Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-02-2024, 03:51 PM   #1
malbaby
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Car Insurance

Hi guys...what is the current thinking on "Enthusiast Car Insurance".
I can save about $480 on a couple of cars, compared with my current "Shannons" insurance.
Tried to phone them today, but only recordings were on. No personal contact.
Comments welcomed.
malbaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2024, 04:49 PM   #2
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Default Re: Car Insurance

left Shannons years ago as they just didn't satisfy me whilst being arrogant.
Went to Ryno was a win win for a couple of mine didn't look back then some years ago their HQ changed their course to market ie dropping HSV/FPV/Tickfords therefore I found Enthusiasts some 5yrs ago.
Not a problem - easy to deal with and good rates.
I get return call or email and they get back to me.
Just renewed both my Falcons minimal low k's P/A, salvage rights and happy agreed values.
Thats my comments others may have different experience as there normally is.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2024, 09:15 PM   #3
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I left shannons and went to enthusiast. Shannons wouldnt get anywhere close to a reasonable value on any of my cars whereas enthusiast straight up offered what i wanted with the option to go higher. I was also getting sick of Shannons wait times on the phone, and had a total joke of an experience with them claiming on the house insurance. Every time I've rang enthusiast ive got an aussie on the other end pretty quickly. I havent claimed with enthusiast so cant speak for that yet, but theres a couple of big downsides with them depending on your circumstances:
Named driver only. If your mate wrecks your car and he's not on the policy, too bad. Very few exemptions on this.
Kilometre limit. You start with a certain amount, i think you can purchase up to 2000km? But if you wreck and youre over theres a big penalty. Seem to recall extra $2k. And if you wreck and your odometer reads less than you told them you started with, no claim.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2024, 11:01 AM   #4
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

With the KMs on Enthusiasts, just do the right thing and if you need another 1000 or 2000 just ring and add it on for the year and they will pro rata it and it's not much for peace of mind.

Daily: Tornado MY20 GTI

Retired: Venom BA XR8 - build thread
genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-02-2024, 11:18 AM   #5
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My car insurance went up by $200 last year and up 60% this year they want to screw me over with and i am over 60yo and rating 1 no claims !

So what is it, why am i being stung ! are you lot dealing with such increase ?

I think we are paying because of all of the idiots who got their cars swamped ? because most people nowadays could not care less to bother to drive their car up the road to a hill so it will not be swamped ?

I remember the days when people were prepared for flooding and would hop to it directly to save their belongings ! but nowadays people dismiss any help you offer, you say move your car etc up to safety and they just dismiss you. Same with bush fire, they have no regard ! one has to keep bush land has to be reasonable, but No ! so who is it that is paying for all this, people who do the right thing being stung !
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2024, 12:06 PM   #6
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by genebaby View Post
With the KMs on Enthusiasts, just do the right thing and if you need another 1000 or 2000 just ring and add it on for the year and they will pro rata it and it's not much for peace of mind.
yep agreed.
Very easy to deal with as I mentioned.

Jack91, re a mate driving your toy, well that just don't happen with me, its a sorry no mate uninsured not going to happen.
KLM limit, well whats the prob ? damned if I'm going to compramise a policy and my name.
Renewing the other week was can you supply current klms on both ?
Yep let me get back to you.
the T3 is in storage, so I said it hasn't moved since last policy, good thanks sir noted on policy.
The Sprint, yes I drive it now and then, having checked to confirm, only did 1k over the year.
Sir you currently have last policy 4Klm limit, in fact on both cars, considering only done 1K on the Sprint and nil the T3 how about we drop the minmal use to 2K And might I add you'll gain a saving of 1K on your policy.
Oh great yes please go ahead.
Win win there, and telling the truth you have no issues if and when the time comes doing a claim, nothing to worry about.
The 4K limit I used to have was to cover myself in case I over used either what I nominated.
I have find Enthusiast good as Shannons was way way back in the ol days and long before when they got bought out.
Also as mentioned you speak to an aussie.
Old 08-02-2024, 01:18 PM   #7
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I chased Shannons & Enthusiast, finished going back to RAA (South Oz) even though Id just had a complete writeoff claim, But I had other policies with them. Substanially cheaper and better deals
Old 08-02-2024, 01:37 PM   #8
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
yep agreed.
Very easy to deal with as I mentioned.

Jack91, re a mate driving your toy, well that just don't happen with me, its a sorry no mate uninsured not going to happen.
KLM limit, well whats the prob ? damned if I'm going to compramise a policy and my name.
Renewing the other week was can you supply current klms on both ?
Yep let me get back to you.
the T3 is in storage, so I said it hasn't moved since last policy, good thanks sir noted on policy.
The Sprint, yes I drive it now and then, having checked to confirm, only did 1k over the year.
Sir you currently have last policy 4Klm limit, in fact on both cars, considering only done 1K on the Sprint and nil the T3 how about we drop the minmal use to 2K And might I add you'll gain a saving of 1K on your policy.
Oh great yes please go ahead.
Win win there, and telling the truth you have no issues if and when the time comes doing a claim, nothing to worry about.
The 4K limit I used to have was to cover myself in case I over used either what I nominated.
I have find Enthusiast good as Shannons was way way back in the ol days and long before when they got bought out.
Also as mentioned you speak to an aussie.
I wasn't having a dig at them, its actually a good idea because it weeds out the daily drivers and crap cars. Just worth knowing, because Id guess theyre the only company to have those rules.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-02-2024, 02:56 PM   #9
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

yes all cool Jack91, yer agree.
The shonks haven't helped us honest ones for years and years.
Long before the late weather disasters of the last 5yrs or so.
Old 28-03-2024, 12:53 PM   #10
adriantillin

I can't fault Shannon's. Always courteous, quick to answer the phone, give good guaranteed values for cars over 15 years old and multi-car discount (I currently have 7 insured).

Cheers Adrian
adriantillin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: