Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 31-05-2007, 12:49 AM   #1
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 
Default "unopened" and "street trim" info

Hey all, how are we?

I'm just after some clear definitions on the above two terms, "unopened" and "street trim", and what can be done while staying within those guidelines.

"Unopened" - obviously heads can't have been off. But what can be changed? Intake/exhaust manifolds? Rockers? Cams? (pretty sure that’s a no) injectors? and stuff like that

"Street trim" - pump fuel, street tyres, full exhaust. What about the interior? Only got to be street legal?

Thanks for your responses

Cheers

superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2007, 01:58 AM   #2
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unopened generally means just that. The exception ( in the other camps opinion ) is valve springs. Injectors would be fine too. Extractors are ok as its bolt on but inlet is an iffy. Any thing else that doesnt bolt up externally generally isnt unopened ( cam, heads, etc.)

Street trim the way it came out. No spare wheel, streetable tyres (with tread), pump fuel and full exhaust running cats and muffler/s.

My 2c

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2007, 02:12 AM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoods
Unopened generally means just that. The exception ( in the other camps opinion ) is valve springs. Injectors would be fine too. Extractors are ok as its bolt on but inlet is an iffy. Any thing else that doesnt bolt up externally generally isnt unopened ( cam, heads, etc.)

Street trim the way it came out. No spare wheel, streetable tyres (with tread), pump fuel and full exhaust running cats and muffler/s.

My 2c
Yeah its all over the place.

Unfortunately there is no definition, but IMO street is pretty much what schnoods said, but I would allow slicks or atleast something better than your usual tyres. Other than that everything else that you would normally drive around in down to the shops.

As for opened/unopened, I cant believe that even exsists. The only category you need is engine, so V8 n/a, I6 n/a , I6 Forced, V8 Forced.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2007, 10:02 AM   #4
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

I have apparently been opened, when I put in the performance enhancing billet pump gears (Can of worms anyone?)

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2007, 10:13 AM   #5
bigAl
THIS IS SPARTA!!

i think this whole unopened ect ect is more tuning shop braging rights to get an "edge" in sales.
bigAl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2007, 12:04 PM   #6
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Unopened is a term that gives an even playing field for tuners to prove their tuning ability.

A unopened motor from the factory will be very similar to the next unopened motor so if a tuner gets better results, it shows his ability. if a motor has been rebuilt or modified it can show that the combination is good or bad and the tuning is still important for results but not as important as a unopened motor to prove results as a perecntage of overall gains.

Changing to oil pump gears on the Boss, although itself does not help with power, but it allows the owner to rev his motor higher with confidence which can help with 1/4 mile times, also how do you police that cam timing has not been altered, Chris proved that by changing cam timing that the motor can be made to go quicker over the 1/4

Changing valve springs on a turbo motor helps the motor run more boost by stopping valve float, which is not a problem at normal boost levels.

Changing valve springs on a LS1, brings back lost power from weak factory valve springs which cause valve float at higher revs after they have softened with age.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2007, 12:46 PM   #7
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpursuit83
I have apparently been opened, when I put in the performance enhancing billet pump gears (Can of worms anyone?)
No can or worms but the simple fact is in your case it's classed as opened.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2007, 12:49 PM   #8
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigAl
i think this whole unopened ect ect is more tuning shop braging rights to get an "edge" in sales.
Of course it's bragging rights that's why shops like mine race our street cars down the 1/4 to show our talents and to get different performance data to show our customers or potential customers what works and what doesn't.

If you got two cars out there from two different shops and one car is consistently quicker and faster (don't have to win - the driver makes a difference there) the punter watching or reading the forums will i think go to the shop that runs quicker, isn't that human nature??

Why do we "strip" the car for racing? Well been there done that in a full weight manual BA XR8 ute and it's extremely difficult to get these cars to hook up on a drag strip in street trim, there's no fun in pedalling the car all the way down there. The best i could achieve in "FULL" street trim was 13.14 with a passsanger. The next week with 4.10 diff gears and only slicks and front runners being the changes it went 12.58 and then a week later in sydney it went 12.49.

Bring it home and take off exhaust, tailgate, pass seat, 90/10 shocks, towbar and lighten it by about 110kg and the times drop to 12.15.

It's alot more fun running in a race set up than it is in full street trim.

It's horses for courses, whatever takes your fancy if you want to run in full street trim that's fine but it's a lot more fun when you set it up for racing.

And as i have said many times before until there are rules drawn up and we have an indepentent scrutineering these cars well it's run what you brung and do as you please.
Old 31-05-2007, 12:53 PM   #9
Bluepower
KenneBell Australia

Our scene is following the LS1 scene fairly closely - this is where a lot of it comes from.

Bluepower Racing Developments

Proud Australian Distributors of Kenne Bell superchargers
The Quickest, The Fastest, The Baddest Boss Blower of all.

www.bluepower.com.au

Bluepower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2007, 01:46 PM   #10
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

If we are following the lead of others like the XR6 Turbo lead this would mean unopened isn't really unopened.
The rules are simple make them up us you go along, don't have any rules keeps it even more simple.
You can have all the rules in the world in the end it comes down to one thing, Honesty.

Never loose the site for most of us its the enjoyment is the drag racing regardless of ET, the mods or opened or unopened sometimes this goes with to much politics.
I remember when Rod got bagged for removing a highlight lens and was called a cheque book racer for importing 2 drag radials for $1400 the understanding has come along way since then.

Run what yah brung hope its enough and just go out and have Fun

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW

Last edited by SpoolMan; 31-05-2007 at 01:52 PM.
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2007, 01:56 PM   #11
bigAl
THIS IS SPARTA!!

Quote:
A unopened motor from the factory will be very similar to the next unopened motor so if a tuner gets better results, it shows his ability. if a motor has been rebuilt or modified it can show that the combination is good or bad and the tuning is still important for results but not as important as a unopened motor to prove results as a perecntage of overall gains.
Ahh now it all makes sense

Quote:
It's alot more fun running in a race set up than it is in full street trim
You got that right mate. Even my street trim is half striped out anyhow. I love the rawness and character you out of the car from it.
I'm not an angle when it comes to chasing ET's, everyone would have seen me stripping everything out of my ute at the AFF drag meet.
bigAl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2007, 02:39 PM   #12
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so how much would you knock off your ET by stripping out the interior on a sedan?and
how much more MPH would you gain?
Old 31-05-2007, 03:18 PM   #13
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Rule of thumb was you would gain 1 tenth for every 100 lbs of weight you reduced the car by.

With Street cars you would be lucky to remove approx 100 kgs with the normal removal of exhaust and seats and tailgate

Old 31-05-2007, 06:13 PM   #14
XR-ENVI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpursuit83
a bit like ours, when it was intially "opened", the rods were replaced for reliability not performance
XR-ENVI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2007, 07:45 PM   #15
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-ENVI
a bit like ours, when it was intially "opened", the rods were replaced for reliability not performance
Yeah, but what Craig and ratter says is true... We wouldn't push our engines as hard if we did not improve the weak spots...

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2007, 12:41 PM   #16
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Thanks all. You've cleared some things up for me.
Thanks craig, thats probably the best summary of unopened/opened i've heard

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 12:51 AM   #17
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

I was reving mine to 6800 before i had oil pump gears fitted, and i am not reving any harder now, just peace of mind.

But my motor was opened when Ford replaced the cam chain tensioners under warranty.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:31 PM   #18
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

My understanding of something being opened is any engine that has had any replacement or modification of a factory component that enables it to rev higher, obtain more power and or reliability which requires lubrication to operate. I mean, unopened by definition is just that, so that obviously includes oil pump gears and valve springs. But in the circles of LS1, valve springs is not to be considered as opened. It apears that we are following the same trend over here, with oil pumps gears on BOSS' and more so valve springs on turbos being considered unopened.

As for street trim, I don't think any weight is alowed to be removed? Even removing the spare, although not illegal, is still remvoing weight from it's original factory quoted weight. WIth tyres as long as they are street legal treaded tyres then they are fine. I don't beleive the M/T streets are actually legal to drive on as I thought the name was derived from a "street" class DOT radial. But I could be totally wrong...
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 01:00 PM   #19
hamo
since the beginning

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
I was reving mine to 6800 before i had oil pump gears fitted, and i am not reving any harder now, just peace of mind.

But my motor was opened when Ford replaced the cam chain tensioners under warranty.
agree. I haven't done the oil pump gears...yet. but i'm not thinking about that when going down the 1/4.

Always Autotech
hamo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 02:00 PM   #20
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamo
agree. I haven't done the oil pump gears...yet. but i'm not thinking about that when going down the 1/4.
Do a 12sec pass then you can have your gears..lol.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:58 PM   #21
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
But in the circles of LS1, valve springs is not to be considered as opened. It apears that we are following the same trend over here, with oil pumps gears on BOSS' and more so valve springs on turbos being considered unopened.
I don't believe we are following the trend over here. If anyone changes Oil Pump Gears on the V8 and valve springs on a Turbo then it's considered OPENED end of story.

The unopened deal in the LS1 scene is a joke IMO.

They have classes that i reckon make sense except for the valve spring deal. We should or could consider these for any future events.

The classes are BOTS - BOSS- LSSR - LSSS - LOF - Details below

LS1, LS2, L76 & L98 BOLT ON TRUE STREET (BOTS)
"Cars Racing in True Street Trim"

TYRES:
Street Legal RADIAL construction tyre - as big as the FACTORY placard allows
No Drag Radials

BODY:
Full stock silhouette with all body panels remaining 'as stamped' and road legal lighting operative.
Additional bodykit optional. Aero mods free
(ie. utes MUST run rear gate, sedans retain headlight)
Factory seats and full interior must be retained
Spare wheel, tool kit, all must be retained
A/C heater motor in place.
Window mechanism retained

ENGINE:
Unopened engine (minimum idle vacuum to be checked)
Valve Springs Free
Single throttle body inlet manifold
Full exhaust system with pipe(s) exiting in factory location
Full size stock radiator
Air Filter (of some type) MUST be retained
98 Octane pump unleaded only

PCM:
Management type Free, calibration Free

TRANSMISSION:
Stock transmission fitted as described on build tag
Internal gearbox modifications (eg stall converter, upgraded synchros) free.
Gearbox ratios to remain standard
Differential ratio and operation free

SUSPENSION:
Shock absorbers and springs free

OTHER:
No power adders
Vehicle must have original ADR compliance tag affixed, and carry an identifiable Holden VIN Number
Minimum Raceweight - excluding driver - 1600kg

LS1, LS2, L76 & L98 BOLT ON STREET STRIPPER (BOSS)
"Stripped Down Bolt On Class"

TYRES:
Any tyre allowed to a maximum of 275mm

BODY:
Body specification free
Interior free

ENGINE:
Unopened engine - requirement (minimum idle vacuum to be checked)
Valve springs free
Single throttle body inlet manifold
Air Filter free
Exhaust free
Fuel free

PCM:
Management type Free
Calibration Free

TRANSMISSION:
Stock transmission fitted as described on build tag
Internal gearbox modifications (eg stall converter, upgraded synchros) free.
Gearbox ratios to remain standard
Differential ratio and operation free

SUSPENSION:
Shock absorbers and springs free

OTHER:
No Power adders
Vehicle must have original ADR compliance tag affixed, and carry an identifiable Holden VIN Number
Minimum Raceweight - excluding driver - 1400kg

LS1, LS2, L76 & L98 SUPER STREET RADIAL (LSSR)
This category is for the more serious drag racer using radials
BODY:
Body specification free
Interior free

PCM:
Management type Free
Calibration Free

TYRES:
Radial tyres are the only type of construction allowed.
BFG Drag Radials, M/T Drag Radials and Nittos are all acceptable.

TRANSMISSION:
Maybe be either Manual or Automatic

CHASSIS:
All cars must have the original chassis only, no modifications permitted.

SUSPENSION:
All cars must retain stock style suspension and factory locations.
No fabricated control arms, 4 Links, ladder bar rear ends or chassis connectors.
Standard wheel tubs must be retained unaltered.
Outer lips may be rolled.

OTHERS:
Must have current registration.

LS1, LS2, L76 & L98 SUPER STREET SLICK (LSSS)
This category is for the more serious drag racer using slicks

BODY:
Body specification free
Interior free

PCM:
Management type Free
Calibration Free

TYRES:
Slicks and front runners

TRANSMISSION:
Maybe be either Manual or Automatic

CHASSIS:
All cars must have the original chassis only, no modifications permitted.

SUSPENSION:
All cars must retain stock style suspension and factory locations.
No fabricated control arms, 4 Links, ladder bar rear ends or chassis connectors.
Standard wheel tubs must be retained unaltered.
Outer lips may be rolled.

OTHERS:
Must have current registration.

Safety Notice:
Any vehicle running an ET of 12.5 or better and or trap speeds in excess of 110mph whilst using cross ply slicks will be required to use cross ply front runners.

LS1, LS2, L76 & L98 OUTLAW & FRIENDS (LOF)
Any LS1, LS2, L76 & L98 powered, four wheeled, vehicle that does not meet the BOTS, BOSS, LSSR or LSSS rules.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:53 PM   #22
gurujosh

I have a BA MK1 XR6T that i had a tune done on.It made 244rwkw with just tune,the tuner said the valve springs were crap but i went and raced.The best time was 14.0 which is no real better then stock as i was losing alot of power in top end.i got valve springs done and a retune which only made 5more rwkw but was able to keep power up top..i raced after this and did a 12.8..
So to me i think its fair enuf getting valve springs done on a MK1 considering how much it affected the times
gurujosh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 11:38 PM   #23
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well done on the times

Your post makes it clear how much a performance benefit the valve spring change is on the T.
If you had been running standard boost, the springs would not be needed hence is why they are a performance mod rather than a reliability issue. Don't get me wrong, if I owned a T, I would be changing them so I could run more boost, I just wouldn't call it unopened.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:07 AM   #24
gurujosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
Well done on the times

Your post makes it clear how much a performance benefit the valve spring change is on the T.
If you had been running standard boost, the springs would not be needed hence is why they are a performance mod rather than a reliability issue. Don't get me wrong, if I owned a T, I would be changing them so I could run more boost, I just wouldn't call it unopened.
I dont mean to sound like a smart **** but can you tell me how you can make a XR6T go quicker without raising boost??
In the MK1's with some of them it is a reliability item as when you do raise boost a little you get valve float when you give it a hit on the streets and not only at the track..It must have been a reliability issue with the mk1's as from my understanding they changed the springs on the the mk2 and BF..
Coming from a turbo side can I ask why alot of the BOSS guys change the diff ratio??Is it a reliability thing or a perfromance gain???
Old 07-06-2007, 02:42 PM   #25
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurujosh
.It must have been a reliability issue with the mk1's as from my understanding they changed the springs on the the mk2 and BF..
No point in debating this, for the purpose of the rules the XR6 Turbo guys have set out your car would fall under the unopened category.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:55 PM   #26
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
I dont mean to sound like a smart **** but can you tell me how you can make a XR6T go quicker without raising boost??
In the MK1's with some of them it is a reliability item as when you do raise boost a little you get valve float when you give it a hit on the streets and not only at the track..It must have been a reliability issue with the mk1's as from my understanding they changed the springs on the the mk2 and BF..
Coming from a turbo side can I ask why alot of the BOSS guys change the diff ratio??Is it a reliability thing or a perfromance gain???
So along your line of thinking you can put new rods in an engine, they dont make power themselfs but they allow you to safley spin the engine harder hence more power. Once you crack any seal it's open'd.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 03:07 PM   #27
gurujosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
So along your line of thinking you can put new rods in an engine, they dont make power themselfs but they allow you to safley spin the engine harder hence more power. Once you crack any seal it's open'd.
I dont see where I said anything about pulling the engine apart to put new rods in it and to be honest i dont really care what people do to make there car go quicker but everytime someone does a good time instead of people congratulating them theres always a few questions asked about whats been done to the motor etc etc..The rules should be setup like the LS1 guys have setup thr's..
Old 07-06-2007, 03:19 PM   #28
SpoolMan

Quote:
.The rules should be setup like the LS1 guys have setup thr's..
More trouble than its worth, creates controversy everyone has a different idea's and agenda.
Your allowed valve springs under xr6turbo rules puts your car on a even field with the BF.

We have 2 Boss motors that are different inside the engine, I can just see the unopened rules allowing the Boss 260 new valve springs.

Cars that have no interior and no exhaust should be classed as race cars, yes saving weight improves your ET but isn't like the unopened rule, changing valve springs etc, helps your ET.
IMO.

Quote from Budget Racer ''I don't want to win I just want to race''.

Last edited by SpoolMan; 07-06-2007 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:25 PM   #29
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
I can just see the unopened rules allowing the Boss 260 new valve springs.
Forget that, the rules are simple, "You open the engine for improved components ie: Billet Oil Pump Gears, Valve Springs then it's opened"

I don't see how it can be any clearer.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:27 PM   #30
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig@ACE
Forget that, the rules are simple, "You open the engine for improved components ie: Billet Oil Pump Gears, Valve Springs then it's opened"

I don't see how it can be any clearer.
XR6 Turbo.com boys already have this rule in place and have had for some time, puts the BA and BF engine on a level playing field, changing there rules is like changing the LS1 rules you wont do it..