Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-10-2008, 06:01 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Angry Q Police To Clamp Down On Flashing LIghts To Warn Of Speed Cameras!!!!

MOST Queensland drivers are willing to flout the law by flashing their headlights to warn other drivers of hidden speed cameras and radars, research confirms.

Although the offence of flashing high beam carries a $30 fine and loss of one demerit point – or a $1500 fine if the matter is lost in court – 54 per cent of motorists said they had done it in the past and would do it again to prevent a fellow driver from getting a speeding ticket, a study by insurance company AAMI has found.

And the number of "flashers" is growing.

A similar survey in 2006, found only 39 per cent of Queensland drivers flashed warnings.

The latest research, conducted as part of the 2008 AAMI Crash Index and Young Driver Index studies, identified north Queensland drivers as the worst offenders.

Sixty-two percent admitted to regularly flashing their headlights as a warning.

They were followed by drivers from central Queensland (61 per cent), Sunshine Coast (59 per cent), Gold Coast (56 per cent) and Toowoomba/Darling Downs (54 per cent).

Only 48 per cent of Brisbane motorists admitted to headlight flashing. Three per cent of Queensland motorists also admitted they used radar detectors, which are illegal in all states except Western Australia.

Queensland road rules prohibit use of a vehicle's high beam within 200m of other vehicles.

Police Minister Judy Spence said people who flashed their lights to warn of speed cameras were condoning speeding by trying to prevent offending drivers being caught.

She said police could fine motorists for incorrect use of a vehicle's headlights or prosecute for hindering police.

"Many people are surprised when they are pulled over that they are committing an offence. It is no excuse and won't be accepted as one by police," she said.

The Queensland Police Service's 2006-07 statistical review showed 220,048 notices for speed camera-detected offences were issued, compared with 203,202 the previous year.
My comment :
IF the Police used the cameras as they were intended and not revenue raising, motorists wouldn't flash their lights. And too those who say " if you don't speed you won't get caught." Thats not the point, ITS how they are used that causes angst. Use them as they were intended and motorists wouldn't get pxxxxedoff about the cameras.

Old 26-10-2008, 06:03 PM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yet radio stations can report where they are located??

Makes alot of sense, but neways.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2008, 06:43 PM   #3
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They are using the "high beam" bit of the legislation.

Here is an interesting hypothetical.

You are driving along and the are a mob of moo cattles all over the road just on the exit of a blind corner. Just after you safely pass the aformentioned hazard you see a school bus coming it the other direction.

Is it illegal to flash the bus to warn them of danger? Of course not. I would suggest you have a duty of care to other road users to prevent danferous situations.

In Queensland speed cameras can, by law, only be positioned in known and documented black spots. This is different to other states.

So therefore if you are flashing an oncoming motorist they MUST be about to enter a known dangerous area otherwise there would not be a speed camera there so therefore you are acting in the interest of safety rather than how Captain Bligh sees it (defrauding the government of road tax income).

The radio stations won their little fight because they argued that their broadcasts would help slow traffic in known dangerous places (blackspots) and if the reason for the cameras was safety then they were helping (and if the reason for cameras were publicly admitted as revinue gathering, all hell would break loose as THAT would be illegal).

It is all a load of crap, they have to prove you were interfering and as long as you use LOW BEAM (not high or W lights) and do not admit it on tape when they roll you they are stuffed.

P.S. Those of you who know me know where I get this stuff from
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2008, 07:36 PM   #4
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Fully agree Flappist. The point you have made is logical...if police are using speed cameras in positions known as black spots to encourage safe driving practices (i.e. slowing down, paying attention etc) then flashing is only helping this. If a driver doesn't see a 'flash' and still gets busted then they are clearly very much not paying attention so deserve to be busted.

The government argument against flashing is that people slow down, don't get caught, but don't learn anything because they weren't financially penalised. So the guts of the argument is that people only respond to being busted. Since i know poeple who have been caught speeding (by small amounts) on a semi-regular basis over the years i reckon that is rubbish...people speed mostly because they are not focusing on their speed (might be lack of concentration, focusing on traffic etc.) or don't care....ie. they are disobeying the limit because they believe its rubbish.

The government, since it believes the ludicrous notion that speed is the number one cause of car accidents, think that stopping people from speeding will solve all problems, and the only way to do that is to catch them. Oh and it makes lots of money too.....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2008, 07:39 PM   #5
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I was reading an Australian Laws book in legal studies years ago and it actually comes down to "Preventing the cause of Justice" although a court nor police officer can determine whether you were flashing your lights to warn of a "situation", simply checking your lights, or even just accidently bumped your lights.

IMO, just don't flash a cop car that there is a speed camera ahead and you won't get caught. I mean, how can they really police this?

If it is just refering to the high beam part of it all. What if you just flashed your low beams (ie. Off-Low beam-Off-Low Beam-Off).

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2008, 07:40 PM   #6
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

We (Truck Drivers) have the same problem of warning other drivers, either by flashing or verbally via the radio.

Some people argue that forewarning others that if they break the law, ie Speeding, is the wrong thing to do.

Dont banks do this. They have signs saying dont rob the ATM we have cameras watching you.

FWIW. Yes I tell others when a radar unit passes me, and yes I've had them turn around and take 10mins to catch me, such was the distance between us.
Old 26-10-2008, 10:20 PM   #7
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

the way i see it, if i flash my lights at a car travelling in the other direction the driver will become more alert to his/her driving and so will be driving safer for that section of road , may be several km on country roads.

that has to be better then having the said driver cruising along in auto mode , getting flashed by the camera (maybe not even noticing it) and continuing on down the road at speed. even if they have seen the camera and know they got busted , a lot of people dont slow down because the damage is already done, most camera cars are not backed up with mobile patrols so your chances of getting busted again is slim ( unless your travelling the Gin Gin <-> Rockhampton stretch of highway) .

i never flash for rbt test or if the car coming looks to be doing excessive speeds.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2008, 10:40 PM   #8
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

to me it is all about the $$$$$$$$$$$ really it is pathetic, i like to warn drivers becasue where they park is some times is so dangerous, how about cops when they flash lights or turn sirens on that is dangerous as well my 2 cent proberly not valid but any way
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2008, 11:02 PM   #9
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I must confess that I have been guilty of flashing people on occasion when there is a speed camera nearby, but as stated above not if you can see they are travelling at high speed. I am also glad when people warn me. Not everyone is constantly looking at their speedo. In any case this "clamping down" smacks of revenue raising.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2008, 11:09 PM   #10
IH8HSV
XR6T 400kw(well one day!)

Im all for the flashing of the lights.

Its just another way to even up the odds of this ''cat and mouse game''.

If cops can set up there speed traps just after a speed sign or in road work areas where the signs are constantly changing and confusing people, then why cant we flash our lights?

I dont condon exessive speeding but setting up speed cameras in these types of areas are purly to catch those that may inocently creep over the limit or a bit slow to react to a speed change.
Old 26-10-2008, 11:16 PM   #11
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Wow...someone's desperate for cash!

Good luck to them....I'm still gonna flash my lights to warn fellow motorists.

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2008, 11:23 PM   #12
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I have heard police say its safer so it slows every one down..
So we are all helping..
May not help the Gov revenue though...???
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2008, 01:22 AM   #13
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

They have been cracking down on this in NSW somewhat for about a year now, I remember when it came in. To be honest I still do it and so do others, now I'm just more cautious as to where I do it. They will usually have the speedtrap, and then a car 500m or so down the road on the other side picking up people for high-beeming.

I always thought the point of Radars (and Police presence in General) was to prevent speeding and to be a constant reminder that its enforced, whether you get booked or whether you get flashed by another motorist is achieving the same goal, one just earns more revenue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
Yet radio stations can report where they are located??

Makes alot of sense, but neways.
This was on the radio when it first came into NSW, I remember thinking the same thing, and someone called up and asked, the response from the radio station was that they say "A Police action is being carried out at xxxxx rd" or "there is a police Operation taking place at XXXXX", and By not directly reporting that its an RBT or Speed trap they can get out of it and are allowed to report it. They can report as news that there is Police activity, but they are not allowed to report what it is if it is in progress.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2008, 02:10 AM   #14
Gaz
Got Ghia?

Yes, well they say speed camera's are there as a deterrent - you see the camera, flash your lights, other people realise they are speeding and slow down, thus not getting caugh by the camera - the deterrent worked!

Wonder how the argument of to be perverting the course of justice would mean they would have to prove the drive you flashed was speeding, thus slowing them and avoiding a fine, if they weren't speeding then you aren't really perverting the course of justice are you.
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2008, 10:00 AM   #15
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave351cid
the way i see it, if i flash my lights at a car travelling in the other direction the driver will become more alert to his/her driving and so will be driving safer for that section of road , may be several km on country roads.

that has to be better then having the said driver cruising along in auto mode , getting flashed by the camera (maybe not even noticing it) and continuing on down the road at speed. even if they have seen the camera and know they got busted , a lot of people dont slow down because the damage is already done, most camera cars are not backed up with mobile patrols so your chances of getting busted again is slim ( unless your travelling the Gin Gin <-> Rockhampton stretch of highway) .

i never flash for rbt test or if the car coming looks to be doing excessive speeds.
spot on, if i think a driver is coming towards me very fast i wont flash to warn,same with RBT,also i will flash for QLD transport inspectors
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2008, 10:09 AM   #16
tweeked
N/A all the way

I just turn my low beams on and off. I have been wondering how this will go if i get pulled over for it. What is my chance that the police will believe that it was only low beam.

On a side note, i am happy to warn others whenever they have the camera in one of those sections like dual carriageway signposted as 60, where there is little danger but a lot of people 10 k's over the limit. Put the cameras in a genuine black spot and I wont flash

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2008, 10:49 AM   #17
camfraser

I have never and will never flash to warn others of a speed camera. Not because of the law against flashing, but if they are speeding and get caught it is their fault. Sure they may slow down but they will only continue at their original higher speed once they realize they have gone past the camera. It cannot be used as a means of "making them drive safer".

Aren't Black Spots signed anyway? Why do WE need to warn others?

And another thing, speed limits are put in place, so like it or not you have to obey them or suffer the consequences. If you can't concentrate on your speed why are you behind the wheel?? Even if it is revenue raising, it is still against the law to exceed the speed limit.

I'm no do-gooder (just back on the road after 4 years without license) but people need to stop whinging.
camfraser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2008, 11:06 AM   #18
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

camfraser scribbled this day;-
Quote:
I have never and will never flash to warn others of a speed camera. Not because of the law against flashing, but if they are speeding and get caught it is their fault. Sure they may slow down but they will only continue at their original higher speed once they realize they have gone past the camera. It cannot be used as a means of "making them drive safer".
Who said the sinposted 'speed' is 'safe' at point of operation?

Quote:
Aren't Black Spots signed anyway? Why do WE need to warn others?
Yes, and umm - to warn folk of them??

Quote:
And another thing, speed limits are put in place, so like it or not you have to obey them or suffer the consequences.
Of course, exceeding the arbritary speed-limit can lead to optional tax payment.

Quote:
If you can't concentrate on your speed why are you behind the wheel??
I can, and most of us can, but the point is that the speed-limit is very often, particularly in relation to the open-road, set too low.

Quote:
Even if it is revenue raising, it is still against the law to exceed the speed limit.
Okay, you admit it might be 'revenue raising', and to then state the blindingly obvious.

Quote:
I'm no do-gooder (just back on the road after 4 years without license) but people need to stop whinging.
Credibility is now at??
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2008, 11:24 AM   #19
Wally
XP Coupe

The police here have too much influence over Govt policy. We have moved into the election envelope and the old bogey of law & order is back on the agenda.

The police service union in Qld formed a voting block a few elections back and effectively ousted the Labor party, but instead of getting them under control, successive Govts have allowed them to become more powerful to the point they have Gestapo qualities. They even want legislation whereby summary judgements can be made outside the judicial system... so much for separation of powers.

I still wonder how police cars cruisng the freeways, come from being a distant vehicle in the rear view mirror to being a distant object out front in a matter of 5 minutes, when I'm sitting on the speed limit. Do they know how to bend time or something?
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #20
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If a car is travelling toward me at excessive speed for a circumstance I know is around the corner, I will flash them, such a warning flash is allowed under NSW law. Last I read it was not specific about the circumstance.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2008, 11:40 AM   #21
rodderz

It slows down drivers though doesnt it!
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2008, 12:26 PM   #22
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They tried this in NSW a while back the first time it went to court it was chucked out and the don't do it any more you can legally flash your lights to warn of a hazard thats why the function there and mandated in the ADRs . the can not prove you were warning about a radar so can't prove you commited an offence

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2008, 01:05 PM   #23
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

You will find that most HWP officers will give you a friendly "warning flash" if they cop you going a bit too quick, but not quick enough for them to bother fining you, on open country roads.
This has happened to me several times on Qld country roads. I hope they do not stop this in favour of fines!
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
FTE72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2008, 01:24 PM   #24
Brett3158

Flashing a warning is a compulsory civil duty to the fellow oppressed under the Eureka code/rules.
Brett3158 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2008, 01:41 PM   #25
camfraser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Who said the sinposted 'speed' is 'safe' at point of operation?
I have never come across an 'unsafe' speed limit, but i find that its not usually the speed but lack of awareness of surroundings to be a problem. You can still drive straight into the side of another vehicle doing 10km under the limit.

Quote:
Yes, and umm - to warn folk of them??
Like i said, why do WE need to warn.

Quote:
I can, and most of us can, but the point is that the speed-limit is very often, particularly in relation to the open-road, set too low.
Agree with you 100%, but it caters for those who can't drive so well.

Quote:
Okay, you admit it might be 'revenue raising', and to then state the blindingly obvious.
Sorry. Why can't i 'state the blindingly obvious'?

Quote:
Credibility is now at??
So i can't have an opinion because i have made mistakes? All i'm saying is people don't need to whinge about rules and regulations that they can't change. Speed cameras are there, speed limits are there, black spots are there; drive accordingly and you will be fine... oops stated the obvious again.

Just stirring ;)
camfraser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2008, 02:16 PM   #26
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfraser
Like i said, why do WE need to warn.
Now let me have a guess. Generation ME ?

Because that is what a society is for.........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2008, 02:29 PM   #27
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Now let me have a guess. Generation ME ?

Because that is what a society is for.........

And you could save someones life, talk about selfish.

Alot of people see the flash your lights thing as having one up on the cops but thats not the reason behind it, i'd flash someone whose driving too fast whether there is a speed camera there or not.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2008, 02:35 PM   #28
MRFGXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 
Angry Flashing of the lights

Hm as far as I am concerned it should be ok to flash oncoming motorists to warn of speed cameras and the like. The only reason why there is a uproar is the government is loosing out on consolidated revenue generated from speeding fines, oh and the Police arn't getting there quota. If it was as those concerned have mentioned numerious times that the radar is there to slow down drivers then thery just need a nice white marked police car where every one can see and not hiding around some sneeky little corner and so on. I know that I shure as hell slow down when i see one, and if the government wasnt so god dam worried about revenue raising there wouldn't be all these unmarked sneeky little so and soes popping up all over the place. Flahing the driver always endures they slow down and it save giving there hard earned money to the government and loosing there points. So all in all the people are still slowing down on ther roads as the police want yet its saving the pocket which isnt a bad thing now days. I will flash drivers to warn them of oncoming radar and I shure as would appreciate them to do the same
MRFGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2008, 03:06 PM   #29
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I think that if it helps people to slow down, this is what we should be doing. Why should people get punished for warning another driver to slow down?

It sounds like the cops dont like it when people interfere in their money making business.

I would have thought the governenment would be applauding the community for helping others realise that speeding is not the answer and to slow down. Not penalise them due to lost revenue.

This is an appauling attitude from the cops and the government and is proof that this is a scheme to raise revenue funds. They dont have the best interests of the motorist in mind but rather their pockets.

Greed is the underlying factor of this operation, and it stinks.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2008, 03:06 PM   #30
Jondalar
Formely FG G6E Turbo

I have actually seen recently on the Bruce Highway near Kallangur a speed camera van (inbound) and then just past it on the other side (outbound) a motorcycle cop sitting there waiting to chase anyone who flashed. I never flash around SEQ, it's just too risky, however out in the country it's the norm.

I go with the philosophy that speed camera's are morally wrong, if they catch someone doing 200 they do NOTHING to stop them when 2km down the road they could cause a fatality or worse. Speed camera's are solely revenue raising, otherwise why do they hide the van as much as possible? Fixed speed camera's on the other hand that there is a warning before, I cannot understand how so many still get caught at those.