Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 24-03-2009, 01:28 PM   #1
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Differences

I've tried to find a picture of the rear of the Mondeo in Hatch and in Sedan, but they all look the same. How do you tell the difference. I've not found a photo yet that clearly shows me the difference.

Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Only difference is a more slight angle on the hatch. And the rear wiper.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Here's a photo of the sedan on this thread: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11254214
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Old 24-03-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That explains why they similar. So apart from the slight angle, it has a wiper then its a hatch no wiper then it is a sedan. Thanks heaps Dusty. That clears it up for me.
Old 24-03-2009, 11:55 PM   #5
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

And if it has a spoiler, it must be an XR5 hatch (and I don't own one...yet!)
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2009, 03:37 AM   #6
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Big Difference is that the sedan is longer.
Old 25-03-2009, 05:24 AM   #7
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
The Big Difference is that the sedan is longer.
And a larger capacity boot

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2009, 07:00 AM   #8
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought the hatch had a big boot area. The sedan is even bigger. Surely couldn't be that much bigger?
Old 25-03-2009, 07:55 AM   #9
Katoomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I thought the hatch had a big boot area. The sedan is even bigger. Surely couldn't be that much bigger?
The hatch boot is enormous: I can't believe some of the loads I've carried in it. What turned me off the sedan (and I was determined to buy a sedan after owning a hatch for eight years) was the small door giving poor access to the boot.
Old 25-03-2009, 09:55 AM   #10
r2d2

I just looked up the Ford website. I thought the hatch was bigger in the boot and I was wrong. Sizes for you all Hatch boot - 528L seats down 1448L, Sedan 535L. Overall length HAtch 4778mm, sedan 4844mm.

So there we go. I thought they would have been all the same.

James
Old 25-03-2009, 10:41 AM   #11
scribbly

The hatch has a slightly wider width at the rear into the boot section.

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2009, 11:23 AM   #12
warren77

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2d2
I just looked up the Ford website. I thought the hatch was bigger in the boot and I was wrong. Sizes for you all Hatch boot - 528L seats down 1448L, Sedan 535L. Overall length HAtch 4778mm, sedan 4844mm.

So there we go. I thought they would have been all the same.

James
Although when you put the seats down in the XR5 you can fit an AMAZING amount of stuff in there.

Managed to get a new BBQ - the guy at the store said it wouldn't all fit. Proved him wrong!

We also put the seats down, push the luggage right to the back and let our two big dogs have the run of the back. They love it. So much room for them.

Out of interest, does the seats in the sedan go down?
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2009, 08:56 PM   #13
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a look at a brochure today and as you guys said, it is bigger. It also appears that you can't lay the back seats down? It had a blank next to the sedans boot area with seats laid flat. Hatch is 1400+ litres

I'm learning something new each day
Old 25-03-2009, 09:58 PM   #14
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So you think the hatch is big? Wait until you see the wagon!
Old 26-03-2009, 11:01 AM   #15
Wazm
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren77

Out of interest, does the seats in the sedan go down?

I haven't tried it but they look as though they will and the Ford website states "60/40 split rear bench seat and seat back" for both sedan and hatch so I guess they do.
Old 26-03-2009, 12:05 PM   #16
Dusty1
Giddy up!

There's not many sedans around, and Wazm, it looks as though you could be the only sedan owner registered.

You'd have to reckon that the number of hatches sold is about 8 to 2 sedans. I see very few sedans around, mostly hatches.
Previous:
Old 27-03-2009, 08:36 AM   #17
Wazm
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
There's not many sedans around, and Wazm, it looks as though you could be the only sedan owner registered.

You'd have to reckon that the number of hatches sold is about 8 to 2 sedans. I see very few sedans around, mostly hatches.
It looks that way! We have had 2 hatches and my Wife doesn't like them. (KA laser and Hyundai) Both of them were sort of inherited from my mother. The laser when she was only offered $300 as a trade in and we kept it for 5 years and sold it for $400 and then the Hyundai when mum decided she was too old to drive, car had 45k on it and was 5 years old. When it came to getting the Mondeo, I was adamant that I wanted a blue car and my Wife the same way about getting a sedan. After reading about the water problems with the hatch I am glad I have the sedan. The boot opening about the same as my old Mazda 6 and it isn't hard to stack heaps in it. If I need to load something big I just hook up the trailer so no real problem. I would like to get some type of rear wing for it but Ford only have one for the hatch and the only after market one I can find looks too big.

I guess the biggest differences between the hatch and sedan are the support from Ford and the numbers of each on the road
Old 27-03-2009, 09:52 AM   #18
Dusty1
Giddy up!

The water in boot issue was sorted in April 08, so I'd be surprised if any hatches that are coming into the country has the issue we had with the early builds, like mine.

I got mine fixed anyway, so it doesn't affect me.

Strangely, my missus loves the hatch. With a new baby, it's easy to put the pram and everything else you need to carry with you, and that's a lot as any parent will know. The only drama is that it does go up a long way, and you have to watch it on car park roofs mostly. I've knocked it a few times, but (luckily) never taken any paint off it. If I was really worried about it, I'd put some clear contact sort of film over the hatch and that would sort it.

What I do love about the hatch is that with the little one in the reverse position still, I get to look at her and wave when she's in her seat. She loves that too.
Previous:
Old 27-03-2009, 11:08 AM   #19
warren77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazm
It looks that way! We have had 2 hatches and my Wife doesn't like them. (KA laser and Hyundai) Both of them were sort of inherited from my mother. The laser when she was only offered $300 as a trade in and we kept it for 5 years and sold it for $400 and then the Hyundai when mum decided she was too old to drive, car had 45k on it and was 5 years old. When it came to getting the Mondeo, I was adamant that I wanted a blue car and my Wife the same way about getting a sedan. After reading about the water problems with the hatch I am glad I have the sedan. The boot opening about the same as my old Mazda 6 and it isn't hard to stack heaps in it. If I need to load something big I just hook up the trailer so no real problem. I would like to get some type of rear wing for it but Ford only have one for the hatch and the only after market one I can find looks too big.

I guess the biggest differences between the hatch and sedan are the support from Ford and the numbers of each on the road
One other major difference - you can't get the 2.5T in the Sedan ;)
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2009, 11:05 AM   #20
scribbly

The other good thing about the Mondeo hatch over and above other hatches is that this one doesn't have the problem with dirt, dust, rain being sucked up on to the rear window. It's the first time I've had a car (with rear wiper) that hasn't had this annoying problem.

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2009, 02:26 PM   #21
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbly
The other good thing about the Mondeo hatch over and above other hatches is that this one doesn't have the problem with dirt, dust, rain being sucked up on to the rear window. It's the first time I've had a car (with rear wiper) that hasn't had this annoying problem.
I've noticed that too. The rear window does stay remarkably clear of road plaque.

I had a XF wagon that had a rear window that was a magnet for road plaque. And my BA Futura was the worst at getting the windscreen washer water going over the top of the car and onto the rear window. It looked like dirty brown snakes from the top of the windscreen to the bottom of the rear window.
Previous: