrong link .

Lack of funds and no likelyhood of a local charging station will see me driving a fossil fueller for a fair while yet I expect .
No mate, your link says $2500 of hardware and about $800 to $1000 of labour for a home charging system - not $15k.

That sounds like good value.
Old 14-06-2018, 08:18 PM   #69
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
No mate, your link says $2500 of hardware and about $800 to $1000 of labour for a home charging system - not $15k.

That sounds like good value.
Yes I know what that one says , that's pretty good and hopefully would be the case but the report I saw maybe three years ago said to allow for up to $15, 000 depending greatly on the wiring situation of the home in question.

Obviously newer homes will factor in these sort of requirements as they get built but a 130 year old place like mine would need some pretty important checking and fixing before any hardware and installation would even be considered .

What I found a while back was an Australian report and it was text and a short video attachment . Looking for it again but can't find it yet . Will post it when/if I do solong as it hasn't been removed ..
Old 14-06-2018, 08:22 PM   #70
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Yes I know what that one says , that's pretty good and hopefully would be the case but the report I saw maybe three years ago said to allow for up to $15, 000 depending greatly on the wiring situation of the home in question.

Obviously newer homes will factor in these sort of requirements as they get built but a 130 year old place like mine would need some pretty important checking and fixing before any hardware and installation would even be considered .

What I found a while back was an Australian report and it was text and a short video attachment . Looking for it again but can't find it yet . Will post it when/if I do solong as it hasn't been removed ..
It’s a good idea if you have the correct info before you post ‘big statements’.
Old 14-06-2018, 08:58 PM   #71
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

"Australians gearing to add battery-stored solar energy to grid power can buy Elon Musk’s long-awaited Tesla Powerwall system from today. You’ll pay $15000 or more for a full system."

This system has nothing to do with Tesla car recharging, just powering your house afaik.

https://amp.theaustralian.com.au/bus...b808f3a8fe4215

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)

Last edited by Maka; 14-06-2018 at 09:03 PM.
Old 14-06-2018, 09:02 PM   #72
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
It’s a good idea if you have the correct info before you post ‘big statements’.
If the original Australian report from a few years ago is still able to be sourced I'll post it here just for you to read . No big statements either.
Old 14-06-2018, 09:07 PM   #73
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
If the original Australian report from a few years ago is still able to be sourced I'll post it here just for you to read . No big statements either.
Roddy mate,

Get with the times and don’t post crap, do your research and know your subject material please.

Don’t just post links.
Old 14-06-2018, 09:27 PM   #74
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Roddy mate,

Get with the times and don’t post crap, do your research and know your subject material please.

Don’t just post links.
I had to reread my link twice & initially posted wrong info too but i corrected it, imho sounds like Roddy just forgot the facts & got mixed up a bit too like me. Easy enough to do if you just skip through the story like i did the first time i read it lol.

Sounds like Roddy just needed to reread the story to jog his memory. Its not a big deal to me anyway, Roddy is cool by me np at all!

cheers, Maka

Old 14-06-2018, 09:32 PM   #75
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Tesla is shedding nearly 10% of its workforce! The beginning of the end?

https://www.caradvice.com.au/656838/...workforce-cut/
Economic rationalization millennium style lol, if Tesla's stocks tumble hard thats when id be worried about Tesla's demise i reckon.

cheers, Maka

Old 14-06-2018, 09:33 PM   #76
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
I had to reread my link twice & initially posted wrong info too but i corrected it, imho sounds like Roddy just forgot the facts & got mixed up a bit too like me. Easy enough to do if you just skip through the story like i did the first time i read it lol.

Sounds like Roddy just needed to reread the story to jog his memory. Its not a big deal to me anyway, Roddy is cool by me np at all!

cheers, Maka
Maka,

Roddy is a ripper np here either.

Let’s all just post facts .... lol .
Old 14-06-2018, 10:00 PM   #77
nstg8a

Quote:
No one car is good for everybody.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2018, 03:25 PM   #78
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the news today we have the Tesla of the husband of actress Mary McCormack beginning to combust as it drove down Santa Monica Blvd. No apparent force applied to the batteries that would cause them to go into meltdown. Luckily, he was alerted by people nearby and got out of the vehicle.

My question is, with the change in battery makeup (using less cobalt) - are we seeing more fires?
Old 18-06-2018, 12:58 AM   #79
Fordblue1000

Dont think the chemistry is the issue. More likely there are more evs on the road now, and always a good news story on a slow day. The addition of cobalt still has a similar fire risk but usually the bms will manage that in most cases. Remember in the teslas there are thousands of cells! It would be more realistic to see a per capita of vehicle fires rather than just the amount of fires.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk
1963 morris.
1920 model T
Fordblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post