Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-10-2007, 09:55 PM   #1
caspkeeley
Starter Motor

Default Changing Headlight globes on AU

Hi people,

I need to change the globes on my front headlights and have never done this before. I had a look but wasn't sure if i need to take the whole headlight out and unscrew all the screws or if i could pop the front of the light casing off and change the bulb from the front. If anyone could let me know the best way to go about it would be greatly appreciated.

caspkeeley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2007, 10:04 PM   #2
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you do it from behind you either need small hands ot take out the air box or battery depending on side undo the cover and change globe. the front is not removable
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2007, 10:58 PM   #3
FC:LTD

u need to remove the rubber boot undo the clip and the globe pops out, very hard to see in there tho. easy enough to undo but a bit harder to put back airbox side easier but would take the battery out on drivers side
FC:LTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2007, 12:06 AM   #4
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Yeah, you gotta pop the bonnet and do it from the back

There is a little plug like thing you gotta disconnect and then pull out the globe.. For some reason it's hard to explain, but when you do it once, it's easy to remember

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2007, 12:14 AM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

It is a right bastard of a job to do on an XR model too. I managed to do it without moving the battery or airbox, but there were a lot of f words involved.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:11 AM   #6
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

i hate doing it ... i change my globes all the time ... i drive down to the workshop and get one of the boys too do it ... me and my dad were at it for 2hours and couldn't get it back in ... they use some extra large tweesers!!
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2007, 09:25 AM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I need to replace the globe in the driver's side on mine ... I have done it that many times though .... I am used to it.

No need to remove the airbox or battery though ... patience helps ... and a decent light as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2007, 04:09 PM   #8
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
I need to replace the globe in the driver's side on mine ... I have done it that many times though .... I am used to it.

No need to remove the airbox or battery though ... patience helps ... and a decent light as well.
how or what do you use to clip them back in?
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 05-10-2007, 04:11 PM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Not sure what you mean ... there's a clip on the back of the light the swings on a hinge ... I just pop it back in with my fingers and wait for it to click in (can hear and feel it lock in)

I found a spare Plus 50 in my centre console still in it's blister pack ... so will put that in in my break in the dark underground carpark ... using the light on my phone.

Has been annoying driving home with one headlight only.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2007, 04:16 PM   #10
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

oooh, thats how we got it out, on one hinge .. we thought that it popped all the way out .... .well that makes it MUCH easier knowing that ... cheers, will have to go and take out my police LED's now and replace them with normal globes before i get defected
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 05-10-2007, 06:09 PM   #11
ayeyew
Teh Baest

The plugs can be bastards to get out..

I changed mine earlier on today.

You gotta pop the hood and look behind the lights and you will see two black circular rubber things with a single plug in each and this plug has 2 or 3 leads coming out of them.. The big circular rubber thing is for the main headlight (low beam) and the smaller one is for the high beam.

Best way i found to do it is grab the plug from the sides, cuz it's got flap kinda things u need to push in in order to get the plug off (this can take 5 seconds or 5 minutes depending on how nice it wants to be on the day)

Once u have unplugged the bulb, the plug will just sit there and you need to get the circular rubber doolie off, so just pull that off carefully (might be some resistance to pulling it off, if there is don't worry.. just continue to pull it off), make sure u dont take the lightbulb with it

The reason why there may have been some resistance to pulling off the rubber thing is due to the wire clip which keaps the bulb in place. Looking into the engine, the wire clip is on the top left hand side, so just grab the clip, lift it up and it will now be loose.

Take the bulb out, replace it and then do it all in reverse

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #12
hortiboi
Starter Motor

Default Re: Changing Headlight globes on AU

I have a question. Does the bulb just pull out, or do you have to push the tabs on the sides of the wiring harness in?
hortiboi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #13
BHDOGS
Banned

Yeh push the tabs in and pull the wiring harness of
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2012, 05:56 PM   #14
hortiboi
Starter Motor

Thanks...it's bloody tricky...but I'm being lazy and trying to avoid pulling the battery out.
hortiboi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2021, 08:15 PM   #15
dovo
Starter Motor

Made a quick video on how to remove the connector clip, just because I had so much trouble in the past (including breaking the globe mount away from the Headlight :(. Its easy to do right once you see where the clips actually are. https://youtu.be/xoQKNUFAz4Y
dovo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: