View Single Post
Old 29-06-2022, 12:18 PM   #1
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Century Batteries

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but could not see anywhere else to put this.

Question is : Has anyone had issues with Century Batteries lately?

That ^^^^^ is the question if you do not want to read the whole back story I have below.

I purchased a Century Extra Heavy Duty Battery (67EF MF) two years ago almost to the day, replacing my original Motorcraft battery that was fitted to my BF GT when I purchased it new from Ford. So I got a great run out of that, the GT is always hooked up to a Trickle charger, a CTEK XS 0.8 (12V 800mA) Battery Charger, which I am sure contributed to the battery long life.

I have had bike batteries in my Harley last 10 years and my other classic car batteries usually last between 6-8 years using a number of these chargers (I have one for each car/bike).

About 10 months into the new battery it died, it would not start the car, would not hold or accept charge when driving, even refused to charge from my CTEK MXS 5.0 12V 5A Battery Charger that I use to charge flat or weak batteries I also tried the reconditioning function which did nothing.

Returned it to Supercheap, they wanted to keep it for 24 hours, they called me the following day stating the battery is dead and to come pick up a new one, which I did.

About a week ago (roughly 13-14 months later) the above scenarios repeated, battery died and left me stranded 500km from home. Went to Supercheap who said they need the battery for 24 hours to charge and test blaming my car, I did not have time for that so I bought a jump starter pack instead (Been wanting one for a while so I went that way) which got me home the next day.

Dropped the battery off at my local Supercheap yesterday and was told that the battery was dead and they would give me a replacement, but said that this would be the last one. I did not bother arguing about hypothetical scenarios so I took my new battery and left. I am going to contact Century batteries in writing in relation to this. I also checked online reviews and there seem to be countless stories like mine.

I thought I check here what peoples experiences are, I have used Century batteries since the 80's and never had these issues.

Also if you are still with me what would an alternative battery be that people would recommend? Was thinking about contacting Ford to see if they still sell Motorcraft batteries for these cars.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: