Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-08-2014, 08:36 PM   #1
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 
Default Re: Common Problems with the AU??

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hotxr6 View Post
Well maybe you have just proved my point, as i have never had it happen to me, as i have had a few fords through my life time, but then i have never thrashed my fords, and all ways allow for a proper stopping distance, unlike some whom i have driven with and try to stop on the dot. Or maybe you have just been unlucky..
like i said it's nothing (or very rarely) to do with how it's driven, all it takes is running through a puddle with hot brakes, boom, done. I don't thrash my cars, the only one that has seen some heavy braking and mountain driving is my XR Turbo, and that's the only one that HASN'T warped.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2014, 08:40 PM   #2
red_hotxr6
Banned

hey, fair enough..not trying to disprove, actually i wondered about the water on the open brakes/rotors when i was washing the car.
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #3
red_hotxr6
Banned

Maybe it has to do with the brakes and the rotors being exposed as compared to the EL ghia,s having that shielding on them..
Old 18-08-2014, 09:06 PM   #4
red_hotxr6
Banned

See here we go again, i have had my el ghia for 2 1/2 years, 280,000 and no problems there at all, and the rwc said the brakes were at 88% when i bought it and still have them on..could it be the weather, like i am in qld???
Old 18-08-2014, 09:25 PM   #5
red_hotxr6
Banned

True could have been too..
Old 18-08-2014, 09:31 PM   #6
red_hotxr6
Banned

from what i hear they are very good..and i will bear that in mind, get them checked any way..the rwc, didnt come up with that as a problem
Old 17-10-2014, 12:53 PM   #7
red_hotxr6
Banned

Amazing what a little bit of persevering can do, and, you did it..lol/..
This user likes this post:
Old 16-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #8
witenden
Starter Motor

Gents, I have an AUII and the central locking failed...I replaced the failed gear assembly and it works fine...but... now the key won't lock or unlock the unit...any clues???
Paul.
witenden is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2014, 09:35 PM   #9
Wolfghost
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by witenden View Post
Gents, I have an AUII and the central locking failed...I replaced the failed gear assembly and it works fine...but... now the key won't lock or unlock the unit...any clues???
Paul.
Did you replace the actuators and key barrel lock assembly
Wolfghost is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #10
witenden
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfghost View Post
Did you replace the actuators and key barrel lock assembly
I replaced the white plastic gear in the actuator only, when the remote actuates the lock it holds out the mechanism for the key and the push down button on the door.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2014, 12:14 AM   #11
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

sounds like the link rod that comes off the lock barrel was removed but not refitted?? If the key turns in the lock then that's it - if it doesn't turn then it was maybe refitted incorrectly. (Probably should be on it's own thread this question)
TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2014, 09:49 AM   #12
witenden
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverT2TE50 View Post
sounds like the link rod that comes off the lock barrel was removed but not refitted?? If the key turns in the lock then that's it - if it doesn't turn then it was maybe refitted incorrectly. (Probably should be on it's own thread this question)
Thanks bloke, but the rods are connected and work if I fudge it. How do I make this as it own thread?
Old 22-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #13
TRAU BLAU

Just booked in for a Cat.Back exhaust system to be fitted.I've been quoted $420,$395 & I'm getting it done for $340.Which includes the 2 lengths;1/with small box & big box & 2nd with small box.With the rusted out holes that have made it sound like a V8 it's been losing power & fuel economy.Hopefully they will improve with new system.
TRAU BLAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2014, 09:22 AM   #14
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

Anyone have had problems with heater valves? mine is leaking from it but not sure if the valve is cracked or the hose is worn. Will check later tonight.
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2014, 09:50 AM   #15
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese3 View Post
Anyone have had problems with heater valves? mine is leaking from it but not sure if the valve is cracked or the hose is worn. Will check later tonight.
Check to see if your heater is working, if not its the tap & if it is, the pipe needs replacing.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2014, 11:49 AM   #16
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Check to see if your heater is working, if not its the tap & if it is, the pipe needs replacing.

cheers, Maka
I'll add that if its cracked it'll still heat but leak so as soon as you suss it out you'll know what the go is, i'm going heater tap failure of some sort!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2014, 10:54 AM   #17
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese3 View Post

Mine cracked a few years ago and it went from a tiny leak to a huge one just by touching it. It was one of a few cooling system components that leaked when the engine was running hot due to retarded ignition timing (15% due to a slipped harmonic balancer).
TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2014, 03:07 PM   #18
TRAU BLAU

My AU Wagon hasn't got any leaks now after fixing them.New exhaust($352 with 2 new rubbers),battery,rego paid.I'll get 2 new tyres on the back then the front.But if I keep to the speed limit & watch out for red-light cameras etc.It's all cool cruising in this beaut.weather that's just starting.
TRAU BLAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2014, 01:27 PM   #19
fordfalconed

Talking Re: Common Problems with the AU??

Gidday lads,

Was losing coolant slowly on my 230K AU S3 Sedan Petrol then swapped with new oem reservoir cap and leaking has gone.

Thought it might be hairline crack on radiator or hoses but coolant fluid level stays constant when totally cool and no need for topping it off.
fordfalconed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2014, 08:33 PM   #20
dopeydazza

Sad to stay I found some rust behind tail lights, holes into boot space.
Not sure if connected, but globe holder for right rear tail lights was also snapped off, wondering if holder rubbef / vibrated into rust hole edges.

Therefore I must be a potato.
dopeydazza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2014, 12:09 PM   #21
rosefisted
Starter Motor

Airbag error code "33" (in non passenger airbag Forte). Fixed by replacing original 3 Ohm resistor with a 10 Ohm unit.

Rear LHS passenger seatbelt retractor not working. Fixed with silicon spray.

Front power windows biding/sticking. Fixed with silicon spray.

Brake light switch failure. Fixed with replacement Tridon switch from SuperCheap.
rosefisted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2014, 07:45 PM   #22
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

stuffed solenoid, but those vary in price from about $80 each i think is the cheapest up to about $240
Have you serviced it yet?, you should service it so you can inspect the oil condition, and if anything is in there like bits of the clutch packs etc...and metal
A scan will reveal if you have a faulty solenoid.
The neutral safety switch is also known to cause a bit of havoc in the btr's
mcfly94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2014, 11:57 AM   #23
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

yeah pulling apart the AU window buttons is par for the course, i did all mine a year or so ago and it fixed them for the most part - also replacement buttons aren't that expensive at the wrecker
Old 18-08-2014, 01:53 PM   #24
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

nope, lasted through all series

if it aint not broke, don't fix it :P
Old 18-08-2014, 02:55 PM   #25
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

the problem is not with the drivers, it's a design flaw - i've owned 13 Falcons and they have all warped, except for the one i have now but it only has 12,700KM on it at the moment so give it time. Also has bigger brakes than any of the others being a Turbo so i'll wait and see. My AUs brakes are warped and are terrible from high speed braking situations.
Old 18-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #26
red_hotxr6
Banned

Got my report/rwc today and
rear tyres are miss matched
boot lid no strut
rear brake lights dont work....had that done immediately..$30..
headlights are blue..not legal.
tint is coming off 1 window
passenger side power windows do not work
park lights do not work
rotors need machining
lh number plate light no workee
rear stubaxle rubbers perished
no horn......
jax quick fit are doing the rotors and tyres for me tomorrow...
Old 18-08-2014, 08:54 PM   #27
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

yeah all good just sharing my experience ;)

my dads BA XT (manual) had the rotors machined three times in 110,000KM and to give you an idea how he drives, he was still on the original pads at that odometer reading.
Old 18-08-2014, 09:01 PM   #28
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

i had three EL Ghias, they all had warped brakes with the splash guards still on

my AU had them too, but the wheels are more open on mine so not the same really

my FG only had them on the back due to the front rotor size from memory
Old 18-08-2014, 09:20 PM   #29
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

i think you're just exceedingly lucky - but the rotors may have been changed on on your EL before you bought it
Old 18-08-2014, 09:28 PM   #30
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

either way, AUs are great cars so you should have minimal issues - if it has IRS and you have a knock in the rear it may need upper shock mounts, they're notorious in AUs with IRS too
This user likes this post: