Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #61
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Another Holden is gone article

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
Broady did an upgrade of the plant before they announced they were closing. So it doesn't mean anything and it would be planned upgrade were the money would be approved by Detroit.
Exactly. The upgrade at Holden means nothing, actually it's not even an upgrade but the planning for one. As people in the industry know you just can't drop everything when there is uncertainty, you have to keep moving ahead with your plans before you have confirmation of a projects approval because if you don't then you will miss deadlines if the project does go ahead.

The Holden planning needs to be done over the Christmas shutdown when the line is stopped, it's the only time they can do it. They can't delay it until the next shutdown because the engineers need to get into and out of the body line to see what they can do with it all.

GM could still announce a plant closure the day after the planning was done if they needed too.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-11-2013, 10:09 PM   #62
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whilst I agree the Christmas break planning does not guarantee jack. It does however show that Holden/ GM are serious about trying to continue here in Australia & that any calls of "the decision has already been made & they are gone" are clearly wrong.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2013, 10:23 PM   #63
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Exactly. The upgrade at Holden means nothing, actually it's not even an upgrade but the planning for one. As people in the industry know you just can't drop everything when there is uncertainty, you have to keep moving ahead with your plans before you have confirmation of a projects approval because if you don't then you will miss deadlines if the project does go ahead.

The Holden planning needs to be done over the Christmas shutdown when the line is stopped, it's the only time they can do it. They can't delay it until the next shutdown because the engineers need to get into and out of the body line to see what they can do with it all.

GM could still announce a plant closure the day after the planning was done if they needed too.
True to some degree but not entirely - Holden's line is more flexible than Ford's meaning upgrades can take place whilst production continues, not to mention these upgrades aren't about re-modelling the complete plant layout but more so technical refinements to improve their position on safety, quality , process, cost etc therefore making their position more competitive.

Warning - This users posts are classified (G).

G (General) – Contains material intended for general viewing. The content is very mild in impact.
IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED SENSITIVE ADULTS VIEW IN THE COMPANY OF CHILDREN
fte50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2013, 03:58 AM   #64
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford man xf View Post
It will stay Holden, the brand name is just too important to discard, any GM products imported here might be just rebadged as Holden, the general public will still believe it's an Australian product they are buying, so it's a win for GM.
I dunno man, every second Commodore I see is already rebranded a Chev...

Maybe the knobheads that drive them were onto something a long time ago?
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2013, 04:02 AM   #65
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
To all of those who think this is a good thing, good luck getting cheap large performance sedans in the future.

Funny to see both brands have their short sighted fanboys.
I think that you'll find in this forum espescially....no one actually wants Holden to close because of what it does to our workers and our economy. The attitude is venting at the way Holden do there buissiness,and the way the government was so stupid to see the benifits of manufacturing here, therefore letting ford backout.
It's too late to save the industry now.....fords gone....therefore the whole industry becomes unplausible. Therefore.....all this talk about saving Holden just makes it even more infuriating. Giving them money now...when they can't possibly build commadore anymore, would be a dead set giveaway.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #66
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
I think that you'll find in this forum espescially....no one actually wants Holden to close because of what it does to our workers and our economy. The attitude is venting at the way Holden do there buissiness,and the way the government was so stupid to see the benifits of manufacturing here, therefore letting ford backout.
It's too late to save the industry now.....fords gone....therefore the whole industry becomes unplausible. Therefore.....all this talk about saving Holden just makes it even more infuriating. Giving them money now...when they can't possibly build commadore anymore, would be a dead set giveaway.
finally, someone speaks the truth. I hate Holden the company not the employees that work for Holden. I've said it before and i'll say it again. If Holden closes up shop, the only people i'll feel sorry for will be the workers and their families.
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #67
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadyFord View Post
But Broady never got as far as having a new model to replace Falcon in place.

The upgrade could have been something routine.
It was done at PDA and it was for new tech in cars and seeing as FG ain't getting anything new it would be for FH (or whatever they are calling it).
Old 06-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #68
Bossxr8
Peter Car

If they do go FWD how are they planning to stay viable, with no V8's which make up a big chunk of sales, and probably no ute or LWB either.

Those 3000 odd sales a month would drop considerably more. Can you imagine your typical Holden loving bogan doing front wheel drive skids in his new FWD Commodore lol.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #69
bigwil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
If they do go FWD how are they planning to stay viable, with no V8's which make up a big chunk of sales, and probably no ute or LWB either.

Those 3000 odd sales a month would drop considerably more. Can you imagine your typical Holden loving bogan doing front wheel drive skids in his new FWD Commodore lol.
Maybe Holden can bring back the camira.
bigwil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post