Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 24-04-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
GTP370
2005 BA II GTP

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Excellent breakdown of costs associated with importing a pre-89 car from the U.S.  Very helpful to others and at least two other guys will use the provided info to make their dreams reality.. 
Default Surging

Apologies if this has already been covered....

I’ve owned by 06 Zetec auto since new, and it’s travelled just over 45k.

In recent times I have noticed that the car is jumping from one gear to another when not appropriate. Mainly noticeable round 70km/h with either light throttle or even when off taking foot the gas. Down a gear, and jumps from 2000rpm to 4000rpm, then back to the lower gear. Like a surge.

Ultra Tune could not detect a fault reading the computer. And like normal when they took it for a spin did not get the issue.

Has anyone else experienced the same issue?

GTP370 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 
Default Re: Surging

How is the oil level ? I have been told in the past that low oil will cause similar symptoms. It may be time for a transmission service, oil and filters changed / cleaned and band adjustment if needed
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
Foconatic

Input / output speed sensors and some times the TPS (throttle position sensor) if not sending the proper signal to the TCU, could cause erattic shifting.
I may be wrong, but I don't think bands can be adjusted like in the good old days.

Has a Ford dealer done a diagnostic check? Ultratune and other non product workshops use generic (Snap On?) type scanner's which may not pick a fault. If the fault is intermittent the TCU may not store a fault code.

One more thing that comes to mind,bad earth's/ ground's make heaps of problems. Have you had any panel work mechanical repairs done to your car before this concern showed up??

Going somewhere isn't why you drive, driving is why you go
Foconatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
GTP370
2005 BA II GTP

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Excellent breakdown of costs associated with importing a pre-89 car from the U.S.  Very helpful to others and at least two other guys will use the provided info to make their dreams reality.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foconatic
Input / output speed sensors and some times the TPS (throttle position sensor) if not sending the proper signal to the TCU, could cause erattic shifting.
I may be wrong, but I don't think bands can be adjusted like in the good old days.

Has a Ford dealer done a diagnostic check? Ultratune and other non product workshops use generic (Snap On?) type scanner's which may not pick a fault. If the fault is intermittent the TCU may not store a fault code.

One more thing that comes to mind,bad earth's/ ground's make heaps of problems. Have you had any panel work mechanical repairs done to your car before this concern showed up??
Thanks guys.

It made a bit of a clunk/ grind sound yesterday which added to my concerns.

So I have taken it to one of my preferred workshops - Tilley Automotive. They experienced the issues on a test drive and have a techican to check it out on Monday. Tilley is reluctant to check further, as they claim these are quite complex transmissions.

I haven't taken it to Ford, but won't rule it our should I want a second opinion.

If has had a bit of bad luck with minor dings and has been to a few panel shops in the last year. But can't remember exactly when the issue began.

Thanks for your input Foconatic, I will certainly pass this on.

Hope it's not major!!!

Car has always been serviced, but will double check the service book for service done to the transmission
Old 27-04-2012, 11:52 PM   #5
Foconatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP370
Thanks guys.

It made a bit of a clunk/ grind sound yesterday which added to my concerns.

So I have taken it to one of my preferred workshops - Tilley Automotive. They experienced the issues on a test drive and have a techican to check it out on Monday. Tilley is reluctant to check further, as they claim these are quite complex transmissions.

I haven't taken it to Ford, but won't rule it our should I want a second opinion.

If has had a bit of bad luck with minor dings and has been to a few panel shops in the last year. But can't remember exactly when the issue began.

Thanks for your input Foconatic, I will certainly pass this on.

Hope it's not major!!!

Car has always been serviced, but will double check the service book for service done to the transmission
45k's is very low klm's for a service to be due. Most transmissions can go 100000klm before they need an oil change.

The reason why I asked if it has had any panel repairs is if the panel shops have repainted and areas in the engine bay where the earth wires are bolted to the body. If they have removed these wires/grounds,painted the area and then refitted the wires with out cleaning the grounds to bare metal this could cause all sorts of resistance problems. Most sensors will play up due to bad earths. Just a thought. Have seen this quite often.

Good luck.

Going somewhere isn't why you drive, driving is why you go
Foconatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
GTP370
2005 BA II GTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foconatic
45k's is very low klm's for a service to be due. Most transmissions can go 100000klm before they need an oil change.

The reason why I asked if it has had any panel repairs is if the panel shops have repainted and areas in the engine bay where the earth wires are bolted to the body. If they have removed these wires/grounds,painted the area and then refitted the wires with out cleaning the grounds to bare metal this could cause all sorts of resistance problems. Most sensors will play up due to bad earths. Just a thought. Have seen this quite often.

Good luck.
Thanks mate. The panel work has only been minor dings on the door and rear.