Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 13-01-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
cammag

Default UHF Installation

Has anyone installed a UHF radio?

I really miss having one, just not too sure were to install. Any ideas would be great.

Cheers,

Cam.

Old 14-01-2009, 04:01 PM   #2
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

I would buy the Uniden with the remote face.

Place the main unit up under the dash, and the "face" with the display can go near the gearstick behind that hidden panel.

UHF can be a good thing to have, very handy.

Only thing I dislike about them is the crappy aerial you need...
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
SE Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRsedan
Only thing I dislike about them is the crappy aerial you need...
I just put a glass mount UHF antenna on my falcon, very neat, just looks like a phone car kit antenna.. Works better than expected too (i was told they were crap).. Made by RFI i think..

Not sure about where to mount the unit in a mondeo, not really familiar with them, but the detachable face units make it easier. If you haven't already got your unit, have a look at the icom website, they have a new unit with buttons and display on the mike, so the unit can be hidden away completely.. Very good idea, shame i already had my unit...
SE Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 08:26 PM   #4
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

Mate, what I would do / recommend / have done is to go for an ICOM 440 or The GME 3420 (?) with a controller mic. All you have to do is find a spot for the mic holder. Every thing you need is on the mic. The GME is let down by having a speaker in the box that goes under the seat/behind dash etc. The ICOM has the speaker in the controller mic.
What I do to mount the mic holder is use a dash bracket thats designed to mount a phone onto. The bracket slips up the side of the stereo and is screwed/secured inside the dash.
End result is you have no holes anywhere that are visible.
Couple of pics (different radio, different car but you should get the idea)

redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 09:30 PM   #5
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whats wrong with a hand held with external aerial!

cheers apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 11:24 PM   #6
cammag

Righto, I have been doing a little homework over the last couple of days. I have always been a fan of GME but my last couple of units have been Uniden and they have been problem free. Besides Uniden are quite a bit cheaper, so I went that way. I could not decide between the remote face that LRsedan suggested or the remote handpiece that redxm suggested.

After a bit of thought I went the way of the remote face. I was thinking of mounting in front of the trans shifter also. I was talking to an installer who told me he has fitted a lot of them to cars. He mounts them under the console and claim that they are certainly load enough to still be heard clearly. I am still a little sceptical as to how clear it will be as UHF’s are not very clear at the best of times. But wait and see I suppose.

Have got a good on glass antenna, I liked my stainless whip, but on-glass do look a little better.

Thanks for the help. I will let you know how I get on as well as a post install photo if I can work out how to post it.
Thanks again.
Old 15-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #7
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Yeah If you could post pics of the setup it would be great.

Im always toying with the idea of installing one...
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2009, 08:53 AM   #8
cammag

Thanks again for your ideas, job is done. I changed my mind about what unit to use. I just did not like to look of the remote head unit. The only real place to locate the unit was under the consle forward of the shifter, so I was a little worried about distortion.

I really like the idea of the remote mic/speaker (thanks redxm) but could not spring for the ICOM. Went for the uniden model quite a bit cheaper, but not as good though, but still pretty good (I hope).

I also installed a car kit at the same time mounted up on the other side of the console facia from the remote, it doesn't look as neat , but phones never are. The facia inserts are about $30 each. So once you remove the units and fit the inserts it will be as good as new.

Cheers,

Cam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0551.JPG (24.7 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0553.JPG (25.8 KB, 57 views)