Australian Ford Forums

Australian Ford Forums (https://www.fordforums.com.au/index.php)
-   Ford Performance Club of ACT Owners Club Discussions (https://www.fordforums.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   XR6 to XR6 Turbo Impossible? (https://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11245836)

XRSIKS 07-01-2009 10:38 PM

XR6 to XR6 Turbo Impossible?

"The costing for that kind of custom work is expensive and is kind of
reinventing the wheel somewhat. Ford have done the hard yards in
desiging/building a turbo XR6 so the best option would be to either find a
BF turbo wreck and transplant the engine as required or to source a XR6T and
sell your XR6.

An estimate on drive in drive out with a second hand low kilometer turbo
engine transplant for your car would be $8900-$12900 depending on what other
options you wanted at the time."

WTF?

Professor Farnsworth 07-01-2009 10:41 PM

you can buy a whole xr6t for that kind of money

XRSIKS 07-01-2009 10:43 PM

Seriously, how hard can it be to put a turbo onto a BF XR6

XR8 Uterous 07-01-2009 11:06 PM

Not overly if you mechanically minded enough to do it yourself, otherwise the labour alone will be in the thousands of $$. Not inc. parts. Either way it will cost upwards of 3-4k BARE minimum. You could sell the XR6 for 15k easily, and 20k gets you into a BF Turbo. Easy choice IMO.

Ricks_Xr6t 07-01-2009 11:06 PM

Not worth it with the re-sale side of things,just trade it mate.

BPXR6T 07-01-2009 11:33 PM

I would definately recommend trading. Putting a turbo on your xr6 brings emissions tests, engineers reports, and insurance hassles that you can avoid by getting a factory turbo.

Be prepared for pain when they make you an offer on the trade. BA XR6T's can be had sub $10K nowadays. Performance upgrade is well worth it though.

data_mine 08-01-2009 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&BXR6
Seriously, how hard can it be to put a turbo onto a BF XR6

There's a fair few differences between a NA XR6 and the T version from factory. The engine itself is different (lower static compression better conrods and valve springs etc.), then there's the turbo, intercooler, pipework, ECU is different (it's got extra inputs and outputs, not just the tune), this means the engine loom is different too, gearboxes are different (auto's are strenthened, different torque converter, manuals get bigger clutches), diff is different (non turbo get s BW78, turbo and V8 get the BW84), those little turbo badges aren't cheap (lol).

I'm sure I've forgotten stuff. So parts will cost you a bit, plus it's essentially a full rebuild of the car, so labour will kill you. If you could do the work yourself it'd still probably take several weekends (car unusable for weeks).

As suggested, investigate a car swap instead, will be cheaper both now and in the long term.

XR6_661 08-01-2009 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by data_mine
There's a fair few differences between a NA XR6 and the T version from factory. The engine itself is different (lower static compression better conrods and valve springs etc.), then there's the turbo, intercooler, pipework, ECU is different (it's got extra inputs and outputs, not just the tune), this means the engine loom is different too, gearboxes are different (auto's are strenthened, different torque converter, manuals get bigger clutches), diff is different (non turbo get s BW78, turbo and V8 get the BW84), those little turbo badges aren't cheap (lol).

I'm sure I've forgotten stuff. So parts will cost you a bit, plus it's essentially a full rebuild of the car, so labour will kill you. If you could do the work yourself it'd still probably take several weekends (car unusable for weeks).

As suggested, investigate a car swap instead, will be cheaper both now and in the long term.

The engine loom is the same, only there is an 'extra' loom to control the turbo.

I looked into doing a turbo conversion. And it was a pretty easy job and woulda cost very little.

You do not need to run a turbo ECU. As long as you have something like a flash tuner, and a boost controller it'll work. Custom tunes are a must.

COuple of issues are the sump will need to be drilled and tapped for the oil drain line. And due to the higher compression of the N/A motor, boost levels must be kept lowish so as not to lunch it.

If anyone wants to know more, PM me. If you were gonna go turbo, but didnt want to buy a new car,doing the conversion would be the easiest solution.

Doing a transplant would just be a waste and not very cost effective.

Edit:- As far as I am aware, the 4spd autos are the same in N/A and T models. Only difference in driveline is the turbos come with a solid drive shaft (n/a's have a hollow) and LSD as standard.

XRSIKS 08-01-2009 06:10 PM

Problem with trade is im still paying this one off :P 4 years to go on the finance *sighs* by then i'll be over it and wanting a 8, hell, i'll probably be a holden fan by then >.> God forbid

Professor Farnsworth 08-01-2009 06:16 PM

Quote:

Problem with trade is im still paying this one off :P 4 years to go on the finance *sighs* by then i'll be over it and wanting a 8, hell, i'll probably be a holden fan by then >.> God forbid

is your BF a ZF ? If so i'd honestly be happy enough with that... do some power mods to it, enjoy it, then when it's paid off go for a T or an 8.

XRSIKS 08-01-2009 06:18 PM

Ok stupid question, but, zf?

Professor Farnsworth 08-01-2009 06:34 PM

Quote:

Ok stupid question, but, zf?

ZF Auto - 6 speed

data_mine 08-01-2009 06:37 PM

ZF = The 6 speed auto.

XRSIKS 08-01-2009 08:09 PM

Ah, no, 4 speed unfortunatly :(

So is there ANYTHING i can do to it then?
https://i429.photobucket.com/albums/...29889_2199.jpg my poor baby needs more GrUnT!

data_mine 08-01-2009 08:26 PM

Check out the other areas on this forum, there's specific topics about getting more power from the I6's in B series.

I don't think anyone in this club has a n/a BA/BF XR6.

vztrt 08-01-2009 08:33 PM

Quote:

Ah, no, 4 speed unfortunatly :(

So is there ANYTHING i can do to it then?
my poor baby needs more GrUnT!

Have a read in there.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=49929

Talk to Doogster (13.75 qtr unopened) or XRchic.

malazn mafia 13-01-2009 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BPXR6T
I would definately recommend trading. Putting a turbo on your xr6 brings emissions tests, engineers reports, and insurance hassles that you can avoid by getting a factory turbo.

Be prepared for pain when they make you an offer on the trade. BA XR6T's can be had sub $10K nowadays. Performance upgrade is well worth it though.

Where can i find an xr6t for less than $10K ?

FANTASY 13-01-2009 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malazn mafia

They are around, you just have to keep an eye out for them.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11245292

XRSIKS 16-01-2009 08:08 AM

"Scott.

The main mods to get the best performance out of your XR6 without a turbo or supercharger is:

- Custom cold intake $695
- Custom cold thermostat $120
- Full exhaust system fitted (headers, cat converter, cat back exhaust & tip) $1975 fitted
- Custom tune $990
- Flash box $695"

Expensive?

Doogstar 16-01-2009 08:34 AM

Well if you can't trade it for a turbo, perhaps a supercharger kit is the way to go. Will cost you about $5,000 for a Raptor or Capa kit, but you can fit it yourself if your are mechanically minded. You would get about 210+rwkw.

XRSIKS 16-01-2009 08:46 AM

"KF34 VORTECH SUPERCHARGERS - BA-BF XR6 & 6CYLS
The Vortech centrifical style supercharger package is a great setup for those wanting the thrill of forced induction supercharging from their BA-BF 6cyl. This package represents great value for the performance supplied.

The base kit includes all the components required for fitting the supercharger which is then custom tuned on our dyno to deliver you the best in performance.

Our tuning level on the base kit will deliver 305 fwkw of power at 8 psi of boost for the BA-BF 6cyls.

This package is a bolt on upgrade and can be fitted and tuned in 2 days.

KPM recommends this kit as a base for further upgrades and modifications if needed in the future.

Cost. $6995.00 inc. GST
Flash Tuning Software $995 extra if needed."

ashmann 18-01-2009 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malazn mafia

Not quite less than 10k... but a 2004 xt tricked up to look like an FPV with all the bodykit etc and interior, with an XR6Turbo motor in it for $15000... check it out...

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars...bo&distance=25

malazn mafia 18-01-2009 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FANTASY
They are around, you just have to keep an eye out for them.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11245292

Unbelievable.. :weirdo:, makes all the time and $$$ spent turning the xt into an xr6t seem such a waste.

BA-EXCOP 16-12-2019 06:02 PM

Re: XR6 to XR6 Turbo Impossible?

Quote:

Originally Posted by XR6_661 (Post 2475959)
The engine loom is the same, only there is an 'extra' loom to control the turbo.

I looked into doing a turbo conversion. And it was a pretty easy job and woulda cost very little.

You do not need to run a turbo ECU. As long as you have something like a flash tuner, and a boost controller it'll work. Custom tunes are a must.

COuple of issues are the sump will need to be drilled and tapped for the oil drain line. And due to the higher compression of the N/A motor, boost levels must be kept lowish so as not to lunch it.

If anyone wants to know more, PM me. If you were gonna go turbo, but didnt want to buy a new car,doing the conversion would be the easiest solution.

Doing a transplant would just be a waste and not very cost effective.

Edit:- As far as I am aware, the 4spd autos are the same in N/A and T models. Only difference in driveline is the turbos come with a solid drive shaft (n/a's have a hollow) and LSD as standard.

I have a few questions in relation to this as I have a BF 2 Fairmont Ghia which im part way through starting the conversion, if you could shed some light that'd be great!

happy1 17-12-2019 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XR6_661 (Post 2475959)

As far as I am aware, the 4spd autos are the same in N/A and T models.

That is incorrect. Yes you can fit the 4spd N/A trans in the Turbo model, but is internally different and has weaker clutches, so it will not last.

Cheers,

raised by monkeys 17-12-2019 10:54 AM

I think of all the little problems not forecasted i.e. doing maintenance and finding parts are different or not compatible. Less drama just buying an XR6t.

BA-EXCOP 17-12-2019 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happy1 (Post 6377480)
That is incorrect. Yes you can fit the 4spd N/A trans in the Turbo model, but is internally different and has weaker clutches, so it will not last.

Cheers,

Is it the same method with converting a ZF BFII to turbo as it is a BA?

macxr8 18-12-2019 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BA-EXCOP (Post 6377549)
Is it the same method with converting a ZF BFII to turbo as it is a BA?

YES, All the turbo boxes whether manual or auto are different to their N/A equivalents

BA-EXCOP 18-12-2019 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxr8 (Post 6377956)
YES, All the turbo boxes whether manual or auto are different to their N/A equivalents

Cheers,

What about the ecu and engine loom or passenger looms?

macxr8 02-04-2020 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BA-EXCOP (Post 6377978)
Cheers,

What about the ecu and engine loom or passenger looms?

yes also different. and BA-BF-FG ECU's are not compatible