Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-04-2018, 02:36 PM   #1
badoc

Default AUII Rear Windscreen Seal

Hi all,

Has anyone had this issue before and is there a solution:

The rubber/plastic piping around my rear windscreen has come off about 1/3. The hard plastic underneath the rubber is all cracked and whilst I can push it under the windscreen, it doesn't stay down, and seems to coincide with water ending up in my boot after rain.

Is it possible to buy this strip/seal/piping? Or am I out for a whole new rear windscreen?

Cheers in advance!

Mine: Sparkling Burgundy AUII Fairmont Sedan

Mrs: Lightening Strike SZ Territory TS TDCI

Dearly Departed

2006 SY Territory Ghia - Silhouette , 2000 AUII Wagon - Green, 2005 BA MKII Futura Sedan - Lightening Strike, 2009 FG XT - Ego, 2008 BF MKIII Wagon - Kashmir
badoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2018, 05:47 PM   #2
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: AUII Rear Windscreen Seal

I've just bought this: http://www.ozautomoulds.com.au/p/529/uni-13-rear-mould

The rubber around my AU Fairmont's back windscreen has been split and daggy looking for some time so I'd been keeping an eye out to find some replacement. Hopefully it's the right stuff when it arrives.

That said, this rubber isn't the water proof part so replacing it won't be the fix for your leak I don't think, although it may help...

The back window is more likely glued/sealed down similar to how the front windscreen is.
macman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2018, 06:38 PM   #3
George V
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Badoc,
As Macman said, rear windscreen is glued to body.

Plastic mould is to protection & appearance only. It was not available for purchase separately before. I will be watching this with interest.

Macman,
Please let us know how well it fits.

Regards,
George V
George V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2018, 01:26 PM   #4
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I've got a box of it (25 meters) on order so I should have some spare to on-sell, provided it's the right stuff and fits well.

I'll update here once it arrives...
2 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2018, 09:22 PM   #5
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Arrived this evening. But to be honest, won't be until the weekend before I get a good chance to fit it. Looks OK though?

Too dark tonight to try it, but it looks OK?

New on the left, old on the right.

3 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2018, 07:55 PM   #6
George V
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Macman,

Existing one is moulded around corners and has a fused joint at the mid point of the lower of windscreen.

Very interested to see how it fits.

Regards,
George V
George V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-04-2018, 02:11 PM   #7
Benno351

Mine is also perishied and popping out so I asked my windscreen guy about it when I had my windscreen fitted a couple of months back. He said the rear screen needs to come out to replace it and it would cost $120 to remove and refit including the new seal.

I thought it could be just replaced too, so be interested to see how you go.
Benno351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2018, 04:15 PM   #8
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry guys, I've only got as far as completely removing the old moulding.

The old moulding has rigid plastic which is moulded to shape around the glass and has a rubber 'flap' moulded to it. The new mould is just one piece flexible rubber, made to the same basic shape as the original. Hope that makes sense.

It's pretty clear that the original mould was already fitted onto the glass before the glass was installed to the car. In areas (especially the corners) the adhesive used to stick the glass in has touched the mould and trapped it, making it hard to cleanly remove in areas.

This just means the old mould does not come off cleanly, or in one piece and leaves behind some remains trapped under the glass/adhesive which I've then had to go back over and "dig" out carefully with a plastic spudger and a small metal pick tool.

I'm hoping now with the old moulding removed, the remains removed and the area cleaned up, I can wait for a warm day to install the new rubber. A warm sunny day should mean it will conform to shape nicer during installation and I plan to use a couple of spots of windscreen sikaflex to stick it down in key areas (especially the bottom where the join is), might have to put a spot on each corner too, will see.

Turning into a bigger job, but I still think the result will be positive. The old moulding was so incredibly shot so anything should look better than it was and should still come in under $100 and I'll have about 20m of this stuff left over.
4 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2018, 11:54 PM   #9
badoc

Thanks for your follow-up to this thread, Macman!

I'm looking forward to seeing the final result!

Dearly Departed

2006 SY Territory Ghia - Silhouette , 2000 AUII Wagon - Green, 2005 BA MKII Futura Sedan - Lightening Strike, 2009 FG XT - Ego, 2008 BF MKIII Wagon - Kashmir
Old 21-04-2018, 10:33 PM   #10
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Success. Fitted the new moulding today.

The old moulding has been removed for a week but today I did a final prep of the area, used a scraper to get the more stubborn dirt off the edge of the glass then final pipe over with wax and grease remover.

I trial fit the moulding first, to see how easy it would go on, how it sat and highlight potential trouble spots.

First problem area is where the windscreen adhesive during original fitment is thick, particularly on the two lower corners. Rather than compromise the adhesive by cutting it away, I chose to just trim back the moulding. I did this on both bottom corners.

Second trouble area is the top corners. Although it was a good fit, the moulding would tend to flip up and not stay in place. You'd need to sikaflex the moulding to the glass here at least but with this in mind, I chose to run a tiny bead of sikaflex in the channel of the moulding, all the way around.

At the bottom, I left the original 'join' piece in place the whole time, it seemed to be stuck in place pretty well and couldn't be easily removed anyway. There was no real need to remove it, I just left a few mm extra on the moulding so it would neatly tuck under the original join. I put a dab of extra sikaflex under the edges of the join piece too.

As I worked my way around, I used masking tape to hold the moulding in place and I'll remove all the tape tomorrow once the sikaflex has cured and there's no chance of anything moving.

My conclusion is that for my circumstances, this has worked out a success. The old moulding on mine was split all the way around and was loose in a few areas so anything was better than it was... But I can see that this isn't an exact replacement of the original, the original being shaped to the corners and fitted before the back windscreen was installed. If I had a particularly collectable or comparatively desirable XR8, TE/TS/TL50 etc, I would consider options closer to original, from a windscreen place, it may cost a few hundred and may involve the windscreen being removed or replaced... But for me, this rubber moulding looks identical to the original and makes the area look a lot tidier, so I'm happy.

Tools required:
Plastic spudger (and/or plastic trim removal tools)
Small metal hook/pick
Scraper
Sharp knife
Wax and grease remover
Good silicone adhesive like Sikaflex
Lots of clean rags
Turpentine to clean up

Last edited by macman; 21-04-2018 at 10:46 PM.
Old 24-04-2018, 09:44 PM   #11
badoc

Well done, Macman!

Looks great!

Dearly Departed

Old 08-05-2018, 01:12 PM   #12
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If anyone's interested in doing their own, I have approx 20m leftover.

Would anyone be interested in 5m (enough to comfortably do a sedan rear window) for $25? Postage anywhere in Australia included, via AusPost 3kg bag.

The 25m roll cost me $60 so on-selling 5m length for $12 and post for $13 - not making money off this, just moving on what I don't need and hopefully helping someone else out.
Old 30-05-2018, 02:39 PM   #13
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can do 4.5m length posted Aus-wide for $20 if anyone's interested. Still have roughly 15m leftover.
Old 17-06-2018, 08:15 AM   #14
zeuss000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Mate, if you still have this i am very interested in enough to go around my AU rear windscreen.
I will PM you.
Cheers
zeuss000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2018, 03:11 PM   #15
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've almost sold out now. Have enough left to do two more rear windscreens.

Roughly two months since I did mine, holding up fine, looking great still.

3 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2018, 12:15 PM   #16
zeuss000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That looks really good mate, very well done, Thanks for sending me some of your rubber, i will be following your method. Hopefully it will come out as good as yours has done.
Did you buy the louvre on your rear windscreen from somewhere or did it come with your car. Love the look and ill probably copy you on that also.
Cheers
Ed
2 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2018, 01:28 PM   #17
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman View Post
I've almost sold out now. Have enough left to do two more rear windscreens.

Roughly two months since I did mine, holding up fine, looking great still.

Hi macman, if any mouldings is left over, I'll take some too. I hope im not too late lol.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2018, 02:09 PM   #18
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Hi macman, if any mouldings is left over, I'll take some too. I hope im not too late lol.

cheers, Maka
Yep, got a 3.9m length leftover which is just enough to do one more. PM sent.
Old 18-06-2018, 02:20 PM   #19
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman View Post
Yep, got a 3.9m length leftover which is just enough to do one more. PM sent.
Np, pm answered thanks.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2018, 02:26 PM   #20
zeuss000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Mate, I went to IMGUR as you suggested, hopefully this works, you can just see the damaged part on top right of the rear windscreen.
Thanks for you help, much appreciated.
https://imgur.com/GCH1PvG

https://imgur.com/a/767aCgK

Last edited by zeuss000; 18-06-2018 at 02:32 PM. Reason: trying to add pics
Old 12-09-2019, 09:24 AM   #21
rangerdanger15
Starter Motor

sorry to bring up an old thread, Was thinking of doing this to my AU...Just wondering if anyone got any of the moulding left? If not, I was thinking of buying a box if anyone else needs some.

cheers

nick
rangerdanger15 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2019, 10:00 AM   #22
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerdanger15 View Post
sorry to bring up an old thread, Was thinking of doing this to my AU...Just wondering if anyone got any of the moulding left? If not, I was thinking of buying a box if anyone else needs some.

cheers

nick
I'd be interested in some.

If you want to look into to it and depending on details (amount, cost etc) I'd grab some of it.
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2019, 03:38 PM   #23
rangerdanger15
Starter Motor

Since posting this, I found some that looks pretty much the same on eBay, looks like it could be a cheaper option. Link below, might need to copy and paste it, not used to these old style forums, been a while!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F223530925652
rangerdanger15 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2019, 04:01 PM   #24
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would have considered buying another box, I had enough enquiries, even after I sold out of what I had... Looks like it's cheaper than when I bought it too.

That ebay stuff looks very similar but the measurements are different, it'd probably work ok still, you might just want to measure the original before buying.

Fom memory you need close to 4m to do the rear windscreen comfortably.