Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-09-2012, 12:01 AM   #31
stang65
FPRJET

Default Re: New VW for $13,990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
How do you know its a death trap?
Sorry not being VW specific, applies to any car that size. That is not a car it`s a go kart with metal around it. A new Mini would probably destroy it on impact.
Old 20-09-2012, 02:06 AM   #32
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER
~ 70% of cars already sold in the light class in Australia are manual tranny.

They buy on prices

Seems zippy enough, even got the traction-control to work...lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84a4DjIgl6w

I would say auto will come in the future

Ford are going to need to bring in the Ka me think, wont be able to sell the Fiesta that low
Ka won't be coming until they make a sub-compact platform off of the Fiesta platform. The current Ka is built on Fiat's 500 bones.

It gets about the same mileage as a diesel Fiesta, but you get a bigger car in the Fiesta, so that may make it a better option to some.
Old 20-09-2012, 02:47 AM   #33
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can't drive around being terrified of accidents...I have a sister in law whose basic need when she bought a new car was at least six airbags....forget economy, forget quality, forget everything else. She has only been in my old Celica once (grudgingly, when we went to pick up her VW Golf from a service), and was literally frightened when we were in traffic up town.

VW will sell boatloads of these things, as well they should.

The number of Tiguans and Amaroks I've seen out here is staggering. I saw an Amarok at Emerald the other day outside the new VW dealership with a big sign on the door saying "I am 8 speed auto!"..bloody hell...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #34
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I stand corrected, there is an equivalent Seat as well, the Mii. All 3 have identical secondary safety rating under NCAP, "5 star":

http://www.euroncap.com/viewcomparab...1-91fb7ae39dc3
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2012, 07:59 AM   #35
RASER
Banned

Smile Re: New VW for $13,990

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
I stand corrected, there is an equivalent Seat as well, the Mii. All 3 have identical secondary safety rating under NCAP, "5 star":

http://www.euroncap.com/viewcomparab...1-91fb7ae39dc3
We know!

Check my earlier post, i even posted its crash test, TCS at work, and the BEST thing the laser guide anti-bunupthearse feature
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #36
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We know!

Check my earlier post, i even posted its crash test, TCS at work, and the BEST thing the laser guide anti-bunupthearse feature
Thanks, my bad. Obviously my attention span doesn't extend to 2 pages of a thread!
Old 20-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #37
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NCAP is a load of rubbish. Only works if the same car crashes against the same car, at least in head on and offset crashes.

Pole test, which is optional is a good test though. Of course the car maker can just put in a seatbelt reminder bell to give it an extra star!!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #38
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

someone needs to photshop some teeth into the black lips on the front of that thing, it will look like Mick Jagger! A bit of white contact and a night with some beers and scissors and the neighbors new VW will have a smile!
mash again is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #39
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
NCAP is a load of rubbish. Only works if the same car crashes against the same car, at least in head on and offset crashes.

Pole test, which is optional is a good test though. Of course the car maker can just put in a seatbelt reminder bell to give it an extra star!!
I don't place a lot of store in NCAP/ANCAP secondary safety tests. Most new cars will be 5 star or near-as nowadays. I see primary safety as much more important, as well as the fact of physics that a little Daihatsu (or Up for that matter) will not come out well against a Range Rover, no matter how many stars it has.
Old 20-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #40
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I don't agree with seatbelt reminder being a 1 star instant prize, thats BS and has nothing really to do with the safety of the car.

The only time I don't wear a seatbelt is when I'm driving a car into the workshop.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 01:12 AM   #41
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova 8
I dont do small cars period, firstly im >6ft and secondly, i dont feel safe. A friend bought on of those "smart" cars, she asked if i wanted to go for a drive with her. I got in, turn round and lent and touched the back window... I got out.
The smart car has 8 air-bags and it's tridion safety cell can withstand three and half tonnes of force.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/13/2...-size-new-ads/

Those little things are like armoured suits with wheels.
Old 21-09-2012, 03:13 AM   #42
Nova 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
The smart car has 8 air-bags and it's tridion safety cell can withstand three and half tonnes of force.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/13/2...-size-new-ads/

Those little things are like armoured suits with wheels.
That's great, so the car stays in one piece while I'm shaken to bits inside like jelly in a cup. What force does a 2 tonne car have when they hit you at 80km. I am not frightened to drive a small car nor do I need a mass of airbags to feel safe. Little cars are just a place I'd rather not be.
Old 21-09-2012, 04:56 AM   #43
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova 8
Little cars are just a place I'd rather not be.
You'd probably be better off in a new small car with airbags all round than, say, a 1990s Landcruiser with none. The 4WD, with a rigid chassis, leaves your body to do the energy absorption work, which isn't very medically good for it. If it rolls or is hit from the side you'll get brained on the bulkhead or door which isn't very medically good for the brain. If you want a big car you need to go for something very recent with all these features on board. So you can't generalise between big and small except for the mass factor if one hits another.
Old 21-09-2012, 06:36 AM   #44
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
You'd probably be better off in a new small car with airbags all round than, say, a 1990s Landcruiser with none. The 4WD, with a rigid chassis, leaves your body to do the energy absorption work, which isn't very medically good for it. If it rolls or is hit from the side you'll get brained on the bulkhead or door which isn't very medically good for the brain. If you want a big car you need to go for something very recent with all these features on board. So you can't generalise between big and small except for the mass factor if one hits another.
Landcruiser 80 series will use small cars crumple zones which is not good for a small car ... What people are not telling you is that laws of physics still apply and larger mass vehicles generally win (if you can call that a win) .
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 06:44 AM   #45
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68
What people are not telling you is that laws of physics still apply and larger mass vehicles generally win (if you can call that a win) .
Yes, I said that. But the people inside the Landcruiser are also subject to forces in a crash and if the car doesn't "give" the bodies will.
Old 21-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #46
pursuit2359

Kinda obvious, but I like this headline: Volkswagen up! Yours for $13,990 (source: http://wikicars.biz/news.php#!conten...article&pno=98)
pursuit2359 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #47
Rodge
Banned

Regardless of the crash star rating the reaearch is that cars need adequate sized crumple zones if people are to avoid mega G forces being applied to their bodies.

A five star rated Honda Civic is as small as I am comfortable being in or my family driving. Has rated well in all tests.

I suppose if you must go smaller a Ford Fiesta would make do but this...no bloody way !!

Last edited by Rodge; 21-09-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #48
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65
Sorry not being VW specific, applies to any car that size. That is not a car it`s a go kart with metal around it. A new Mini would probably destroy it on impact.
What utter nonsense. Small/micro sized cars of today are much safer than large cars of 10-15 yrs ago.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #49
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
What utter nonsense. Small/micro sized cars of today are much safer than large cars of 10-15 yrs ago.

Mass plays a big role and small car is a light car in most cases. 10 yo large cars are not that old - BA Falcon less safe then current micro/small cars ? Think again...
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #50
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter
Except I'd bet 90% of the 18 year old girls don't have a manual license. It's manual only.
Once off Red P-Plates there is no such thing as a 'manual license' in NSW.

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 11:20 PM   #51
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68
Mass plays a big role and small car is a light car in most cases. 10 yo large cars are not that old - BA Falcon less safe then current micro/small cars ? Think again...
Mass plays a part yes but if that Falcon doesn't have airbags and the small car does, the score's evened out somewhat.

I've been trying to find a photo I saw a couple of years ago of a small VW T-boned by a 42 tonne tram at speed when it tried to cross the tracks. The side airbags deployed and saved the driver. Even if it was a Landcruiser, if it had no side airbags the driver would have been brained - possibly to death.

A bit too much faith being placed in mass alone in this thread. Yeah OK is some situations, in others not, you can't generalise so readily.
Old 21-09-2012, 11:24 PM   #52
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
This is what the market is looking for, cheap and very cheerful

But its a stunning vehicle for China price as a bonus.

They will sell zillions of them, buy korean or this...can i phone a friend...NOT!

Just keeps pushing the price point down and down, screws the 2nd hand market and trade in values

http://www.carsales.com.au/reviews/2...h-review-32512

Built in the same factory as Porsche, and is fitted with laser guide system!

I like, its enough car for 75% of the population

Cheap on price to purchase & cost you a heap to service!!!
Nothing to rave about.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2012, 12:05 AM   #53
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Cant wait for the 6 spd GT version to come out here (sub Polo GTi pricing).
http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...gt_review.html

I like the Lupo GT (GTi?) back in the day too, which was a short wheelbase Polo.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2012, 01:35 AM   #54
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

I wouldn't be caught dead in that thing.

Last edited by kaniSS; 22-09-2012 at 01:42 AM.
kaniSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2012, 02:13 AM   #55
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah no its good for little euro streets but get it on BIG BUMPY aussies roads and it will fall apart not to meantion it wont hold up very well if a truckie decides to squad this little bug... like a little bug.
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #56
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconnut
yeah no its good for little euro streets but get it on BIG BUMPY aussies roads and it will fall apart not to meantion it wont hold up very well if a truckie decides to squad this little bug... like a little bug.
Fall apart? Seriously? Is it 1982? I'd back VWs build quality over Fords, based on my experiences, and numerous other maligned members experiences on here... What does the Golf(and Polo) always get praised on in reviews? That's right: build quality. The Up won't be any different.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #57
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If a vehicle with no crumple zone hits a vehicle with one, the crumple zone vehicle is going to be working twice as hard to absorb the forces.

What im saying is, if 2 equal sized vehicles with crumple zones collide head on, say it uses 50% of the usable crumple on each vehicle. Now if equal sized vehicles collide, one with and one without crumple zones, you may now be using ALL of the avaliable crumple on the one vehicle with a crumple zone.

Crumple zones don't break the laws of physics, the forces are going to go somewhere.

Now the example of a landcruiser was used. At 2.5T versus <1T... What is going to happen? You will probably be using 150% of the crumple zoned vehicles avaliable crumple (ie, the extra 50% is the small car occupants legs and head)

That's not even factoring in the height difference, or the fact that almost all 20+ year old landcruisers have been fitted with a bullbar at some stage. Meaning the bar will likely ride up and over the bonnet of the smaller car, not fully utilizing the crumple zone anyway.

THEN the fact that most collisions are nose to tail.
Small car rear seat occupants (usually your kids) sit much closer to the rear, particularly this new VW! How far is your head from the glass.... Or that 2.5T landcruisers bullbar?
Reverse the scenario, rear seat occupants of the cruiser are what... 1.5m from the rear of the vehicle?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #58
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconnut
Fall apart on our roads.... that made me i wouldnt want to be in any car is hit by a truck.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #59
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Fall apart on our roads.... that made me i wouldnt want to be in any car is hit by a truck.
Been there done that. Got rammed big time by a Volvo fm truck at a set of lights in a 2011 corolla. Looking in the rear mirror he would have been doing 20 km/h at time of impact. The corollas boot was basically non existant but I got out a bit dizzy but unscathed. Felt like getting king hit by a full sized Samoan. Impact busted his radiator and he had to get towed but the mighty corolla drove off with a squashed boot and stoved in front from hitting the Kia Sorrento in front, which in turn hit a vx ute forward through the red light. Either I have underestimated the amount of engineering that has gone into the humble corolla, or this was a case of divine intervention? Lucky it wad in my old mans corolla and not my falcon or it would have been a case of aggravated assault (if the falcon had held up the same way the rolla did )

Last edited by malazn mafia; 22-09-2012 at 10:10 AM.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #60
Nova 8

I was in a 90 series landcrusier as a passenger and we had at car that pull out in front of us which was a BA falcon. We hit it at 80km and we walked away fine, when something as large as a FWD hits a smaller car the stop isnt instant (for the fwd at least). We pushed the falcon over the kerb and down an enbankment allowing for a "slowed" deceleration and fully utilzing the falcons passenger seat as our crumble zone. Luckily there was no passengers in the falcon but if there was no number of airbags would have saved thier lives. Falcon driver had "minor" injuries - Also, we drove the landcrusier onto the tow truck...