Australian Ford Forums

Australian Ford Forums (https://www.fordforums.com.au/index.php)
-   The Pub (https://www.fordforums.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Raptor R V8 (https://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11499221)

Top_Ghia 20-10-2023 08:19 PM

Raptor R V8

Ford. It’s time. We are ready.
Bring us the 5.0 V8 Raptor we all want.
You know it fits. It bolts right up to the 10 speed. The demand for the V8 is real.
However, there is no reason to slug us with a R price premium as the V8 is cheaper to make than the ecoboost.
Bring it.

PooDog 20-10-2023 09:43 PM

Re: Raptor R V8

If the 5.0l fits then so will the Godzilla :fish

jpd80 21-10-2023 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top_Ghia (Post 6846505)
Ford. It’s time. We are ready.
Bring us the 5.0 V8 Raptor we all want.
You know it fits. It bolts right up to the 10 speed. The demand for the V8 is real.
However, there is no reason to slug us with a R price premium as the V8 is cheaper to make than the ecoboost.
Bring it.

My advice would be for you to start a petition to send to Ford so they can see how many serious buyers there are.

Occasionally, he’ll does freeze over…..

Top_Ghia 21-10-2023 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PooDog (Post 6846520)
If the 5.0l fits then so will the Godzilla :fish

A naturally aspirated gen 3 coyote would be fine. A lot of people just want the sound with a bit of performance and reliability.
It’s all there. All they have to do is calibrate it all and get it through emissions standards.

XR Martin 21-10-2023 04:50 PM

NA Coyote wouldn't be any faster than the ecoboost 3.0L, would sound a heap better though.

Top_Ghia 21-10-2023 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XR Martin (Post 6846625)
NA Coyote wouldn't be any faster than the ecoboost 3.0L, would sound a heap better though.

I agree on both counts. It may also drink a little more than the EB 3.0.
But many people just love V8’s. I’ve spoken to next gen Raptor owners who really like them but would switch to a V8 if given the choice.

DFB FGXR6 21-10-2023 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top_Ghia (Post 6846607)
A naturally aspirated gen 3 coyote would be fine. A lot of people just want the sound with a bit of performance and reliability.
It’s all there. All they have to do is calibrate it all and get it through emissions standards.

I don't get the appeal of the Godzilla, at least in a performance application.

Sure, Godzilla has big capacity, but in stock form it's a low revving slogger. A Coyote on the other hand is a very raunchy engine, sounds great and revs to the moon.

Think of it like this, the Barra 220 3V used in the BA Falcon was a torque monster, but it was pretty slow revving and tagged the rev limiter at 5250rpm. A Boss 260 or 290 on the other hand revved harder and faster, and sounded great in stock form too. This is not to knock the Barra 220, but as a performance orientated tool, it's not really all that exciting. Same applies to the Godzilla.

PooDog 22-10-2023 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 (Post 6846679)
I don't get the appeal of the Godzilla, at least in a performance application.

Sure, Godzilla has big capacity, but in stock form it's a low revving slogger. A Coyote on the other hand is a very raunchy engine, sounds great and revs to the moon.

Think of it like this, the Barra 220 3V used in the BA Falcon was a torque monster, but it was pretty slow revving and tagged the rev limiter at 5250rpm. A Boss 260 or 290 on the other hand revved harder and faster, and sounded great in stock form too. This is not to knock the Barra 220, but as a performance orientated tool, it's not really all that exciting. Same applies to the Godzilla.

Same block the 3v and 260/290 It's an undersquare mill that at high revs has too much piston velocity because of its 105mm stroke and only 90mm bore

The architecture of the Godzilla oversquare ar 7.3l 107mm bore 101mm stroke there are examples out there of it being revved to 7600 with headflow mods and valvetrain

It has options of capacities from 6.0 to probably 8.0l with different cranks it would still be a square engine like coyote.......the coyote is basically a destroked 5.4 ,

The Godzilla would make torque right through the power band even in a performance set up
The 5.4 has a very narrow power band because of the 4v heads the 3v makes far better torque down low because the block is designed to slug away in a truck

That's why it's exciting Godzilla, even being an iron block

Franco Cozzo 22-10-2023 02:41 PM

I like the intended application of the Godzilla, it would be perfect for the Ranger in Godzillas stock form as its a heavy commercial vehicle, you want that nice fat low down torque to make it nice to drive and get off the line in day to day driving, rather than say something like the Coyote where it revs to the moon and is very similar to Euro V8s, its not nice to live with on a day to day basis.

I didn't like the 4V in the XR8 Falcons, nothing below 4000 RPM then it takes off like a rocket, not the type of engine you wanted in a heavy car like the Falcon IMO and why the XR6 Turbo is the way better option.

PooDog 22-10-2023 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo (Post 6846816)
I like the intended application of the Godzilla, it would be perfect for the Ranger in Godzillas stock form as its a heavy commercial vehicle, you want that nice fat low down torque to make it nice to drive and get off the line in day to day driving, rather than say something like the Coyote where it revs to the moon and is very similar to Euro V8s, its not nice to live with on a day to day basis.

I didn't like the 4V in the XR8 Falcons, nothing below 4000 RPM then it takes off like a rocket, not the type of engine you wanted in a heavy car like the Falcon IMO and why the XR6 Turbo is the way better option.

Towing would be effortless , would probably be a lot of second hand Dodge Rams at Ford dealers, Coyote wouldn't have that effect

DFB FGXR6 22-10-2023 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo (Post 6846816)

I wasn't the greatest fan either. The main problem for me being the 2,000 rpm power band, slamming into the limiter at 6,000rpm. From BF onwards, when teamed with the ZF, it allowed for a 6250 transient limit, and the last Boss FG Boss 315 with the Ford GT crankshaft allowed for a 6500 rpm limit, giving some additional headroom. At least they sounded good, which is why the FPV GT outsold the F6.

With Coyote, Ford brought the stoke down, which made higer revs more pleasant. People tend to bag the Coyote for lacking torque, but with the VCT system that the 4V DOHC 5.4's lacked, you do get a decent amount of grunt down low, before stepping up at about 4,000 rpm and running right out to 7500rpm. It's a superb engine, one of my favorite Ford engines, and engines in general.

Not knocking the Godzilla, to frank I was surprised to learn Ford invested in a dirty great OHV, iron blocked V8 at this point. With the Godzilla, I would wonder if it has that "raunch" factor for a performance orientated vehicle. Yes, it would have lots of torque, but would it end up feeling flat and somewhat anticlimactic?

PooDog 23-10-2023 11:58 AM

https://www.holley.com/blog/post/go_...motor_company/

DFB FGXR6 03-11-2023 09:52 PM

This is an interesting Godzilla-relevant thread on Mustang 6g where the owner has fitted one to a S197 Mustang................

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/thr...0-guts.184284/

https://i.postimg.cc/jjPd5KNW/IMG-3623.jpg

DFB FGXR6 25-01-2024 08:21 PM

An update to the above post, the Godzilla powered Mustang...........

Sounds good, but see how lazy the thing is, even with the short gearing of the 10-speed auto. Really not in keeping with the Mustang in my opinion, especially when the Coyote, Voodoo and Predator engines are far raunchier and application appropriate.

CyberWasp 25-01-2024 09:11 PM

With Chrysler / Dodge ending V8 Production, a V8 Ranger makes even more sense now.

Ford are losing Hand over Fist on EV's at the moment so why not make some quick cash.

All they have to do is a few sums and come up with a quantity that they would have to manufacture to make a profit and say hey we need to build x amount of these to make it viable, who wants to place a deposit and see what happens.

Ford were able to make the Ranger in how many configurations for how many markets and all people are asking are for items that already exist. Would probably be less work than what they would have done on the Hybrid Drive Train.

Ford Engineer - The V6 Ecoboost is lighter, the vehicle handles better with it, the emissions are lower, it uses less fuel & has similar performance to the V8. There is no reason to consider it.

Public - Don't Care we want the V8.

Top_Ghia 25-01-2024 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberWasp (Post 6869803)
With Chrysler / Dodge ending V8 Production, a V8 Ranger makes even more sense now.

Ford are losing Hand over Fist on EV's at the moment so why not make some quick cash.

All they have to do is a few sums and come up with a quantity that they would have to manufacture to make a profit and say hey we need to build x amount of these to make it viable, who wants to place a deposit and see what happens.

Ford were able to make the Ranger in how many configurations for how many markets and all people are asking are for items that already exist. Would probably be less work than what they would have done on the Hybrid Drive Train.

Ford Engineer - The V6 Ecoboost is lighter, the vehicle handles better with it, the emissions are lower, it uses less fuel & has similar performance to the V8. There is no reason to consider it.

Public - Don't Care we want the V8.

Absolutely 100% spot on.
The biggest issue would be how similar in performance it would be to the 3.0 ecoboost. I’m not even sure it would be any better in a lot of ways.

However the same could be said about the F150 and there is certainly still a market for the 5.0 F150 in the USA.
Another big issue would be Ford has put the next gen Raptor engineers out to pasture. It really needed a couple of those guys to sneak one out on a weekend project to show the big wigs what is possible.
Those days are probably long gone.

I’ve talked to plenty of blokes who “just want the V8”. There is a market for it.

simon varley 25-01-2024 11:19 PM

a market? maybe a thousand or so in australia, but where else? How many would ford have to sell to cover the development and homologation costs?

Top_Ghia 26-01-2024 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simon varley (Post 6869824)
a market? maybe a thousand or so in australia, but where else? How many would ford have to sell to cover the development and homologation costs?

I think you could sell a couple of thousand a year in Australia pretty easily. I base that on the number of Raptors coming into the country and what I estimate people would want given the choice.

smoo 26-01-2024 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simon varley (Post 6869824)

How many markets is the current Raptor sold in?
Could it also be offered in North America and other LHD markets as a smaller and cheaper alternative to the F150 Raptor to justify R and D costs.
Would it be fair to say a V8 Raptor could make the V6 redundant on sales figures alone…
It must bug current raptor owners their utes sound like a $500 beaten up Magna with a hole in the exhaust. Bring on the V8.

EBSXR6 26-01-2024 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoo (Post 6870004)
It must bug current raptor owners their utes sound like a $500 beaten up Magna with a hole in the exhaust. Bring on the V8.

Sounds worse than a Ecotec Dunnydore. To pay all that money for the top of the line performance vehicle and have an exhaust note like that, I cringe everytime I hear one.

Franco Cozzo 26-01-2024 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EBSXR6 (Post 6870011)
Sounds worse than a Ecotec Dunnydore. To pay all that money for the top of the line performance vehicle and have an exhaust note like that, I cringe everytime I hear one.

It's the new 3.8L Ecotec, mang mang mang mang mang mang mang :afro

naddis01 26-01-2024 10:22 PM

I can't say I find the exhaust terrible. I don't mind how it sounds. It certainly sounds better than the last Raptor.

Ford would be smarter offering the Herrod upgrade as a Raptor R rather than a V8. Herrod have upgraded around 400 since August last year. They could probably charge $10k rather than the $6k that Herrod charges. Mine is going in on Tuesday for the upgrade.

Franco Cozzo 26-01-2024 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naddis01 (Post 6870060)
I can't say I find the exhaust terrible. I don't mind how it sounds. It certainly sounds better than the last Raptor.

Ford would be smarter offering the Herrod upgrade as a Raptor R rather than a V8. Herrod have upgraded around 400 since August last year. They could probably charge $10k rather than the $6k that Herrod charges. Mine is going in on Tuesday for the upgrade.

Ford Australia has never been keen to partner up with good aftermarket tuners like Ford Europe has for years with UK tuner Mountune, you can order some of their tuning packages from the dealership with the car and have it covered under the factory warranty.

Ford Australia did briefly with the WZ Fiesta ST, the sales team didn't even know it was an option.

Then discontinued for the WG Fiesta ST.

Herrod is to Ford Australia like what Mugen and Spoon are to Honda.

naddis01 26-01-2024 10:39 PM

I realise that. I worded that poorly. I meant Ford would be better off releasing a package the same as the Herrod upgrade. Intercooler, trans cooler and turn the wick up to around 380kw. Very little cost for them compared to releasing a V8 Raptor that wouldn't be as good and they could charge a premium.

Top_Ghia 26-01-2024 10:44 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...b74883bb86.jpg
My wife has stepped out of a Mustang GT and into a new Raptor this week.
So today I asked would you buy a Raptor V8 if it was offered.
Flip Yes she said without a second of thought.
That’s a real live Ford Performance customer who wouldn’t even consider the V6 if a V8 was offered. There are many like her.
Forget fuel economy, weight, handling, focus groups, logic or any of it. Go and talk to the people.
I believe the Ranger Raptor is now sold in the USA. They too love V8’s.

Franco Cozzo 26-01-2024 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naddis01 (Post 6870067)
I realise that. I worded that poorly. I meant Ford would be better off releasing a package the same as the Herrod upgrade. Intercooler, trans cooler and turn the wick up to around 380kw. Very little cost for them compared to releasing a V8 Raptor that wouldn't be as good and they could charge a premium.

Or just partner with Herrod, cover it under factory warranty and allow you to order it from the dealership,

Before you even take delivery of the car its off to Herrod for them to work their magic and it's covered under Ford's full factory warranty, you just tick the box and it's all rolled into finance/lease et al like they have with ARB.

XR Martin 27-01-2024 12:25 AM

Everest Raptor with a V8 please.

Fordman1 27-01-2024 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XR Martin (Post 6870085)
Everest Raptor with a V8 please.

It’ll NEVER happen

simon varley 27-01-2024 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fordman1 (Post 6870109)
It’ll NEVER happen

mmmmm, there's a V6 Everest Raptor somewhere. If I remember correctly, codename Whitetail

XR Martin 27-01-2024 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simon varley (Post 6870239)
mmmmm, there's a V6 Everest Raptor somewhere. If I remember correctly, codename Whitetail

https://i.redd.it/twss08q3p1ob1.gif