Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 09-02-2009, 01:53 AM   #1
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Are Mondeo's any good? wife wants one.

I know nothing about Mondeo's, are they made locally, whats the motors like, are they OK. Are the 6 speed autos Ok or is it continually hunting for gears because it has so many to choose from
Spotted a 07 MA LX with 9000 kays, the pics of the interior are OK but the seats look like they're out of a base model Pulsar.
I was impressed with all the safety features listed.
How many models are there, not looking at diesel or turbo.
What are the upgrades, anything I should stay away from or look at?
Any help or info appreciated?

Old 09-02-2009, 02:50 AM   #2
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They're a good car but more suited to motorway/country use than tight city driving. Very quiet and comfortable. The Mondeo is actually wider than a Falcon - heaps of room, especially in the back seat. The diesels drive much better than the petrol models, apart from the XR5 with the 2.5 turbo.

I'm from NZ so don't know all the details of the Aussie Mondeo specs. We get either a 2.0 petrol with a 5 speed manual or the 2.3 6 speed auto. They are Mazda engines (Mazda 6) made at a Ford plant in Mexico. Both have chain drives for the camshafts so no belts to replace. The diesel is a Ford/Peugot engine. The cars are built in Belgium.

The 6 speed auto is fine, doesn't hunt. Not quite as good as the ZF 6 speed in the Falcon, but very close. The seats may look basic, but they're very comfortable - IMO better than the seats in the Falcon XR6.

The base model has all the safety features but is a bit lacking in features, e.g. no climate air, steel wheels. I'd definitely go for a Zetec if you can.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cheers NZ, well by the sounds of it the economy on a petrol wouldn't be too special if it's bigger than a falcon.
The Turbo diesel is a bit out of my price range.
thanks again
Old 09-02-2009, 09:00 PM   #4
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
cheers NZ, well by the sounds of it the economy on a petrol wouldn't be too special if it's bigger than a falcon.
thanks again
I have the TDCi and has meet all of my expectations cannot speak for the petrol version but that torque is very handy to have it's a heavy car IMHO for a petrol engine why don't you try and find a demo diesel that should cut off a few $$$$$!

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 10:03 PM   #5
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
thanks again
But it's lighter than a Falcon and is a four. I get about 9.5 l/100 km (30 mpg) in mixed city / highway driving. The 6 speed auto really helps - it's only doing about 2,000 rpm at 100 km/h. And the change down to 5th is very smooth.

I'm very happy with mine. The Accord and Mazda 6 certainly have better performance, but the 2.3 does the job.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:16 PM   #6
zetec
Zoom Zoom

It competes VERY well with a Falcon in pretty much every way you can measure. It's not wider, but it does have more rear leg room, better head room and a FAR bigger boot.

More economical too, very well built and pack with aribags and safety... pretty hard to beat.

Many men in this world would do well to have a wife as smart as yours
Old 10-02-2009, 08:14 AM   #7
cammag

Excellent use of interior space by ford. It may be a medium sized car, but here is a lot of space inside. Having only had large cars; EL Falcon, VX Commodre and a TL Magna (whoopsie) it is a little smaller inside but not in any way that I have found annoying, difficult or uncomfortable. I do like the switches and gauges. Plenty of adjustments with seat and steering wheel. The seats are comfy, the fabric can be a little abrasive on the skin sometimes.

I am happy with the fuel economy, but I really was surprised about how sluggish the 2.3l petrol is. Don't get me wrong, I am loving the fuel economy, that is why we bought it.

The boot is BIG. But to really use it, the hatch is the way to go. The boot opening on the sedan is a little small.

We looked at a Camry & a Mazda 6. I didn't look at anything else. I found myself falling asleep every time I looked a Camry sleep: sleep: sleep:. When I saw a Mondeo I forgot about about the Mazda 6.

I can't say I have had any dramas when driving around in Brisbane. Very happy driving around Brisbane in it. Maybe the wagons are different, I don't know.

I suppose we have a had a few little niggerly problems and issues like most others. For a European car, I did expect better build quality. I still have concerns about build quality. Mind you I was not happy with the build quality of the other cars we have owned.

I thought voice control/blue tooth would have been a great feature to have, but there have been a lot of criticisms of it.♦

But overall I am very happy with it. And more importantly for me, the wife loves it too.

Just my thoughts. I hope they help.

Cheers,

Cam
Old 10-02-2009, 11:46 AM   #8
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Developed jointly with Volvo and shares some engines with some Volvo models. Seats are cheap and they reporedly wear out very quickly if not protected so it might be worth considering the leather heated seats option (if they look like better quality) or at least some quality seat covers. Roomy and handles well.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:48 AM   #9
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

PS spend $20 and buy the "Dog and Lemon Guide" http://dogandlemon.com/ from a newagent and then at least you will know what to expect whatever you buy.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:55 PM   #10
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the responses all, yes I'm just a bit concerned about the interior finish, will go and check some out in the flesh on the weekend.
I've spotted a nice XR6 with only 9000 kays in a orange that I like but she says it's too big and she can't park it, we currently have a BA Futura thats all scratched up from her parking attempts.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:57 PM   #11
BrisVegas
Noobie

parking a Falcon vs Mondeo wouldn't be a big difference IMHO. If you want something zippier, consider the Focus. If I was getting a Mondeo, it would have to be the TDCi. The car is just too big for the poor little 2.3 petrol.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2009, 10:07 PM   #12
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks for the responses all, yes I'm just a bit concerned about the interior finish, will go and check some out in the flesh on the weekend.
I've spotted a nice XR6 with only 9000 kays in a orange that I like but she says it's too big and she can't park it, we currently have a BA Futura thats all scratched up from her parking attempts.
I had a BA Fairmont before the Mondeo and the Mondeo is no easier to park. It has a bigger turning circle so if anything it is harder to park in tight car parks. Luckily it has front/rear parking sensors (Zetec) so that makes life a bit easier for the other half.

If I was you I would go for a Zetec over the base model. For a start the trim is nicer plus there is a host of other features that the base model does not have. I see you are from Perth? The Air Con in the Mondeo is nothing compared to a Falcon, I am actually very disappointed with it. The car itself is very good and much much better built then the local Fords, however it is not perfect and I have picked many faults with it over the last 15k, but you just live with them because it all "normal" according to Ford.

It is a great car and a joy to drive, lot more comfortable then a BA and the 6 speed auto is fantastic and certainly does not hunt for gears. The tank will take about 66-69L of fuel and we get anywhere from 740-780kms from 95PULP with the AC on all the time and 60:40 split between freeway and city driving.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:19 PM   #13
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrisVegas
The car is just too big for the poor little 2.3 petrol.
Sorry buy I tend to disagree with this comment. You can not compare it to a Falcon for power to weight ratio, but it is by no means too big for the 2.3 engine.

Just recently did a 900km round trip down south towing a 400kg jet ski and had no issues at all. Same goes for around town and our dismal freeways where you can not do the speed limit half the time anyway.

Check the petrol engine options in for Mondeo in Europe 1.6L, 1.8L, 2.0L, 2.3L and 2.5L Turbo.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:56 AM   #14
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My previous company car was an XR6 and if anything it was easier to park than the Mondeo. I really wish my wagon had parking sensors as you can't see the corners of the car. But a lot of modern cars are hard to park.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:03 AM   #15
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammag
I am happy with the fuel economy, but I really was surprised about how sluggish the 2.3l petrol is. Don't get me wrong, I am loving the fuel economy, that is why we bought it.
I was going to buy the diesel but the dealer had a 2.3l petrol demonstrator heavily discounted. The performance is fine now that I'm running it on 95 octane petrol. Very sluggish on the Ford NZ recommended 91.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammag
I can't say I have had any dramas when driving around in Brisbane. Very happy driving around Brisbane in it. Maybe the wagons are different, I don't know.
I meant CBD driving in cities like Auckland or Sydney. I choose my car park spaces very carefully!
Old 11-02-2009, 08:05 AM   #16
ian b

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
My previous company car was an XR6 and if anything it was easier to park than the Mondeo.
I also moved from an BA XR6 to a Mondeo.

The BA/BF Falcon had lower window lines and boot so the all round visibility was slightly better. The wedge shape of the Mondeo plus the spoiler on the tail could make reverse parking difficult particularly if you were not very tall, although I tend to use the mirrors and sensors. (no point in buying the technology if you don't use it.) The FG series appears to be more of a wedge shape so the same issues may be present. I have not driven one yet so can only comment on my observations of the new shape as a bystander. (This seems to be the way Ford design is moving as the new Fiesta has the same sort of profile.)

If I had my time again, I would still go for the XR5 over the XR6 despite the few problems experienced to date.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #17
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd really like a Mondeo XR5 wagon. But a XR6 wagon would be even better!
Old 11-02-2009, 10:09 PM   #18
BrisVegas
Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtRmn8
Sorry buy I tend to disagree with this comment. You can not compare it to a Falcon for power to weight ratio, but it is by no means too big for the 2.3 engine.
fair enough, i'm sure you would get used to it. Trouble was, I drove it after pedalling my manual Focus Zetec and the grunty TDCi... The auto petrol just felt sluggish by comparison. I never compared it to a Falcon, as a Falcon eats it alive.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2009, 08:54 PM   #19
TITO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My wife has about 800k's on the Zetec, its quiet there are no rattles it feels solid on the road. The aircon has not dissapointed us with Sydney's temps in the past few weeks. Panel fit is 100% better than the 2008 Zetec focus that we just sold, the paint job is excellent and the interior is classy with leather seats. The 2.3 lt engine works fine with the six auto and I wouldn't say its sluggish if it was a four speed auto then it my feel less rapid. We use 98 octane fuel and happy with its performance. Overall a very nice car much better than the Zetec focus we had.
TITO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2009, 09:49 PM   #20
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks again everyone for the responses. Interestingly I'm leaning to a Focus tdi, but not so sure now after some comments here.
Anyway, I'll keep looking at carpoint and the others and see what turns up.
The BA Futura is running fine at the moment (egas too), so I might wait 6 months until a few more come onto the market in my price range (under 25k), there's only 1 in Perth at the moment under 25k.