Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 09:29 PM   #9991
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Default Covid 19 -

Covid-19 vaccines given to 11.7% of Netherlands adults

https://nltimes.nl/2021/03/30/covid-...erlands-adults
Old 01-04-2021, 09:30 PM   #9992
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Someone is very bored.
This user likes this post:
Old 01-04-2021, 09:33 PM   #9993
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

'Critical window' to prevent fourth Covid-19 wave - Ireland

The Deputy Chief Medical Officer has said there is "a critical window" in the coming weeks to prevent a "significant" fourth wave of Covid-19 infection and people "have to work together" to avoid such a situation.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/...phet-briefing/
Old 01-04-2021, 09:38 PM   #9994
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

All in all it looks like a long haul job for the EU at this stage.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:55 PM   #9995
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Someone is very bored.

Get a good book. You’re never bored with a good book on hand
2 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2021, 09:57 PM   #9996
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Get a good book. You’re never bored with a good book on hand
Who Moved My Cheese?

That's a good book...
Old 01-04-2021, 09:58 PM   #9997
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I will preface this by saying the rollout was never going to be smooth but despite getting our AZ imports blocked, Hunt said it wouldn't affect our rollout.

How on earth that is logical is beyond me since that was meant to fill the gap. Now we are well short of the 4m target by the 31st. I'm not really worried about it but why can't they be honest about it.

A couple of weeks delay is not that much of a deal in context. The worst thing is the EU is still blocking our contracted supply going to PNG.

We have literally doubled the shots since local production. It's still slow but I'm hoping it keeps picking up.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:05 PM   #9998
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
Who Moved My Cheese?

That's a good book...

That’s a good book. Plenty of takeaways there. I’m currently reading the Lee Child Jack Reacher series on my iPad borrowed from the local library.

Anyway, plenty of choices for you there Ticky Boy. No reason to be bored.

And back on topic.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2021, 10:44 PM   #9999
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My uncle's wife's brother in law's sister's best friend's pet dog heard a rumour that we may have made inquiries about Sputnik V. Anyone else getting a sniff?

It would not come as a surprise. We tend to follow the UK when it comes to TGA approvals. And UK has been putting out some positive news on the Sputnik V.

It actually makes good risk management sense to use as many different effective vaccines as possible on your population. If one turns sour, you are not going to affect your entire population.

BTW. Melb is heaving tonight. Busy busy jam jam. Great to see!
Old 01-04-2021, 10:50 PM   #10000
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’m still calling the elephant in the room with some situations elsewhere; bad outbreaks exacerbated by mass psychogenic illness in affected people.

That aside, it’s difficult to gauge the present order of desired outcomes for Aussies. Is the first preference for personal safety, or the ability to travel? As in, would people exchange risk for more travel freedom? What about travelling to another country to receive a vaccine not so readily offered here?
Old 01-04-2021, 11:02 PM   #10001
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
My uncle's wife's brother in law's sister's best friend's pet dog heard a rumour that we may have made inquiries about Sputnik V. Anyone else getting a sniff?

It would not come as a surprise. We tend to follow the UK when it comes to TGA approvals. And UK has been putting out some positive news on the Sputnik V.

It actually makes good risk management sense to use as many different effective vaccines as possible on your population. If one turns sour, you are not going to affect your entire population.

BTW. Melb is heaving tonight. Busy busy jam jam. Great to see!
No ****en chance here. Our problem is not access to vaccines unlike other countries where Russia and China have being reaching out.

AZ is online now, we are going slow but I'd be surprised if either the Sputnik V or Sinovac or whatever you could even get TGA approval. They are shady as ****.

I don't trust them ****s and that's enough to rule it out
Old 01-04-2021, 11:11 PM   #10002
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
No ****en chance here. Our problem is not access to vaccines unlike other countries where Russia and China have being reaching out.

AZ is online now, we are going slow but I'd be surprised if either the Sputnik V or Sinovac or whatever you could even get TGA approval. They are shady as ****.

I don't trust them ****s and that's enough to rule it out
Ha! What's the output out of the Melb factory? 800,000 was the first batch, how long did that take?

If we say 800,000 a month as the production rate, then we'll be waiting ~58 months before everyone gets their required doses. Even doubling that production rate we are talking more than 2 years!
Old 01-04-2021, 11:29 PM   #10003
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Ha! What's the output out of the Melb factory? 800,000 was the first batch, how long did that take?

If we say 800,000 a month as the production rate, then we'll be waiting ~58 months before everyone gets their required doses. Even doubling that production rate we are talking more than 2 years!
That was the initial batch. 1m+ AZ doses a week from CSL at full strength.
3 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2021, 11:44 PM   #10004
zilo
BANNED

Looks like women aren't handling vaccines as well as men.

From an absolutely positively reliable news source....

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/08/h...women-men.html
Old 02-04-2021, 10:35 AM   #10005
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

I’m in no rush to be vax’d. And I think you’ll find plenty of fellow Australian’s like me, and no, I’m not an anti-vaxer. If everyone around me wants to be vax’d good luck to you.

IMO, the vax shortages are hyped up, exaggerated fake news, allowing dimwit politicians to throw mud at each other.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2021, 10:39 AM   #10006
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A young bloke from my son's work was sent home and told to get tested on Wednesday in Brisbane.
Supposedly they will get to him tomorrow.
Meanwhile...
Old 02-04-2021, 10:52 AM   #10007
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Another ✅ for the Pfizer vaccine.

Pfizer says COVID-19 shot is 91 per cent effective in updated data, protective against South African variant

Quote:
The shot was also 100 per cent effective in preventing illness among trial participants in South Africa, where a new variant called B1351 is dominant.

While the new overall efficacy rate of 91.3 per cent is lower than the 95 per cent originally reported in November for its 44,000-person trial, a number of variants have become more prevalent around the world since then.

Experts fear new variants of COVID-19 from South Africa and Brazil may be resistant to existing vaccines and treatment.

Lab tests have previously indicated that the BioNTech vaccine was less potent but still offered a robust defence against the B1351 variant that first emerged in South Africa.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-...ants/100046244

No wonder Scotty and his Canberra counterparts all jumped the queue ahead of all the healthcare, quarantine workers, doctors and nurses to get the Pfizer vaccine. He knew he was getting the better vaccine, and the rest of us will be getting the cheaper, less effective AZ vaccine.

Question has to be asked, why did the PM get the jab only hours into the rollout?? Ahead of all the people who really did need to be vaccinated?? He is not even close to being in the 'at risk' category? Maybe, just maybe, if the Pfizer vaccines that were administered to the PM and his Canberra goons had been given to the doctors and nurses at the Princess Alexandra Hospital in Brisbane, the last outbreak and lockdown in QLD could have been prevented??
Old 02-04-2021, 11:12 AM   #10008
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If he didn't get the jab people would whinge about it but they are still whinging about it too. I'm pretty sure Albo and Gladys got AZ as will most Aussies. You get a choice and the choice is between 70+ or zero. Pfizer is not going to be an option at least in the short term.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:38 AM   #10009
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
If he didn't get the jab people would whinge about it but they are still whinging about it too.
Really? Do you think if Scotty and all the other polies had stated they 'will definitely be getting vaccinated in a few weeks once the majority of the healthcare, quarantine workers, doctors and nurses who are on the frontline against Covid get vaccinated', or a similar statement, that most sane people would be whinging?? I don't think so.

I think most sane Australians would've actually appreciated that they didn't think they were more important than the frontline workers trying to prevent outbreaks and lockdowns.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:40 AM   #10010
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe, just maybe, if the Pfizer vaccines that were administered to the PM and his Canberra goons had been given to the doctors and nurses at the Princess Alexandra Hospital in Brisbane, the last outbreak and lockdown in QLD could have been prevented??[/QUOTE]

Think you can still spread the Virus even if you are fully inoculated. So i imagine no it still would have got out.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:53 AM   #10011
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

We haven't had a look at the graphs for awhile but as it is now a little over 13 months since the pandemic started to really take hold, it's probably a good time to do so.

CMR by continent
Back in the early days, these numbers were much higher. In May last year, the global average was 6.67% with Europe the worst at over 9% but by December last year those numbers were down to a 2.23% global average and South America was the worst at 2.84%. The global average hasn't dropped much more but there now isn't a lot of variation across the other continents except Asia which is possibly understated.

May 2020

Now

Cases per 100k Adult Population
Not much point looking back at the old charts as these are obviously going to just keep increasing. However, back in May last year the global average was 40.1/100k with Spain and Italy the worst at 494 and 467 respectively.

The global average is now 2,308/100k and the USA is well out in front on 14,911/100k followed by Sweden with 9,808/100k. Australia is fractionally under 163/100k.

Deaths per 100k Adult Population
Back in May last year, the global average was a little over 2.7/100k and Italy had the worst numbers with 61/100k followed by Belgium with 55/100k. Again, those numbers will obviously increase and the global average is now 50.4/100k and Italy still has the worst numbers (excluding tiny countries) with 296/100k but the USA is now the next highest with 270/100k. Australia is fractionally over 5.0/100k.

CMR by Country
There is still a wide disparity in the case mortality rates some of which will still be based on the quantity of testing done but it really should have stabilised by now.

Back in mid-May last year, the global CMR was 6.85% with Belgium (14.3%), France (13.1%) and Italy (13.1%) having the worst numbers. Australia was just on 1%.
By November, the global average was down to 2.37% with Peru (3.7%), the UK (3.68%) and Italy (3.61%) the worst but Australia had bucked the overall trend and had risen to 3.26%.

As it stands now, the global average has fallen slightly, now 2.18% while Peru 3.36%, Australia (3.1%) and Italy (3.305%) are amongst the worst.

The final two charts depict the rates of global case growth and mortality by looking at how many days elapse between each milestone - in this instance each 1M new cases and 50k new deaths.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 02-04-2021, 12:09 PM   #10012
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Really? Do you think if Scotty and all the other polies had stated they 'will definitely be getting vaccinated in a few weeks once the majority of the healthcare, quarantine workers, doctors and nurses who are on the frontline against Covid get vaccinated', or a similar statement, that most sane people would be whinging?? I don't think so.

I think most sane Australians would've actually appreciated that they didn't think they were more important than the frontline workers trying to prevent outbreaks and lockdowns.
And that's the problem. Not everyone is sane which is why they are taking the jab on camera. Even then you still have people who have concerns.
Old 02-04-2021, 01:50 PM   #10013
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT April 1st, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

15 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.100%.

4 new case and 0 deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.040% and active cases 67.

The UK had a higher 4,478 cases yesterday and 51 deaths. That's the 6th consecutive day under 5k cases.

Just over 70k new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,186 deaths sees CMR at 1.814%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 130M, the last 1M in 1 day;
South America sets a new daily case high of 137,872 cases;
Asia sets a new daily case high of 198,502 cases;
Africa moves above the 90th percentile for the 10-day average;

Yemen (174);
Maldives (300);
Togo (405);
Venezuela (1,348);
Ethiopia (2,372);
Bangladesh (6,469);
Poland (35,251); and
Turkey (40,806)

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Canada and India move above the 90th percentile for their 10 day average while no countries drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2021, 02:41 PM   #10014
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Man admitted to Victorian hospital with blood clots after receiving AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccine

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-...lots/100046540

I hope the article gets updated with Dr Norman Swan's commentary. This is in line with the 1 in 100,000 rate observed in Europe. He also said UK are now also observing some similar cases.

TGA still maintain there is no proven link. I wonder how much political pressure there is on the TGA to keep AZ pumping until there is a "proven" link...and by then how many people will have already received it? Sounds very odd you wouldn't want more certainty.

Fortunately the 1a, 1b and 2a are mostly people that don't fit the profile.
Old 02-04-2021, 02:46 PM   #10015
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo
Looks like women aren't handling vaccines as well as men.

From an absolutely positively reliable news source....

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/08/h...women-men.html
So now the vaccine is sexist. Better get it cancelled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford.
Another ✅ for the Pfizer vaccine.

Pfizer says COVID-19 shot is 91 per cent effective in updated data, protective against South African variant

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-...ants/100046244

No wonder Scotty and his Canberra counterparts all jumped the queue ahead of all the healthcare, quarantine workers, doctors and nurses to get the Pfizer vaccine. He knew he was getting the better vaccine, and the rest of us will be getting the cheaper, less effective AZ vaccine.

Question has to be asked, why did the PM get the jab only hours into the rollout?? Ahead of all the people who really did need to be vaccinated?? He is not even close to being in the 'at risk' category? Maybe, just maybe, if the Pfizer vaccines that were administered to the PM and his Canberra goons had been given to the doctors and nurses at the Princess Alexandra Hospital in Brisbane, the last outbreak and lockdown in QLD could have been prevented??
Never heard of propaganda?
Old 02-04-2021, 03:29 PM   #10016
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

The news reports on Clot-Man are unclear as to whether he is affected by other conditions. That’s a big detail to not even acknowledge.

Aside from that, I appreciate the “12 month review” by Russell but am finding the forum format makes it a little cluttered to ponder. As a PDF or hotlinked set of images it might be easier to view.
Old 02-04-2021, 06:02 PM   #10017
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.theage.com.au/world/euro...02-p57g6q.html

Quote:
How can scientists figure out if the vaccine is responsible for the rare blood clots?

“The way to tell if cases are caused by vaccination is to look to see if there is an excess of cases in people who have been vaccinated,” said Dr Peter English, past chair of the British Medical Association’s Public Health Medicine Committee.

That will take some time. It took about a year, for instance, before scientists were able to conclude that a swine flu vaccine was responsible for some cases of narcolepsy in Europe."
Dr Normal Swan said these blood clots were "very specific" and "very rare", so he understands why some jurisdictions are being cautious. I think he said you can't just simply lump these cases with the general blood clot occurrences that happens in the general population.

Anyway, it hasn't been proven but it hasn't be disproved.
Old 02-04-2021, 06:44 PM   #10018
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender
Aside from that, I appreciate the “12 month review” by Russell but am finding the forum format makes it a little cluttered to ponder. As a PDF or hotlinked set of images it might be easier to view.
Here you are - in PDF format.

Observatio Facta Rotae

5 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2021, 07:17 PM   #10019
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Thanks - it’s much easier reading without avatars, extra borders, signatures.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:27 PM   #10020
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT April 2nd, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

14 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.099%.

No new case and 0 deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.040% and active cases 67.

The UK had a lower 3,402 cases yesterday and 52 deaths. That's the 7th consecutive day under 5k cases.

Just under 77k new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,282 deaths sees CMR at 1.813%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points: (a lot of countries didn't report on God Friday)
Global death pass 2.85M, the last 50k in 4 days;
South America sets a new daily case high of 144,377 cases;
Asia
sets a new daily case high of 211,809 cases;
Europe passes 40M cases;
North America passes 36M cases;

Bahrain (1,074);
Cuba (1,077);
Kazakhstan (2,077) - the previous high on 9/7/20;
Bosnia (2,154);
Uruguay (3,380);
Bangladesh (6,830);
Peru (12,916);
Philippines (15,310) - more than 50% above the previous high;
Ukraine (19,893); and
Turkey (42,308)

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

No countries move above the 90th percentile for their 10 day average while Malta drops below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 04-04-2021 at 01:14 PM.
Closed Thread