Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 30-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #31
DeKa

Default Re: Brake Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKa
I've ordered some Iron-X and it arrived today. I'll aim to take the wheels off my (LV) Focus Zetec on the weekend and clean them inside and out and report back.

My car was a fleet car before I bought it and the wheels just don't clean up properly with soap and elbow grease as they've been allowed to have the brake dust bake on I'd say. Hopefully this works.
This stuff is amazing. I took each wheel off, and hand washed it inside and out with soapy water and hosed it down. A lot of dirt came off, but they were still very grubby.

I sprayed the IronX on, waited 2-3 mins for the red-purple colour to highlight contaminants, and then started scrubbing with a soft toothbrush. After this, I hosed the wheel down again. The wheel came up looking pretty clean, but still had small black spots on it.

I then sprayed on another light cover of IronX on the wheel, and after 1-2 mins many small red-purple areas came up, where the little spots had been. I scrubbed these thoroughly with the toothbrush again, and hosed the IronX off. This made the wheels come up pretty much spotless.

I'm very impressed. Nothing else I have tried has worked as well as this. It took me about two hours to do four wheels, but the end result was worth it.

Sorry, I have no photos as the product is very strong so I had gloves on. You must use it in the open as the smell is terrible - even in the open I would spray it on and walk away to avoid the smell ("new improved cherry scent").
DeKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #32
Nichol

I actually don't mind the dirt at times. lol. Sometimes i like the look of it, because i've been thinking of powder coating them, but i'm not sure yet..?
Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #33
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKa
You must use it in the open as the smell is terrible - even in the open I would spray it on and walk away to avoid the smell ("new improved cherry scent").
The 'new cherry scent' is actually quite nice compared to the original smell, and then the 'improved' smell of squashed flowers
Old 19-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #34
blatchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie1
the "brake pad dust" is mostly comprised of iron from the rotor.
by this school of thought my rotors must be paper thin by now
Old 19-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #35
MR4ORD
Slow going

Nichol Im thinking the same, the sport wheels would look awesome powder coated I black, anyone know how much this is likely to cost or is it cheaper to just buy a cheap set of matte black wheels?
MR4ORD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post