Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-08-2016, 09:20 PM   #1
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Heaven forbid

G'day all...Autonomous Cars...Driving back to work from my lunch break this arvo I was listening to some interviewed "tech geek " on ABC Local radio .He was adamant that by 2030 ...less than a decade and a half from now we'll be hard pressed to find anything but pretty much driver less autonomous cars on our roads..This twenty something , thirty year old at a pinch geek reckons that the technology is advancing so fast that this is almost a certainty...Is this crazy or what ?.Recent Tesla autonomy testing is one thing given the recent incident causing a ruckus but what's the world coming to if this was even a remote possibility..Mining companies like Rio Tinto are going in this direction with their ore carrying locomotives/trains and remotely operated switcher locos are used already in some rail facilities but this is totally different circumstances to road going cars..Hypothetical it may currently be by people like this fella on radio but just imagine if it was to take place in part or as he clearly thinks..what would it really be like over time..Ponder this if you will..Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 25-08-2016 at 09:33 PM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2016, 09:43 PM   #2
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Heaven forbid

with autonomous cars how is the government going to raise revenue. no one will be speeding or breaking the law. insurance companies will be affected as there will be fewer accidents as well
1995 EF Fairmont - Tickford Enhanced
1980 ZL Fairlane in Brambles red
BLUEYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2016, 09:54 PM   #3
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While there are a lot of downsides, it does open up amazing levels of freedom and opportunity for the disabled and vision impaired. It also means many elderly people (and the population is ageing) will still be able to journey even when they physically can no longer drive.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2016, 09:55 PM   #4
woolleymammoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEYBA View Post
with autonomous cars how is the government going to raise revenue. no one will be speeding or breaking the law. insurance companies will be affected as there will be fewer accidents as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960
G'day...About $45,000 U.S. apparently was the price in 2015 for the Commie or Chevvy SS..Cheers Rod..
Spot on, doesn't matter how good the new technology is, if it doesn't make big money for the .1%ers we will never see it.
Personally I don't want driverless cars anyway the whole reason I'm into cars is because I get to drive em
woolleymammoth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2016, 10:05 PM   #5
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

yup. it's coming sooner than we think.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-08-2016, 11:20 PM   #6
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Autonomous cars will not be be seen outside of major metro and regional centres anytime soon. Apart from anything else, no rural and remote resident is going to let a piece of software ever decide when to pull over for a pit stop or a leg stretch or where to turn up a dirt road or avoid a pot hole or decide if a muddy road or flooded causeway is still passable etc., etc.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2016, 11:32 PM   #7
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Mining companies like Rio Tinto are going in this direction with their ore carrying locomotives/trains and remotely operated switcher locos are used already in some rail facilities but this is totally different circumstances to road going cars..
um hate to say it but some of these mine sites also now have more than the trains some have westrac cat haul packs as well passing each other up and down haul roads
and well I also know a few farmers with automated systems (more than steer and throttle) in their seeders and harvesters for a few years now

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2016, 11:37 PM   #8
Pilko FNQ

.......does the computer decide run over the pedestrian who steps out into the street or swerve around them and have a head on with a motorbike coming the other way. Either way someone will be killed or injured and who will be sued. The "driver" on autopilot, the car manufacturer, or the government for allowing autonomous cars.
Pilko FNQ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2016, 11:43 PM   #9
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilko FNQ View Post
.......does the computer decide run over the pedestrian who steps out into the street or swerve around them and have a head on with a motorbike coming the other way. Either way someone will be killed or injured and who will be sued. The "driver" on autopilot, the car manufacturer, or the government for allowing autonomous cars.

Here's a prediction, when it comes time to worry about that, you'll find every autonomous vehicle will be fitted with a pedestrian catcher on the front and airbags built into the front end and bonnet so soften the impact.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2016, 12:24 AM   #10
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The automated car won't need to make that decision, it would have worked out what's going on or likely to happen and premptively dealt with it.
I think the biggest barrier to full autonomy is not technology, but the legal and social issues
JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2016, 12:30 AM   #11
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
G'day all...Autonomous Cars...Driving back to work from my lunch break this arvo I was listening to some interviewed "tech geek " on ABC Local radio .He was adamant that by 2030 ...less than a decade and a half from now we'll be hard pressed to find anything but pretty much driver less autonomous cars on our roads..This twenty something , thirty year old at a pinch geek reckons that the technology is advancing so fast that this is almost a certainty...Is this crazy or what ?.Recent Tesla autonomy testing is one thing given the recent incident causing a ruckus but what's the world coming to if this was even a remote possibility..Mining companies like Rio Tinto are going in this direction with their ore carrying locomotives/trains and remotely operated switcher locos are used already in some rail facilities but this is totally different circumstances to road going cars..Hypothetical it may currently be by people like this fella on radio but just imagine if it was to take place in part or as he clearly thinks..what would it really be like over time..Ponder this if you will..Cheers Rod..
Maybe one day in the near future they will have Autonomous people and animals implanted with computers so they are no longer free to think or feel or question for themselves, much to the convenience of the powers that be..
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2016, 12:46 AM   #12
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and autonomous pockimon live (or what ever it is) so people don't have to walk around like blind twits

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 26-08-2016, 01:11 AM   #13
bmwe46
Starter Motor

Like any tech now days it will be evolution, and not revolution. ie it will be a slow transition. In Australia there are laws preventing auto-drive cars in that the driver must be in control of the car at all times.

It will eventually change though..

A computer will not throw the brakes on when it needs to change lanes (like half the idiots out there).. it will also merge well.

What it wont be able to do so well is look out for a block of wood on the road, or a motorbike flying up between the lanes. It may also take some programming to decide risk levels at an intersection based on the traffic load etc.

Historically, people have always overestimated rate of change of technology. HG Wells did fairly well but most people think it is going to change faster than it ever does.

Last edited by bmwe46; 26-08-2016 at 01:11 AM. Reason: spell
bmwe46 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2016, 01:12 AM   #14
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People like to think autonomous vehicles wont take of anytime soon because there are so many things that cant be taken into account. ie will the car hit some one walking across the road or run into a power pole (killing the driver) to save the pedestrian. Simple matter is, everyone is pushing ahead with autonomous cars because they think (you dont need to know sometimes, you just need to think it), that there is money to be made from it, and it will be safer.

You also need to think outside the square, with fullyautonomous cars, car trips will be quicker - no one will be stopping at traffic lights as each car will know what the other is doing. Less travel time equals less cars on the road. Autonomous trucks will allow companies to do major freight movements at night = freeing up daytime traffic. No more drunk or speeding drivers. Etc etc
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2016, 01:37 AM   #15
bmwe46
Starter Motor

bob.. I agree.. traffic issues would be halved. .no question.

No more dumb-***** jumping on the freeway doing 60, crossing three lanes and then speeding up :-) Fantastic.

But we are still 100 years away from true AI.

Azimov covered all this in I, Robot. A human would have saved the child.. but a robot saved the mother as she was the most likely person to be able to save.

I computer driven car would never smash into a tree to avoid the possibility of crashing into a school bus. Or look for behaviour in a group of cars ahead on a freeway as they try to avoid a lounge that someone forgot to tie on.

If there were no humans to deal with.. the computers would do just fine.

I do agree it will get there. .just that it will take more time to be fully autonomous than we think.
bmwe46 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2016, 01:43 AM   #16
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

I'd like to know how autonomous cars can handle some of the following;

1. An unmarked police car with flashing lights behind it wanting it to pull over?

2. How does the car know what the speed limit is on freeways that have variable overhead speed limits?

3. How does the car know where to park... Which are no standing zones, 15 minute limit or one hour parking spots?

4. How does it navigate new roads not yet on the latest GPS maps?

5. When it's running low on fuel (or needs a charge), does it automatically detour to a petrol or charging station to be able to complete the trip, and how does it know the station is open?

6. How does it know how to detour, change lanes or merge if a roadworks worker holds up a sign and waves his hands to detour ?

7. How does it know there's an oil spill up ahead and to take it easy around the corner?

8. Flood waters, potholes, debris on the road to avoid????

9. How does it know it has to stop at a mobile drug / alcohol testing station directed by police?

10. How would its many sensors and cameras work in heavy fog?

And so many unforeseen circumstances that only a human can detect?
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2016, 02:23 AM   #17
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go down Parramatta Rd and the auto system will breakdown, fail and disintegrate

Sent via HTC Velocity + [HolicsROM v1.3] [SWEEP2WAKE]
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2016, 02:49 AM   #18
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The advancement of technology which frees us from work is part of evolution and only a bad thing because in a capitalist society, it causes people to lose their livelihood. If humans ever evolve beyond capitalism then it will just be a good thing.

That's a utopian scenario though, at the rate we're going, all the elite 1%ers who run the world will wipe out the rest of us and only breed with each other until the human gene pool shallows and devolves into something else entirely. Or maybe they're at the vanguard of evolution by virtue of being 1%ers. Oh yeah autonomous cars are mega.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2016, 08:06 AM   #19
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally I think if you think an driverless type car is a good option, you've been driving the wrong types of car

Unfortunately though it is inevitable and claims it'll never take on in the bush I think are along way from the mark. If you've seen how this works on mine sites in ports etc you'll see that pedestrians and obsticas aren't really an issue and it's only getting better

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2016, 08:14 AM   #20
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXRSIX View Post
I'd like to know how autonomous cars can handle some of the following;

1. An unmarked police car with flashing lights behind it wanting it to pull over?

2. How does the car know what the speed limit is on freeways that have variable overhead speed limits?

3. How does the car know where to park... Which are no standing zones, 15 minute limit or one hour parking spots?

4. How does it navigate new roads not yet on the latest GPS maps?

5. When it's running low on fuel (or needs a charge), does it automatically detour to a petrol or charging station to be able to complete the trip, and how does it know the station is open?

6. How does it know how to detour, change lanes or merge if a roadworks worker holds up a sign and waves his hands to detour ?

7. How does it know there's an oil spill up ahead and to take it easy around the corner?

8. Flood waters, potholes, debris on the road to avoid????

9. How does it know it has to stop at a mobile drug / alcohol testing station directed by police?

10. How would its many sensors and cameras work in heavy fog?

And so many unforeseen circumstances that only a human can detect?
sensors or radio broadcast to autonomous cars for 1,2,3
cameras and radar for 4,5,6,7,8

for 9 the car signals the police that no human is in control which means no rbt or mdt is required

for 10, the car slows to a safe speed.

no matter what scenario you come up with, someone smarter than you or I will already have thought of it and built a response. It may not be the response you want, but it will be the safest response.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2016, 08:33 AM   #21
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilcv8 View Post
sensors or radio broadcast to autonomous cars for 1,2,3
cameras and radar for 4,5,6,7,8

for 9 the car signals the police that no human is in control which means no rbt or mdt is required

for 10, the car slows to a safe speed.

no matter what scenario you come up with, someone smarter than you or I will already have thought of it and built a response. It may not be the response you want, but it will be the safest response.
Yep .. autonomous cars will work best by networking .. sharing information.
If a car unexpectedly hits something on the road it will likely broadcast and others around it will take evasive action.

The system will never be infallible, but it will be more aware than most drivers are.

I've resisted the idea of autonomous cars, but I'm slowly turning around to them ... the interesting part will be how they will integrate with non-autonomous traffic? Will the law (which technically is driven from the combined social conscious) force non-autonomous cars off the road?
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2016, 08:45 AM   #22
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Meanwhile, back in the real world, my computer still can't find my printer !!

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2016, 08:59 AM   #23
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
Meanwhile, back in the real world, my computer still can't find my printer !!

Dr Terry
And yet with technology of 39 years ago humans built a machine which is still operating somewhat autonomously 20,000,000,000 km from Earth (Voyager 1).

I don't think your home computer is representative of what we are capable of ...

[ Edit: Got Voyager launch date wrong .. it's older than I thought ]

Last edited by OzJavelin; 26-08-2016 at 09:09 AM.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2016, 09:25 AM   #24
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Kinda merges with the thread title.
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2016, 11:34 AM   #25
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEYBA View Post
I think there's potential for insurance companies to be even more profitable when all cars are autonomous.

Using rough numbers, lets say accidents/events drop to 10% of current levels. Insurance companies can drop their rates to 20% of current levels.

As far as the consumer is concerned, they are getting a great deal paying $160 a year instead of the $800 they used to pay.
But the insurance company is only paying $32 / 20% in claims for each $160 policy, instead of $320 / 40% in claims for each of the old $800 policies.

This means that as far as percentages go, combined ratios will be way better than current numbers. Though in real dollars, this could be lower. It will be all about high volume for the insurers.

This could lead to the occurrence of a few real big guys in motor insurance dropping their rates to well below what it should be (say $80 instead of $160). This will cut out all the smaller players as they try to stay competitive, but don't have the financial backing to pay out claims at an overall loss for years in a row, forcing them to fold. Where do their customers go? To one of the big guys who can afford to take on these losses for years in a row.

Once most of the market is insured with the top 3 or 4 big players, rates will increase to that $160 mark. And with high volume, each % the rate goes up means big profit.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2016, 11:44 AM   #26
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I heard on the fm radio news today that ny are deploying the first 6 of ongoing numbers of driverless taxi's

So 100 years away ?

Old 26-08-2016, 12:11 PM   #27
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like driving, but I can definitely see many positives to autonomous cars.
They wouldn't merge onto the highway at 40.
They wouldn't come to a complete stop from 110 on the highway to let a car in from an onramp.
They wouldn't sit 20 below the speed limit in the right lane.
They wouldn't merge into my car without checking their mirrors.
They wouldn't turn right down a turn left at any time lane.

Basically, I like driving, I just hate everyone else driving. It might just be worth giving up driving.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2016, 12:13 PM   #28
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I can't wait bring it on I say.

You can't stop progress!

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2016, 12:47 PM   #29
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin View Post
And yet with technology of 39 years ago humans built a machine which is still operating somewhat autonomously 20,000,000,000 km from Earth (Voyager 1).

I don't think your home computer is representative of what we are capable of ...

[ Edit: Got Voyager launch date wrong .. it's older than I thought ]
It's not a matter of what "we" are capable of, it's what the auto industry is capable of given the constraints of consumer pricing.The Voyager is a govco funded no expense spared scientific space probe, costing $billions.

I work in the auto parts industry & I wouldn't want to be putting my life on auto-pilot with the auto industry's current record of recalls & reliability.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2016, 12:50 PM   #30
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Roddy, Can I ask you use Paragraphs ... doesn't suffice
this gave me a headache two sentence's in.

On topic there are already driverless vehicles developed 2 years ago Mercedes unveiled this truck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiFMHjtBIiM

Trouble is getting regulations approved for use on public roads.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: