Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 24-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
matt2905
Starter Motor

Default Your opinion please guys

Hi, iv'e not contributed here before so i just want to say hi to everyone and thanks for any help i get

I'm in a pickle of a situation.

The gf wants her own car so we went looking at focus's the other day.

(i got a BF falcon so wanted to stay in the ford family )

Now i can get last years model 03/2011 LV mkii Zetec Auto with all options including leather, premium sound, parking sensor, body kit foggies etc .
$20,000 with 44,000kms

or

I could buy a new LW Trend Auto with all the features of the LT (except no leather) for around $24,000 (before haggling).

I realise i could get a LW ambiente for under $20,000 but its too low spec for us.

My question is which would you choose??

Pros- of the LV is it looks better at the back anyway (dont like how the LW's headlights wrap round rear quarter but its not gonna be my car anyway) its fully spec'd, was $32,000 only 14months ago (iv'e seen the receipt) and is in mint condition. Plus i figure as its the last of the last it should have all (if any) problems fixed that previous gen's got.
Cons- i figure it must of worked hard to do 44,000km's in 14 months but its got full dealer service, an obviously its older.

Pros- of the LW new car! lol don't have to pay the $630registration charge to the RTA!
Cons- new generations tend to have teething problems, is it gonna be reliable? I don't really like the looks as much, too funky for me inside (although again not my car)

Also to consider there both a 2.0Auto with the new LW getting slightly more kw (120kw) than the 107kw LV although i can bump the LV up with CAI and a cat-back.

Also the LV has lost $12,000 in just one year surely depreciation will slow down abit now? whats the LW gonna loose this time next year ummm.

Have i missed anything? warrenty is 5 years on the LW 4 years on the LV

Would love to hear owners comments on both cars too, before anyone says let my gf choose she's useless shes got her heart set on getting her own car so much she don't care what it is lol!

Thanks guys.

Last edited by matt2905; 24-05-2012 at 12:08 PM.
matt2905 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Your opinion please guys

I'd go new!

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
prydey
Rob

personally i'd go new as well, purely based on looks. looks are subjective though and you have already stated that its not exactly to your liking.

if both are specced to a level you would be happy with, i would go the newest one.

lw for me.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
matt2905
Starter Motor

LW 2 - LV 0.5 (its kinda had my vote, damn! lol)

any more bids?
Old 24-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
jonohoang

Lw
jonohoang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

LV... only caus I got one.

If you are buying for the long term get the new model, if you are the kind that changes over cars every few years get the older one.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
matt2905
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
LV... only caus I got one.

If you are buying for the long term get the new model, if you are the kind that changes over cars every few years get the older one.
True its probably gonna be with us for few years, in the future when kids arrive i can see us trading it along with my falcon for a Territory.

Thanks for everyones input.

Old 24-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #8
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

It won't have lost as much as $12k in value, they were running them out for $26,990 drive away with leather (auto) so $20k asking price with 44,000k's travelled in 12 months it hasn't depreciated too much really.

I'm still not sold on the style of the new ones myself but I guess for an extra $5k I would probably go new as well
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #9
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would be looking at some very good assurances from the dealer on the ''powershift'' transmission before going new.
There is a heap of grizzles on the Focus and Fiesta site about this ''auto''.

No grizzles about teh old models auto.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #10
matt2905
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino
I would be looking at some very good assurances from the dealer on the ''powershift'' transmission before going new.

Really? Thats kinda why i wanted to go for last of the last LV, ummm tough choice, common sense says LW my heart says LV, looks like back to the dealers for 2nd viewings,

Cheers guys I'll let you know what i end up with
Old 24-05-2012, 09:55 PM   #11
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2905
Really? Thats kinda why i wanted to go for last of the last LV, ummm tough choice, common sense says LW my heart says LV, looks like back to the dealers for 2nd viewings,

Cheers guys I'll let you know what i end up with
Either way, the car you buy will have factory warranty.

Also, is there any difference in powershift tramsmissions between LV and LW? Don't think there is???

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 12:01 AM   #12
rand0mn00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Either way, the car you buy will have factory warranty.

Also, is there any difference in powershift tramsmissions between LV and LW? Don't think there is???
can't comment on the powershifts as found in the LV diesel

but the petrol models came with a regular auto, not one of the dual clutch boxes
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 12:01 AM   #13
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No powershift in the LV, unless it's a diesel.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 02:27 AM   #14
matt2905
Starter Motor

Yea its just a 4 speed auto in the LV with tip-tronic, but whats so good about dual clutch anyway, it just changes faster? Does that mean u gotta replace 2clutches wen they wear?
Old 25-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #15
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

They are a pretty complex unit so I imagine servicing and repair costs will be more expensive than with a normal auto transmission :( I would tell the GF she needs to buy a manual with man pedal as the Auto and Powershift transmissions will go straight to the thighs
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 09:57 AM   #16
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For a few grand more, I’d definitely go the LW. Put the Convince Pack on it for a few hundred bucks, and you’ve got a pretty feature packed car. Can’t comment much on the LV, but my LW is fantastic. The looks do grow on you; I find mine pretty sexy now! My transmission is great (had no issues with it apart from it wanting to get into a higher gear up hills, so it up changes, then needs to down change, but I just put it in ‘S’ mode and it works beautifully). All round it’s smooth, responsive and once your foot goes to the floor, it kicks down immediately!
From reviews the LV was a top car, and from experience the LW is awesome, so you can’t go wrong with either really! Good luck mate!
Old 25-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #17
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

The LV is a much better driver's car.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #18
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i OHC
The LV is a much better driver's car.
While I do agree to a degree, and admit the electric steering does kill some of the feel (same issue when I upgraded to my MK7 Fiesta from a MK6 Fiesta) the LW is certainly a bloody good drive! And according to reviews, still one of the best (with the Mazda 3).
Old 25-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #19
MR4ORD
Slow going

There's a reason all the magazines rated the new focus as one of the best and a true competitor to the Golf, because it is bloody good.

Enough said, go the new LW
MR4ORD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #20
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Bottom line is it's the mrs car.

Will she know the difference between the 2 in how well it drives?

How long will she hold onto the car for?

While I know how you feel in getting the best bang for buck, if it were me looking at a car I would go a drivers car because I enjoy steering. But if it were my mrs choosing, I know she would want something that looks 'cute' in the right color and was nice to drive to do her daily stuff. She doesn't care as much for the gadgets and how the gearbox changes, as long as it does its job.

How often do you drive your mrs car? Is it primarily her car or 'our' car?

If it is her car, I would buy based on her needs, but with as many niceties thrown in and ease/cost of servicing. Also keeping in mind resale/trade in.

My 2c

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #21
matt2905
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Bottom line is it's the mrs car.

Will she know the difference between the 2 in how well it drives?

How long will she hold onto the car for?

While I know how you feel in getting the best bang for buck, if it were me looking at a car I would go a drivers car because I enjoy steering. But if it were my mrs choosing, I know she would want something that looks 'cute' in the right color and was nice to drive to do her daily stuff. She doesn't care as much for the gadgets and how the gearbox changes, as long as it does its job.

How often do you drive your mrs car? Is it primarily her car or 'our' car?

If it is her car, I would buy based on her needs, but with as many niceties thrown in and ease/cost of servicing. Also keeping in mind resale/trade in.

My 2c
With you all the way, i'm a spirited driver lets put it that way, and i will be driving it 60% of the time i rekon, me an the girly work together an travel together she only needs it for 1-2days a week for shopping and tafe. Even when were together she wont drive because she 'scared' of me critisizing her driving.

So on that basis i want the mkii LV.

Both cars are red (must for her) and she loves them both equally.

We'll have the car at least 4 years i rekon, its wont work hard or ever do high k's we currently only do 200kms a week in my falcon for both of us, i rekon the focus will share 20-30 of that max.

Definatly leening towards the LV its D day tommo time to decide lol.
Old 25-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #22
matt2905
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
They are a pretty complex unit so I imagine servicing and repair costs will be more expensive than with a normal auto transmission :( I would tell the GF she needs to buy a manual with man pedal as the Auto and Powershift transmissions will go straight to the thighs
Iv'e begged an begged her to lemme get manual but she won't have it, shes red P and only tested in a auto she shes not allowed it anyway.

I looked for weeks to find a manual falcon before buying my car, but i couldn't find one for the right price/k's against getting a auto, its strange how they cost less to buy than a auto new and then are worth more 2nd hand!

A manual conversion is on the cards in the few months
Old 26-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #23
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino

There has been some minor technical issues with the trans, but the recent flash upgrade of the PCM seems to have fixed it.

Most of the issues was/is driver perception. People get into these cars and expect the trans to perform exactly like a 'full automatic' transmission; they don't. These are 'manual' transmissions with a clutch and gear set up exactly like a manual transmission, with the added extras of solenoids and PCM to operate like an auto without the loss of power and fuel consumption of an auto.

Once you understand this, they're a good trans set-up.

Also, remember that this is not new technology. It was first developed in the 1960's, and used successfully commercially by VW for at least a decade.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #24
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I've got an LV, I reckon the LW is better (except that LW TDCI doesn't have manual, gay as aids). Seriously, electric power steering is awesome, my WS Fiesta has it and that thing handles like a go-kart, who gives a rats *** about steering feel because you're not going to be driving the car at 100% of its capability all of the time anyway and it makes daily driving so much nicer when you can turn the wheel with your little finger haha.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post