Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 01-12-2020, 10:03 AM   #1
Greenspeed3
Starter Motor

Default New rear shocks 2015 Mondeo

I love my diesel Mondeo wagon. But both rear shock absorbers need replacing. Ford want $1200 (each)!!!
Given the low volume here, there is no aftermarket supplier. Repco etc don't have them.
But aftermarket shocks are readily available in the UK for around UK 35 pounds or A$65 each.
So I'm planning to buy in UK and have shipped over for fitting. Has anyone else done this?
Greenspeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2020, 11:35 AM   #2
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: New rear shocks 2015 Mondeo

These don't fit ? https://parts.monroe.com.au/v/ford-a...hock-absorbers
Old 01-12-2020, 12:17 PM   #3
Greenspeed3
Starter Motor

Thanks, but Mondeo is not in the Australian catalogue. Annoying, huh?
Old 01-12-2020, 12:40 PM   #4
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
Thanks, but Mondeo is not in the Australian catalogue. Annoying, huh?
But it says "ford-australia-mondeo-ma-mc-mb-2-0-tdci-2007-2015-diesel-hatchback" and it is the Australian Monro Catalogue.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:20 PM   #5
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
But it says "ford-australia-mondeo-ma-mc-mb-2-0-tdci-2007-2015-diesel-hatchback" and it is the Australian Monro Catalogue.
Like this ?

Old 01-12-2020, 09:35 PM   #6
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Like this ?

Hmmm,

Not so much.

Those, I think, are front struts.

The OP is looking for rear shocks?

Perhaps this?
https://parts.monroe.com.au/v/p/pass...roductnr=e2071

Good luck

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2020, 09:40 PM   #7
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
2015 Mondeo could be an MD, though, which arrived here around August that year.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2020, 09:41 PM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanD View Post
Hmmm,

Not so much.

Those, I think, are front struts.

The OP is looking for rear shocks?

Perhaps this?

Good luck

Cheers
I was merely showing that they do have a listing for Aust Mondeo's as aussieblue pointed out, and in the left menu it says rear axle.

Last edited by GasoLane; 01-12-2020 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Grammar
GasoLane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-12-2020, 10:07 PM   #9
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Rear Shock Absorber Part Number E2071 2007-2015 Ford Mondeo TDCi

these: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Monroe-C...frcectupt=true

Last edited by aussiblue; 01-12-2020 at 10:16 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2020, 07:32 AM   #10
Mondaveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenspeed3 View Post
So I'm planning to buy in UK and have shipped over for fitting. Has anyone else done this?
Cobrin did, for his 2009 MB hatch, and was kind enough to document the installation process which went smoothly:
https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11453047

FrancisW also did for his 2011 MC wagon, but ended up with products that didn't fit:
https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11478504

As they say, your mileage may vary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2020, 11:27 AM   #11
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
I was merely showing that they do have a listing for Aust Mondeo's as aussieblue pointed out, and in the left menu it says rear axle.
Thanks for the clarification, but it might have helped the OP if the page went further down to show the rear Damper rather than the front Damper Struts. But I'm not sure if the entry showed that detail. I just checked and it does, but the OP is correct the listings do not cover the MD model, so I'll go out on a limb and suspect that it is an MD the OP is talking about and a wagon as well.

But it might be that the car is an MC model as a 2015 year has a couple of possibilities since both MC and MD models were sold in 2015 in Australia. And the MD was a complete redesign so there are a host of differences that could extend to suspension design and mounting details for Dampers.

If it is an MD wagon then the fact that the Titanium spec cars have self levelling rear suspension and the lower spec cars do not (I think), this might make for differences in both Damper type and how they are mounted.

I'd advise the OP to get under the car (or take a wheel off) and then you can check both the type of Damper (cylinder or strut, I doubt strut) and the mount system (eyelet or threaded rod) - it is then easy to eliminate catalogue entries that do not match.

I just looked under the back of our car, which has the self leveling suspension, so I can tell you that on the MD Titanium wagon there is an eyelet at the bottom of the Damper and a threaded rod at the top, but there is at least one tab welded to the lower tubular part that is used to locate other suspension members. The E2071 is not going to be suitable on this car.

If the OP goes here:

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/...07762-2-0-tdci

The entry might be helpful - the catalogue is quite extensive.

Finally - $1200 for a tubular Damper? - another example of dealership ripping off car owners?

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2021, 05:10 PM   #12
david837465
Starter Motor

Hi Greenspeed. I have exactly the same issue with my 2016 MD Mondeo. My mechanic couldn't believe the price Ford are asking for the parts. He asked for trade price and he was quoted exactly the same as me $2400 for the pair. In his opinion, they're not worth it. Mine failed after only 55k kms. I'm looking at the UK too. Did you end up doing this? Which ones did you order? How did it turn out? Any help/advice would be very much appreciated. Cheers
david837465 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2021, 07:08 PM   #13
Greenspeed3
Starter Motor

Hi.
No, I haven't done it yet. Apparently they are special self levelling shocks. Which is why the aftermarket parts don't suit.
My mechanic says there is a modification which can be done to allow standard shocks to be used. But that needs special springs to be made. And its not worthwhile.
So, I haven't gone any further with it..
Old 28-06-2021, 10:15 PM   #14
david837465
Starter Motor

Thanks for the reply. Im still hopeful the uk parts of the will work out. I've found posts on other sites where its been done on the MC mondeo. So fingers crossed 🤞
Old 06-07-2021, 10:29 AM   #15
Shepherd
Starter Motor

[QUOTE=AlanD;6519547]

If it is an MD wagon then the fact that the Titanium spec cars have self levelling rear suspension and the lower spec cars do not (I think), this might make for differences in both Damper type and how they are mounted.

I hope you don't mind me clarifying, Alan, but its the Ambiente wagon (only) that has self-levelling rear suspension, utilising dampers of a very large diameter.

The Titanium (hatch & wagon) has what the brochure calls "Adaptive Suspension" but the handbook calls "Driver Select Suspension", with Comfort, Normal & Sport modes.

A former Ford service manager told me that the Ambiente's dampers are of a fairly simple design & don't usually give trouble.
Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2021, 03:30 PM   #16
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

If it does not work and you need genuine shocks (need VIN to verify), but I can get these for $900 each ($600 saving in total). Still expensive I know, but if you have no choice, happy to help getting them.
GTLEGEND is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2021, 04:22 PM   #17
mourati

Hi - not sure if this was covered in an earlier thread, but a failure at 55,000km is deemed an unacceptable product performance and reliability - you will be surprised that you, the Consumer has right under consumer guarantees and warranty to have Ford replace these at no charge to you!
Be prepared through to do the leg work as the Ford Service Manager is trained well to resist all cost wherever possible that is warranty is dealer have a hard time recovering this via Ford and anything they can charge out is easy money, but you will find with some patience and constant calls to their Customer hotline you will have these replaced at no cost to you!
Ford are still doing repairs to cars for warranty works free of charge for cars up to 7 years, and no one will ever publish this officially!
Make sure all service records are in order and quote them the ACL (read it cover to cover). Hope it helps!
mourati is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2021, 09:36 AM   #18
david837465
Starter Motor

Thanks for all the input.

Mourati - I did think of the ACL. I have a contact at City Ford, Alexandria. He had his service people look at it and try to get Ford to change them under warranty. Ford refused so they refused. I also tried making a complaint through NSW Fair Trading. The reply from Ford was that they would not repair out of warranty, but even if it was within warranty, the shocks were considered a fair wear and tear item so they wouldn't do it anyway! I thought after that I'd have to go through the Tribunal to get anywhere and I don't have the time or money to take on Ford's lawyers. I have no doubt Ford would rather spend more on legal costs, than the replacement cost of the part, just so they dont set a precedent for having to replace these parts. Do you have any further hints or tips how to go about this? I would love to see Ford cough up for them! Thanks

Gtlegend - thanks for the offer. I'll keep it in mind. I'm still hopeful of a more reasonably priced alternative, although I haven't ordered the UK parts yet. In the meantime the VIN is WF0FXXWPCFGL45716. Thanks

Shepherd - I have the ambiente, and yes, it's self leveling, not adaptive or driver select. You're right about the size of these things, the mechanic mentioned they were huge! The service manager you spoke to is probably right to a certain extent, but if it is rare, why won't Ford just admit the occasional dud and just pay up? (I realise you can't answer that, just venting) It doesn't seem like a huge issue with them, but I've found several examples of the same problem browsing various forums, including Greenspeed3's.
Old 15-07-2021, 07:23 PM   #19
garry1036
Starter Motor

I have been researching this myself, as i have a 2016 Ambiente Wagon with a leaking shock.
The only option that i can find is to purchase lowered springs and new standard struts and shocks.
I have some links below.

http://www.eibachdirect.com/p/935362...mondeo-v-.html

https://www.extramileautoparts.com.a...0l-2014-2019-8

https://www.extramileautoparts.com.a...eo-ambiente-20

https://automotivesuperstore.com.au/koni-8250-1043

https://automotivesuperstore.com.au/koni-8750-1113r

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/28435584...8AAOSwTMxf9F1q

Regards
garry1036 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2021, 07:35 PM   #20
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Has anyone actually thought of the compromise fitting of the cheaper shocks may have on the ride quality, effects on ABS, ESC, DSC, AEB and other safety systems the OE shocks would have been designed to deal with. The MD Mondeo was far superior and more advanced vehicle than say a Falcon of the same era (while it lasted) in most aspects. It would be interesting to know if the cheaper aftermarket shocks actually stand up in comparison to the OE, I doubt it because the difference is usually genuine.
Old 16-07-2021, 02:24 PM   #21
david837465
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
Has anyone actually thought of the compromise fitting of the cheaper shocks may have on the ride quality, effects on ABS, ESC, DSC, AEB and other safety systems the OE shocks would have been designed to deal with. The MD Mondeo was far superior and more advanced vehicle than say a Falcon of the same era (while it lasted) in most aspects. It would be interesting to know if the cheaper aftermarket shocks actually stand up in comparison to the OE, I doubt it because the difference is usually genuine.
GTLEGEND, you make good points and I'm still not convinced by the UK parts option. Haven't ordered anything yet. But regarding the points you made, I've been driving around for months now with a defective shock, and it doesn't appear to have affected any of the systems you mentioned. Also, in my research I've come across a number of Brits who have swapped out the springs in their MD/Mk5 models for lower riding ones. None of them have reported any issues. Lastly, I found out the UK Mondeos in the MD/Mk5 series (the 2016 models at any rate) came with normal shocks as their standard equipment. The self leveling ones were an optional extra. So from that at least I can be sure the chassis is designed for normal shocks, and probably some of the systems too. As for the cheaper aftermarkets standing up to the OE's, my OE's failed after only 55000km's. That's bad. Especially when Ford charges $2400 before fitting! As my mechanic said, "They're just not worth it".
Old 16-07-2021, 02:50 PM   #22
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Quote:
Has anyone actually thought of the compromise fitting of the cheaper shocks may have on the ride quality, effects on ABS, ESC, DSC, AEB and other safety systems the OE shocks would have been designed to deal with.

you make it sound like cheaper shocks are inferior. Aftermarket that are suitable for the intended purpose are often OE equivalent and sometimes better. I had poor underperforming suspension, replacing them with known quality aftermarket shocks&springs KYB/Monroe alternatives, restored a beautiful suspension. Best move I've done and 5yrs+ of complete enjoyment.

Aftermarket also cater to performance crowds. I wouldn't want to ever be held over a barrel for OE, that just serves Ford.
Old 16-07-2021, 03:41 PM   #23
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrin View Post
you make it sound like cheaper shocks are inferior. Aftermarket that are suitable for the intended purpose are often OE equivalent and sometimes better. I had poor underperforming suspension, replacing them with known quality aftermarket shocks&springs KYB/Monroe alternatives, restored a beautiful suspension. Best move I've done and 5yrs+ of complete enjoyment.

Aftermarket also cater to performance crowds. I wouldn't want to ever be held over a barrel for OE, that just serves Ford.
No did not mean that at all, what I was suggesting and I did say MAY in my first sentence, is that the OP is sort of going into this blind, so without verification by someone who has done it, best be careful of fitting any aftermarket regardless of price (could be cheaper or more expensive). Apart from ride quality, you are not going to know the effects on the other systems until you really need it (like before an accident) and I hope for all that is next to never.

If there is a cheaper option that has no issues and does the job equivalent or even better, then go for it. Win Win..

My post was more about being aware of what potential issues could be affected by fitting under performing shocks (maybe I should have used that instead of cheaper).
2 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2021, 04:31 PM   #24
NPS

Hi all, my 2015 trend wagon seems to have "normal shocks "not electric anyway bottom mount is far from looking a normal mount. were the electric stabilisers an optional extra, none of the usual suppliers seem to have anything. Cheers NPS
NPS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2021, 05:10 PM   #25
thebigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by david837465 View Post
I have the ambiente, and yes, it's self leveling...
I was surprised to hear this too, given you have an MD Ambiente. Is it a wagon or hatch ?
thebigd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2021, 09:18 PM   #26
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Quote:
If there is a cheaper option that has no issues and does the job equivalent or even better, then go for it. Win Win..

My post was more about being aware of what potential issues could be affected by fitting under performing shocks (maybe I should have used that instead of cheaper).

Ah thanks for the clarification, I haven't felt the OP is going in blind, he's still researching. I assumed that he is trying to look for suitable OE replacements. I, too, agree you should shoot for OE where possible first or if you're wanting more, then sure higher performance parts makes sense.

I don't thing the vehicle dynamics nor its systems would be affected to the point of abnormal/unacceptable if the OP did away with self levelling for standard shocks with suitable springs. Self levelling is just that, it'll keep the vehicle at a specific ride height fully loaded or unladen. Again reversing that feature, I wouldn't think would ruin the vehicle.
Old 19-07-2021, 11:06 AM   #27
david837465
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigd View Post
I was surprised to hear this too, given you have an MD Ambiente. Is it a wagon or hatch ?
I have a wagon. I'm not sure if the self leveling was standard here or not. I've found docs showing it was an option in the UK. My car was a Hunter Health Dept fleet car before I had it. Don't think they would have paid for self leveling.
Old 19-07-2021, 02:09 PM   #28
david837465
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPS View Post
Hi all, my 2015 trend wagon seems to have "normal shocks "not electric anyway bottom mount is far from looking a normal mount. were the electric stabilisers an optional extra, none of the usual suppliers seem to have anything. Cheers NPS
From what I've found out so far, the trend and titanium should both be adaptive/driver select suspension. So should have some wiring attached for the controls. But that might be different for the 2015 model. Anyway, you won't find any aftermarket versions in Australia. Ebay occasionally gets some from the breakers, there's these at the moment

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/15444890...MAAOSwQDRgmkjv

Look like they came out of a titanium. The seller should be able to tell you if they're right for you. Good luck
Old 19-07-2021, 03:18 PM   #29
NPS

Thanks David, Yes mine was an ex fleet car so you are probably right they wouldn't spend extra on them. Noel
Old 19-07-2021, 03:27 PM   #30
NPS

Hi David, yes my car was a fleet car as well I think your right they wouldn't spend the extra. Noel