Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 11-10-2008, 09:30 PM   #1
warren77

Default Air Conditioning - not cold

So tried the air con in the XR5 Mondeo today.
Put it on lowest temp, highest fan.
Even after 15 minutes of cruising, car was not cold. Even if put your hand into the vent, the air just wasn't that cold.

Sent an email asking for a warranty service on Tuesday, as others have done.

Will let you guys know how it goes.

Warren

warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2008, 09:42 PM   #2
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Warren

Try using a thermometer and see what it reads when placed near the vents I will try to do mine tomorrow just out of curiosity

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 09:58 AM   #3
Lord Viykor
XR5 convert

Mine gets cool, not exactly cold but the again we haven't really tested it out properly.

One thing I have noticed is it takes a little while to get cool.
The mods: Window tint | Fomoco alloy pedals | Red painted brake calipers | THB Bury bluetooth | Bluefin | GGR CAI | Bilstein B6 sports dampers | Eilbach lowered coils | 2XS Inhaler (Top Induction Pipe) | EBC Ultimax discs and EBC red stuff brake pads | Mongoose 3" dump with Mongoose 3" 200 cell cat into custom system with Varex mufflers | Forge re-circ valve | Airtech intercooler coming soon
Lord Viykor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 11:16 AM   #4
PedroinTas
Frozen White Mondeo TDCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren77
So tried the air con in the XR5 Mondeo today.
Put it on lowest temp, highest fan.
Even after 15 minutes of cruising, car was not cold. Even if put your hand into the vent, the air just wasn't that cold.

Sent an email asking for a warranty service on Tuesday, as others have done.

Will let you guys know how it goes.

Warren
That's one thing I stipulated when ordering last week. The Ford guys weren't aware that the cars seem to be arriving undergassed. I told them to ensure that it's fully charged, after all it's easier for them to do it pre-delivery than have to do a warranty job on it. (That and the latest updates).
PedroinTas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 04:01 PM   #5
warren77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Viykor
Mine gets cool, not exactly cold but the again we haven't really tested it out properly.

One thing I have noticed is it takes a little while to get cool.
My previous car - RX2.5 Liberty - got cold straight away. Great air conditioning system.

So maybe my expectations are a bit high. However, after cruising for 15 minutes, outside temp max of 25, and the air con on low/max fan, I would expect the cabin to artic.
It wasn't even chilly.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:34 PM   #6
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My previous car - RX2.5 Liberty - got cold straight away. Great air conditioning system.

So maybe my expectations are a bit high. However, after cruising for 15 minutes, outside temp max of 25, and the air con on low/max fan, I would expect the cabin to artic.
It wasn't even chilly.
Well I just checked mine right now and with the temp set to 16C on auto[max fan speed]my test instrument measured 7.7C at the vent might do a temperature measurement from the back seats but then again if the car is left in the sun as opposed to a garage it may be a different story on how long it takest to cool the car down!

apstar
Old 13-10-2008, 11:54 AM   #7
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I had a Ford Company demo Mondeo last summer, and they do struggle.

A full year in my own one will tell one way or another.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 02:50 PM   #8
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I failed to mention the car was out in the sun after a 2 hr trip and no tint

apstar
Old 13-10-2008, 07:21 PM   #9
warren77

Booked in on Wednesday - spoke to a dealer near work. If they found no fault with the air con, I would be charged $75.
I asked if they had too much work, becaue they obviously didn't want mine.

So all the Perth people, who is a decent Ford dealer?
Old 14-10-2008, 02:12 AM   #10
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Booked in on Wednesday - spoke to a dealer near work. If they found no fault with the air con, I would be charged $75.
I asked if they had too much work, becaue they obviously didn't want mine.

So all the Perth people, who is a decent Ford dealer?
I don't think you'd find a Ford dealer that won't charge you for labour trying to diagnose a problem, even if they can't find it. There are decent Ford dealers around, just don't expect them not to charge you for their time trying to find out whether there is a problem with your air conditioning.

I've tried servicing my car at three different dealerships: Titan Ford, Park Ford and McInerney Ford. Overall, for customer service, I found McInerney Ford to be the best of the three.
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2008, 02:08 PM   #11
warren77

The Mondeo is my third new car in 8 years, having previously had two Subis. I had a particular issue with my central locking and the car was looked at over 5 times in a month, with them being unable to replicate the fault. At no time was I charged - in fact, every time the car went in, it was washed and cleaned at no charge.

I did make sure today that the form I signed did not have a service charge on it.

I would've thought it was in the best interest of the dealers to find faults that are covered by warranty, to claim back back from Ford.

They are going to stick a thermometer into the vent and see what the reading is. Unfortunately I didn't have one at home so couldn't do that myself.
Old 15-10-2008, 06:44 PM   #12
warren77

Update: system was low on gas. No leaks were found.

Hopefully that will make it nice and frosty now!
Old 08-01-2009, 10:30 AM   #13
Katoomba

Quote:
Update: system was low on gas. No leaks were found.

Hopefully that will make it nice and frosty now!
Is it, Warren?

We had a late start to summer here and over the last few weeks I've realised how poor the a/c is especially with the lack of rear seat vents.

My 2000 Laser which has never had any a/c maintenance since new is waaaayyy colder and faster getting there.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:14 AM   #14
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My a/c is lousy too. will get it looked at.
My old BA was heaps better built than the mondeo.
I wish i had of bought bf2 runout

I noticed in a review of the new fiesta in drive or carsguide that it mentioned
"air cond blows luke warm not cold"
Is this a Ford thing now, crappy ac?
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2009, 07:25 PM   #15
TITO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We picked up a new November build 2008 Mondeo Zetec a few weeks ago and the aircon is excellent even with todays temperature's in Sydney's west. So far the car is perfect.
TITO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2009, 04:41 PM   #16
ian b

Over the past few days I set my climate to "auto" & 21 deg and the cabin temperature was comfortable within about 10kms, this after the car sat outside from 7am to 6pm in the work carpark.

As I said on an earlier post, I suppose it depends upon your own personal preferences, but I am happy with the A/C.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:02 AM   #17
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been really pleasantly surprised with how well the car has kept up during Sydney's recent heat wave; usage similar to ian b.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 10:23 AM   #18
scribbly

yep, 43deg here in Central Vic on Saturday. Aircon in house shutdown because of smoke & fire threat from nearby fires but vehicle aircon performed beautifully.

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 08:16 PM   #19
Kariharnett
Lil Henry

i have a 07 fiesta that had crap a/c, took it back and they said it had low gas and now its cold it frosts up the windows at night. must be a ford thing on all new fords.
Kariharnett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post