Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2021, 12:48 PM   #10081
leesa

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
They can buy doses to do the country 100 times over, they still have to get here. When is that and how many will wait

These things will ultimately determine how quick we open up and prevent waves of infections.

My opinion is don't let perfect get in the way of good. It is cheap, has a high efficacy, can be produced here and so far the number of serious side effects are so rare. Talk to your doctor rather than just writing it off like so many are saying.

As for the <50 vs <30, my understanding is the difference is the risk vs benefit given we don't have widespread Covid infections here but depending on what happens that could change.
Your opinion is fine, you're entitled to it. Fortunately so am I. We've discussed it before, not sure what you feel can be achieved by discussing it again. If you want to go get the AZ vaccine, go for it, there's nothing stopping you. I maintain that throwing the minority who'll die from the vaccine under the bus as an acceptable cost for the benefit of the country being vaccinated is not okay. If we weren't out to protect everyone then perhaps the country should not have been locked down at all, and it should have been left to naturally wipe out the minority of people who would have died from it.

2 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2021, 12:52 PM   #10082
leesa

"We are confident at some stage in the near future we will get an improved supply of Pfizer."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-...know/100057354

Old 09-04-2021, 02:00 PM   #10083
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT April 8th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

5 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.094%.

24 new cases and 0 deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.018% and active cases 94.

The UK had a lower 2,400 cases yesterday and 53 deaths.

Just over 75k new cases in the USA yesterday and 2,588 deaths (some of them carried over from the previous day) sees CMR at 1.811%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 134M, the last 1M in 2 days;
Global deaths pass 2.9M, the last 50k in 6 days;
Europe passes 41M cases;
South America passes 22M cases;
India passes 13M cases;
South America sets a new daily high of 153,206;
Asia sets a new daily high of 280,227;

Guyana (135);
Mali (413);
Kazakhstan (2,586);
Palestine (2,884);
Iran (22,586);
Turkey
(55,941); and

India (131,893)

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Japan and Colombia move above the 90th percentile for their 10 day average and none drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2021, 02:47 PM   #10084
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It was just announced we have secured 20m more Pfizer doses due in Q4 on top of the 20m already bought.

We've hit the 1m vaccinations mark now so raise the bat
Old 09-04-2021, 03:08 PM   #10085
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:

1M Aussies vaccinated, or 1M x first of two shots?

I’m reminded of a local park, built after three years of community consultation and at considerable expense. Nobody goes there! At least it shows bureaucratic consistency; faff about, make a choice that many people are probably unexcited by, spend lotsa dollars and then discover uptake is flaky.
This user likes this post:
Old 09-04-2021, 03:14 PM   #10086
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post

1M Aussies vaccinated, or 1M x first of two shots?

I’m reminded of a local park, built after three years of community consultation and at considerable expense. Nobody goes there! At least it shows bureaucratic consistency; faff about, make a choice that many people are probably unexcited by, spend lotsa dollars and then discover uptake is flaky.
Doses. Not sure how many of those are fully vaccinated.
Old 09-04-2021, 03:20 PM   #10087
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Everyone in Australia I know personally who’s been needled, has just had one dose so far. That’s probably a good reckoner.

Is this 2021’s NBN?
2 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2021, 03:53 PM   #10088
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Q4 2021 the orders MIGHT arrive.

US, UK and probably a number of other key economic juristictions around the world will probably have made substantial progress, probably enough for them to open their borders and economy up with each other.

I fear Gov here will start to feel the pressure, and with a looming election coming up too, they might take a punt and start opening up before the plebs have had their jabs.

Any chance PM can make a call to Biden for some Pfizer supply assitance? They have WAY more than they actually need. Given the economic losses recently incurred fighting some of "their" battles, I think we deserve some sort of recognition and reward .

Also, NZ ordered Pfizer for their entire population. I wonder how they are going according to their schedule.
Old 09-04-2021, 04:32 PM   #10089
leesa

Quote:
It was just announced we have secured 20m more Pfizer doses due in Q4 on top of the 20m already bought.

Excellent news.

Anyone remember the article from early on in the outbreak where oldies were saying how grateful they were to the younger generations for caring enough about their health to basically destroy the economy? The country did that. and to protect the minority of people who would have died. It'd be a pretty hard pill to swallow for the country to decide that those same younger generations were now expendable in the effort to get the population vaccinated.

Old 09-04-2021, 05:11 PM   #10090
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Q4 2021 the orders MIGHT arrive.

US, UK and probably a number of other key economic juristictions around the world will probably have made substantial progress, probably enough for them to open their borders and economy up with each other.

I fear Gov here will start to feel the pressure, and with a looming election coming up too, they might take a punt and start opening up before the plebs have had their jabs.

Any chance PM can make a call to Biden for some Pfizer supply assitance? They have WAY more than they actually need. Given the economic losses recently incurred fighting some of "their" battles, I think we deserve some sort of recognition and reward .

Also, NZ ordered Pfizer for their entire population. I wonder how they are going according to their schedule.
There is no chance of getting supply from the US at the moment but they are flying in their program so possibly may have excess supply in the next few months.

I did have this thought that perhaps we could call in a favour but I'd imagine that Canada and Mexico would be first preference since they share borders.

The only doses they have exported are AZ and that's because in all likelihood they are not going to need them.

NZ is slow too. My understanding is we are outdoing them. They need far less than we do so not directly comparable but any supply issues with them, we will likely have the same issues.
Old 09-04-2021, 05:14 PM   #10091
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Old 09-04-2021, 05:44 PM   #10092
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also, NZ ordered Pfizer for their entire population. I wonder how they are going according to their schedule.[/QUOTE]
Not many.
https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awrg...IwdDDOpV9bCmM-
3 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2021, 06:15 PM   #10093
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by five 7 View Post
You guys at least have contingency in place with 5 others, so 6 all up. And your deals cover your population 6 times over according to the article below. I would have initially said this smells a bit greedy, hoarding all the vacs, but its now looking like a good risk management move as not all "deals" will be met.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/oceania...06-p57gtz.html

"New Zealand has purchase agreements for 30.3 million doses of four different COVID-19 vaccines: Pfizer, Novavax, AstraZeneca vaccine, and the Janssen/Johnson & Johnson.

That is enough to cover the population of almost 5 million people more than six times over."
Old 09-04-2021, 06:31 PM   #10094
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You guys at least have contingency in place with 5 others, so 6 all up. And your deals cover your population 6 times over according to the article below. I would have initially said this smells a bit greedy, hoarding all the vacs, but its now looking like a good risk management move as not all "deals" will be met.

"New Zealand has purchase agreements for 30.3 million doses of four different COVID-19 vaccines: Pfizer, Novavax, AstraZeneca vaccine, and the Janssen/Johnson & Johnson.

That is enough to cover the population of almost 5 million people more than six times over."
Pretty certain we are covering the Pacific islands as well.
Old 09-04-2021, 06:55 PM   #10095
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by five 7 View Post
Pretty certain we are covering the Pacific islands as well.
One of the guys i work with told me his sister (nurse) is part of a team thats heading out to do just that, I believe the teams are training Pacific Islanders how to administer it, this was a month or so ago so she has probably already gone.

She lives in the lovely Bay of Islands.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 09-04-2021, 07:34 PM   #10096
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

We have agreements for 170m with the latest announcement but a less diverse range. So in a similar boat dose wise vs population.

The biggest difference is we are one of few countries in the world with local manufacturing though how much that is worth given the last 24hrs is yet to be seen.

I personally still think it is well worthwhile continuing with the local manufacturing in the meantime.

CSL could potentially switch to a different vaccine but there really isn't much point in doing that unless the trials are better than AZ and there has been wider vaccinations with another candidate given where we are at now.
Old 10-04-2021, 12:12 AM   #10097
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They can buy doses to do the country 100 times over, they still have to get here. When is that and how many will wait

These things will ultimately determine how quick we open up and prevent waves of infections.

My opinion is don't let perfect get in the way of good. It is cheap, has a high efficacy, can be produced here and so far the number of serious side effects are so rare. Talk to your doctor rather than just writing it off like so many are saying.

As for the <50 vs <30, my understanding is the difference is the risk vs benefit given we don't have widespread Covid infections here but depending on what happens that could change.
Yeah but you'd still be pretty annoyed if it was you aye. Or your mrs or your best mate.
Like a broken down tow truck, or a fire truck on fire, the irony of the risk vs reward debate in favour of AZ is awesome when considering the whole situation.
Old 10-04-2021, 01:18 AM   #10098
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack91 View Post
Yeah but you'd still be pretty annoyed if it was you aye. Or your mrs or your best mate.
Like a broken down tow truck, or a fire truck on fire, the irony of the risk vs reward debate in favour of AZ is awesome when considering the whole situation.
I have no issue having it or anyone I care about based on simple maths but talk to your doctor, determine your risk profile, and use that to inform your decision rather then dismissing it out of hand based on the media reports.

That is all, no one is forcing anyone to do anything.
Old 10-04-2021, 11:32 AM   #10099
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Received this in my inbox last night.

170 million doses of what seems to be a cocktail of different vaccines.
So let us have an each-way bet on everything, except Sputnik!

Australia has secured an additional 20 million doses of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine.

This adds to the 20 million doses already on order for delivery this year.

Securing the additional Pfizer vaccines means Australia will now have access to around 170 million doses of vaccine - from Pfizer, AstraZeneca, Novavax and the COVAX facility.

More than 1 million COVID-19 vaccine doses have now been administered in Australia, with 81,297 in the last 24 hours.

This includes 26,298 doses delivered by states and territories, and 54,999 delivered by the Commonwealth through GPs and aged care and disability facilities.

Based on updated medical advice received last night, the Pfizer vaccine is now the preferred vaccine for adults under the age of 50, while the AstraZeneca vaccine is recommended for those over 50.

Importantly, the medical advice remains that both vaccines are very effective in preventing severe disease caused by COVID-19.

Safety remains our top priority, as it has been throughout the pandemic, and we will continue to follow the best medical advice in protecting Australians.

Regards,

Scott Morrison
Prime Minister

Old 10-04-2021, 12:00 PM   #10100
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT April 9th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

6 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.093%.

6 new cases and 0 deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.015% and active cases 95.

The UK had a higher 3,150 cases yesterday and 80 deaths. In another rework of historical data they have removed 8,010 cases from the overall total based on them having negative second PCR tests.

Just over 80k new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,063 deaths sees CMR at 1.809%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 135M, the last 1M in 1 day;

Chile (8,246 yesterday / 9,151 today) - the previous high on 8/6/20; and
India (144,829)
... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

No countries move above the 90th percentile for their 10 day average and none drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2021, 01:35 PM   #10101
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack91 View Post
Yeah but you'd still be pretty annoyed if it was you aye.
Hard to be annoyed., when you are dead. 😕
Old 11-04-2021, 01:08 PM   #10102
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT April 10th, 2021.

8 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.092%.

10 new cases and 0 deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.011% and active cases 105.

The UK had a lower 2,584 cases yesterday and 20 deaths.

Just under 86k new cases in the USA yesterday and 942 deaths sees CMR at 1.808%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points: (weekend reporting)
South America sets a new daily high of 158,559 cases (9/4);
Asia sets a new daily high of 292,807 cases (9/4);

Timor-Leste (70);
Bermuda (116);
Kazakhstan (2,734);
Uruguay (7,289) on 9/4;
and
India (152,682)

No countries move above the 90th percentile for their 10 day average while Italy, Austria, Serbia and the Netherlands drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2021, 08:14 PM   #10103
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2021, 08:47 PM   #10104
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Vaccine targets dumped: Morrison concedes all Australians may not be vaccinated by end of the year

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has abandoned setting targets for Australia’s vaccine rollout and conceded for the first time that not all Australians will get their first dose of a coronavirus jab by the end of the year, even though the government has doubled its order of Pfizer’s vaccine.

However, later on Sunday Mr Morrison posted on Facebook saying his government had “not set, nor has any plans to set any new targets for completing first doses”.

The government had previously promised every eligible Australian would be vaccinated against COVID-19 by October - meaning the timeline has now been delayed by at least three months.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fede...11-p57i9m.html

Old 11-04-2021, 08:58 PM   #10105
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

So, what are the more-or-less-unwanted doses of Astra-Zeneca doing now? Are they going to be offered, or destroyed, or foist on some third-world island nation in an echo of patronising colonialism?
Old 11-04-2021, 09:17 PM   #10106
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Flu season is almost upon us.

Interesting times ahead. Especially for the colder southern states.
Old 11-04-2021, 09:28 PM   #10107
zilo
BANNED

Think I will wait for the Sputnik vaccine.

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
2 users like this post:
Old 12-04-2021, 12:14 PM   #10108
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT April 11th, 2021.

6 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.092%.

3 new cases and 0 deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.010% and active cases 108.

The UK had a lower 1,730 cases yesterday and 7 deaths - they lifted a number of restrictions so it will be worth watching what happens.

Just over 67k new cases in the USA yesterday and 700 deaths sees CMR at 1.806%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points: (weekend reporting)
Global cases pass 136M, the last 1M in 2 days;
Asia passes 31M cases;
France passes 5M cases;
Germany passes 3M cases;
Africa & Europe drop below the 90th percentile for their 10 day average;
Asia sets a new daily high of 308,998 cases;

Mongolia (831);
Thailand (967);
Kazakhstan (2,842);and
India (169,689) - for the 6th consecutive day

The Netherlands move above the 90th percentile for their 10 day average and Moldova drops below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 12-04-2021, 12:53 PM   #10109
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Hey Russ,
Any analysis on Israel with their vaccination program vs number of infections?
Old 12-04-2021, 01:03 PM   #10110
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Just about every second Israeli has been fully jabbed, and they are now dosing the Palestinian workers. There’s speculation they’re approaching the concept of “herd immunity”. Total infections appear to be near a plateau, and daily case rate has plummeted.
Closed Thread