Australian Ford Forums

Australian Ford Forums (https://www.fordforums.com.au/index.php)
-   Laser and Telstar (https://www.fordforums.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   91 KH Laser no spark!! (https://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11468825)

GrannyLeeBoo 11-12-2017 10:23 PM

91 KH Laser no spark!!

Hi guys. Have a kh laser that died on the highway with no warning. Checked for spark and got nothing. Replaced dizzy. Nothing. Replaced coil. Nothing. Replaced leads. Nothing. Used a light tester on coil and it has power on one plug. I am stumped. Any ideas???

russellw 12-12-2017 10:33 AM

Re: 91 KH Laser no spark!!

Assuming you've replaced the HT lead (coil to distributor) then the next thing is to check the main engine fuse. The distributor module (the black thing inside the distributor) can fail as well but if you replaced the distributor that's unlikely.

Cheers
Russ

GrannyLeeBoo 12-12-2017 01:44 PM

I did replace ht lead. I checked main fuse and it looks ok. Would it still crank if main fuse is blown? It still cranks just doesnt fire

Beastie 12-12-2017 03:27 PM

Pull a spark plug out, reconnect the ignition lead and hold it near the engine while someone cranks the engine. If there is spark, you should be able to see it 'earth' to the engine.

If there is spark, then it sounds like a fuel issue.

GrannyLeeBoo 12-12-2017 03:35 PM

It has no spark. Even after replacing everything

Beastie 12-12-2017 04:15 PM

The next thing you could check then is the wiring loom from the dizzy. Are there any broken wires or plugs?

GrannyLeeBoo 12-12-2017 04:36 PM

From dizzy to coil? No broken wires. The connections all look fine aswell. I will get contact cleaner and spray them just to be safe

GTLEGEND 12-12-2017 05:11 PM

I had a similar issue on my KH and it was the distributor module inside the dizzy. Did you replace the dizzy with a new or second hand unit and are you sure the dizzy you replaced it with does not have the same problem? Are you getting power to the dizzy and is it earthed ok?

Mechan1k 25-01-2018 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTLEGEND (Post 6049816)
I had a similar issue on my KH and it was the distributor module inside the dizzy. Did you replace the dizzy with a new or second hand unit and are you sure the dizzy you replaced it with does not have the same problem? Are you getting power to the dizzy and is it earthed ok?

Had the same issue with my Mum's KF GHIA .... it intermittently had issues starting ... and then just didn't start at all ... the Dizzy module back then was hard to get ... I had to get one from the wrecker at the time.