Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 03-03-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
Katoomba

Default That wide dashboard

I put the new rego sticker on last Monday (it's hard to believe I've had the car for a year now) and had to use some metho to get rid of the sticky gunk from the old label.

A few drops fell on top of the dashboard and although it's barely noticeable they left a slight greyish tinge. I also notice the whole dashboard is getting a rather dusty/dirty look that is not removed by wiping with a damp rag.

Is anybody using some kind of product on it to keep it clean? I wouldn't want to use Amourgard or anything that leaves a shine as the normal reflection of the dashboard in the windscreen is bad enough.,

Old 03-03-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Keeping it clean is easy I use just the feather duster the motorized version you see on TV the problem I see happening is that it looks like drying out and will get cracks in it so you will need something to keep it soft yep like Amour all

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #3
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was told using amorall will speed up cracking if not applicated on a regular basis.
I reccomend using autoglym dash care treatment its a little pricey but work really well . Or get a dash mat
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2009, 08:13 AM   #4
Katoomba

Yes, I did get the impression it will start cracking eventually because it just has they 'dryish' look about it.

I'll check out the autoglym - does that make the dash shiny?

I haven't come across dash mats for Mondeos yet - I'll have to check around.

Thanks for the answers.

Cheers.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:03 AM   #5
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

You need some GPC - General Purpose Cleaner.

Dilute it 10:1 and wipe over the dash, this cleans it.

Then either leave bare, or dress it in a UV blocker.

Both 303 Aerospace protectant and Vinylex dressings leave the dashboard in a matte finish to reduce glare, but provide UV protection.

Products can be bought at either

www.waxit.com.au or www.finalinspection.com.au/store.

DO NOY use armoural, it contains silicone. Whilst it makes it look better, the silicone actually draws moisture out of the dash. So unless you reapply it very often, it will do more damage than good.

303 and vinylex and a few other such as Autoglym, duragloss, poorboys, chemical guys etc are all safer options.
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2009, 10:07 AM   #6
warren77

LR Sedan

Any suggestions for the leather seats in the XR5? Not sure if normal leather cleaners and conditioners will work on that leather.
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2009, 11:25 AM   #7
Dusty1
Giddy up!

This might seem like heresy, but I thought that all vinyls now had UV inhibitors in them to stop cracking.

I know the dash on the Mondeo is long and wide, but surely now Ford and other car manufacturers must get onto the suppliers and tell them that they don't want cracks any more. I know my old HT Kingswood had some nasty cracks that could (and did) draw blood on the dash, but surely vinyl technology has increased and cracking dashboards are a thing of the past.

Again, the only thing recently I can compare it to was my 2002 BA I Futura. That car was always parked on the street in full sun, and I did over 175K in three years. There weren't any cracks on the dash from sun, or anything else.

Perhaps a post on the Euro site asking if they have had the issue might help clarify things. There are some guys there from Israel, Portugal, Turkey and other hot places who have had the cars for longer than us, and also for at least one more summer.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2009, 11:55 AM   #8
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use Amourall Low Sheen for my dash, doors etc. Amourall Leather Wipes for cleaning leather and every six months give the leather a professional clean. Kits available in furniture stores etc.
I would have thought if Amourall caused plastic to crack it would have been mentioned before now ?. Amourall has been around for years
Old 05-03-2009, 12:20 AM   #9
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren77
LR Sedan

Any suggestions for the leather seats in the XR5? Not sure if normal leather cleaners and conditioners will work on that leather.
Normal leather conditioners should be fine, but may lack a few ingredients especially for cars, like UV inhibitors. This is purely a guess however.

The zaino range is great. Its what I use on my car(s).

Z9 to clean, and Z10 to moisturise and condition the leather.

Available from www.waxit.com.au

It may not exactly be cheap, but Im yet to meet someone who was disappointed by the results. You use it sparingly, so the product lasts a very long time. So in the end, its quite cost effective.

It also smells great, and leaves a nice leather scent in the car.
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 04:58 PM   #10
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yippeeefinally got my dash mat which was made in Feb 09 just sitting there at the moment thanks Bucknaked for the part number that did the trick even though they had a different part #

apstar
Old 06-03-2009, 09:55 PM   #11
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
Yippeeefinally got my dash mat which was made in Feb 09 just sitting there at the moment thanks Bucknaked for the part number that did the trick even though they had a different part #

apstar
Good stuff. Glad to see you finally got one. Happy to help.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2009, 09:34 AM   #12
Katoomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar

apstar
I misssed Bucknaked's post somewhere along the line. So are these mats available in Oz or did you import it?
Old 07-03-2009, 11:52 AM   #13
MondeoManiac
Starter Motor

Looks good apstar, now I have dash mat envy!
Old 07-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #14
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoomba
I misssed Bucknaked's post somewhere along the line. So are these mats available in Oz or did you import it?
Here is the post from another thread. This should give you the information to go with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I rang my local dealer today and they had 1 dash mat in stock. So I picked it up on the way home. Cost was $65.50.

What I've found is these are quite thin, unlike the sunland mats. But it offers unconditional lifetime guarantee. And it's going to do the job, so it's fine. From memory, this is the same make of mat I had on my SR focus, and I never had an issue with it. Perfect fit and protected the dash well.

If you have no luck with your dealer, try John McGrath Ford Spares in Canberra. Number is (02) 6122 2222. I am sure they can arrange postage to you. If not, try Bayford Spares in Melbourne. I know they ship as I've ordered ford parts from them before.

The mat is made by Shevron, web address http://www.shevron.com.au. Code on the ticket is "DM1068 Coal" For MA Mondeo.

Good luck.
Apstar might be able to add more to the thread.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2009, 01:32 AM   #15
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoomba
Ring COMMAND AUTO GROUP 97140900 Silverwater Sydney tell them were you live and they will tell you your nearest auto dealer that deals with them insist the part number is DM1068 COAL [if they have an old catalogue it will be wrong] they had 3 in stock when I rang so now unless someone else got one its 2 left

apstar
Old 08-03-2009, 01:45 AM   #16
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
This might seem like heresy, but I thought that all vinyls now had UV inhibitors in them to stop cracking.

I know the dash on the Mondeo is long and wide, but surely now Ford and other car manufacturers must get onto the suppliers and tell them that they don't want cracks any more. I know my old HT Kingswood had some nasty cracks that could (and did) draw blood on the dash, but surely vinyl technology has increased and cracking dashboards are a thing of the past.

Again, the only thing recently I can compare it to was my 2002 BA I Futura. That car was always parked on the street in full sun, and I did over 175K in three years. There weren't any cracks on the dash from sun, or anything else.

Perhaps a post on the Euro site asking if they have had the issue might help clarify things. There are some guys there from Israel, Portugal, Turkey and other hot places who have had the cars for longer than us, and also for at least one more summer.
Its not just UV, its the constant heating and cooling. Have a feel of your dash in the middle of summer, its got to be 70degrees+. All dashes will crack eventually, if exposed to the same conditions. They should last atleast 10 years though, where the older cars use to crack within a few years.
The only ones that wont crack are the pre-60s steel ones ;)
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2009, 01:57 AM   #17
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
The only ones that wont crack are the pre-60s steel ones ;)
Like my 1956 FJ Holden that I had

apstar
Old 08-03-2009, 10:51 AM   #18
Katoomba

Thanks for the info on the dash mats, folks.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:50 AM   #19
MondeoManiac
Starter Motor

Just fitted the dash mat to my Mondeo, was in stock at the local AutoPro. I really like that the cut-out for the passenger airbag is almost invisible, wouldn't see it unless I was looking for it!
Old 11-03-2009, 09:29 PM   #20
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondeoManiac
Just fitted the dash mat to my Mondeo, was in stock at the local AutoPro. I really like that the cut-out for the passenger airbag is almost invisible, wouldn't see it unless I was looking for it!
yeh hinged flap was a great idea simple really when you think of it
:togo:

apstar
Old 15-04-2009, 12:46 PM   #21
amb2600
parts seller

Default Dash mats

??? I have been selling theses for over 12 months, availiable in black or charcoal, $90 plus $5 fright.

If you need any parts, genuine or after market , sent an e-mail.

Cheers
mk1developments@bigpond.com
amb2600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 08:54 PM   #22
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by amb2600
??? I have been selling theses for over 12 months, availiable in black or charcoal, $90 plus $5 fright.
A $5 fright? Doesn't sound very exciting - how much for Really Scary?

(Sorry)
Old 15-04-2009, 10:41 PM   #23
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by amb2600

If you need any parts, genuine or after market , sent an e-mail.

Cheers
Not at that price I paid $60!!

apstar
Old 16-04-2009, 06:51 AM   #24
scribbly

Apstar, that can be fixed. $60 + $35 freight!

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post