Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 20-06-2008, 01:29 AM   #1
auruminfinitum
Starter Motor

Default Some Mondeo thoughts from a new owner

Greetings all,

34 year old Melbourne guy. Recent purchaser of XR5 Mondeo.

Previous car was 2004 Subaru Liberty.

After two weeks here are my thoughts:

+ Feels safe and secure
+ Drives beautifully
+ Love the Bluetooth integration/HMI
+ Looks &^% hot (Thunder)
+ Space and room
+ Boot size
+ Interior design/colour scheme
+ Build quality

- Speed markings on speedo hard to differentiate between - this is BAD in my opinion and should be improved.
- Hate the position of the off switch for radio - not lit up at night so can be hard to find.
- No Ipod integration - I mean in this day and age!

No major issues there and am really happy with the purchase so far. I would give it a 8 - 8.5 /10. FYI - previous cars Jeep Cherokee 1/10 and Subaru Liberty 9.5/10.

Having said all of that this car hasn't "grabbed" me as much as the Liberty did when I first bought that 4 years ago. I can't be specific as to why I feel this way but maybe it is because I am older, wiser and have higher expectations. I guess also I read NOTHING but positive reviews on the Mondeo that it is hard for all of your wishes to come true.

So just some thoughts from a new owner.

auruminfinitum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2008, 08:06 AM   #2
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What level of iPod integration do you need; we use the port in the glovebox for the kids MP3/4 players all the time?
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2008, 09:32 AM   #3
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I agree with the iPod intergration. If the BA can get one that even charges it up (I beleive this is true, someone will point it out to me) then why can't a Mondeo? Bit average. There is going to be a fix for this, but I lease my car, and won't be paying for the set up, as I don't think Ford will retro-fit it.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2008, 06:00 PM   #4
auruminfinitum
Starter Motor

In my opinion MP3 player integration is as follows:

- Recharges device whilst plugged in.
- Uses audio controls/visual display to work directly with MP3 player.

The Mondeo has a 3.5mm input point. This means that I still need to have another cord draped over the console to power it up. You also need to take your eyes off the wheel to select a song if you are driving solo. If you are just going to include a 3.5mm input jack why not put a 9V slot in the glovebox like HEAPS of other manufacturers do.

It is just as easy (IMHO) to use a <Insert Brand Here> device that plugs into the 9V socket and sends the music via a radio frequency.

I guess the HMI is SO good I am just disappointed that they couldn't have spent a few more dollars to have it truly "integrated".

iPods/MP3 players have been around for at least 5 years. Surely in this time Ford could have included something in a car which is marketed as "the most technogically advanced Ford ever built".
auruminfinitum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2008, 06:05 PM   #5
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

The reason why ford didn't put in an ipod adapter is because no everyone uses iPod.

The current solution lets ANY device input to the system, so keeps the masses happy.

As for the speedo, I found it really crappy when I first got the car. After a week or so its not even a consideration. But I agree it couldn't be a bad thing to revise it a bit.
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2008, 07:46 AM   #6
Zippy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by auruminfinitum
- Speed markings on speedo hard to differentiate between - this is BAD in my opinion and should be improved.
- Hate the position of the off switch for radio - not lit up at night so can be hard to find.
- No Ipod integration - I mean in this day and age!
I've only spent 2 days with mine, and I can sort of agree with the speedo comment. But I think that will take some time for me to get used to - in fact, there is a lot for me to adjust to, including the on/off radio switch, as well as the climate control.

I've never had iPod compatibility with any of my previous cars, but I would note that they were perfectly capable of offering this feature in the new FG Falcon. In my mind, control via HMI/Steering wheel buttons is probably of most value, regardless of the brand of media player. In fact, I think the lack of SatNav as an option is unfortunate.
Zippy7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2008, 10:16 AM   #7
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My thoughts after 1 month of Zetech Hatch. (previous car BA SR)

+ Love the dash, lots of "surprise and delight features"
+ Love how it lights up at night
+ Love the Grille and front end styling
+ Interior and boot space
+ Good performance at highway speed (see minus)
+ love the six speed box and shifter (i use manual mode a LOT)
+ Good brakes and handling (see minus)
+ its abit of a technological marvel. lots of great technology.
+ 700km plus from 70 litres (Falcon was about 500-550 from 65)
+ takes std ulp or e10
+ no petrol cap to fiddle with (see minus)
+ very good (not great) stereo, tells you fm station name and all sorts of cd info.
+ mp3 input - I have made a very neat concealed cable that to my 20GB player in cup holder, looks excellent, works well. (no apple products here)

- slug off the line
- Rattles and gremlins do make me worry about build quality and reliability (hope i havent bought a lemon!) Falcon felt better built.
- Poor visability for lane changing etc
- still having trouble with indicator/wiper stalks swapped over.(still turning wipers on at times)
- I like to rest my elbow on door and hold wheel with one arm, find the window too high, arm rest too low (and having indicator on left means lane changing needs two hands) cant qquite get comfortable in it.
- my young kids find it hard to see out high rear windows
- boy those wheels go black quickly! (brake dust)
- steering is very direct, not much free play. I find if i look down to search for something on dash, i veer off line.
- Feels a little nervous in high speed cornering
- How do u get petrol in from geri-can if you run out on roadside (it happened to me!)
- audio is not as loud from mp3 as cd/radio
- some of radio function buttons such as changing am/fm etc are hard to find on the move
- no instantaneous fuel consumption on trip computer
- only 1 trip meter.. i used one for "per tank" of for "per trip (tax) purposes" on falcon
- some dash functions not explained in book
- water comes in boot when u open hatch after rain.

Overall, im happy with car, but not inspired or enthusiastic about it. perhaps if it didnt rattle all the time and break down on me and was a little more powerful.

Two days after getting it back from dealer to fix faulty fuel gauge, i looked over and the wiring loom had fallen out onto passsenger foot well floor. I think the dealer left off a trim panel when he worked on it. Back it goes! The rear of the centre console is twisted and broken, replacement is on order.

Also there is a non stop loud rattle coming from passenger side door or B pillar that no one can trace. As i say i worry about quality.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2008, 10:43 AM   #8
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I've got a noise from the rear driver's side door trim that they can't replace. I've even got them to replace the tweeter on the door, and it is still there.

I guess I'm learning to live with it. Annoying, but not as bad as some cars I've driven.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2008, 06:04 PM   #9
Katoomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77
My thoughts after 1 month of Zetech Hatch. (previous car BA SR)

- still having trouble with indicator/wiper stalks swapped over.(still turning wipers on at times)

... As i say i worry about quality.
As I alternate between my Laser and the Mondeo, this continues to be a problem and has resulted in scratches on both windscreens from turning on wipers when the w/screens are dusty and dry.

At 13,000 kms the quality is a bit of a worry - rattles and squeaks becoming more noticable and little things failing such as the the plastic string supports for the hatch lid cover failing. Hope the dealer's got some spares in the stock.

And I always forget about the water problem when I opened the hatch - that's a pain when you've got stuff in the boot.
Katoomba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2008, 11:33 PM   #10
jared79
Sock Puppets

Done, 12,000KM and having none of the issues you guys are. No rattles or squeaks at all. Still love driving it. Brake dust is bad, but my dads VW Golf has the same issue. Still got 2 thumbs up from me. I feel sorry that you guys are having issues.

Ford Mondeo Zetec Hatch in Blue Ambition
jared79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2008, 12:03 AM   #11
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting to see built date for those that are having problems!

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2008, 12:05 AM   #12
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared79
Brake dust is bad, but my dads VW Golf has the same issue. Still got 2 thumbs up from me. I feel sorry that you guys are having issues.
is that because of city driving, or you braking hard!

apstar
Old 04-07-2008, 10:42 AM   #13
Lord Viykor
XR5 convert

Well we've just clocked up 3000km and the car is still a pleasure to drive. Aside from some minor faults that Ford are fixing I'm pretty happy.

Things that could be improved for me would be
- Lockable fuel cap
- digital speedo would have been nice
- the way the rear window on the hatch holds water in the 'channel' after washing the car
- the way water goes into the hatch when it's opened, from what I've read they've fixed this on the '08 models
- alloy pedals from factory would have been nice
The mods: Window tint | Fomoco alloy pedals | Red painted brake calipers | THB Bury bluetooth | Bluefin | GGR CAI | Bilstein B6 sports dampers | Eilbach lowered coils | 2XS Inhaler (Top Induction Pipe) | EBC Ultimax discs and EBC red stuff brake pads | Mongoose 3" dump with Mongoose 3" 200 cell cat into custom system with Varex mufflers | Forge re-circ valve | Airtech intercooler coming soon
Lord Viykor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2008, 04:04 PM   #14
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well my thoughts are as follows:

: "It's somewhere out there" strange I'm sure someone said that on a TV show

apstar

ps now I know what most of you went through while waiting,waiting,waiting
Old 05-07-2008, 06:40 PM   #15
jasonsultana@oz
Starter Motor

Default 10 weeks and 10000KM

I have now had my Mondeo Zetec (white) for 10 weeks. I am a rep on the road and have just about racked up 10000KMs.

I must admit I am suprised by the car. It has be great on the fuel, handling and performance. It is a bit sluggish in the cold mornings (around the Hawkesbury it gets to -1 some mornings) but after a few minutes of driving it is back to itself again.

I agree with other comments about the water in the boot lining after it rains or is washed. Doesnt matter how many times I wipe the water away there is more and more there.

The brake dust on the wheels blows me away. Never driven a car with so much dust.

I love the Bluetooth and the Voice Command System - Its brilliant when you are driving - a must for new owners if you have the choice to get it!!!!

I agree with the majority of Bathurst77 overall pluses and minuses

Finally can anyone tell me the purpose of the "Frost Light" coming on when the temperature outside is 4 degrees or less. This is the only thing that I still cant work out. Telling me its cold means nothing when I am driving.
jasonsultana@oz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2008, 07:00 PM   #16
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Its warning you there may be ice on the roads surface and to drive with caution.

Its a european thing, usually we can just ignore it out here
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2008, 10:58 PM   #17
jared79
Sock Puppets

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
is that because of city driving, or you braking hard!

apstar
City Driving, I work in the city and live outside the city. Do about 80-100km a day.

Ford Mondeo Zetec Hatch in Blue Ambition
jared79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2008, 03:23 PM   #18
TheColonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRsedan
Its warning you there may be ice on the roads surface and to drive with caution.

Also is the EU models it automatically turns on their heated windscreen and wing mirrors and stuff when the temp gets that low
Old 08-07-2008, 09:44 PM   #19
jasonsultana@oz
Starter Motor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRsedan

Thanks for this. I thought this may be the case
jasonsultana@oz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2008, 11:47 PM   #20
FRIKA
FRIKA

Sorry to be pesamistic. But not that impressed for a car of that calibre and price. If i could go back in time and choose again it would not have been the Mondeo xr5. If i wasnt going to lose so much money by selling it now i would.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:32 AM   #21
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are you saying ANY Mondeo or would you now choose the TDCi knowing what you now know!!

apstar
Old 11-07-2008, 11:45 AM   #22
Katoomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRIKA
Sorry to be pesamistic. But not that impressed for a car of that calibre and price. If i could go back in time and choose again it would not have been the Mondeo xr5. If i wasnt going to lose so much money by selling it now i would.

I would love to hear your reason(s), Frika.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:24 PM   #23
Zippy7

I've now driven my car from Sydney to Canberra and back, so I've got a few more miles of driving and I would comment on the following.

It's a fair bit noisier than I had expected - certainly the Fifth Gear review mentioned something about it being quieter at speed, but this was certainly not the case. I felt there was a fair bit of wind noise, and the insulation wasn't the best. I have Bridgestone Potenzas instead of the Continentals - perhaps the tyre noise is a significant contributing factor to the roaring road noise I experienced.

I am getting used to the speedo, but it is still hard to gauge the right speed quickly.

The Auto headlights are nice, but they wouldnt switch off at one stage - dunno why, maybe the windscreen was dirty, or it was too gloomy.

For a long trip, I thought it was a bit thirsty (maybe just running in time), as my old 2.8 V6 passat got into the 7's (L per 100km) for a run to Canberra.

The fuel filler is a bit fiddly, I had to wiggle it before it would take fuel, and the flap doesn't lock when the car is locked. But I did ask about that before I bought it, and I was assured it locks. Will have to speak to the dealership about getting that rectified, as I can see where it should lock.

I haven't seen many other Mondeo's around, but that just means we are in an exclusive club

I think the car is good - when I was shopping around, I was also looking at a Liberty (too small in comparison), and the Mazda 6. I could not bring myself to buy a 6, given the price and what you get for it (equipment levels).
Also, in my case, the wife asked me what my gut feel was, and I just wanted the Turbo.

Anyway, if I do get lots of problems that my dealer won't help me with, then I guess I will have to close my eyes and pretend to be an Alfa Romeo owner...
Old 11-07-2008, 07:46 PM   #24
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thank god my misses thinks computers are for dick-heads if she reads this I'm a gona me's think I told her it's the best available :

apstar

6 days to go
Old 11-07-2008, 09:48 PM   #25
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quite a statement Frika, be interested to hear your reasoning?

There is a fair bit of noise at about 130+, probably more then the BA, but not BAD. Tyre noise I hadnt noticed. (zetech hatch)
It have no problem with the speedo, except the needle seems always to be 10-20 HIGHER then I tell my missus im doing.
I find it very easy to read, and I find the numeral font attractive (is the speedo different on turbo?)

The more I drive this car, the more I think i bought well.
ITS JUST THAT BLOODY DOOR RATTLE I HATE!!!!

I thought the Ice light was to remind me to put on me spencer and a nice cardigan snowflake. Me mum lives too far away.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2008, 09:03 AM   #26
Katoomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77
...It have no problem with the speedo, ...
I find it very easy to read, and I find the numeral font attractive (is the speedo different on turbo?)
Perhaps it's the way we have the seat adjusted. I still find it hard to see the speedo (Zetec Hatch). It's inset too far for me and I often have to turn the parking lights on to illuminate the speedo which makes it easier to read.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:37 PM   #27
scribbly

I just drove Melbourne to Brisbane and back and found the ride very comfy. At one stage when I swapped to the passenger seat I found the annoying rattle in the front to actually be the E-Tag. While driving I could never figure out the direction of the rattle. I used a Garmin GPS and used it to accurately figure out the 100/110 kmh marks on the speedo. For 100 it was 104 indicated & for a 110 it was 112 indicated.
Before we left I fixed the faulty parking sensors myself - Ford told me it would take them at least 1/2 a day! One of the plugs was slightly loose.
I thought the road and wind noise to be minimal. I could hear the kids dvd sound from their headphones.
On the final leg coming back we drove Dubbo back home and still had 300km left in the tank.
The one thing that really annoyed me was having to fill up the diesel from the bigger nozzles. Invariably you would get a spillage inside the wheel well and the diesel wicks out all over the back side end of the car.

All in all the car is great and it just went over the 15,000 km mark. I got it in April08 and it's going well...touch wood.

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2008, 03:43 PM   #28
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Scribbly,

Did you get your average fuel consumption for the entire trip???

Im guessing you went the Newell then, which is normally not such a bad road...

How did you go with overtaking any Grey Nomads towing Caravans at 75kph?

Or even trucks in the 110kph sections? Enough grunt to get up and moving past them?

Would be a pain filling up with the bigger nozzles... But at least you are not at the pump for quite as long
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2008, 04:22 PM   #29
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan

Would be a pain filling up with the bigger nozzles... But at least you are not at the pump for quite as long
Isn't that why they supply an adaptor for the larger nozzles!

apstar
Old 12-07-2008, 06:54 PM   #30
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Viykor
Well we've just clocked up 3000km and the car is still a pleasure to drive. Aside from some minor faults that Ford are fixing I'm pretty happy.

Things that could be improved for me would be
- Lockable fuel cap
- digital speedo would have been nice
- the way the rear window on the hatch holds water in the 'channel' after washing the car
- the way water goes into the hatch when it's opened, from what I've read they've fixed this on the '08 models
- alloy pedals from factory would have been nice
The Fuel Cap Should lock when you lock the car. That feature was standard on the Zetec Focus. So it should be standard on yours.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post