View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 07:57 AM   #28
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: "Autonomous" Cars - here now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEA View Post
Like I have said in my previous remarks there are so many variants to situations when driving that you have seconds to react to the mind boggles. Can you imagine the reaction there would be if for instance a situation arose that the automated vehicle should have responded or taken appropriate action to but didn't. 'Oh I'm so sorry for your loss apparently that situation must have been overlooked / hadn't occurred to us therefore the possible avoidance reaction to this incident wasn't uploaded into the software, sorry about that'.
Look I'm sorry I'm going on about this but this so called wizz-bang technology is nowhere close to being a safe automated alternative (to cars) for human transportation. I have a couple of friends who are associated although not directly with the logistics of this but have work mates that are and they are saying that the amount of different scenarios that have to be worked out so they can be incorporated into the software is so absolutely mind blowing that it will be a very long time before it gets to a high safety level standard that the public can, shall we say trust, to be so. Although there has been years of testing certain aspects of the so-called automated vehicle doesn't mean it's perfected far from it. Your lives are on the line here so don't be too trusting because if they've got it wrong you are going to be the one to find that out. As I've said before they'll have to prove to me they're safe before I'll set foot in one.
Anyway I'll stop here as it may be getting away from the point of this thread.
This is only my opinion folks.
I bet most human drivers haven't thought of many scenarios themselves and how to get out of the trouble they may find themselves in yet they get licenses and go out driving. I believe most collisions are a result of the hapless human not being developed enough to predict and react to hazards in enough time. Having spoken at length with Seimens engineers at the forefront of autonomous trials Ill bet on the autonomous vehicle avoiding the scenario rather than having to react to it!

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
6 users like this post: