Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Has anyone noticed how much editing???

Ok tonight while watching the end of The Mummy Returns, i noticed that a lot of bits had been edited out.

This is now the third movie in as many weeks that i have noticed VERY HEAVY editing of parts which aren't really that gory. It doesnt appear to be one channel and time of transmission is at different times.

Is it just the station using a "daytime" Tv version? Or has the standard been made more difficult? Now like I said these bits which are missing arent that gory or extreme.

In Lethal Weapon 2(I think) a few weeks ago they edited out all the swear words in a conversation and replaced them with bleeps! but at the end of the convo a swear word (the F word) still got passed the censor.... So im really stumped.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2012, 11:49 PM   #2
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 
Default Re: Has anyone noticed how much editing???

We noticed it last night watching The Ugly Truth.

They edited out the best scene in the restuarant to the point, that I had to explain the rest of the scene to Jack as it really didn't make sense.

No idea why the feel the need to cut a movie short....and yet funnily enough...they will add more commercials at a piercing decibel!
Old 19-02-2012, 11:50 PM   #3
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise

No idea why the feel the need to cut a movie short....and yet funnily enough...they will add more commercials at a piercing decibel!
answered your own query there, the more they edit out, the more ads they can fit in, the more money they make...
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2012, 11:52 PM   #4
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I guess I did!
Old 20-02-2012, 12:04 AM   #5
Kryton

Dont understand why youd actually watch movies that are played on TV in the first place.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2012, 12:06 AM   #6
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Hahaha, you aint seen noting yet. If ever (really ever), the TV series "Game of Thrones" comes to our TV screens (FTA), it will be more ads than anything else.
It's just like an ancient Deadwood / Camelot type show. Lots of swearing, very heavy sex scenes and good ol' blood and guts.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2012, 12:20 AM   #7
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

For what it's worth there is a rather strong scientific link between guts/gore/graphic murders and general violence in society.
There is also a link between the advertising dollar, and TV companies staying in business.
Prob is on the one hand those money hungry media companies know that they want to show the biggest / bestest / most extreme goriest crap they can to attract the viewer, and thus sell advertising space.

To the point.
For years TV has been denying they are not responsible for increasing violence in society, as they claim that there is no link between what they screen, and it having an effect on their viewership.
At the same time they are happy to rake in millions of $$$$'s in advertising, telling companies that they can get that same viewership to purchase their product, simply by screening a 30second ad.

Strewth - I think it's time I went to bed. Sounds like there's nothing worth watching on tele...
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was watching Southland, great TV drama series about the LAPD. It was on at 2am. Swear words were beeped out.

Raiders of the Lost Ark the other night. Face-melting part was cut out. God only knows what they did to Rambo II.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets
Was watching Southland, great TV drama series about the LAPD. It was on at 2am. Swear words were beeped out.

Raiders of the Lost Ark the other night. Face-melting part was cut out. God only knows what they did to Rambo II.
Really?? That's sad. Why bother watching. This is why I only watch live sport on tv these days. I will decide what I want to see, not some goob who thinks he knows what's best for me.
Old 20-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #10
z80
Banned

even with all the foxtel channels there is nothing worth watching.
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #11
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets
Yes i noticed that bit was gone too... I mean it was a wax work dummy which was being melted... hardly gory at all.

I doubt it is to do with more advertising time....

They showed "Kellys heros" last week (Clint eastwood, telly savalas) and the shoot out with the germans at the mine field was 3/4 cut out! In the orginal there is barely any blood shown at all...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #12
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Watching a movie with ads in it and scenes cut is so 90's...

It's not that expensive to go hire a dvd these days.
Old 20-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #13
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I borrow movies from mates or rent. I like my movies unedited, all the gore, all the swearing, all the violence. If I wanted to see heavy editing id watch my kitchen rules.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #14
myxr6
Banned

I hate it when they go to ad while the people are still talking or it clearly isn't the end of the scene.
myxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2012, 02:32 AM   #15
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos
For what it's worth there is a rather strong scientific link between guts/gore/graphic murders and general violence in society.
LOLS. Thats right, prior to TV and video games, society wasnt violent at all
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2012, 02:34 AM   #16
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As for the bleeping out of swear words, thats how alot of American shows are, and they'd be just showing the same version here.

Old 21-02-2012, 06:46 AM   #17
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Society has always had an element of violence, the difference being the overall level of violence being committed, and the age of those participants.
There weren't tooo many recorded cases of a child running amok with one of his tribemates armed with a bow & arrow, and killing 30+ of his tribe.
The link is in the desensitisation of younger audiences, due to the ready accessibility of explicitly detailed violent scenes.
Once upon a time exposure to the level of desensitisizng brutality, was limited to those that went to war(ie adults). now those scenes of full on guts, & gore are available to younger, more susceptable children, who grow up believing it is the norm.
Back in the day children would still witness killing for food, and even playfight etc, yet safeguards were in place to stop them if someone got hurt.
The difference is in how the tv(and video games) are effectively training to kill, without the safeguards...
Don't fool yourself into believing that I am a wowser, or anti video game etc. There is a time & place - but pitching it as "harmless" entertainment?? Might as well convince the world that there is no link between smoking & harmful effects on your health.
Old 21-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #18
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There weren't tooo many recorded cases of a child running amok with one of his tribemates armed with a bow & arrow, and killing 30+ of his tribe.
Because records from that time are so comprehensive The fact you'd even use it as an example shows a severe lack of thought on the subject.
Even if that was true, which you can in no way verify; factors other than video games/TV would be far greater. The fact that a semi-automatic bows and arrow never existed, the far less density of people at the time (which I think you'll find has a much greater influence on violence than just about anything - a town of 5000 people doesnt have 1% of the violence of a city of 500000 ), and the fact that people were unlikey to be bulling their peers over such trivial matters as the colour of their shirt, or the size of their nose etc.

However there are plenty of recorded cases of tribes wiping out each other, prior to tv/games, hell they are still doing it in Africa. And I dont think they are watching episodes of Dexter or playing Grand Theft Auto prior to going on a rampage.

Quote:

Don't fool yourself into believing that I am a wowser, or anti video game etc. There is a time & place - but pitching it as "harmless" entertainment?? Might as well convince the world that there is no link between smoking & harmful effects on your health.
And now your comparing it to the dangers of smoking? A habit where atleast 50% of people are permanently effected by? Are you serious? TV and video games might permanently effect .0001% of people....

Old 21-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #19
T-Pak Addict
Jim

Its been happening for years....

I remember watching several classics that had the same treatment...
The Castle (aussie classic) had the Photo copier scene cut to shreds (that was one of the funniest scenes) due to lots of swearing... Even cut it on video WTF

Freedom (Made in SA) had a scene where the main charactor went into the CES (aka centrelink) and went off his friggin dial (every second word was the F word) and later when I seen it on TV he walked in and walked out.... There was no bleeping that scene....

And they are just 2 that I remember off the top of my head and that was in the ninety's.....

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #20
wulos
Forum Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Because records from that time are so comprehensive The fact you'd even use it as an example shows a severe lack of thought on the subject.
Even if that was true, which you can in no way verify; factors other than video games/TV would be far greater. The fact that a semi-automatic bows and arrow never existed, the far less density of people at the time (which I think you'll find has a much greater influence on violence than just about anything - a town of 5000 people doesnt have 1% of the violence of a city of 500000 ), and the fact that people were unlikey to be bulling their peers over such trivial matters as the colour of their shirt, or the size of their nose etc.

However there are plenty of recorded cases of tribes wiping out each other, prior to tv/games, hell they are still doing it in Africa. And I dont think they are watching episodes of Dexter or playing Grand Theft Auto prior to going on a rampage.

And now your comparing it to the dangers of smoking? A habit where atleast 50% of people are permanently effected by? Are you serious? TV and video games might permanently effect .0001% of people....
You are correct in one thing - there are a lot of factors behind violent behaviours other than just television, or just video games.

That being said - NOWHERE have I claimed that tv, or video games were responsible for each and every act of violence.

Rather than jumping to extremist conclusions(or going any further with the personal attacks / insults) - do us all a favour, & check to see if there is any substance behind what I have posted.

Ther evidence of a link between media violence, and violence in society isn't that hard to find, if you wish to look...