Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 02:17 PM   #10051
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Barnstorming vaccine effort key to dramatic reversal of UK’s COVID crisis

Quote:
London: Britain’s barnstorming coronavirus vaccine rollout is being credited with a 60 per cent drop in symptomatic cases and 80 per cent fall in hospital admissions, clearing the way for the economy’s reopening.

Once the hardest-hit country in Europe, the number of infections, hospitalisations and deaths in Britain has collapsed amid the combined effects of a prolonged lockdown and speedy mass vaccination program.

The vaccination rate is four times greater than in the European Union.
https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/...06-p57gpp.html
Old 06-04-2021, 02:18 PM   #10052
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My cuz working in aged care has not had the jab, and has not been given any indication on when she might even get it. 1a is all Pfizer so can't use Europe as an excuse.

They are also hearing rumours that they might need to seek their own doctors for the jab now. Which might mean they get the AZ instead of the Pfizer. Who knows.

A mess is an understatement.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
3 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2021, 03:28 PM   #10053
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Yes, 19th of April is confirmed for the reciprocal Australia-NZ travel bubble.

I hope NZ is ready for all the Aussies using them as a launch pad for other trips!

(Sorry five 7!)

Last edited by Citroënbender; 06-04-2021 at 03:33 PM.
This user likes this post:
Old 06-04-2021, 03:28 PM   #10054
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well the 19th April is the date for free travel between NZ and AU.
(you beat me CB )
Old 06-04-2021, 03:31 PM   #10055
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
The gay nomads are already planning to use NZ as a workaround for the not leaving Australia rules. Oz-NZ-Europe. I reckon there will be thousands pulling this move to travel everywhere!

Should be ideal for NZ return quarantine profitability.
Hummm.......

Old 06-04-2021, 03:34 PM   #10056
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes, 19th of April is confirmed for the reciprocal Australia-NZ travel bubble.

I hope NZ is ready for all the Aussies using them as a launch pad for other trips.
Shoosh NZ is depending on this staying open.
Old 06-04-2021, 05:04 PM   #10057
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
My cuz working in aged care has not had the jab, and has not been given any indication on when she might even get it. 1a is all Pfizer so can't use Europe as an excuse.

They are also hearing rumours that they might need to seek their own doctors for the jab now. Which might mean they get the AZ instead of the Pfizer. Who knows.

A mess is an understatement.

My wife works in aged-care and cant believe there had been no talk of the vaccine and the process they would use. She was informed only the day before the long weekend that there is no process and it is up to her to sort it. Then she was told it is not compulsory...what?! Yep, the flu jab is compulsory, Covid jab is not.
4 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2021, 05:29 PM   #10058
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
My wife works in aged-care and cant believe there had been no talk of the vaccine and the process they would use. She was informed only the day before the long weekend that there is no process and it is up to her to sort it. Then she was told it is not compulsory...what?! Yep, the flu jab is compulsory, Covid jab is not.
Thats right, my mother has just last month gone into aged care over in Perth and no one is allowed to visit unless they have proof of a recent Flu jab, no mention of Covid-19 at all, incidentally she had her first Covid shot 10 days ago.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
3 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2021, 10:25 PM   #10059
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well this is not going to help with the roll out......

‘Link’ between AstraZeneca vaccine and blood clots, EMA official says

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/h...-b1827238.html

"In an interview with Italy’s Il Messaggero newspaper, Marco Cavaleri, head of vaccines strategy at the EMA, said it was “clear there is a link with the vaccine” but there was still uncertainty about what exactly was causing such a reaction.

Mr Cavaleri said that among younger vaccinated people there was a higher than expected number of cases of cerebral thrombosis – blood clotting in the brain – compared with the general population.

He suggested that the EMA would make a statement on the situation later on Monday. The Independent contacted the EMA for comment."
Old 07-04-2021, 07:55 AM   #10060
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by five 7 View Post
Shoosh NZ is depending on this staying open.
A bit slow off the bat, now formally noted that Australian residents can mostly go to NZ without an exemption.

https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/n...vel-zone#toc-6
Old 07-04-2021, 08:24 AM   #10061
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A bit slow off the bat, now formally noted that Australian residents can mostly go to NZ without an exemption.

https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/n...vel-zone#toc-6
"Temporary visa holders do not need an exemption to depart Australia"

Strange statement. Above that it says NZ should be your final destination.

?

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 07-04-2021, 08:36 AM   #10062
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Scomo telling a few porkies..........

https://www.news.com.au/national/bre...3f862b323c99d2
Old 07-04-2021, 08:41 AM   #10063
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 07-04-2021, 12:39 PM   #10064
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT April 6th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

7 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.096%.

17 new cases and 0 deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.030% and active cases 74.

The UK had a lower 2,379 cases yesterday and 20 deaths. That's the 11th consecutive day under 5k cases.

Just over 60k new cases in the USA yesterday and 576 deaths sees CMR at 1.808%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 133M, the last 1M in 1 day;
Asia sets a new daily high of 245,540;

Djibouti (415);
Mongolia (831);
Bangladesh (7,213);
Iraq (7,300);
Iran (17,430);
Turkey (49,584); and
India (115,269)

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Guatemala and Angola move above the 90th percentile for their 10 day average and Namibia drops below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 08-04-2021 at 01:29 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2021, 05:20 AM   #10065
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just curious as to what the acceptance of the vaccine is like in Aus.
Here (USA, GA), informally polling my contacts (limited sample size):

Black Friends and colleagues are marginally less likely to take vaccine.
Political affiliation seems to have no influence.
Risk categories other than age seems to have no influence

Aged are notably more likely.
Rural People are notably less likely.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:56 AM   #10066
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
Just curious as to what the acceptance of the vaccine is like in Aus.
Here (USA, GA), informally polling my contacts (limited sample size):

Black Friends and colleagues are marginally less likely to take vaccine.
Political affiliation seems to have no influence.
Risk categories other than age seems to have no influence

Aged are notably more likely.
Rural People are notably less likely.
The roll out has been botched so badly that we can't even tell you If its not available then its hard to tell who would or wouldn't take it.

Anecdotal evidence suggests the elderly are very keen to get it, but a small fraction of front line medical staff are a bit hesitant.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:00 AM   #10067
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

It’s starting to sound so dicey, I’m up for it as a thrill.

Sort of like shoving a Third World bungee cord jump up your arm. I expect to be allowed to holler “GERONIMO!” at the top of my voice as the needle goes in.
Old 08-04-2021, 01:28 PM   #10068
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT April 7th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

13 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.094%.

7 new cases and 0 deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.027% and active cases 81.

The UK had a higher 3,392 cases yesterday and 45 deaths.

Just under 64k new cases in the USA yesterday and 906 deaths sees CMR at 1.807%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global deaths move above the 90th percentile;
Asia passes 30M cases;
South America sets a new daily high of 146,361;
Asia sets a new daily high of 265,036;

Cabo Verde (191) - equal the previous high;
Uruguay (3,924);
Bangladesh (7,626);Iraq (8,331);Iran (20,954);Turkey (54,740); andIndia (126,315)

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Honduras and South Korea move above the 90th percentile for their 10 day average and the Netherlands drops below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 08-04-2021, 08:40 PM   #10069
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well our vaccine roll out just took a turn. Live presser now. Pfizer now recommended for <50 where they have not already been given a first AZ dose. AZ should only be given as a first dose where the benefit outweighs the the risk based on their circumstances which should be most people. But no way in hell does this helps the roll out already behind
Old 08-04-2021, 09:11 PM   #10070
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So basically what is going to happen is health care workers <50 will be re prioritised to have the Pfizer vaccine, and those older will get AZ.

They reckon only phase 1b will be potentially delayed due to this but how is that possible unless we continue using the AZ as the workhorse assuming CSL delivers what is expected or get more Pfizer etc is beyond me. "It's not a direction but a recommendation" I've seen a lot of spin and obfuscation before but holy ****
Old 08-04-2021, 10:10 PM   #10071
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Well our vaccine roll out just took a turn. Live presser now. Pfizer now recommended for <50 where they have not already been given a first AZ dose. AZ should only be given as a first dose where the benefit outweighs the the risk based on their circumstances which should be most people. But no way in hell does this helps the roll out already behind

Tell me you couldn't see it from a mile away. I think I got a few heckles when I first mentioned AZ and the link to blood clots.

Obtaining Pfizer for the population is going to be a problem too.

Maybe the Sputnik V inquiry is more that just a murmur?
2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2021, 10:20 PM   #10072
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Tell me you couldn't see it from a mile away. I think I got a few heckles when I first mentioned AZ and the link to blood clots.

Obtaining Pfizer for the population is going to be a problem too.

Maybe the Sputnik V inquiry is more that just a murmur?
I have no issues with the AZ at all and there is still yet a causal link to be confirmed.

The issue is in the same presser they are saying it is recommended to get Pfizer while also saying that there is basically **** all risk with AZ and you can still get it if you want.

There's still Novavax but that is not approved, is manufactured in Europe, and won't be here for some time. There is some talk about CSL making that but it is literally all the same risk at this point

Unless we can get more Pfizer and/or people continue as normal with AZ the roll out is shot but they are saying only 1b phase will be affected. Time will only tell I guess.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:38 PM   #10073
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
A certain member is now writing “I TOLD YOU SO” in letters six feet tall, with a bottle of tomato sauce, on the outside of the AFF compound.
3 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2021, 12:32 AM   #10074
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe Vic Gov should invoke EU style ban on export until we get our doses

Heard on ABC that one clinic had to cancel 400 appointments because the doses didn't arrive and they had already taken all the bookings. Not sure if that was in Vic or elsewhere.

Federal government delivering week-late vaccine batches to Victoria

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...08-p57hg3.html

"Data seen by The Age reveals three batches of the AstraZeneca vaccine arrived in Victoria seven days late on March 26, four days late on March 30 and seven days late on Thursday. The batches included a combination of doses manufactured overseas and at the Broadmeadows CSL plant."
Old 09-04-2021, 07:39 AM   #10075
leesa

Quote:
A certain member is now writing “I TOLD YOU SO” in letters six feet tall, with a bottle of tomato sauce, on the outside of the AFF compound.
Don't be silly, I wouldn't waste good tomato sauce like that 😆
But yes I am glad that pfizer might become and option for the rest of us. Cost be damned, the country can't afford for people to lose faith in the vaccine rollout and should just do it.

Old 09-04-2021, 08:22 AM   #10076
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Only blind Freddie couldn’t see the haste of rolling out the vaccine turning into the proverbial cluster F.

I predict there will be another vaccine dysfunction, quad turn, triple twist announcement which contradicts this latest announcement coming soon.

To all the experts and early adopters please go ahead and take the vaccine, I’m in no rush, someone can take my spot in the queue.

And don’t forget that we haven’t yet seen any mid to long term side effects...
Old 09-04-2021, 09:57 AM   #10077
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
Don't be silly, I wouldn't waste good tomato sauce like that 😆
But yes I am glad that pfizer might become and option for the rest of us. Cost be damned, the country can't afford for people to lose faith in the vaccine rollout and should just do it.
From my understanding, the status quo is the same for most people. AZ or nothing. All they can do is change the priority for Pfizer with the doses they have.

They can't offer a choice they don't have unless they can pull a lot of Pfizer doses out of their ****.

Even if they could, I can see a potential **** storm brewing between the federal government and CSL
2 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2021, 11:39 AM   #10078
leesa

Quote:
All they can do is change the priority for Pfizer with the doses they have.

They can't offer a choice they don't have unless they can pull a lot of Pfizer doses out of their ****.
They need to go buy more doses for the entire population, like many other countries did.

Old 09-04-2021, 11:40 AM   #10079
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

It’s like you’re putting your hands over your eyes but have to peep through the gaps between your fingers. Sort of a real life, slow-mo, horror show.
Old 09-04-2021, 12:06 PM   #10080
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
They need to go buy more doses for the entire population, like many other countries did.
They can buy doses to do the country 100 times over, they still have to get here. When is that and how many will wait

These things will ultimately determine how quick we open up and prevent waves of infections.

My opinion is don't let perfect get in the way of good. It is cheap, has a high efficacy, can be produced here and so far the number of serious side effects are so rare. Talk to your doctor rather than just writing it off like so many are saying.

As for the <50 vs <30, my understanding is the difference is the risk vs benefit given we don't have widespread Covid infections here but depending on what happens that could change.
Closed Thread