Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-04-2021, 02:39 PM   #121
FuriousFord
FrustratedAUII

Default Re: 2001 AUII ute immobilizer problems

Charged battery last night and after performing another diagnostic test today using FORScan the results were the same as the last diag test on the picture I uploaded yesterday. Results identified the same issue with DTC (PCM-P0443). Does this mean I need to do a parameter reset on the PCM? If so, do I need two keys to perform the reset or can I just use the one and only key I have?

Like I stated previously, I am no auto-electrician/technician so I am depending on you guys to assist with determining what needs to be done to make sense from the FORScan results.
FuriousFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2021, 11:25 AM   #122
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Clear fault codes

Carry out parameter reset as you already have a previously programmed key.

Note that this is to link the engine computer to the body computer and is assuming your key is already programmed to body computer and working correctly but can sometimes fix a unexpected loss of communication.

Rescan for codes again.
Unless shorting evap normally doesn’t stop you starting

2 keys will be necessary if you decide to replace the body computer as they then need to be programmed to the replacement body computer followed by a parameter reset again to link it to the engine computer

Test for power at fuse 11 at both ends by earthing your test light wire and touching other end of test light on each end of fuse
? Have you had dash out while checking tail lights

When you turn ignition switch to the reds is the smart shield light flashing fast
11ford11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2021, 11:58 AM   #123
FuriousFord
FrustratedAUII

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11ford11 View Post
Clear fault codes

Carry out parameter reset as you already have a previously programmed key.

Note that this is to link the engine computer to the body computer and is assuming your key is already programmed to body computer and working correctly but can sometimes fix a unexpected loss of communication.

Rescan for codes again.
Unless shorting evap normally doesn’t stop you starting

2 keys will be necessary if you decide to replace the body computer as they then need to be programmed to the replacement body computer followed by a parameter reset again to link it to the engine computer

Test for power at fuse 11 at both ends by earthing your test light wire and touching other end of test light on each end of fuse
? Have you had dash out while checking tail lights

When you turn ignition switch to the reds is the smart shield light flashing fast
Thanks for the reply. Smart shield light is flashing fast. Have tested fuse 11 with test light and fuse tester and power supply is positive. Dash has never been removed.

Still trying to familiarize myself with FORScan app, so not sure how to clear codes and perform parameter reset. In performing a parameter reset, does that reset the BEM or the PCM? Does the AU also have a BCM?
Old 24-04-2021, 01:00 PM   #124
FuriousFord
FrustratedAUII

Does anybody know how to reset the parameters using the FORScan app and OBDLink EX scantool??? I cannot find the instructional procedure anywhere online including the FORScan forum.
Old 24-04-2021, 04:25 PM   #125
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousFord View Post
Thanks for the reply. Smart shield light is flashing fast. Have tested fuse 11 with test light and fuse tester and power supply is positive. Dash has never been removed.

Still trying to familiarize myself with FORScan app, so not sure how to clear codes and perform parameter reset. In performing a parameter reset, does that reset the BEM or the PCM? Does the AU also have a BCM?
parameter reset is to link both computers doesn't reset either

iirc. au has different bem to au2 depending on year etc.

borrow someone remote and program to your car in case you have a alarm hidden somewhere - will still work ok in there car after
Old 24-04-2021, 06:07 PM   #126
FuriousFord
FrustratedAUII

Quote:
parameter reset is to link both computers doesn't reset either

iirc. au has different bem to au2 depending on year etc.

borrow someone remote and program to your car in case you have a alarm hidden somewhere - will still work ok in there car after
Sorry, but I'm having trouble understanding your reply. What is iirc???

I'm out West QLD in a small community and I'm the only person with an AUII ute, so won't be able to borrow any remote. My AUII has build date JUL01.

I did buy another blank key and remote from Ebay, but the key still needs to be cut when I'm in Rockhampton again.
Old 24-04-2021, 06:45 PM   #127
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Clear the fault code and then remove the fuel cap and see if you still get the fault code with the cap left off. The cap has a one way vent valve that allow air in but no fuel or fumes out (preventing vapour hydrocarbon emissions and reducing the risk of a fire in a rollover or a collision that crushes or dents the tank). It it fails so air cannot get in it will both stop the evap system working correctly (as it won't be able to draw vapours out of the tank and the solenoid won't be able overcome the vacuum in the tank and open) giving an evap fault code and stop the ute starting (as the pump won't be able to overcome the resultant vacuum in what is now a totally sealed tank). The pump will also try and draw air out of the evap line via the vapour separator and carbon canister (opposite direction to normal engine vacuum drawn flow) often eventually killing the solenoid valve or in rare cases even partially collapsing the carbon canister. Probably worth visually checking the carbon canister which is behind splash shield in front of the passengers; side front wheel especially if removing the fuel cap gives a result.

Last edited by aussiblue; 24-04-2021 at 07:08 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2021, 07:08 PM   #128
FuriousFord
FrustratedAUII

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Clear the fault code and then remove the fuel cap and see if you still get the fault code with the cap left off. The cap has a one way vent valve that allow air in but no fuel or fumes out. It it fails so air cannot get in it will both stop the evap system working correctly (as it won't be able to draw vapours out of the tank and the solenoid won't be able overcome the vacuum in the tank and open) giving an evap fault code and stop the ute starting (as the pump won't be able to overcome the resultant vacuum in what is now a totally sealed tank).
So how do I clear the fault codes? Do I run another diag test, then clear the fault codes before running another diag test whilst the scantool is still connected?
Old 24-04-2021, 07:14 PM   #129
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
So how do I clear the fault codes?
Around 3 minute mark.

Also:
https://forscan.org/documentation_13.html
"Using the modules menu at near "Reset DTC" button you can select the modules you want to reset in DTC: All modules or some specficic one. "

and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWp5QqzuuTk&t=527s
Old 24-04-2021, 07:39 PM   #130
FuriousFord
FrustratedAUII

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Around 3 minute mark.

Also:
https://forscan.org/documentation_13.html
"Using the modules menu at near "Reset DTC" button you can select the modules you want to reset in DTC: All modules or some specficic one. "

and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWp5QqzuuTk&t=527s
I performed another test then cleared the fault code by 'Reset DTC', removed fuel cap then performed another test. The same PCM fault code come up again with the fuel cap off.

However, each subsequent test I have run since the initial test has less IC & RCM fault codes but the PCM still remains the same.
Old 24-04-2021, 07:44 PM   #131
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. Stop playing with the cannon and go back under the dash and find what you broke while tidying up the wiring there. Have a read of the right section of the workshop manual and finish your diagnostic work first ( http://fordforums.com.au/wsmpub/augx/Part%2015-8.html ) Now that you have power to the fuse box you need to make sure that you have that power getting to the BEM as well as the earths and that all the plugs are fully seated as well as checking the wiring to the TILA around the key barrel in the steering column, this may be at the TILA or at one of the plugs where the wiring meets the column under the dash. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-04-2021, 07:58 PM   #132
FuriousFord
FrustratedAUII

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot3 View Post
Hi. Stop playing with the cannon and go back under the dash and find what you broke while tidying up the wiring there. Have a read of the right section of the workshop manual and finish your diagnostic work first ( http://fordforums.com.au/wsmpub/augx/Part%2015-8.html ) Now that you have power to the fuse box you need to make sure that you have that power getting to the BEM as well as the earths and that all the plugs are fully seated as well as checking the wiring to the TILA around the key barrel in the steering column, this may be at the TILA or at one of the plugs where the wiring meets the column under the dash. Cheers MD
Will now check power to BEM using workshop manual, but have already checked BEM plugs to make sure they are fully seated. Also checked wiring to TILA and disconnected and reconnected plug about 40cm away from TILA. Never removed TILA, but did check wiring.
Old 24-04-2021, 09:51 PM   #133
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’m tipping corroded wiring on the passenger side.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2021, 10:23 PM   #134
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I’m tipping corroded wiring on the passenger side.
Hi. Going by the symptoms on the first page after work was done under the dash to fix the lights and reading the workshop manual section on the BEM the 3 starts followed by the engine stalling after a few seconds and then nothing indicates either a failure of the TILA to read the chip in the ignition key ( faulty wiring. faulty key reader, faulty key (it still has its chip in it?) or wrong key (not the key from the other ute) ) or failure of the BEM itself (which is why we need to check for power to and earth to the BEM and power from the BEM to see why interior light isn't working for one thing as a guide for what may be wrong). After this it may be a case of getting 2 unique keys made (NOT clones) and having them matched to the BEM. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
Old 25-04-2021, 09:20 AM   #135
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Iirc = if I remember correctly
Au became smart shield after 6-99 before that it was smart lock which is a different system ie can’t use the bem

Did you program remote to your vehicle and try it- reason for this is only incase vehicle has a aftermarket alarm or immobiliser hidden somewhere that activated when you disconnected battery

You are not going to start vehicle while smart shield light is flashing- should turn off when ignition is turned on - as mentioned it has a chip in key and key reader around where key goes in - also as mentioned make sure you haven’t mixed up keys from other vehicle
Smart shield key will have a slot where key ring goes half way across if genuine key

Have you carried out a parameter reset yet ?

What was actually wrong with tail lights ?

Don’t use forscan myself but does it show any other codes in the pcm ?

Do you have power at the green with yellow wire at the interior light?

Last edited by 11ford11; 25-04-2021 at 09:32 AM.
Old 25-04-2021, 09:28 AM   #136
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

My first round of no-start issues (significant corrosion in the PCM header pins) was intermittent before total failure.

The second round of no-start issues was corrosion in the multi-way connector under the glovebox.

Both were caused by leaks at the nearside top of the windscreen.

Hence I suggest physical inspection of both the plug under the glovebox and the PCM header plug.

Verdigris incidentally highlights the corroded pins.

Last edited by Citroënbender; 25-04-2021 at 09:37 AM.
Old 25-04-2021, 10:35 AM   #137
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
My first round of no-start issues (significant corrosion in the PCM header pins) was intermittent before total failure.

The second round of no-start issues was corrosion in the multi-way connector under the glovebox.

Both were caused by leaks at the nearside top of the windscreen.

Hence I suggest physical inspection of both the plug under the glovebox and the PCM header plug.

Verdigris incidentally highlights the corroded pins.
Hi. Not saying there isnt a problem over on that side of the dash BUT lets fix the problems on the drivers side and get the immobiliser light going off and the interior light coming on and then see what happens. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

Old 25-04-2021, 11:31 AM   #138
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

That connector affects dialogue with the PCM (including immobilisation), it bridges to the PCM and engine harness - hence why I suggested checking it.
Old 30-04-2021, 02:42 PM   #139
FuriousFord
FrustratedAUII

Sorry guys, but I had to take an unexpected trip and have now returned. Still not getting anywhere with this bloody ute, so I'm clueless as to what the problem is. I have followed advice/instructions and don't seem to be getting anywhere.

How do check if I am getting power to the BEM? Which coloured wire/s is/are positive to the the BEM? What is A12?
After switching over the interior fuse panels again, I am still getting the same DTC's for the PCM (as pictured).

By the way, thanks for all previous comments and suggestions from you guys regarding this nightmare. Much appreciated!!!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2021-04-30 130912.png (101.0 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by FuriousFord; 30-04-2021 at 02:51 PM.
Old 30-04-2021, 05:42 PM   #140
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Have you checked those connectors I mentioned?
Old 01-05-2021, 09:33 AM   #141
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you done a parameter reset yet
Old 01-05-2021, 01:00 PM   #142
FuriousFord
FrustratedAUII

Yeah checked chose connectors Citroënbender and there's no corrosion evident. Only some residual dust (pins are clean though), but gave it a light blow with air gun before reconnecting.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:03 PM   #143
FuriousFord
FrustratedAUII

Quote:
Have you done a parameter reset yet
Nah bloke I still haven't done a parameter reset, which is why I asked earlier on how to do it.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:13 PM   #144
FuriousFord
FrustratedAUII

What would happen if I left the keys in the on position whilst trying to remove the rear demister relay from the interior fuse panel, cause I'm quite sure that's what happened before the smartshield kicked in? I recall seeing the rear demister light on the dash light a couple of times whilst trying to remove the relay. Would that affect the BEM or PCM or both???
Old 01-05-2021, 09:39 PM   #145
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

What’s puzzling me is your fault codes are typical of restricted/poor dialogue between the PCM and BEM. The theft detection one is a good example, it can be generated by (for example) having the car on reds and key reader not talking, then bridging the starter relay.

Is the block connector to the engine harness, near the washer bottle, fully seated home?
Old 02-05-2021, 10:43 AM   #146
FuriousFord
FrustratedAUII

Yes the block connector is fully seated and I have never touched the connector either before or after the smartshield had activated.

Last edited by FuriousFord; 02-05-2021 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:46 AM   #147
FuriousFord
FrustratedAUII

Can I do a parameter reset with only one key and no remote??? If so, how do I perform a parameter reset???
Old 02-05-2021, 01:28 PM   #148
undertow

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: AU Aux input HOW TO. 

Service (spanner icon) in forscan -> PATS programming.
https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=836

The software will walk you through the steps

You do need two different transponder keys to perform a PATS reset/paramter reset. You can use the uncut blank as a second key, but it is fiddly. When the software asks for the second key, wrap tin foil around the first key's head and hold the second key head up next to the first key. This blocks the first key's transponder signal so the car will see the second key.
undertow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2021, 02:26 PM   #149
FuriousFord
FrustratedAUII

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertow View Post
Service (spanner icon) in forscan -> PATS programming.
https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=836

The software will walk you through the steps

You do need two different transponder keys to perform a PATS reset/parameter reset. You can use the uncut blank as a second key, but it is fiddly. When the software asks for the second key, wrap tin foil around the first key's head and hold the second key head up next to the first key. This blocks the first key's transponder signal so the car will see the second key.
Thank you for confirming the reset procedure using PATS programming on the FORScan app.

Firstly, initially I only had one key so I ordered another blank one and remote from Ebay. The second key still needs to be cut, but won't happen until I'm in town again as we got no services like that out bush.

The next issue is that the PATS programming option is not displayed/available after I run a diagnostic test using FORScan. The only FORScan option available in Services Procedure (spanner icon) is PCM (Reset all adaptions). No other modules are displayed.

However, when I reinstalled the interior fuse panel from the AUI ute I have here and ran the diagnostics on that ute, the PATS Programming module and ABS Service Bleed module where available (including PCM (Reset all adaptions)). So I don't understand why PATS Programming option is not available when running diagnostics on my AUII ute. The ABS Bleed module comes up because the AUI ute has ABS and the AUII ute doesn't.

Given the above, I now need to know why the PATS Programming service module is not displayed/available when I run diagnostics using FORScan!!!

Last edited by FuriousFord; 02-05-2021 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-05-2021, 07:25 PM   #150
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I think we are getting closer. There seems to be a dialogue problem.

If you can “see” the BEM in ForScan try some actuator tests, from memory there is a menu of functions you can drive from the tester.