Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-12-2008, 10:29 PM   #1
kiwikid10
WHAP!!! POW!!! ZORK!!!

Default Idle and surging issue.

Hi there,

My AU has started to idle a little rough and not perform as normal.
that is when i accelerated, the car was really sluggish until 3500 RPM then bang took off.

So I booked it in for a service, and noticed that it got worse by the day.
checking the forums last night I decided to try the ECU reset, but no joy.

So during it's service i had the fuel filter replaced and asked for the spark plugs to be checked etc, I remembered the injectors but forgot to mention it to them.

My mechanic said the fuel filter was rotten, I figured that i got a bad batch of fuel, as I had a temporary surge problem but it went away after the next fill. The good blokes at my local ford dealer had done a spectacular effort and only changed 4 of the 8 spark plugs at the 100K service :, (1 bank was platinum 1 bank was off the shelf c**p) so i now have Platinum plugs thanks to my real mechanic.

Problems is it is now idling worse than before and the power loss is really noticable along with the surge, my mechanic ran out of time to diagnose what the problem was today, but before i take it back any suggestions.
i am thinking injectors, note: i only run 98 RON and only from Mobil, Caltex and Shell.

Your help in this issue would be appreciated guys.

Bodykit: Havoc
Wheels:XR8 AUII 17's
Interior: upgraded to Ghia,rebolstered seats.
Have parts just need fitting: Territory front brakes, Police issue rear brakes,Full sound system,Alpine HU/Processors,Focal speakers,Xtant amps.
kiwikid10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2008, 10:46 PM   #2
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Really shouldn't be running 98ron unless it's tuned for it, the reason being is that the ignition timing on 98ron differs greatly, along with required engine compression, after continued use it could burn your valves (worst case). i experienced the same issue (only whilst turning it over), went back to 91ron not a drama after that. And Caltex is by far the WORST fuel i've put in a falcon, rough as guts like it's full of water.

But if you don't think it's a fuel issue, then maybe try looking at your throttle body/air intake, could be dirty.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2008, 12:47 AM   #3
kiwikid10
WHAP!!! POW!!! ZORK!!!

I have a capa flash tuner and was running the 98 tune.

Mainly use Mobil, and the throttle body was cleaned as part of the service.
Have parts just need fitting: Territory front brakes, Police issue rear brakes,Full sound system,Alpine HU/Processors,Focal speakers,Xtant amps.
Old 18-12-2008, 08:46 AM   #4
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Oxy sensor maybe? TPS? ISC?

I have no idea what those 3 things do, but i remember them always coming up in discussing stalling issues?

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2008, 11:12 PM   #5
EvilChief
Boost Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHaveIgnition
Really shouldn't be running 98ron unless it's tuned for it, the reason being is that the ignition timing on 98ron differs greatly, along with required engine compression, after continued use it could burn your valves (worst case). i experienced the same issue (only whilst turning it over), went back to 91ron not a drama after that. And Caltex is by far the WORST fuel i've put in a falcon, rough as guts like it's full of water.

But if you don't think it's a fuel issue, then maybe try looking at your throttle body/air intake, could be dirty.

WTF comes to mind ... but anyway

if its a 6cyl, 3500rpm is where the BBM manifold opens up secondary runners. when i turbocharged my old falcon is took the butterflys out and it was very dull until it hit 3500, where the butterflys would open up. so i would have a quick squizz if the actuators operates at the threshold.

cheers
mic
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2008, 12:11 AM   #6
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilChief
WTF comes to mind ... but anyway
Sorry, I'll be sure to just stfu in future.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2008, 09:17 AM   #7
EvilChief
Boost Addict

caltex vortex is the worst 98 ron fuel on the market. the ecus are adaptive to learn for new fuels, especially higher ron fuels. the ignition time tables are used as a base figure, however from there the ecu can davance the timing further until the knock sensor detect knock and back it off. that exact progress is called the adaptive learning progress. So either you havent given ur ecu time to learn this very progress or u just got fuel. engine compression would increase the benefits of 98 but not neccessary. burnt valves, havent seen that happen since cars with heads for leaded fuels, these days we have hardened seats and valves.
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2008, 10:06 AM   #8
kiwikid10
WHAP!!! POW!!! ZORK!!!

Problem solved, in the new set of spark plugs one had a hairline crack and was discharging through the block so the car was only running on 7 cylinders at idle, and that also caused the surging.
Old 21-04-2021, 10:46 PM   #9
Lou Snut
Starter Motor

Default Re: Idle and surging issue.

BF2 fairmont on straight LPG here

Jeeze i've had the erratic idle and surging on cruise control problem for a couple of years now, reading threads like this turned out to be useless, tried the oxygen sensor, changed plugs and coil packs, sometimes it would fix for a day or two then slowly back again.

pulling the battery lead off and reseting the ECU seems to have fixed.

do a search on ECU reset for falcons, there's a little process you go through when you start it again, but now works absolutely fine, and has more power too.

just posting here because when i google the problem, erratic idle and surging, this is where it led me, and , no offence, all advice was useless.

the ECU reset seems to be something people either know about, or dont, so I hope this post can help someone suffering similar issues in the future
Lou Snut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-04-2021, 02:56 PM   #10
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Idle and surging issue.

Check the last post date but advice is always welcome
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...

Last edited by Uncle_Ken; 22-04-2021 at 03:02 PM.
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post