Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 07-12-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
focusrally888

Default 17" focus Tyre Sales

in need of a couple of tyres but on a shoe string budget at this time of year... went to bob jane and they recommended a tyre in there latest catalogue Turenzu?? Er300 i know there are heaps of people on the Potenzas so i thought someone would know something.... is $200 on special a good price? my main thing is i think i want a touring tyre and what is a good silica tyre below this price?? are the dunlops cheaper?

focusrally888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2008, 12:21 PM   #2
focusrally888

i also got a "special" price for potenzas at $250 a corner
Old 07-12-2008, 10:16 PM   #3
Mullett
Badly Focused

Khumos are a good tyre, and you should be able to pick them up for less than $180 fitted. Depends if you want to go for the 205/50 (rarer and more expensive) or the 215/45 (cheaper...)

-RM.

93 GSR/Evo3...too much to mention, 12.2sec 1/4, FOR SALE!

*Maybe we don't try putting holes in things that sink, yeah?*
Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2008, 10:31 PM   #4
focusrally888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullett
Khumos are a good tyre, and you should be able to pick them up for less than $180 fitted. Depends if you want to go for the 205/50 (rarer and more expensive) or the 215/45 (cheaper...)

-RM.

yeah i went on the khumo website good prices which ones do u recommend\
Old 07-12-2008, 11:39 PM   #5
BlackLS
yum

Maxxis MA-Z1 from Bob Jane $165 each. Thats for 215/45

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2008, 10:15 AM   #6
Conquest_Tsi

Those Maxiss came standard on my LS and are awful, have the ER300s on the front and seem to go well.
Conquest_Tsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2008, 10:46 AM   #7
BlackLS
yum

I thought the LS came standard with NCTs, or were they aftermarket. I know the MA-V1s are garbage but the MA-Z1s are very good especially in the wet.

Wheels as well as Street Commodores did seperate tests and found it right up there.

http://www.bobjane.com.au/Corporate/...-Z1_wheels.pdf

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2008, 02:47 PM   #8
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

I've recently upgraded from 15's to 17's fitting Goodyear Eagle F1-GSD3's on my LR. So far so good. It even handles hail on the road pretty good too. Got them for $200 each.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2008, 05:03 PM   #9
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Potenza RE001's should be under $200 a corner if you haggle.....

Turanza's are a comfort/luxury as opposed to the potenza's being the sports...!
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2008, 08:34 PM   #10
focusrally888

okay heaps of feed back!!! if u bargain what can u get of rrp at a tyre shop? thanks for the heap of options... if you have any more models under $200 keep them coming ne other thing is silica a must in a tyre?
Old 08-12-2008, 10:57 PM   #11
Mullett
Badly Focused

Silica is just the latest buzzword. I mean, if you can get it, great, but don't fork out big $$$ for it. I think the Khumo Excta sports? I forget which ones I had, but they were quite nice. Only a couple of them come in the right size...

-RM.

oh....and maxxis are round. And black. And not much more. That said, I haven't driven on the new ones.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:03 PM   #12
focusrally888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullett
Silica is just the latest buzzword. I mean, if you can get it, great, but don't fork out big $$$ for it. I think the Khumo Excta sports? I forget which ones I had, but they were quite nice. Only a couple of them come in the right size...

-RM.

oh....and maxxis are round. And black. And not much more. That said, I haven't driven on the new ones.

what tyre shop do you go in perth? i think falken or khumo
Old 08-12-2008, 11:24 PM   #13
Mullett
Badly Focused

I just hunt around mate, whoever is doing the best deal at the time. You're forking out $800+, so don't be rushed into it. The websites of the bigger guys often have deals, and some shops are more flexible than others. I've had a pretty good run with Beach Road tyres and brakes in Malaga, he'll usually beat anything anyone else has advertised, but I'd still shop around...

-RM.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:22 PM   #14
mudwaa

I cant recommend the Potenzas enough. Although i do have a few suspension mods the guys from work cant believe the corner speed of the focus. Only downside is im always up for first shout at the pub while i wait for them to arrive.
mudwaa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2008, 08:59 AM   #15
Mullett
Badly Focused

Yup, Potenzas are a decent tyres, as are a lot of the Pirellis. If you can get any of these brand names in a good compound on your budget, it's absolutely the way to go. The other tyre I've heard good things about is the Falken 452, but they aren't sold in WA.

-RM.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:29 PM   #16
focusrally888

yeah everyone talks up the potenzas i dont really like bridgestone for some reason, they are so expencive, i feel the same about good year i kind of feel like your paying for the name on those tyres. Been doing some extreme research with papers, calling and internet

got a quote for BF goodrigde G-force sport $220, kumho solus kh17 $99, kumho ku31 $160
falken tyres cant get a finger on them in perth..

what is a good price for the potenzas... best price i have seen is $250

I also found a mob on email selling cheap tyres too.

the more i look into this the more i realise there isnt many options??? you have potenzas or kumho ku31??
Old 12-12-2008, 09:20 PM   #17
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends, if you want your car to stick to the road like glue, and get 30,000km out of them... buy the Bridgestones, If you want your car to potentially lose some handling capability, and wear out in 20,000km buy the kumho's....

Ive got 22,000km out of the RE001's and they are showing HARDLY any sign of wear at all. 70% treat the Bob Jane guys said on Monday.....

They are worth the extra, shop around, be prepared to walk away from any deal, you are not happy with.... and when you have haggled the cheapest price, say you are taking the wheel alignment elsewhere, and you will get that for half price as well!
Old 13-12-2008, 03:36 PM   #18
focusrally888

been doing the run around all day today!!! i am booked in at bridgestone osbourne park next saturday $195 a corner for the 215/45/17 re001 was by far the best quote i got around town, buy tyres isnt fun! and they way the economy they are pumpin the prices up!!!!
Old 14-12-2008, 09:48 AM   #19
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rubber prices fluctuate with the price of fuel... as oil is a major component used in the production of tyres. Prices on all rubber will drop significantly by Easter....

But that is a fantastic price for those RE001's, you wont be disappointed...... when (if?) you find the limit and stick within it.... they are sensational...
Old 14-12-2008, 08:27 PM   #20
Conquest_Tsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
I thought the LS came standard with NCTs, or were they aftermarket. I know the MA-V1s are garbage but the MA-Z1s are very good especially in the wet.

Wheels as well as Street Commodores did seperate tests and found it right up there.

http://www.bobjane.com.au/Corporate/...-Z1_wheels.pdf

Thanks for that LS, nah they came standard on it funnily enough, dealer must of chucked them on as i assume they were cheap and fit on the 17's.

and they are the MA-V1s and indeed crap.

The Z1s a mate has on his 300zx and are very good.
Conquest_Tsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2008, 10:13 PM   #21
focusrally888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
Rubber prices fluctuate with the price of fuel... as oil is a major component used in the production of tyres. Prices on all rubber will drop significantly by Easter....

But that is a fantastic price for those RE001's, you wont be disappointed...... when (if?) you find the limit and stick within it.... they are sensational...

maybe i should hold out till then and just rotate tyres???
Old 18-12-2008, 09:38 PM   #22
smee323
Yes it is mine...

I recently bought some E050EZ's for my ST 170.
They worked out to be 225 a corner from Bridgestone.
These are the same tyres used on the WRX. They have a very flat profile. Hond S200 also use them, but they are more rounded with a slightly softer side wall.
Just check that the 001's are correct for the car. They are currently getting rid of a lot of XL (Extra Load) ones.
The E050's are a better tyre with the Jap made one coming in at $400 + a tyre..
smee323 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2008, 01:22 AM   #23
WRC1AB
WRC1AB

Get the Bridgestones re001 (adrenalines) i have them on my rears.
My fronts are hankook ventus rs2 (not as good as the re001).
Old 19-12-2008, 03:52 PM   #24
focusrally888

i just got a call from the tyre shop... wont be able to get the Re001 in till Jan now so.... so i just told them not to worry i need them now so i am going for kumhos ku31s they are only $150 a corner bit of a shame but still a good deal
Old 06-07-2009, 10:54 AM   #25
BrisVegas
Noobie

digging up an old thread, sorry....

I need new tyres for my LS Zetec and it's 205/50R17 93W. I've rang a couple of places in Brisbane so far and the cheapest I can get the Bridgestone Adrenalins is $270 each.

Are the prices posted above for 205/50's?

They don't make an Adrenalin in 215/45 at 93W. It's a 91 load rating only.
http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/...Adrenalin.aspx

Is the Adrenalin still the best tyre out there for the Focus? I can get Yokohama's thru a friend for a good price. Would the C.Drive or db decibels be comparable?
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 05:21 PM   #26
focusrally888

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusrally888
been doing the run around all day today!!! i am booked in at bridgestone osbourne park next saturday $195 a corner for the 215/45/17 re001 was by far the best quote i got around town, buy tyres isnt fun! and they way the economy they are pumpin the prices up!!!!
i would get the yokos thats what my GF has and if you can get them cheap! i endded up with ku31 and they were great!
Old 09-10-2010, 11:50 AM   #27
daveb7
Starter Motor

I just this morning purchased a second pair of Maxxis MA-V1, after replacing the front Falken ZE912s I had on my LR Zetec (with 17s), and todays purchase replaced the last two ZE912s which were shot.

The falkens were very nice tyres, quite smooth, fairly grippy, and very quiet.
I was starting to get a bit of a tyre drone from them, so I had the fronts replaced with the MA-V1s.

The drone ended up being QUITE loud, very intrusive from about 40km/h upwards, and resonant and annoying at highway speeds. It sounded like it was coming from the back, although I had a hunch that it mightve been from the front where the MA-V1s are.

Fitted the new pair, rotated the fronts to the rear....annoying tyre drone reduced, and comes at a higher threshold, but still there!!

The MA-V1s were only $146 a tyre, but I think ive ended up with a bit of a raw deal. So we have 40k kms of dreadful noise to look forward too :S

I hope for the dealers sake the MA-Z1s are better, you guys seem to concur.

In regards to the Falkens, I mustve had a bad batch, or a subtly off wheel balance, cause they wore out quite fast, maybe 20000kms? possibly more.
Quite dissapointing.

Who'd have thought 4 round bits of rubber could be so frustrating :(
daveb7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post