Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 19-04-2021, 04:59 PM   #10201
tweeked
N/A all the way

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
But you need to factor in the chances of actually catching covid in australia.
The deaths against the whole population already takes that into account.

Old 19-04-2021, 06:21 PM   #10202
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Those who don't elect to get vaccinated are going to get it eventually and every year until it kills them. I wonder if they understand this?
I wonder....

Will they impose penalties such as 'no jab, no pay' or the like?

Will they ever be able to travel outside of Australia?

Who will foot the bill if they fall gravely ill?

I was going to delay applying for the vaccination until more in need got it, however if it means I can travel sooner I would be more motivated to get it sooner.

I think if more bubbles are announced with the pre-requisite of getting vaccinated there will be a surge in people wanting the shot.

These mass vaccination hubs can't come soon enough.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 20-04-2021, 08:34 AM   #10203
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Those who don't elect to get vaccinated are going to get it eventually and every year until it kills them. I wonder if they understand this?
I think the 98% of people who get it and survive are effectively vaccinated as well as anyone who gets the shot. It is just the shot is way more survivable than the disease, this is this part that makes them look a bit silly.

Old 20-04-2021, 12:07 PM   #10204
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
I think the 98% of people who get it and survive are effectively vaccinated as well as anyone who gets the shot. It is just the shot is way more survivable than the disease, this is this part that makes them look a bit silly.
But immunity will wear off both with the vaccine and from getting it. Like the Flu.

So you either get vaccinated yearly like the Flu shot or you get infected like the flu. Time till tell how bad that will be.... but one thing is for sure, covid will eventually become common in Australia. The borders and quarantine have just bought us time to get things in order first
Old 20-04-2021, 12:17 PM   #10205
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT April 19th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

18 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.082%.

1 new case and 0 deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.002% and active cases 102.

The UK had a higher 2,963 cases yesterday and 4 deaths.

Just under 60k new cases in the USA yesterday and 329 deaths sees CMR at 1.792%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 142M, the last 1M in 2 days;
Asia passes 34M cases;

Only -
Cambodia (624) ... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

No countries move above the 90th percentile for their 10 day average and none drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 20-04-2021, 08:29 PM   #10206
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Bunnings vaccines... you get what you pay for. Think about it next time you’re worried about what we are getting served up in Australia.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/19/covi...e-rollout.html
This user likes this post:
Old 20-04-2021, 08:52 PM   #10207
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’m gobsmacked at the idea our Government has personal authority over Australians outside our country.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/ne...0-2f8ab7d02bf3
2 users like this post:
Old 20-04-2021, 09:00 PM   #10208
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
bwah

your not my real dad
3 users like this post:
Old 20-04-2021, 09:16 PM   #10209
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I’m gobsmacked at the idea our Government has personal authority over Australians outside our country.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/ne...0-2f8ab7d02bf3
I'm not gobsmacked at all! if state governments can issues laws and fines during this pandemic then why can't the Feds...........

Hit them hard and lock them up.
Old 20-04-2021, 10:08 PM   #10210
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Bunnings vaccines... you get what you pay for. Think about it next time you’re worried about what we are getting served up in Australia.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/19/covi...e-rollout.html
Move over Bunnings, Mitre 10 is back in town...

Russia, Hualan Biological Bacterin agree on production of Sputnik V in China

https://www.reuters.com/business/hea...na-2021-04-19/

The UK found that mixing AZ and Sputnik gave it super powers, I wonder when that will become the norm.
Old 20-04-2021, 10:53 PM   #10211
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm 43, I look like I'm 30, I feel 25, and just a few kilo's shy of my weight when I trained at Jack Rennie's starting from an 18 year old.

Zero sugar, Zero fruit, Zero processed grains.

I've been sick once in the last 15 years, and I don't get the flue-shot - copt a flu on Bathurst weekend which I kicked in 3 days. From memory it was the year frosty won.

Now you give me one valid reason why I should get the vaccine.

And when I say valid reason I mean fact-related, and emotionally free.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2021, 12:25 AM   #10212
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
... 98% ...
So Given that there are many people that have had it, over more than a year now, it is very interesting that re-infection figures are not well known.
The above guess 2% is common, additionally people who watch CNN would hear that reinfection is so much worse than the first.

But what are the figures ?
32.5 million cases worldwide
71 confirmed reinfections 2 confirmed deaths
This makes the likelihood of death from reinfection worse than first infections, but 71 in 32.5 million is very low indeed (2 in a million)

Suspected, unconfirmed reinfections are noticeably worse than confirmed - but indicates a much more survivable situation
34,407 leading to 38 deaths
So worst case it is about a 1:1,000 chance of reinfection, and then another 1:1,000 chance of death

For context I read somewhere that 1:1,000,000 was about the chance of death resulting from a weekend ski holiday

(the only worldwide, daily updated, reinfection figures I could easily find:
https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/0...ction-tracker/ )
Old 21-04-2021, 08:27 AM   #10213
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As far as I'm aware, none of the current vaccines stops you from catching CV19. It just reduces your chance of getting symptoms / severe symptoms, which then hopefully reduces you coughing and splattering everywhere or going to hospital, which then hopefully stops you from passing it on to those who haven't or can't get vaccinated. So if you are not getting symptoms then you are probably not going to get tested, and any reinfections will probably not be captured.

I'd be keen to know if ANY of these vaccines, even the ones with 50% efficacy, are still seeing people going into ICU. Yearly flu shots have a 50-60% efficacy, and it works.

Mum had the AZ on the weekend. First night she felt like she was burning up, but had no fever, but also had no sleep. She has auto immune disease so the we figured the benefit of getting AZ outweighs the risk of catching CV. Basically if she catches CV she would be toast.

Also, for what its worth, I'm 41, look 25, act like 18, love my zinger stacks, Nandos, souvalakis, fish and chips. Have not had a flu shot since 2008, have hung around some pretty dingey places, and have not had the flu since....I can't remember when. Not sure what conclusion to draw from that.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2021, 10:13 AM   #10214
HIPO
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
So Given that there are many people that have had it, over more than a year now, it is very interesting that re-infection figures are not well known.
The above guess 2% is common, additionally people who watch CNN would hear that reinfection is so much worse than the first.

But what are the figures ?
32.5 million cases worldwide
71 confirmed reinfections 2 confirmed deaths
This makes the likelihood of death from reinfection worse than first infections, but 71 in 32.5 million is very low indeed (2 in a million)

Suspected, unconfirmed reinfections are noticeably worse than confirmed - but indicates a much more survivable situation
34,407 leading to 38 deaths
So worst case it is about a 1:1,000 chance of reinfection, and then another 1:1,000 chance of death

For context I read somewhere that 1:1,000,000 was about the chance of death resulting from a weekend ski holiday

(the only worldwide, daily updated, reinfection figures I could easily find:
https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/0...ction-tracker/ )
Everything on CNN much worse!
Old 21-04-2021, 10:39 AM   #10215
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post

There are still thin people who had mild covid and ended up with neurological problems, as the main target in their infection was the brain as opposed to the lungs.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...covid-symptoms

Long covid has also affected people with mild symptoms
https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/cli...lf-of-all-case

Quote:
However, both Associate Professor Vally and Dr Hyde say that even those with mild acute illness with COVID-19 can experience long COVID, including children.

‘Anyone who is infected is at risk [of long COVID], irrespective of the severity of the initial infection,’ Dr Hyde said.

‘The majority of people affected by long COVID were previously healthy, many are relatively young, and most had only mild disease initially. This means we need to urgently re-think who the “at-risk” groups are.

‘Although older people have the highest mortality risk, everyone seems to be at risk of developing long COVID.’

2 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2021, 12:10 PM   #10216
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Reports that someone has developed blood clots in Brisbane days after Pfizer vaccine. No link confirmed yet.
Old 21-04-2021, 12:34 PM   #10217
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT April 20th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

28 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.079%.

1 new case and 0 deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.001% and active cases 86.

The UK had a lower 2,524 cases yesterday and 33 deaths.

Just under 55k new cases in the USA yesterday and 493 deaths sees CMR at 1.791%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 143M, the last 1M in 1 day;
Global deaths pass 3.05M, the last 50k in 4 days;
Asia sets a new daily high of 446,237 cases;
Europe passes 43M cases;
Brazil passes 14M cases;

Only -
Cyprus (941); and
India (294,290)

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

No countries move above the 90th percentile for their 10 day average and none drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2021, 12:59 PM   #10218
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
I'm 43, I look like I'm 30, I feel 25, and just a few kilo's shy of my weight when I trained at Jack Rennie's starting from an 18 year old.

I've been sick once in the last 15 years, and I don't get the flue-shot - copt a flu on Bathurst weekend which I kicked in 3 days. From memory it was the year frosty won.

Don't get one if you don't want it.

Just accept that there are things you may not be able to do in the future. Like visit a sick relative in a nursing home, or fly internationally .... or other things like that.

But if you don't feel you need one and don't interact with people that may be susceptible to it, then you are fine not to get it.
Old 21-04-2021, 01:35 PM   #10219
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Don't get one if you don't want it.

Just accept that there are things you may not be able to do in the future. Like visit a sick relative in a nursing home, or fly internationally .... or other things like that.

But if you don't feel you need one and don't interact with people that may be susceptible to it, then you are fine not to get it.
Might be to busy with the gym and a mirror while looking for youtube links?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2021, 01:53 PM   #10220
Ojay
Starter Motor

Hi there ! Has anyone got some information regarding arrival date of the Ford Everest Basecamp model in Australia?
I bought and signed the contract in March but the dealer can’t tell me when the car is arriving in Australia. I contacted Ford Australia and they can’t help me either ?!
Old 21-04-2021, 02:01 PM   #10221
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

As far as I’m concerned your,I’m alright, stuff the rest of you attitude doesn’t really wash with the biggest proportion of the general public
Old 21-04-2021, 02:06 PM   #10222
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojay View Post
Hi there ! Has anyone got some information regarding arrival date of the Ford Everest Basecamp model in Australia?
I bought and signed the contract in March but the dealer can’t tell me when the car is arriving in Australia. I contacted Ford Australia and they can’t help me either ?!
I think you want the Everest Forum over here..........https://www.fordforums.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=394
Old 21-04-2021, 02:18 PM   #10223
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:

Because you wont always stay 43

The people around you are not as strong

And mainly the exact thing I wrote - that is that the facts indisputably prove that having the shot is vastly safer than the lotto chance of a side effect, even though your emotional reasons say that it is not a good idea.

That is 3, but having said that, I support absolutely that it is your decision.

2 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2021, 02:40 PM   #10224
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

I was reasonably fit once with no health issues and thought I was invincible but hey do what you want as no one is forcing you but remember this being mortal you will drop dead one day regardless what you think.
3 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2021, 05:29 PM   #10225
hayseed

Quote:

Zero Fruit Surprises Me.. !!

What Do you Eat If you Don't mind me asking..?
Old 21-04-2021, 05:53 PM   #10226
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

I've been infected by the rhinovirus. But the company told me I need to get a coronavirus test. That was an unpleasant experience. First they swabbed the back of my throat which made the vomit reflex almost kick in. Then they went into both nostrils one at a time until it felt like they were touching my brain.

Test was negative - AS EXPECTED!

To quote a famous Greek - "it's bullshyte mate!" (Guido Hatsis)

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Old 21-04-2021, 06:35 PM   #10227
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
There are still thin people who had mild covid and ended up with neurological problems, as the main target in their infection was the brain as opposed to the lungs.
In that case, Coupeking has absolutely nothing to worry about.
Old 21-04-2021, 07:55 PM   #10228
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post

$20 says it's either a grande sugar-Free vanilla latte with soy milk or a pumpkin spiced chai tea

Old 21-04-2021, 08:03 PM   #10229
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
$20 says it's either a grande sugar-Free vanilla latte with soy milk or a pumpkin spiced chai tea
hes a sparky?
3 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2021, 09:17 PM   #10230
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post

Meat and saturated fat, eggs, salt, butter, garlic, and low-carb vegetables,
3 users like this post:
Closed Thread