Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 19-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
rpps
Starter Motor

Default Steering wheel vibration 2012 Focus

I have a 2012 Focus Trend hatch with a set of Continental factory fitted tyres, I get a fair bit of trembling through the steering wheel, it's not a lot but you can feel it on all types of road surfaces.
This week I went in and had the tyres re-balanced but I still get this slight murmur it's driving me nuts. I was wondering if any othe Focus owners have experienced this.

rpps is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
Nolz

Default Re: Steering wheel vibration 2012 Focus

Sport diesel here, and no vibration present. Tried to hit up ford yet to get to have a look at it? Hope you get it sorted soon.
Nolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpps
I have a 2012 Focus Trend hatch with a set of Continental factory fitted tyres, I get a fair bit of trembling through the steering wheel, it's not a lot but you can feel it on all types of road surfaces.
This week I went in and had the tyres re-balanced but I still get this slight murmur it's driving me nuts. I was wondering if any othe Focus owners have experienced this.
Have you tried rotating the wheels front to back ? Continental tyres are usually very good but it's still possible you have a dodgy tyre :(
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
rpps
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolz
Sport diesel here, and no vibration present. Tried to hit up ford yet to get to have a look at it? Hope you get it sorted soon.
Bit confused by your answer, do you have a vibration?
Old 19-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
Nolz

Sorry mate.

I've got a sport diesel (mentioned in case it was a model specific problem) and I DON'T have any vibrations as you've described.

was also asking if you've mentioned it to Ford as it sounds like a warranty problem, given you've already had the wheels balanced again.

Still hoping you'll get it sorted soon
Old 19-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
rpps
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
Have you tried rotating the wheels front to back ? Continental tyres are usually very good but it's still possible you have a dodgy tyre :(
I'm going to try that tomorrow. Originally I bought a Focus Ambiente and then I bought after market CSA Mags and put them on it and kept the same tyres.
After a trip to Perth I found this car too under-powered with the Aircon on so I traded it in for a 2 litre Trend, I decided to keep my after market rims so I swapped the rims and tyres onto the new Trend Focus. When I got home I had the tyes re- balanced as I notice this slight murmur through the steering wheel but it didn't improve any. I have been reading that either the faulty engine mounts or the drive shafts can cause this.
It's not that the steering wheel vibrates that bad but you can certainly feel something there and even coming through the accelerator pedal.

Last edited by rpps; 19-04-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 19-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
rpps
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolz
Sorry mate.

I've got a sport diesel (mentioned in case it was a model specific problem) and I DON'T have any vibrations as you've described.

was also asking if you've mentioned it to Ford as it sounds like a warranty problem, given you've already had the wheels balanced again.

Still hoping you'll get it sorted soon
Sorry a bit slow here
Old 19-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #8
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
I'm going to try that tomorrow. Originally I bought a Focus Ambiente and then I bought after market CSA Mags and put them on it and kept the same tyres.
After a trip to Perth I found this car too under-powered with the Aircon on so I traded it in for a 2 litre Trend, I decided to keep my after market rims so I swapped the rims and tyres onto the new Trend Focus. When I got home I had the tyes re- balanced as I notice this slight murmur through the steering wheel but it didn't improve any. I have been reading that either the faulty engine mounts or the drive shafts can cause this.
It's not that the steering wheel vibrates that bad but you can certainly feel something there and even coming through the accelerator pedal.
I didn't realise you were running aftermarket rims on it, they could be your problem. If you still have the OEM rims try putting them back on and see if that stops the murmur I had a similar problem with a set of good quality aftermarket rims on a MK4 VW Golf, as soon as I put the standard rims back on the problem was resolved Unfortunately I lost a lot of money on the resale of the rims :(
Old 19-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I had the same issue with the steering wheel shaking side to side on my first LV Focus.

Then I totalled it and my new one didn't have the issue, lol.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #10
Nolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I had the same issue with the steering wheel shaking side to side on my first LV Focus.

haha cracked me up
Old 19-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #11
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo

Was it shaking from side to side before or after you wrecked it ? Or was that the feeling you had through the steering wheel just before you crashed
Old 19-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #12
Foconatic

Quote:
Did you black out the grille? looks different,nice.

Going somewhere isn't why you drive, driving is why you go
Foconatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #13
rpps
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
I didn't realise you were running aftermarket rims on it, they could be your problem. If you still have the OEM rims try putting them back on and see if that stops the murmur I had a similar problem with a set of good quality aftermarket rims on a MK4 VW Golf, as soon as I put the standard rims back on the problem was resolved Unfortunately I lost a lot of money on the resale of the rims :(
I don't think it's the Mags as I had the tremur on the stock rims too, when I put the Mags on I thought this might improve things.
I guess I will have to get use to it and try not to focus on it No pun intended
Old 20-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #14
rpps
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foconatic
Did you black out the grille? looks different,nice.
Yes I used a black vinyl the one you buy on the roll at the hardware, I wanted a more agressive looking grill.
Old 20-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #15
Foconatic

Quote:
Yes I used a black vinyl the one you buy on the roll at the hardware, I wanted a more agressive looking grill.
It works! I want/wanted to black out the two vertical lines between the centre grille and the side triangular ones to give it an open mouth effect. But my car colour is Midnight sky and wont be noticed much.

Old 20-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #16
rpps
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foconatic
It works! I want/wanted to black out the two vertical lines between the centre grille and the side triangular ones to give it an open mouth effect. But my car colour is Midnight sky and wont be noticed much.
I did try this but decided against it I wanted something more simple.
Old 20-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #17
Foconatic

Quote:
I did try this but decided against it I wanted something more simple.image
Hmmmm! I agree. Now that I've seen what it looks like.

Old 25-04-2012, 06:40 PM   #18
rpps
Starter Motor

Thought I solved my problem found that the two back mags didn't have hub rings fitted, so I eagerly found some and put them on but damn the vibration is still there.
Next step Bob Jane and have them check the tyres with a radial runout gauge to see if any of the tyres are out of round. If not back to Ford to see if something else mechanical could be causing the vibration, like engine mounts or drive shafts.
Old 25-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #19
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thought I solved my problem found that the two back mags didn't have hub rings fitted, so I eagerly found some and put them on but damn the vibration is still there.
Next step Bob Jane and have them check the tyres with a radial runout gauge to see if any of the tyres are out of round. If not back to Ford to see if something else mechanical could be causing the vibration, like engine mounts or drive shafts.
I'm guessing you had different tyres fitted to the rims when they were on the other car. If that's the case and you didn't have the issue before changing to the Conti's then I'd say one or more of the tyres is slightly out of round, that would certainly be easier than trying to get the dealer to acknowledge that there is a slight vibration there