Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-06-2018, 03:51 PM   #1
Vortex-98

Default Help to raise my AU 5.0 idle rpm

Hey guys the idle on my car sits at like 650 rpm which I feel is a little low, how can I increase rpms to 900 without having the factory ECU relearn it an bring it down again......if i were to open the throttle with the adjustment screw would that work
Old 13-06-2018, 04:59 PM   #2
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Help to raise my AU 5.0 idle rpm

I would clean the IDLE SPEED CONTROL AUX AIR VALVE IAC to start. Helped with mine. Then I clean the MAF
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2018, 02:49 PM   #3
Vortex-98

Just clean them with brake cleaner ?
,what' does yours idle at?
Even tho 650 seems low it's not low enuf to cause any issues but it just would sound a lot better around 900 rpm..il give them a clean up an post back if it's worked
So the adjustment screw on the TB would that work.,I'l wind her up a lol an see if it holds
Old 17-06-2018, 04:10 PM   #4
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex-98 View Post
Just clean them with brake cleaner ?
,what' does yours idle at?
Even tho 650 seems low it's not low enuf to cause any issues but it just would sound a lot better around 900 rpm..il give them a clean up an post back if it's worked
So the adjustment screw on the TB would that work.,I'l wind her up a lol an see if it holds
I think the only thing to use would be specific a MAF cleaner
Old 19-06-2018, 12:31 PM   #5
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
I think the only thing to use would be specific a MAF cleaner
And be careful when you do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD View Post
DO NOT change the idle screw on the TB as this cause all sorts of problems with the ECU tune trying to counter the change you made on the screw.
Ditto - the EEC timing advance (and other EEC presets)will vary to change the idle speed. Leave it alone.
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-06-2018, 03:45 PM   #6
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I had some MAF cleaner from SuperCheap.

Mine now idles at 750 from memory but it was at 600, when I stoped and put the car in Park it would stall, now it keeps ticking over.
I would clean first and take it from here.
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Old 17-06-2018, 05:04 PM   #7
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Factory idle speed in the tune is set to 774rpm. Why do you think your idle is too low? The factory tacho is not that accurate, so if it is not causing any problems let it go.

DO NOT change the idle screw on the TB as this cause all sorts of problems with the ECU tune trying to counter the change you made on the screw.

happy to discuss further via PM if you need.

Cheers
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2018, 05:51 PM   #8
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Listen to Stu, whats why I have only ever cleaned mine
UK
Old 18-06-2018, 06:54 PM   #9
undertow

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: AU Aux input HOW TO. 

650 is spot on for a 185kw auto. 900 will push against the brakes at a stop and use more fuel. Lower idle sounds better too IMO. If you want to experiment though make sure you count the turns on the idle stop screw so you can put it back afterwards. The ECU will try to bring the idle back down until it has no more adjustment left.
undertow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2018, 02:11 PM   #10
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Say hello to surging and hunting if you stuff around with the idle screw.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2018, 01:55 PM   #11
Vortex-98

Ok ...I didn't touch the idle screw I was just asking was going to clean it first an see if that's helps...so am bit confused is 650 spot on for 185kw au 5.0 or is it 774 rpm there's a bit of difference...uncle kens said his idles 750rpm ...do 200s an 220s idle higher?
Old 23-06-2018, 08:24 PM   #12
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Cool Re: Help to raise my AU 5.0 idle rpm

Quote:
Ok ...I didn't touch the idle screw I was just asking was going to clean it first an see if that's helps...so am bit confused is 650 spot on for 185kw au 5.0 or is it 774 rpm there's a bit of difference...uncle kens said his idles 750rpm ...do 200s an 220s idle higher?
Its because AU Tickford V8's have such massive POWER.
UK
Old 25-06-2018, 01:28 PM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
I would assume the bigger cams in the 200 and 220 would require a slightly higher idle.

The cam in the 185 from memory is actually smaller than the E series 165 HO cam I think. If it is a stock Explorer cam. So an idle of 650 rpm is perfectly fine. Can't see why you would need to raise it.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2018, 02:20 PM   #14
Vortex-98

I think i know whats going on ..On the back of the bonnet it's got the idle speed an shows that when engine is cold it idles lower as the motor reaches temp the revs increase at idle, so it's only when engine is at normal operating temp that it sits on 750 rpm .cold temp under 105 f>625 -675rpm 650-700rpm an 750-800 rpm at normal operating temp
So 774 r p m when warm was pretty close to what I had when I checked it
Old 23-06-2018, 02:23 PM   #15
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Vortex, I think everyone was just advising not to adjust the idle screw. The tune for a 200 and a 220 are relatively the same. I would assume that they are both aiming for a target idle of 774. The ISC is the first thing that I would be looking at to ensure it is clean and not sticking as this is how the EEC controls the idle.

Do you have an ELM327 and Forscan? If you do, I would be interested when idling what your ISCDTY is sitting at. This is a measure of how hard the ISC is working to achieve the desired idle speed.

There is a way of resetting your idle speed but this is fairly advance and rarely needed on a standart TB setup. I have only used this process when moving to an aftermarket TB setup and once a newly supercharged stock TB.

Cheers
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: