Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 26-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #1
Wazm
Starter Motor

Default Ordered my Mondeo

Hi, I have just placed an order for my new Mondeo diesel sedan in ink blue with leather and bluetooth. I am told it is on the docks in Melbourne and will take 8-10 days to get to the dealer in Orange. Slow truck I guess :

I do about 30k a year so the diesel made sense to me. I didn't want to add anything else that I could add later as it just increases the capital value on the lease. I am after suggestions for addons. I want mats but are the Premium carpet mats worth it? I need a tow bar too. What is the advantage in getting the Ford one over after market? Still thinking about mud flaps etc too. Any thoughs from experience greatly appreciated.

Warren

Wazm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Welcome to the club Warren look any decent floor mats will do if you can find them the Ford one's have clips on the fronts so that you can take them out dash mat could come in handy during the summer months I think you should think about the mud flaps easy to install and do save s.h.i.t from getting onto the body work maybe tinting might come in handy for you bush people ;)

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
Wazm
Starter Motor

Hi apstar. I called today to get a price on tinting $365. I called the local ford spare parts and asked about a wiring harness for the towbar. He asked me if there was a towbar for the mondeo as he had no listing. The only harness he had on his computer was a generic one for any model ford. used:

I might go with the towbar from opposite lock and save $400
Old 26-02-2009, 10:45 PM   #4
TITO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Welcome Warren a fine machine your getting there. We added mud spats window tint and the premium carpet[they have the Ford logo and are shaped to fit the floor and have clips to keep them in place] slim line weather shields which has the factory tint I guess they are good if you like leaving the window down a few cm on rainy days just stops those drops from comming in. I wouldn't worry to much about the wiring harness as one will fit all better off getting it at the towbar shop. Great car.

Last edited by TITO; 26-02-2009 at 10:59 PM.
TITO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 11:01 PM   #5
zetec
Zoom Zoom

any accessories fitted from factory are covered by the 3 year factory warranty.

Carpet mats from Ford will be the BEST possible quality you can find, fit to the millimetre and will happily never give you any problems. They're inconspicuous, ford logo that suits the car and honestly the best choice. Aftermarket onces will never be thr same colour, never fit perfectly and almost never the same quality, but often almost a similr price. For around $110 for Premium Mats or on a budget - $51 for regular ones, it's a no brainer - Genuine all the way.

For the towbar, same story, but pricing's pretty similar to aftermarket I think - much less of a difference. If that's the case, again, Genuine is obvious. Safer with 3yr warranty, you know it suits the car and the wiring harness will suit. Pain free.

Tell your Dealer to look again, I'm sure people on here have one...
Old 27-02-2009, 08:29 AM   #6
Wazm
Starter Motor

The problem with the towbar seems to be, as I was told by the dealer, is that the genuine will turn off the reverse parking sensors when the trailer is plugged in. As the sensors should only work when in reverse, that shouldn't be too much of a problem. I mean how often do you actually go backwards with a trailer and for how long! The cost difference as quoted is $900 for genuine and $495 aftermarket. I have an aftermarket towbar from these guys on my Mazda 6 at present and it has been perfect so quality shouldn't be a problem.

I am getting the car on a novated lease and so the more it costs the more it screws with my salary packaging and the fringe benefits tax. It is better to add a few things later and not keep paying for them for the life of the car in extra tax. (things are done a little differently in NSW health : )

I found a set of headlight protectors on Ebay last night so the purchase of accessories has begun!
Old 27-02-2009, 11:38 AM   #7
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I wouldn't worry about the headlight protectors.

I've been to Hella in Melbourne, where they (use to) to make all the headlights for cars in Australia (and I think they would do the Mondeo ones in Europe), and hit one with a hammer as hard as I could and it bounced off and didn't leave a mark.

My Dad had a Vectra, was in a head on and the headlights didn't crack. I've got a picture if you want to see it, but I can't load it up here. In my BA I Futura, I did 175K in 3 years, mostly highway and never had a cracked headlight - plenty of blown globes and dints and stone chips on the bonnet though.

I went for the bonnet protector as I do a lot of country miles, and this is a great investment - just make sure they fit it properly. I also got the factory mats (mine aren't the premium ones I don't think, but the drivers will be replaced, starting to come apart, hello warranty!), and the mud flaps.

I'm getting too old and stiff to be fiddling around putting stuff on cars. Mine's on a lease, not novated though.

I also got the tow bar from Ford - they threw it in as a sweetener when I cracked it about delivery time (3+ months! consider yourself lucky). The dealer told me the harness is needed to stop a short circuit that may cause a fire. Don't know if there is any truth to it, but I didn't pay for it, so I don't think he'd be lying to me.

My missus drives it more than me, and I love the economy of the diesel - done about 25K, and it's averaging around 7 l/100kms. I never turn the A/C off, and the sunroof is almost always open to tilt. You will love the economy too.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 01:25 PM   #8
Wazm
Starter Motor

Hi Dusty1. I already bought the protectors but I think they will be worth it even if to just stop scratches. I drive from Bathurst to Orange every day and the crap that the trucks throw at you is amazing. I have quite a few cracks and scratches in the protectors on my Mazda now.

Hayman Reese make a Mondeo towbar , $392, that is under warranty for as long as the purchaser owns the car. The wiring harness is $95 from Ford so all I need is the price to fit them which I am waiting on from Opposite Lock and all should be good.

Wish the sales guys here would throw in something. Guess with less option to shop round like you have in the city they don't need to try as hard.
Old 27-02-2009, 05:16 PM   #9
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Good move with the tow bar. I just kept on riding them. I even started to call the sales manager at the dealership 'bad news brad' because every time he called up he had bad news. They also threw in two free services!

Mine was one of the first into Australia, so we had a wait. Three months for me. They also lobbed $250 off the price for me, and then when they sent the lease through to the lease company, they sent it through without the $250 off it!

It can be hard to get some accessories for it, I needed windowsox and found them no drama. Some people are having trouble finding a dash mat. I don't like them and wouldn't have one, but they are listed at accessoriesonline.com.au. Just checked and they must be in strife due to the fires. I should say they were listed there last time I checked.

I'm very happy with the car, and haven't had any issues with it. There are some things that irritate me, but I wouldn't go as far to say I'd change it over. My lease it up next year, and I might even buy the car. I have a 4 month old daughter, and need the space, so I will certainly look at another Mondeo, maybe even the wagon.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Old 27-02-2009, 11:21 PM   #10
PedroinTas
Frozen White Mondeo TDCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazm
Hi, I have just placed an order for my new Mondeo diesel sedan in ink blue with leather and bluetooth. I am told it is on the docks in Melbourne and will take 8-10 days to get to the dealer in Orange. Slow truck I guess :

I do about 30k a year so the diesel made sense to me. I didn't want to add anything else that I could add later as it just increases the capital value on the lease. I am after suggestions for addons. I want mats but are the Premium carpet mats worth it? I need a tow bar too. What is the advantage in getting the Ford one over after market? Still thinking about mud flaps etc too. Any thoughs from experience greatly appreciated.

Warren
Congrats on the purchase. Had my diesel since October and couldn't be happier. Got the towpack and couldn't be happier with it, not that I do much towing but it was handy and the money wasn't an issue. Definately the tinting and the premium mats and mudflaps are worth their weight in gold. Aircon's still a little weak (dealer says it's up to spec but since they screwed up on everything else, next service will be with their rivals), but the max we have to contend with down here is 36C so I'm happy enough to get in and punch auto.

helluva good car in IMHO and still rare enough that it gets a helluva lot of double takes as people walk past it in the street (driving into the car park of the local shopping centre and a bunch of P-platers in a Lancer were coming out. At least one literally stopped in mid sentence and their jaws dropped as they watched it drive in). Whatever you have to say about the Mondy, it still looks Sh$t hot....Good choice and enjoy
Bluetooth
Euro Plates
Towpack
:
PedroinTas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2009, 10:14 AM   #11
warren77

I have the XR5 model Mondeo. I am looking at a tow bar for two reasons:
1) A bike Rack
2) Tow a trailler once every 12 months for max of 30km

At $1,000 it is cheaper for me to borrow a mate's car and buy him a slab for it.

My dealer didn't say that it would cause a short circuit - logic says that if it did, then don't park the car in a garage and leave the sensors on. Doesn't make sense to me and sounds like he is feeding you a line. I would be challenging him on that and asking for the recall notice to fix the problem as you don't want a car which can short circuit during normal use.
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2009, 07:38 PM   #12
Wazm
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren77
My dealer didn't say that it would cause a short circuit - logic says that if it did, then don't park the car in a garage and leave the sensors on. Doesn't make sense to me and sounds like he is feeding you a line.
I agree. One guy told me that they may need a special harness if they had Leds. I don't have a car as yet (still waiting but at least it has left Melbourne, I am told), but even if there are Led lamps the leds and their resistors would be in the globes and not somewhere up front. The electronics to convert a small current into a large current to power the trailer lamps would cost more than $95! Besides, fueses are there to stop shorts which cause fires.

The only thing it could do is turn off the sensors when the trailer is plugged in. Can anyone confirm that this does indeed happen?
Old 07-03-2009, 12:12 PM   #13
Wazm
Starter Motor

Quote:

The only thing it could do is turn off the sensors when the trailer is plugged in. Can anyone confirm that this does indeed happen?

Guess no one has used their towbar used:

Got a delivery date at last. Tuesday at 3pm I take delivery :
Old 07-03-2009, 05:38 PM   #14
scribbly

My factory fitted towbar turns off the rear sensors when plugged in. It also provides info to the dash electronics in that it'll tell you if the trailer has a blown bulb in a turn indicator or stop light. The system has a great smart design. :

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2009, 06:06 PM   #15
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One good thing with headlight protectors is they prevent the headlights from yellowing due to UV.
Now they may claim the headlights are UV stabilised but I guarantee you within 5 years time they will start showing the signs of ageing. Especially with the Aussie sun as harsh as it is.
Ive seen 2-3 year old cars that are starting to go yellow.

My EL has headlight protectors and the lights are like brand new.

I know 3M sell a contact that would also be just as effective though.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2009, 06:11 PM   #16
Wazm
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbly
My factory fitted towbar turns off the rear sensors when plugged in. It also provides info to the dash electronics in that it'll tell you if the trailer has a blown bulb in a turn indicator or stop light. The system has a great smart design. :
Thanks for letting me know. If I can just find out the part number I will order it in. The local dealer says it doesn't exist but from what you say it certainly does.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #17
scribbly

When the towbar was fitted, the dealer had to readjust the system programming.
Maybe that's what your dealer is not aware of.

MA Mondeo
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
Old 10-03-2009, 01:29 PM   #18
Wazm
Starter Motor

Quote:
When the towbar was fitted, the dealer had to readjust the system programming.
Maybe that's what your dealer is not aware of.
I have the feeling that the local dealer isn't aware of too much when it comes to the Mondeo.

Makes sense that there would be some programming involved. Called a Sydney dealer yesterday and he said there is a Mondeo only cable and it costs $76. 3 dealers 3 different stories/prices. At least the price is on the way down.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:53 AM   #19
Wazm
Starter Motor

Picked up the car yesterday :

Initial impressions are that it is a great car with heaps of power. Very different to drive from the mazda 6 which was very sporty in comparison. It does however turn heads. My neighbor, who talks to us very rarely was out doing something to his car and dropped what he was doing (and his jaw literally) and after staring at the car as I turned into my drive, came straight over to see the car. Very satisfying response from a 100% Holden guy

Drove into work this morning at 6am and I am very impressed with the head lights. just wish I knew where the high beam switch is used: Into the manual later I guess. The voice control is fun to play with and I think I am getting the hang of how to talk to it.

All in all, a great car and I am looking forward to our first trip at Easter.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #20
scribbly

Pull the indicator stalk towards yourself until it clicks and then release.
It takes a little time to get used to but like all things it's second nature now.

MA Mondeo
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
Old 11-03-2009, 09:48 PM   #21
Wazm
Starter Motor

Quote:
Pull the indicator stalk towards yourself until it clicks and then release.
It takes a little time to get used to but like all things it's second nature now.
Thanks for that. After years of having cars that you push the leaver to get high beam, they change it so you need to pull it towards you. Typical Honestly never thought to try that. All's good now. Thanks again.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #22
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Thanks for that. After years of having cars that you push the leaver to get high beam, they change it so you need to pull it towards you. Typical Honestly never thought to try that. All's good now. Thanks again.
All European cars have been like that since Jesus got his licence... :
Old 12-03-2009, 12:00 AM   #23
PedroinTas
Frozen White Mondeo TDCI

Quote:
My impression entirely. However after the initial WTF, i've found that it's actually more sensible than the old push away then reach to switch off. A simple pull and you flash, a bit more and it's on, easy flick and it's off again. Still occaisionally go for the wipers when i want to turn though (only early in the morning of course and it's only ever down the bottom of the street).
Bluetooth
Euro Plates
Towpack
:
PedroinTas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 02:13 AM   #24
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ah, a man who's never used main beam on a Honda! They've been like that forever.

Agreed, the Mondeo feels very different to the Mazda 6. Much more Whoosh Whoosh than Zoom Zoom. You can certainly drive a Mondeo as quickly as a 6, but it just never feels like you're going that fast. I'd like more steering feel, but I think that's due to the tall sidewalls on the standard 16" tyres. I should soon have 18s on the car, which I expect to improve the steering and handling.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:08 PM   #25
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Best one I ever had - press switch on the floor of my HT to get the high beam to work. Surprisingly, it worked despite most of the floor pan rusted out and replaced by wood.
Previous:
Old 12-03-2009, 08:04 PM   #26
Wazm
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
Best one I ever had - press switch on the floor of my HT to get the high beam to work. Surprisingly, it worked despite most of the floor pan rusted out and replaced by wood.

Gota agree. Don't know why they moved away from the floor switch. It was easy and reliable. Showing my age now I guess

Found the towbar harness. Seems there is 2 different setups depending on the year and month of manufacture of the car. Only took about 10 phone calls to 4 different dealers and an yet to be answered email to Ford

Last edited by Wazm; 12-03-2009 at 08:13 PM.