Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-05-2007, 02:20 AM   #1
Aublokes
Starter Motor

Default Power steering leaks ??

Ford tells me the only way to fix a power steering leak from the h/p outlet nut is to buy a complete new pipe set! could this be true !! or do you blokes know a better (cheaper) way?? (6 cyl / 00 )

Aublokes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-05-2007, 03:44 AM   #2
DirtyHarry
Do you feel lucky?

A few months ago somebody put up a "how to" thread about fitting a hydraulic joiner to the end of the pwer steering hose. It was pretty fiddly and involved use of a hacksaw but it could save some serious bucks.

I just tried to search it but couldn't find it. Maybe somebody else remembers the thread?
DirtyHarry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 06:08 AM   #3
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

my ps pump is leaking at the bottom hose that joins onto the pump. ive been told that this is a ***** of a job to do. has anyone done it? apparently its just replacing an O ring.

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 07:32 AM   #4
kenz
BOSS Pilot

I had to replace my high pressure hose a few months back. Didnt really have a choice it just decided to let go and was leaking out ALL the oil within 2minutes. Didnt have time to find out about the cheaper way, but ive heard it can be a bit of mucking around. Was about $110 I think for the hose, pretty straight forward job.

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 07:42 AM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Make sure you put the teflon O-ring in though (that's the hardest part of the job from memory).
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 09:33 AM   #6
Chippar
The Ancient Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aublokes
Ford tells me the only way to fix a power steering leak from the h/p outlet nut is to buy a complete new pipe set! could this be true !! or do you blokes know a better (cheaper) way?? (6 cyl / 00 )

We changed the power steering hose on my son's AUII XR6 and had no problems at all. It was a messy job when the hose is disconnected at either end, but with an oil pan under the car to catch most of the fluid, it's ok.

You can get the hose from ebay fairly cheap but remember to refill the pump with the correct fluid not over the counter power steering fluid.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/POWER-STEERIN...QQcmdZViewItem
Chippar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 10:00 AM   #7
Chippar
The Ancient Warrior

I just checked the Ford Specifications, and they reccommend MOBILFLUID 424 as the preferred fluid.
I think it is an hydraulic oil or similar so I don't know what would happen if you just used the general power steering fluid. Maybe other forum members will be more helpful on this issue.
Chippar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 12:24 PM   #8
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FIX IT NOW!!!!

it cost me a bucket load because it also killed my alternator, it was a couple hundred to get a new hose and fit it, plus some other stuff with my PS pump.

but if its leaking fix it today, itll cost alot less today then in 3 weeks.

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 04:27 PM   #9
DODDO
Can man

What i have done previously is remove the hose from the car, cut the hydraulic fitting off the pipe, making sure that you dont accidently knick the pipe itself, otherwise, it may leak again. Then, go to ford and buy the hydraulic fitting off them. It should have an O ring inside it. I think it costs around $10. Then simply place it back on the pipeand tighten it back into the housing.
As previously mentioned, do it straight away because it screws your altenator and dont re-fill the system with automatic transmission fluid. Ive used Valvoline Formula F, but you can use anything really that matches Ford specs.

Cheers!
Old 10-05-2007, 09:43 PM   #10
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Agree with all Doddoau said above, you can just change the screw in nut part for $10 but be careful cutting the old one off. There is a small circlip on the pipe which you must remove and then just click the new nut on
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 09:52 PM   #11
all4fordau

All the above are good methods but DO THE JOB NOW. I didnt realise mine was leaking until I did my weekly fluid checks but by this time the power steering fluid had leaked into the alternator and within another couple of days the alternator was ruined. Costs were $78 for a hose from repco and $240 for the alternator. It took me about 2 hours to replace the hose with basic tools and basic knowledge.
all4fordau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2007, 11:27 PM   #12
Aublokes
Starter Motor

Thanks boys for your advice ! I took it to "ENZED HOSE FITTERS" and the guys there where excellent. The bloke said they do about 50 a month, mostly cabbies.They just cut the end of the hose and weld a different fitting on that seals differently than the original and wont need replacing. Cost $55 and did it while i waited,top blokes! Otherwise, the old warrior, Chippitydip was spot on, Ebay and a mob called DRIVELINE SUPERSTORE sell the hose for $65 plus lots of other good stuff,well worth a look, cheaper than what Ford quoted at $400+ . Thanks again for advice , much appreciated.
Aublokes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2018, 07:36 PM   #13
purple78te
WINDSOR WARLORDS

Default Re: Power steering leaks ??

Ok so I know this is an old thread but how do I get the hoses out of the bracket holding them? Haven't started the job yet but I have a new high pressure hose to go in and I'll be doing it tomorrow after work. Seems pretty straight forward otherwise.

cars:
2000 au xl super cab 5L manual (off the road)
1978 purple te cortina ghia (doing body work)
1980 blue te cortina gl (parts car)
1970 xy falcon (awaiting full resto)
1995 ef falcon (sitting in the paddok with seized engine)
2001 vx commodore s pack (daily)
2003 ba blood orange manual xr8 (new daily)
purple78te is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2018, 09:59 PM   #14
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Memory says it's a C clamp with a bolt holding it to the cross member.
Undo that and you can open it up to remove the lines.
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2019, 05:50 PM   #15
L_T_D
Innovator

Had the same old leaking high pressure hose in my 04 BA LTD.

Just replaced original O rings with 2 of the smaller black O rings, and replaced the Teflon O ring. Hose is now firm on the nut, doesn't move.

2 hours down, and it still hasn't leaked.. *fingers crossed..*

South Australian Manufacturers and Suppliers of Reproduction Ford Parts Since 2019

https://www.facebook.com/oakdenbaird

dbelecserv@gmail.com
L_T_D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2019, 10:25 AM   #16
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_T_D View Post
Had the same old leaking high pressure hose in my 04 BA LTD.

Just replaced original O rings with 2 of the smaller black O rings, and replaced the Teflon O ring. Hose is now firm on the nut, doesn't move.

2 hours down, and it still hasn't leaked.. *fingers crossed..*
Any hints on replacing the Teflon O-ring?
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2019, 10:28 AM   #17
L_T_D
Innovator

I am by no means a mechanic (or an expert in this area AT ALL) but I had enough power steering fluid coated over the Teflon O-Ring to get it over the thread.

Finger nails to inch it down.

South Australian Manufacturers and Suppliers of Reproduction Ford Parts Since 2019

https://www.facebook.com/oakdenbaird

dbelecserv@gmail.com
L_T_D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post