Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-06-2010, 07:00 PM   #31
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

The interior is getting better, the vents bug me and would stop me getting one its the same reason I wouldn't have a focus or mondeo as they have the same stupid design.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:01 PM   #32
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

That damn handbrake! Even the one eyed Holden boys cannot like that! Nor that horrible shifter. IMO the VZ leather booted shifter was a great looking shifter design, much better than VE's cheap plasticky design.

The whole interior of the "new" VE reeks of cheap and rushed. I highly doubt there will be a V6 turbo, they will rely on GM's army of V8's to stick it to fords T6 and new coyote.

We shall see what happens in the future, but I won't be sold on that VE interior whilst G series is so good!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2010, 07:05 PM   #33
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Those round vents look very out of place, would look more at home on the Starship Enterprise!
Old 07-06-2010, 07:06 PM   #34
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
The whole interior of the "new" VE reeks of cheap and rushed. I highly doubt there will be a V6 turbo, they will rely on GM's army of V8's to stick it to fords T6 and new coyote.
There was an article where the V6T wasn't coming here.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:18 PM   #35
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
There was an article where the V6T wasn't coming here.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Can anyone handy with a computer mirror image that first shot? So we get a better idea of how it will look?
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:37 PM   #36
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Actually having a look it was an NA motor that I was reading. The V6TT is a possibility and is said to have 280kw and 480nM of torque.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:48 PM   #37
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interior isn't all that different.
Bit of a different colour scheme...

I remember looking at a few VEs and by gum...the interior of the Omega was terrible. I truly prefer the VTII's interior.

I think this is just a case of polishing a **** (t-word for a piece of poo).

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #38
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Driving VEs everyday I reckon while the interiors arent the best, Ive definitely seen worse. Interiors have never been a Commodore strong suit though.

Those round vents dont suit the car at all. Should of spent the money on the centre console area. Handbrake isnt just bad to look at/use but is a terrible design. We've had a few worn out already and is a bit of a job to pull apart. Central window controls are very 90s.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #39
Wardo

Still has the things I hate, the stupid handbrake and the uncomfortable shape of the shifter.
I wonder if the steering wheel is still a strange shape and if the door handles still look out of place, they are so small compared to everything else in the cabin.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #40
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One decent chunder on the way home from the pub.... Fixed!!
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2010, 08:43 PM   #41
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Interior isn't all that different.
Bit of a different colour scheme...

I remember looking at a few VEs and by gum...the interior of the Omega was terrible. I truly prefer the VTII's interior.

I think this is just a case of polishing a **** (t-word for a piece of poo).
The new Omega/Berlina/Calais/V spec cars will feature neat rectangular air vents, mounted above a new wide touch screen. The screen will be monochrome on Omega, and colour on higher spec levels. I know, because I followed a thinly disguised Omega Sportwagon home on the Eastern Freeway on Friday, and noticed the 'new' interior.

But I think I prefer my current SS dash to this new MY11 one....
Old 07-06-2010, 08:49 PM   #42
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One thing I think everyone has ignored is "touch screen"... I love the sound of that & is a big advantage over Falcon at the moment. Especially with the younger (me) generation.

Not a fan of the ovan vents, looks Mondeo-ish, which I'm not a fan of..
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2010, 09:00 PM   #43
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Come on guys, take the blinkers off for a minute. How can it not be an improvement?

Old 07-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #44
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
One thing I think everyone has ignored is "touch screen"... I love the sound of that & is a big advantage over Falcon at the moment. Especially with the younger (me) generation.

Not a fan of the ovan vents, looks Mondeo-ish, which I'm not a fan of..
While i agree that its a techno heads dream, in practical terms its **** in my opinion and im not just saying that because its a holden. A touch screen requires a person to take their eyes off the road. I have two ipods a 120g classic and a touch ... i can tell you now ill never use the touch in the car. terrible!
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2010, 09:08 PM   #45
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
Holden won't be looking at a turbo V6..it'd smoke their V8 they don't want that.

Exactly, At Ford we are pretty easy going like that but with them being used to so many decades of only V8's they would have a marketing nightmare
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2010, 10:35 PM   #46
JimNiki
71Mach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF_302
Those round vents look very out of place, would look more at home on the Starship Enterprise!
Mate! I'm a bit of a trekky!
Please don't insult our beloved NCC 1701{x**

(you know the enterprise class ship was built by Ford (stardate 2225)
Ford developed the warp drive which allowed deep space travel.
Holden and Toyota are still refining the Hybrid Camry and clean diesel Commodore!
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
JimNiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2010, 10:55 PM   #47
g220ba
FGX XR8

I'm sure there'd be more change than shown in the photo's, but if that's all they've managed in the last fews years i couldn't see any reason to upgrade to a "new commodore".

You'd really hope they've done some pretty extensive ride, NVH and quality improvements if that's the extent of their interior change. A touch screen is a good idea in theory but a good driving experience will leave a longer lasting impression than a couple of extra gizmo's, the novelty wears off pretty quickly for me.

I'll reserve my judgement until official shots are released.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2010, 11:12 PM   #48
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiadude
While i agree that its a techno heads dream, in practical terms its **** in my opinion and im not just saying that because its a holden. A touch screen requires a person to take their eyes off the road. I have two ipods a 120g classic and a touch ... i can tell you now ill never use the touch in the car. terrible!
I'd rather a touch screen to the hand held remote control operation of the Ford factory satnav any day.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2010, 11:18 PM   #49
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

I don't hate the change. Its certainly an improvement (though certainly too late IMO) over what they have now. Assuming that not all models get the round air vents (i don't dislike them in principle but they need to fit the nature of the car....generally smooth flowing lines....not VE!) then its ok by me.

However, the biggest issues with the VE interior may not have been adressed. The handbrake was very poor design, and the centre mounted window switches are very old school and not appropriate on a modern car (my EF has them and its definitely a pain versus an AU onwards etc.). The A pillar obviously couldn't be altered so they still have that issue. Finally, while you can't tell from the photos, traditionally HOlden has cut corners on the interior trim and plastic quality, as much as the design. It looks ok but what does it feel like....i remembe when VE launched i was at a motorshow and can honestly say the plastic quality in the then 'outdated' BF was much much better than the VE. In fact everything from HVAC control nobs to vent switches etc. was substandard versus just about every other car there....inluding hyundais and mitsus etc. Many of these brands were nominaly 'inferior'.

If Holden don't upgrade the dash plastics (and fit them together better....that chrome strip in most VEs is poorly aligned from factory) then its all worth nought. Apart from the lower dash/centre console area the FG has very nice touch surfaces...as did the BF before that, or even the AU (yes there were good things in that car AU haters!). If you go find a VS commodore and compare it to a EF (both cars now 15years old) you can see that generation for generation the GMH product has the inferior interior. Given the VE design was penned by the same interior designer that did the BA (poached from Ford), you can see my point. Its all about company standards, budgets etc. GMH does NOT do good interiors. Be shocked if this one was any different.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 01:00 AM   #50
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My Fez has centre air vents like that !!!!
Old 08-06-2010, 01:01 AM   #51
Gaz
Got Ghia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
Thanks for clearing that up.
Can anyone handy with a computer mirror image that first shot? So we get a better idea of how it will look?

Also glad I'm not the only one that hates the mondeo/focus rounded vents.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:12 AM   #52
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
Also glad I'm not the only one that hates the mondeo/focus rounded vents.
Thanks mate.

Aarghh..that damn handbrake. Makes me want to punch the bloke
who designed it. Multiple times.
Game. Reinvented.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:35 AM   #53
SVD

i have a touchscreen in my car...wish i didn't :( its a massive pita! try using it when going on a road with small bumps and it is a NIGHTMARE! i believe a remote for the sat nav is a good idea, just like having a remote for the car stereo makes life much easier after you've learnt the buttons...
SVD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 02:10 AM   #54
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
King oath, how can anyone think that handbrake looks good.. seriously! it has to be the ugliest POS ever

Absolutely!!
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 02:53 AM   #55
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVD
i have a touchscreen in my car...wish i didn't :( its a massive pita! try using it when going on a road with small bumps and it is a NIGHTMARE! i believe a remote for the sat nav is a good idea, just like having a remote for the car stereo makes life much easier after you've learnt the buttons...
you beat me , i was going to say touch screen is not such a good thing in a moveing car , my brothers soarer has it, buttons you can feel with your hand, touch screen you have to look at at the screen, human machine interface would be tops surely.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 04:20 AM   #56
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
I'd rather a touch screen to the hand held remote control operation of the Ford factory satnav any day.
I agree. For satnav it is needed to key in data like street names. But for HVAC and stereo I say a definite NO!
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 08:54 AM   #57
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

round vents on my F150 look great. On that Commodore, they look crap. I think it's the execution of the design, not the design itself. Like just making them circular was priority #1, forget everything else.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 09:11 AM   #58
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
Holden won't be looking at a turbo V6..it'd smoke their V8 they don't want that.
When ford released the XR6 Turbo it smoked the boss motor but they did it anyway, don't see why it would worry holden. Not to mention that their current V8 offerings are way ahead of the 2002 spec boss in performance terms.
JBomb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 09:21 AM   #59
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I seriously don't see why people get their knickers in a bunch about the handbrake. IMO, it's good that it integrates with the centre console when it's disengaged.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 10:08 AM   #60
anto
Za Dom spremni

holy molly ! that interior would do bob the builder proud, what with all the giant oversize knobs,vents and buttons, not to mention the nasty cheap plastic of the original interior! The falcon and Como really are worlds apart in terms of style.
shudder
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post