Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-11-2023, 09:47 PM   #2851
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 
Default Re: Australia housing bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I'm not an economist but how does taking away people's spending money help the economy?

Hospitality must already be stretched pretty thin. So many struggled through covid with many having to close up, and now this.

Many other industries doing it tough with people tightening up on spending.

Is interest rates really the only way to try to achieve what they want? Genuinely curious although I would guess that it's a very complex answer.
A good question, Rob. I found this to be a good read to help understand the balancing equation.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-08-...vice/101327530

I recall a story on the ABC radio a few months ago, and the economist being interviewed said there was basically three or four things that could be done to help control inflation. I can't remember the detail, but basically he said all but increasing interest rates were either outside the government's control or for those controllable by the government, no government would make these choices as they would be received negatively by the voting public. As the government has no control over the RBA decisions, all governments were happy to allow the RBA to take the brunt of having to make the tough decisions.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2023, 08:40 AM   #2852
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
I'm tipping we will see a recession in the new year.
Same. This rate rise can hardly be blamed on consumers, most of the inflation came from lack of housing supply, oil and energy prices.

Meanwhile, I'm constantly being cold-called by reps (existing suppliers and new) trying to drum up business. Nobody's buying (at least not in manufacturing).
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2023, 12:16 PM   #2853
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Can someone tell me if there is a correlation to HOW a government spends tax payer money and how a countries citizens spends their own money when it comes to hyperinflation?

My point is, if we are in such turmoil due to how much we as tax payers spend in the current economy, then why are we as a country send money hand over fist to other countries without question or consideration for its own citizens? Shouldn't the leaders of this country be looking after their own first? Or is it something separate?

We are in a big financial hole as we are reminded by the leaders but it just seems like we are somehow able to afford to keep other war torn countries afloat at the same time.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-11-2023, 04:44 PM   #2854
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
............... then why are we as a country send money hand over fist to other countries without question or consideration for its own citizens? Shouldn't the leaders of this country be looking after their own first? Or is it something separate?
Very complicated. "Foreign aid" buys influence and favour, and in some cases shows our masters that we are team player.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2023, 09:59 AM   #2855
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Basically 'giving to get'. Fundamentally sickening that politics play school yard tactics.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2023, 10:32 AM   #2856
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’ve noticed car battery prices firming a little higher than they were six months ago. Not sure whether it’s landed cost going up or importers preserving the life to which they have become accustomed.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2023, 10:58 PM   #2857
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Up up up

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-11-...m_content=link
Old 23-11-2023, 09:46 AM   #2858
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’m impressed that Ian Verrender seems to get away with saying what you’d think the ABC considered unacceptable - in an adjacent article to your link he’s effectively canvassing the idea of a sharp cutback in migration.
Old 23-11-2023, 11:30 AM   #2859
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Its coming from a female so its OK now.

Interesting times.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2023, 02:15 PM   #2860
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

US inflation was 0% last month. There are talks US and UK might leave rates alone now, or even start to lower it.

Can people please stop having hair cuts and going to the dentist? And start boycotting shops that are passing on expenses. Seriously.

PS. Tasman leg of lamb is now $7.50 a KG. Thats the new norm price. Check out your local independent stores, veges have fallen through the floor. I wonder where the RBA collect their basket of goods for CPI.

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 23-11-2023, 05:25 PM   #2861
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Most recent job started near me, they poured the second floor last week after more than a fortnight of formwork and roughing in. Now into it with wet saw, Kango etc - clearly, someone stuffed up. Formwork looked fairly pro, I’d say the principal contractor is at fault with setout or reading of plans.

So another job that will take up to twice the time it should, due to dodgy licencing and certification; no wonder there’s a shortfall in houses being completed.
Old 24-11-2023, 08:02 PM   #2862
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got my notice yesterday they are passing it on so $500/wk from January, was paying $300 odd before it started going up. Happy new year mother****er!

And it's entirely possible we get a new one in a week or so as an extra **** you before the last takes effect
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2023, 09:13 PM   #2863
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Got my notice yesterday they are passing it on so $500/wk from January, was paying $300 odd before it started going up. Happy new year mother****er!

And it's entirely possible we get a new one in a week or so as an extra **** you before the last takes effect
How long ago was the 300? Doesnt ACT have the 10% yearly cap?

I thought I'd be kind to mine, and started it earlier rather than it being a Christmas or new year present

Rides (past and present)

Old 26-11-2023, 12:54 AM   #2864
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
How long ago was the 300? Doesnt ACT have the 10% yearly cap?

I thought I'd be kind to mine, and started it earlier rather than it being a Christmas or new year present
I meant the bank passed on the rate increase for my mortgage.
Old 26-11-2023, 12:53 PM   #2865
George V
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I’m impressed that Ian Verrender seems to get away with saying what you’d think the ABC considered unacceptable - in an adjacent article to your link he’s effectively canvassing the idea of a sharp cutback in migration.
and,

to quote b0son, ...most of the inflation came from lack of housing supply, oil and energy prices...

I wonder what caused these? Were these beyond Govt control or Govt did not want to due to other reasons??? One could argue that there are all self-inflected...

Regards,
George V
George V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2023, 01:08 PM   #2866
prydey
Rob

What becomes very clear in these situations is that those in the decision making positions aren't the ones being affected by the decisions and haven't been affected by them for some time.

They just say 'we know it's a blunt tool but it's the only one we have'!

They've been well off for so long it's impossible for them to have any kind of empathy.

There are a large percentage of people doing it very tough at the moment, through no fault of their own and these are the ones most impacted by these 'blind' decisions.

The class divide in Australia is real. Those with money look down on those less fortunate and treat them as though it's their own fault for not having better paying jobs. What they fail to realise is that not all jobs can be high paid but someone has to do them.

I realise nothing will change because there's too many snouts in the trough.

Coorporate greed is next level at the moment and yet the plebs get preached to like its their fault for trying to live.

Ridiculous.
Old 26-11-2023, 01:17 PM   #2867
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

The gay nomads were looking for a unit or townhouse near the Wollongong CBD in order to be close for work. They looked literally for weeks - application after application went nowhere.

Then they tried offering equal of a week’s rent in a “brown paper bag” as an incentive. Instantly an application was approved; they then cantilevered off that approval with another agent and a different property (but no paper bag). Again, instant approval and they withdrew their initial application.

I’m not clear on who gets to hold the paper bag, whether the agent splits it or what. But it shows the marketplace as corrupt and stupid. I also know that only one of their referees was ever contacted, and only once at that. So we can probably add “lazy” to the list of agency shortcomings.

Properties the guys viewed in the last week or so, but were “not selected” for, mostly remain on the market if you assume that agencies keep their stock lists current. Perhaps the rental shortage is being made worse by agencies not really doing much?
Old 26-11-2023, 01:25 PM   #2868
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
The gay nomads were looking for a unit or townhouse near the Wollongong CBD in order to be close for work. They looked literally for weeks - application after application went nowhere.

Then they tried offering equal of a week’s rent in a “brown paper bag” as an incentive. Instantly an application was approved; they then cantilevered off that approval with another agent and a different property (but no paper bag). Again, instant approval and they withdrew their initial application.

I’m not clear on who gets to hold the paper bag, whether the agent splits it or what. But it shows the marketplace as corrupt and stupid. I also know that only one of their referees was ever contacted, and only once at that. So we can probably add “lazy” to the list of agency shortcomings.

Properties the guys viewed in the last week or so, but were “not selected” for, mostly remain on the market if you assume that agencies keep their stock lists current. Perhaps the rental shortage is being made worse by agencies not really doing much?
And this is the problem facing renters, people bidding up the rents while other simply can not offer more money going through the process.
Soon there will be no Nurses, Cops and Firey's in big cities as they will not able to afford to live there.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2023, 01:35 PM   #2869
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

The irony is that essentially I funded that bribe - they drive a car I own, maintain and insure - which makes a gratuity more affordable.
Old 26-11-2023, 11:30 PM   #2870
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
And this is the problem facing renters, people bidding up the rents while other simply can not offer more money going through the process.
Soon there will be no Nurses, Cops and Firey's in big cities as they will not able to afford to live there.
My 19yo daughter is training to be a nurse. She is now talking about “saving for a house”. I don’t have the heart to tell her that her future only becomes easier when she inherits both her parents houses when they die, not before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender
Most recent job started near me, they poured the second floor last week after more than a fortnight of formwork and roughing in. Now into it with wet saw, Kango etc - clearly, someone stuffed up. Formwork looked fairly pro, I’d say the principal contractor is at fault with setout or reading of plans.

So another job that will take up to twice the time it should, due to dodgy licencing and certification; no wonder there’s a shortfall in houses being completed.
There’s a new house being built near me, every day after 5pm a gentleman of subcontinental origin is there with his parked courier van, in a rented digger, literally digging the foundations by eye, and it looks it. Can’t imagine how that hovel will end up.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 01-12-2023, 08:49 PM   #2871
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It will be interesting what they go with on Tuesday but would expect another hit ahead of Xmas season if they really want to lock **** down. The problem is the actuals lag the decisions and forecasts by a massive margin.
Old 01-12-2023, 09:19 PM   #2872
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
It will be interesting what they go with on Tuesday but would expect another hit ahead of Xmas season if they really want to lock **** down. The problem is the actuals lag the decisions and forecasts by a massive margin.
Would be surprised if they raise. OECD have come out with a surprising statement that they see rate rises in AU as having ended, and might even start to drop Q3 of next year. I wonder if Jimmy made a phone call to old mate Mathias to try put some pressure on the RBA

Rides (past and present)

Old 01-12-2023, 10:27 PM   #2873
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Would be surprised if they raise. OECD have come out with a surprising statement that they see rate rises in AU as having ended, and might even start to drop Q3 of next year. I wonder if Jimmy made a phone call to old mate Mathias to try put some pressure on the RBA
Logic says they should raise it before Xmas season. It's only politics and feels against it. It will **** me so I have no horse in this
Old 02-12-2023, 12:33 AM   #2874
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Stop getting haircuts and going to dentists! These are some the reasons the RBA say are causing inflation.

RBA are clowns.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2023, 09:34 AM   #2875
ToryMikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Can someone tell me if there is a correlation to HOW a government spends tax payer money and how a countries citizens spends their own money when it comes to hyperinflation?

My point is, if we are in such turmoil due to how much we as tax payers spend in the current economy, then why are we as a country send money hand over fist to other countries without question or consideration for its own citizens? Shouldn't the leaders of this country be looking after their own first? Or is it something separate?

We are in a big financial hole as we are reminded by the leaders but it just seems like we are somehow able to afford to keep other war torn countries afloat at the same time.
The thing is, when we run our own households we work hard to earn the money so we’re a bit more careful how we apportion our spending then a government is.

Spend $100 extra this week on groceries? Yeah, the average family is going to feel it. Spend half a billion on a referendum that was always going to fail? Well that’s not really “our” money, that’s the uneducated bogans’ money. And screw them.

This current government thinks taxpayer money materialises out of thin air. Not that the alternative is much better…
1997 BMW E36 318i manual - Alpine White
ToryMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2023, 09:37 AM   #2876
ToryMikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Stop getting haircuts and going to dentists! These are some the reasons the RBA say are causing inflation.

RBA are clowns.
As a dentist I haven’t raised prices and I can’t think of many who have…but if they have, maybe it’s to cover the new tax that the Victorian Government introduced to dentists specifically? And that tax is retroactive - the first time I’ve ever heard of such a thing!
1997 BMW E36 318i manual - Alpine White
ToryMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2023, 11:36 PM   #2877
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
Pardon ?
I didn't miss it by much. Next prediction. January is holiday. No move Feb. Rate rise by Mar 2024.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2023, 12:09 PM   #2878
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
I didn't miss it by much. Next prediction. January is holiday. No move Feb. Rate rise by Mar 2024.
the old squeeze and release technique

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2023, 12:12 PM   #2879
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Like milking a (cash?) cow?
Old 07-12-2023, 12:25 PM   #2880
prydey
Rob

Amazing that for all the talk around cost of living and interest rates, demand for housing remains high and we're about to tick over a bumper year in new car sales.

Those with money are still spending up.

I'm a simpleton when it comes to economics so it puzzles me why they persist with this 'one size fits all' method of using interest rates to control inflation.

Sure, it eventually works, but at what cost and to whom.

Those making the decisions are ridiculously out of touch these days both at the RBA and Govt.

Blind Freddy can see it but no one wants to risk upsetting the snouts in the trough.