View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 06:32 PM   #2
Trendseeker

Default Re: "Autonomous" Cars - here now?

I have the technology pack in my Escape and it has similar safety features to the Mondeo. It will definitely give you a more relaxed trip but it won’t provide autonomous driving.

The lane keeping assist will push the car back into your lane if it wanders over the line. It doesn’t disengage if you nudge the wheel but it can be turned off and on by a button on the indicator stalk. It works on straight and curving roads as long as there are lines on the road. It seems to recognise the kerb too. Another forum member who has a Ranger and whose wife has an Escape tells me that the “push” from the lane keeping assist is much more effective in the Ranger.

The autonomous braking works fine but it isn’t gentle; it feels like you’ve run over something and it is dragging under the car.

They’re great safety features but the adaptive cruise control is the one that will give you a more relaxed trip. It’s useful especially when the speed limits change along the motorway. You can set it to a limit and then allow the driver in front to slow down at road works sections and speed up when they end. You don’t need to touch the brake.

In summary, you’ll get a more relaxed drive but no snoozing.