Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 09:23 PM   #10441
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Just an observation, and I haven't gone back through old posts to confirm, but it seems that those who were generally supportive of the lock downs last year are now questioning the severity of the penalties for breaking the international travel ban on citizens. Vice versa, those who were generally critical of the lock downs are now supportive of the penalties applied for international travel. Not saying who is wrong or right.

Also here is an interesting article from BBC. The news of potential jail terms for returning citizens is getting some international attention. Interpret it anyway you like, positive or negative.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-56953052

"So in an emergency situation, the government can make something a criminal offence overnight. At the height of the pandemic last year, the government beefed up its Biosecurity Act to give the health minister near unconditional powers bypassing parliament."

There was a lot of media and public attention put towards the State Of Emergency that Victoria tried to extend last year through parliament, it seems this one snuck through without a mention.
Old 02-05-2021, 09:28 PM   #10442
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Yes, Howard springs works, but where is the money coming from to build 5/10/15/50 more Howard springs?

And what’s happens when the virus runs it course?

It’s a huge outlay to build these centres for what should really be a short term requirement.

Imo they are Better off putting those resources into getting the vaccination program back on track. Get the numbers of people vaccinated up and the quarantine centres become largely redundant.
The Federal and State governments have already wasted heaps of money in hotel quarantine and to be honest do you or anyone else think this virus is going to go away; most likely there will be more so might as well future proof ourselves for the inevitable.

Cheers
2 users like this post:
Old 02-05-2021, 09:54 PM   #10443
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Is Victoria still enforcing the permit system at all? Or has it faded away for the time being?
They absolutely use it to trace people returning from interstate, my text message after returning from qld came from it. As for enforcing, 2 out of my last 5 flights had people at the gate checking

2 users like this post:
Old 02-05-2021, 10:13 PM   #10444
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
They absolutely use it to trace people returning from interstate, my text message after returning from qld came from it. As for enforcing, 2 out of my last 5 flights had people at the gate checking
My flights into Melbourne/Brisbane/Bundy on the 23rd were the first time i have not been met with checkpoints at the gate since March 2020.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
This user likes this post:
Old 03-05-2021, 12:32 AM   #10445
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothefalcon View Post
IMPO, the cost is relative chump-change, compared to the costs of border closures (both State and international) and what cost do you put on human life !??
It's less of a cost outlay... and more an investment into our futures.

As the scientific and medical experts are saying, no Country is safe until all Countries are safe. This will be with us for years, until things like global travel stop being a potential problem.
As the vaccine's effectiveness may only last 12 months (ish).. the global community is probably going to have to be vaccinated a few times before this virus is under effective global control !??
If a new strain manages to evade the effectiveness of the current vaccines, then we'll be playing catch up all over again.

Reportedly... around 36,000 Australian Citizens have been registered to come home for the last year (so far). Despite the 3,000-6000 people (per week) gong through medi-hotels already... this 36,000 registered number hasn't changed. ie: more Aussies are signing up to come home each week.

Agreed though... the vaccine roll out needs to be dealt with more efficiently... but not instead... as well.

D
I wonder the “true” numbers of Aus citizens presently “stranded” out of the country, but NOT registered?
In the event of an emergency (wife’s elderly mum ain’t the best), we have virtually no hope of a return anytime soon.
And if we did happen to snag one of the rare, exorbitantly priced seats out of the US, it is then illegal and virtually impossible for us to return here to our home!
When we first moved here, airfares could be had for Au$1700 return... The world was such a small place!
Those days are now gone forever, I suggest?
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
3 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2021, 01:01 AM   #10446
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

I also cynically wonder just how much of the feds hardline stance with huge fines and possible gaol time is politically motivated/vote grabbing?
I say this after listening to 3AW talkback yesterday...
Overwhelmingly, callers were of the opinion to slam shut Australian borders and not allow ANYONE back in... Gaol them, lock em up at Christmas Island...
Reeks of the typical “Feck you Jack, I’m ok” attitude!
These same hypocrites would be the first protesting and complaining to Aussie Government if their sons/daughters/mums/dads were stranded and unable to get back!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
4 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2021, 02:41 AM   #10447
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

One of the ironies in this, being that a poll by the Lowy Institute confirms your observed 3AW attitude.
2 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2021, 09:56 AM   #10448
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
In the event of an emergency (wife’s elderly mum ain’t the best), we have virtually no hope of a return anytime soon.
And if we did happen to snag one of the rare, exorbitantly priced seats out of the US, it is then illegal and virtually impossible for us to return here to our home!
Hey Charlie, have you actually looked into it?

By bro in law recently came back from the US to visit his ill mum, US$3k return, but you add hotel quarantine on top of that which is AU$3k. He booked only a few weeks in advance as the illness was unexpected. Flew back out after a couple of weeks no problems.

Just got news from my sister that they, as a family, managed to get a flight back from US to AU in July for US$2800 (one way). That is 2 adults and 2 kids. They will have to pay for quarantine on top of that, its a few Gs. They are always aware that it could get cancelled any time.

I don't think there is any issues going back out if you are going back to live. But any other reasons, even if it meets the gov criterias, you may need to jump through a few more hoops.

Those prices seem reasonable to me in this current situation. There are cheaper flights, but you have to transit through a few places making your trip 40hr+ Good luck!

Last edited by T3rminator; 03-05-2021 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:26 AM   #10449
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Hey Charlie, have you actually looked into it?

By bro in law recently came back from the US to visit his ill mum, US$3k return, but you add hotel quarantine on top of that which is AU$3k. He booked only a few weeks in advance as the illness was unexpected. Flew back out after a couple of weeks no problems.

Just got news from my sister that they, as a family, managed to get a flight back from US to AU in July for US$2800 (one way). That is 2 adults and 2 kids. They will have to pay for quarantine on top of that, its a few Gs. They are always aware that it could get cancelled any time.

I don't think there is any issues going back out if you are going back to live. But any other reasons, even if it meets the gov criterias, you may need to jump through a few more hoops.

Those prices seem reasonable to me in this current situation. There are cheaper flights, but you have to transit through a few places making your trip 40hr+ Good luck!
He's talking about return travel between Costa Rica and Aus, he's only transiting through the US....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 03-05-2021, 10:39 AM   #10450
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
He's talking about return travel between Costa Rica and Aus, he's only transiting through the US....
Ya, I didn't think we had any restrictions with Costa Rica that would prevent him coming or going. Or is there one between Costa Rica and US? Sorry, just trying to help.
2 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2021, 10:48 AM   #10451
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Ya, I didn't think we had any restrictions with Costa Rica that would prevent him coming or going. Or is there one between Costa Rica and US? Sorry, just trying to help.
No need to apologise mate i wasn't having a shot 😀

Old 03-05-2021, 12:15 PM   #10452
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
I also cynically wonder just how much of the feds hardline stance with huge fines and possible gaol time is politically motivated/vote grabbing?
I say this after listening to 3AW talkback yesterday...
Overwhelmingly, callers were of the opinion to slam shut Australian borders and not allow ANYONE back in... Gaol them, lock em up at Christmas Island...
Reeks of the typical “Feck you Jack, I’m ok” attitude!
These same hypocrites would be the first protesting and complaining to Aussie Government if their sons/daughters/mums/dads were stranded and unable to get back!
Ummm, everything all pollies do is motivated by vote grabbing, on both sides.

I am still astounded that people are upset about the temporary .....temporary closing of returnees from India. If you take New Zealand out, India is the most common country to return from. (670 in Feb versus 600 for UK and 490 from US)

https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/in...sident-returns

India expats would more likely than not have family to reside with, (i have literally hundreds of contractors at work that regularly return to the sub continent for family reasons every year) versus more self sustained people who have work contracts in the UK and USA, this plus I am way more comfortable that there was a lot more control with those two countries returnees at their peak issues than what is currently happening in India.

It should be reopened as soon as we know the full scope of what is happening and can decide if that is manageable for our quarantine system, anything else would be irresponsible.

Old 03-05-2021, 12:21 PM   #10453
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT May 2nd, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

49 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.051% but 35 of those cases are an adjustment to previous data.

5 new cases and 0 deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.993% and active cases 24.

The UK had a lower 1,671 cases yesterday and 14 deaths.

Just under 46k new cases in the USA yesterday and 707 deaths sees CMR at 1.782%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points: (weekend reporting)
Global cases pass 153M, the last 1M in 2 days;

Maldives (508);
Sri Lanka
(1,891); and
Nepal (7,137) - the previous high on 21/10/20

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

No countries move above the 90th percentile for their 10 day average and no countries drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 04-05-2021 at 11:50 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2021, 06:38 PM   #10454
zilo
BANNED

I don't mind making exceptions on compassionate grounds to returning travellers.

But cricketers touring to make a few bucks?

Not on your bloody life....let 'em sit it out there.

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
5 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2021, 10:05 PM   #10455
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

NZ will soon have a 2 way bubble with some of the surrounding Pacific Islands.

I know we had some discussion about the same but was anything made official like NZ?

Any country NZ enters into agreement with must automatically be included in our travel agreements by default seeing as both populations will mix in NZ anyway.

Same with us and Singapore - apparently the next bubble. However Singapore is in talks with Hong Kong to make their own bubble, which means as soon as that happens with Singapore, and we get the bubble underway with Singapore then we should also be allowed to go to Hong Kong directly.

I'm hoping that more travel agreements come into place soon... I'm itching to spend some time back in Asia.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 04-05-2021, 02:13 AM   #10456
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
NZ will soon have a 2 way bubble with some of the surrounding Pacific Islands.

I know we had some discussion about the same but was anything made official like NZ?

Any country NZ enters into agreement with must automatically be included in our travel agreements by default seeing as both populations will mix in NZ anyway.

Same with us and Singapore - apparently the next bubble. However Singapore is in talks with Hong Kong to make their own bubble, which means as soon as that happens with Singapore, and we get the bubble underway with Singapore then we should also be allowed to go to Hong Kong directly.

I'm hoping that more travel agreements come into place soon... I'm itching to spend some time back in Asia.
Think you might be disappointed with people trying to get back in Australia at the moment through other destinations will definitely slow down opening up other bubble arrangements which can be exploited.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:46 AM   #10457
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well this is different....could have saved some time by just looking at whats happening in other parts of the world.

England holds experimental music festival to test whether such events spread COVID-19

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-...read/100111524

"Around 5,000 people ditched face coverings and social distancing rules in the name of science and music.

They attended the outdoor event having tested negative for COVID-19, and promised to get themselves tested again five days after the festival.

Their data will be used by the government's Events Research Programme to help understand the effect of crowds on the spread of the virus."
Old 04-05-2021, 11:49 AM   #10458
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT May 3rd, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

12 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.050%.

2 new cases and 0 deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.992% and active cases 25.

The UK had a lower 1,649 cases yesterday and only 1 death.

Just under 41k new cases in the USA yesterday and 321 deaths sees CMR at 1.781%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 154M, the last 1M in 2 days;
India passes 20M cases;

Maldives (585);
Sri Lanka
(1,923); and
Nepal (7,388)

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

No countries move above the 90th percentile for their 10 day average while France and Bangladesh drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 04-05-2021, 12:16 PM   #10459
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post

The UK had a lower 1,649 cases yesterday and only 1 death.
Wow....! They just eased some restrictions back on 12 April, like allowing non essential retail to open. Now will be about the end of that incubation period, if numbers keep dropping and no more deaths, that is a big success for the vaccination roll out.

This needs to be publicised more to get immunisation rates up.
Old 04-05-2021, 12:57 PM   #10460
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Wow....! They just eased some restrictions back on 12 April, like allowing non essential retail to open. Now will be about the end of that incubation period, if numbers keep dropping and no more deaths, that is a big success for the vaccination roll out.

This needs to be publicised more to get immunisation rates up.
Perhaps we will never know, but imagine if there was under reporting or not as many tests being done, old BJ isnt that dissimilar to Trump.

It all seems a bit too good to be true.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 04-05-2021, 01:32 PM   #10461
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Is Victoria still enforcing the permit system at all? Or has it faded away for the time being?
Apparently you do.

https://www.service.vic.gov.au/servi...er-permit/home

We just did a return trip and I completely forgot until I read this post. No matter, as there was no-one checking at Tullamarine.

Last edited by FairmontGS; 04-05-2021 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-05-2021, 02:09 PM   #10462
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Perhaps we will never know, but imagine if there was under reporting or not as many tests being done, old BJ isnt that dissimilar to Trump.

It all seems a bit too good to be true.
Whilst both botched the initial response to the outbreak, they are really not that much alike. Don't let recent photo ops fool you.

From 2015:

Disclaimer: I'm a bit of a bojo fan so call me bias. Was a fantastic major for London when I was living there.

UK in the beginning were accused of under counting, then they came up with that ridiculous generic method and was accused of over counting, not sure how they are doing it now. The trend is really positive. There are enough critics in the media to keep them honest.
Old 04-05-2021, 02:14 PM   #10463
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Apparently you do.

https://www.service.vic.gov.au/servi...er-permit/home

We just did a return trip and I completely forgot until I read this post. No matter, as there was no-one checking at Tullamarine.
I believe most states require travellers have a permit or register details QR style for contact tracing purposes. It does not seem to be strictly enforced while we don't have community transmission. Perhaps health officials are relying on people to do the right thing. My brother travels interstate a couple of time a week and says it is a little difficult keeping up with the different requirements of each state.

Australia has done well containing Covid outbreaks compared to other countries. There are many reasons for that. One of the reasons is the public’s willingness to get onboard with all the public health measures.

It would help if those measure where consistent and uniform across the country.

I believe that has been mentioned before....
Old 04-05-2021, 02:23 PM   #10464
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
I believe most states require travellers have a permit or register details QR style for contact tracing purposes. It does not seem to be strictly enforced while we don't have community transmission. Perhaps health officials are relying on people to do the right thing. My brother travels interstate a couple of time a week and says it is a little difficult keeping up with the different requirements of each state.

Australia has done well containing Covid outbreaks compared to other countries. There are many reasons for that. One of the reasons is the public’s willingness to get onboard with all the public health measures.

It would help if those measure where consistent and uniform across the country.

I believe that has been mentioned before....
Yeah, I definitely QR-coded my way around Melbourne but the permit thingo completely slipped my mind.
Old 04-05-2021, 03:21 PM   #10465
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Yeah, I definitely QR-coded my way around Melbourne but the permit thingo completely slipped my mind.
I cant even get my hair cut in rural NSW without being checked for log in...WTF is melb airport (not) doing!

Granted they have travel records but still, as work horse said this is where that covid app should be being used and have the ability to scan QR's etc...that way there would have been less bitching about the app in the first place and it would have actually been useful! Link the bugger to your medicare number and get the tin foil hats at the ready.

Ah well, maybe next pandemic we can give it a go.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 04-05-2021, 03:50 PM   #10466
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
I cant even get my hair cut in rural NSW without being checked for log in...WTF is melb airport (not) doing!

Granted they have travel records but still, as work horse said this is where that covid app should be being used and have the ability to scan QR's etc...that way there would have been less bitching about the app in the first place and it would have actually been useful! Link the bugger to your medicare number and get the tin foil hats at the ready.

Ah well, maybe next pandemic we can give it a go.
Only so many resources to go around I guess.
Old 04-05-2021, 05:11 PM   #10467
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder how much of whats happened in the last couple of days has changed the course of thinking? Anyway...kudos for having some common sense and at least considering it.

PM considers Victorian quarantine proposal

https://www.theage.com.au/national/p...04-p57osz.html
Old 04-05-2021, 07:08 PM   #10468
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Michael Slater calls India travel ban a 'disgrace', as Australians face jail time for returning home

Quote:
Former Australian cricketer Michael Slater has accused Prime Minister Scott Morrison of having blood on his hands, as COVID-19 cases surge in India.

In a post on Twitter, Slater, who was in India as a broadcaster for the Indian Premier League (IPL), said the federal government was neglecting Australians who cannot return home because of the current travel ban.

If our Government cared for the safety of Aussies they would allow us to get home. It's a disgrace!! Blood on your hands PM. How dare you treat us like this. How about you sort out quarantine system. I had government permission to work on the IPL but I now have government neglect.

This is what I do for a living and I have not made a penny having left early. So please stop the abuse and think of the thousands dying in India each day. It's called empathy. If only our government had some.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-...ison/100113674

It's a bloody disgrace alright! Mr 'what have I missed' almost f'd up the Covid-19 pandemic within Australia, f'd up the quarantine arrangements for returning Australian's, f'd up the vaccination roll out, and now wants to put Australians in jail for trying to come home!?? He's on a roll!
Old 04-05-2021, 07:20 PM   #10469
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

slater the cock head was chasing his $$$ in some covid fermenting third world **** hole

ead m8
Old 04-05-2021, 09:13 PM   #10470
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Who wants to play spot the rednecks of AFF?

When you consider (just even in the last 12 months or so) how the Indian Sikh community has lent a helping hand to fellow Australians after the devastating bushfires, during our lockdowns, Covid-19 impacted residents, etc, etc, pretty much anyone in hardship or in need.., to call these people a product of a "third world **** hole", you are an absolute f***ing disgrace.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...18-p55d9a.html

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/sikh-gro...led-as-legends

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/healt...-need-c-753336

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/melbour...singh/12482508

Bet you any money the poster above (and his mates) have not done a single thing, or anywhere near what the Indian community have done to help fellow Australians, particularly in the last year or so. Couldn't even bother to lift a f***ing finger to help a fellow Australian. Yet, they're quick to hit the 'Thanks' button to an defamatory comment.

Last edited by Tickford.; 04-05-2021 at 09:19 PM.
3 users like this post:
Closed Thread