Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-01-2024, 03:47 PM   #2911
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Australia housing bubble

Quarterly inflation came in at 4.1%, lower than the forecast 4.5%. Probably safe to assume rate cuts will be coming sooner rather than later.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2024, 03:53 PM   #2912
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Quarterly inflation came in at 4.1%, lower than the forecast 4.5%. Probably safe to assume rate cuts will be coming sooner rather than later.
Albonomics working then.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2024, 04:35 PM   #2913
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

progressively making people poorer by the day. But leave Albo alone, Im sure he's due his next holiday soon and he has a plan which he'll work out poolside.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2024, 04:45 PM   #2914
ToryMikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
progressively making people poorer by the day. But leave Albo alone, Im sure he's due his next holiday soon and he has a plan which he'll work out poolside.
Maybe in his spare time he’ll figure out what bracket creep is?
1997 BMW E36 318i manual - Alpine White
ToryMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-02-2024, 08:29 PM   #2915
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They surely hold, I don't see a cut at all but who knows with the RBA.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2024, 11:24 PM   #2916
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I can't see cutting either. Even the abc was sprouting economic recovery which is madness getting excited about 4% inflation rates...hold maybe but they should be still going up.

There is still fat everywhere somehow and in most states prices on the up but I get more suspicious about this data by the week.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-02-2024, 12:58 PM   #2917
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Inflation may not be over get.

Diesel is up.

Anything that gets imported by ship is about to face a price increase. Warfies just scored a 23% pay rise. Heard port fees have jumped aswell. Assume shipping fees will jump too given the long route now required.

Tasman Butchers just told me price of whole lamb has gone up, they are now selling their $6.50/kg leg lamb at a slight loss.

Dollar fell though.

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

3 users like this post:
Old 04-02-2024, 01:09 PM   #2918
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
They surely hold, I don't see a cut at all but who knows with the RBA.
At the current rate of fall (1.3% per quarter), we're only half a year away from being BELOW the CPI target. If the next quarter doesnt show a slow in that decline, I think we'll see cuts by June.
Old 04-02-2024, 04:24 PM   #2919
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Listening to macca on the abc this morning, and he has an economic advisor, (can't remember his name) and he is currently in the States. His view was that the employment rate in the States is still high and therefore there's no way the federal reserve will decrease rates there any time soon. And he believes that's enough to influence the rates here. So, he can't see rates here moving any time soon.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2024, 04:37 PM   #2920
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Interesting comparison. I hope it’s a while before our economy apes too many trends of the US.

As to people reducing expenditure - or pretending to - my impression is, they’d stopped pretence by about the last Bathurst weekend. iPhones and big TVs are still flying off the shelves at places like JB. Have felt a few “news” articles read in recent months were basically trying to hector the Reserve Bank into a rates cut.

On the construction side, still seeing incompetent Chinese-run builds around me. Elapsed times are ridiculous - two years plus for some - and scheduling is not there; windows being retrofitted rather than built in. Always a near certainty for water ingress later.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2024, 04:48 PM   #2921
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post

As to people reducing expenditure - or pretending to - my impression is, they’d stopped pretence by about the last Bathurst weekend. iPhones and big TVs are still flying off the shelves at places like JB. .
Those with money are still spending up. The rate rises affect those who can least afford it the most.

Spending trends are hardly an accurate barometer of the economy.

Class divide is real in Australia.
Old 04-02-2024, 06:32 PM   #2922
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Those with money are still spending up. The rate rises affect those who can least afford it the most.
Yep. Mate of mine says his business has never been better, and his clients are spending up big. Meanwhile, I've seen the opposite. Half our contract customers have either significantly reduced their spending, or are simply gone, either in search of cheaper manufacturers, or simply closed down. And I'm getting hassled by sales people like never before trying to drum up business. But there's no business to drum up, we close our doors in 4-6 weeks....
5 users like this post:
Old 04-02-2024, 08:00 PM   #2923
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Yep. Mate of mine says his business has never been better, and his clients are spending up big. Meanwhile, I've seen the opposite. Half our contract customers have either significantly reduced their spending, or are simply gone, either in search of cheaper manufacturers, or simply closed down. And I'm getting hassled by sales people like never before trying to drum up business. But there's no business to drum up, we close our doors in 4-6 weeks....
Sorry to hear that, b0son. Would you mind telling us what sector your business is in?

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2024, 08:17 PM   #2924
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Sorry to hear that, b0son. Would you mind telling us what sector your business is in?
Food/complementary medicine/cosmetic manufacturing.
Old 05-02-2024, 11:49 AM   #2925
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I know it sounds morbid, but I check the ASIC public notices every day to see what is happening with companies and what companies are in trouble or restructuring. There are at least 40-50 new businesses listed every day nation wide. That number is slowly growing too. It is extremely hard to continue to run a business, keep people employed and still keep ahead of the financial game while trying to support your family. I feel for anyone now and in the months to come.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
5 users like this post:
Old 05-02-2024, 12:00 PM   #2926
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I spoke with a sublet works contractor today, back in December they were “Sorry, too busy; call us in January”.

Now it’s “We’ll have a look this afternoon with a view to starting tomorrow”. They being attached to the housing industry, I’m genuinely surprised. It’s a domain where rework usually finds their business well.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:09 PM   #2927
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Having a couple of weeks ago been to Briz/Gold Coast stopping overnight at Coffs on the way up.
I was impressed how much building is going on incl Coffs.
Briz is a madhouse as many would know, GC the same.

Since I have been dealing with a bathroom reno and getting hold of Trades that I know are so so flat out.
The Plummer I know based on the Central Coast is snowed and upon coming to my place said he with his grew is considering heading up north, even to GC/Briz for his mate up there has siad there is so much can't get enough Trades and I'm not surprised with the ongoing Gov city upgrades and weather disasters.
Another young local chippy we know moved to Bryron to cash in on all the work that available from there to Sunshine Coast.
Suppose just depends what Industry your in.
My mechanic Sydney mate - has been flat out ever since the beginnings post covid.
Min 2/3wks in advance booked out depending the type of work your car needs.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2024, 12:29 PM   #2928
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Having a couple of weeks ago been to Briz/Gold Coast stopping overnight at Coffs on the way up.
I was impressed how much building is going on incl Coffs.
Briz is a madhouse as many would know, GC the same.

Since I have been dealing with a bathroom reno and getting hold of Trades that I know are so so flat out.
The Plummer I know based on the Central Coast is snowed and upon coming to my place said he with his grew is considering heading up north, even to GC/Briz for his mate up there has siad there is so much can't get enough Trades and I'm not surprised with the ongoing Gov city upgrades and weather disasters.
Another young local chippy we know moved to Bryron to cash in on all the work that available from there to Sunshine Coast.
Suppose just depends what Industry your in.
My mechanic Sydney mate - has been flat out ever since the beginnings post covid.
Min 2/3wks in advance booked out depending the type of work your car needs
I get the same here with anything mechanical. Whether its panel beaters, engine builders, parts suppliers, restorers, you name it, they are flat knackers. Need to book a month in advance to get their attention.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 05-02-2024, 12:42 PM   #2929
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

yes motor game is sailing along in all fields.

As for housing, we see X developer going down but all that supply or get work from are gun ho as well that I see and hear.

As mentioned sorry to see b0son - not really understood what your into as mentioned but a real shame, all the very best..
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-02-2024, 03:47 PM   #2930
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Construction is at full steam here in SA, however, our builder is prioritising more lucrative builds over contracts signed off on months prior.
As it stands we are 2.5yrs from signing with what looks to be another 6 months to completion, meanwhile, the block of townhouses next door that saw a considerable price rise over ours for the same design has progressed much further.
We've fired off please explain emails with no response and now 3 of 6 in our block are investigating legal action to recover costs incurred due to the unacceptable delays.

My poor Daughter and partner are now living in a small bedroom with their newborn instead of settling into their new home that we were assured would be finished by xmas last year and prior to her giving birth.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-02-2024, 05:40 PM   #2931
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
our builder is prioritising more lucrative builds over contracts signed off on months prior.
Our builder has very front-loaded contracts... 90% payment required with maybe 70% of the work complete. Little wonder when they received the 90% stage payment, and everyone else's (they're building maybe a dozen houses in our estate on adjacent streets), they all but ground to a halt to concentrate on slab and framing a couple of new builds that started 6 months after us.
Old 27-02-2024, 08:23 PM   #2932
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

This will impact the Australian economy (and house prices)

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/202...-in-free-fall/

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2024, 08:29 PM   #2933
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
This will impact the Australian economy (and house prices)

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/202...-in-free-fall/
https://www.news.com.au/finance/busi...df761c7dfa4964

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 27-02-2024, 08:34 PM   #2934
ToryMikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
"Australia is notorious for selling off the farm and failing to value-add its food and mineral produce."

Hit the nail on the head right there...and it's exactly the reason ol' Winnie has us bent over a barrel on this one.
1997 BMW E36 318i manual - Alpine White
ToryMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2024, 09:57 PM   #2935
fatgas
Purveyor of fine filth

I am so happy this little lizard has been found again:

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...27-p5f851.html
fatgas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2024, 10:15 PM   #2936
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

TLDR

Au is still the place the world wants to move to

Time in China convinced me of that

While ever that is the case immigration levels are high prices will outstrip demand

No end in sight AFAI can see

Unless world economy crashes

More than possible in 2024

Come to think of it.

ANYTHING is possible in 2024
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2024, 10:17 PM   #2937
fatgas
Purveyor of fine filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski View Post
TLDR

Au is still the place the world wants to move to

Time in China convinced me of that

While ever that is the case immigration levels are high prices will outstrip demand

No end in sight AFAI can see

Unless world economy crashes

More than possible in 2024

Come to think of it.

ANYTHING is possible in 2024

Couldn't agree more.
fatgas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2024, 04:04 PM   #2938
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
they are now selling their $6.50/kg leg lamb at a slight loss.
No they are not, no one sells their produce at a loss unless they have declared bankruptcy and are having a fire sale.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2024, 04:34 PM   #2939
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
No they are not, no one sells their produce at a loss unless they have declared bankruptcy and are having a fire sale.
False. Worked for a retailer that did deals and stunts to bring customers in, hoping sale of other goods will more than make up for a single product, and then there is the prospect of repeat business.

Though in this particular instance, it wasn't intended to be a sale or stunt. Prices did fall through the floor around Nov 23, but has since shot back up.

Who am I to argue with the butcher? Was brief only.....$6.50 - $7.50 is long gone now, they did try to hold on for a while.

Rides (past and present)

3 users like this post:
Old 02-03-2024, 11:16 PM   #2940
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I’m showing my age; in the eighties and nineties the terminology for such promotions was “loss leader” and retailers worked with the wholesaler over how the temporary deficit on a headline product was carried.