Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-06-2021, 07:43 PM   #91
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Psychos in the Auto-Repair Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
less sooky la la and go be a plumber m8
Remember your ridiculous statement next time you need a tradie other than a plumber
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-06-2021, 07:48 PM   #92
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Remember your ridiculous statement next time you need a tradie other than a plumber
tilers are cheap and sometimes they work for nothing
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2021, 08:43 PM   #93
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I hope the fair market price for information is really that.

Next they can alter the statutory write-off laws and consolidate our skills base with more manufacturer-approved repairs to damaged vehicles.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2021, 09:14 PM   #94
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah will interesting to see if the stat write off rules change.The rules were brought about by the manufacturers get in some pollies ear and convincing said pollie that any damaged car was a hazard if allowed back on the road irregardless of the extent of the damage.Small bend in a chassis rail,stat write off fresh water up to the sill panel,stat write off,just a couple of examples of stupidity.Ins Co,s hated it because the value of slightly damaged cars fell through the floor
Old 20-06-2021, 09:22 PM   #95
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I think now the insurers like the laws. There are less repairs they have to warrant, and the replacement cars people buy are likely to come with a larger premium for insurance. It’s just a modern Australian thing, really - most European manufacturers detail the steps for significant fixes including full rail replacement, rear floors up to the back seat, complete pillars and a large variety of sectional repairs. Ford even covered this for the Falcons and Territories.
Old 20-06-2021, 09:29 PM   #96
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I think now the insurers like the laws. There are less repairs they have to warrant, and the replacement cars people buy are likely to come with a larger premium for insurance. It’s just a modern Australian thing, really - most European manufacturers detail the steps for significant fixes including full rail replacement, rear floors up to the back seat, complete pillars and a large variety of sectional repairs. Ford even covered this for the Falcons and Territories.
Haven’t been in the motor industry for a few years now,but major repair sections were always available including fully panelled body shells for a few different makes,but with the stat write off rules,you couldn’t even rebuild using a new body
Old 21-06-2021, 11:41 AM   #97
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post
My wife got stung $270 from Plummer to unblock a drain, it took 20min for 2 blokes to do.
I am a Contractor Tiler and if I can make $300 a day I am having a good day. other days I may of worked 10hr day and earn nothing at all, just getting f ed over by incompetent builders who don't give a rats if you are making money or not.
That's a standard call out fee, 2 x hourly rate. If the job takes 9 or 59 minutes it's all covered under that price. Don't know how people expect tradies to not have a minimum fee and want to pay for the time it takes only, were you expecting it to cost less than $100? Tradies have travel time, vehicle expenses, insurance, tools etc plus you are paying for their knowledge. Have had potential clients ask for complete breakdowns of quotes down the individual price of bolts, not a problem as soon as they provide me with one of their payslips and their work calendar to show how many hours in the day they work. You might be prepared to earn nothing for a days work but not many other tradesman are.
Ross 1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2021, 11:57 AM   #98
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross 1 View Post
That's a standard call out fee, 2 x hourly rate. If the job takes 9 or 59 minutes it's all covered under that price. Don't know how people expect tradies to not have a minimum fee and want to pay for the time it takes only, were you expecting it to cost less than $100? Tradies have travel time, vehicle expenses, insurance, tools etc plus you are paying for their knowledge. Have had potential clients ask for complete breakdowns of quotes down the individual price of bolts, not a problem as soon as they provide me with one of their payslips and their work calendar to show how many hours in the day they work. You might be prepared to earn nothing for a days work but not many other tradesman are.
If I employ a tradie I pay for their work time plus travelling!not 1 hr for 15 mins work.In fact on big jobs they get paid from start time to finish time,no travelling time,just the same as if they are going to their regular job,By the way there isn’t a lot of knowledge needed to unblock a drain.
Old 21-06-2021, 12:04 PM   #99
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
If I employ a tradie I pay for their work time plus travelling!not 1 hr for 15 mins work.In fact on big jobs they get paid from start time to finish time,no travelling time,just the same as if they are going to their regular job,By the way there isn’t a lot of knowledge needed to unblock a drain.
The knowledge part was a generalisation not necessarily about unblocking a drain but if it was that simple he could have done it himself. I was pointing out the facts for a small job but yes on larger projects it's normally an agreed upon price before works commence and yes travel time is not included. You must be lucky to find tradies that charge by the minute.
Ross 1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2021, 12:07 PM   #100
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross 1 View Post
The knowledge part was a generalisation not necessarily about unblocking a drain but if it was that simple he could have done it himself. I was pointing out the facts for a small job but yes on larger projects it's normally an agreed upon price before works commence and yes travel time is not included. You must be lucky to find tradies that charge by the minute.
I am in regional Aust,that s how it works here
Old 21-06-2021, 12:21 PM   #101
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

After reading the post about the overheads owning a mechanic workshop, I understand why there's a shortage. Add in Gen Y / Z who seen to be still falling for the "I need a university degree for a career" that's no wonder there's a trade shortage!!

Plumbers. They do charge extortion type prices. Yeah I know that they have overheads and tools.... But how many experienced plumbers live in a 2 bedroom unit driving a ute that's okay than 5 years lol.

Sprinkler fitters do really well. Friends son is 26 and has 2 properties nearly paid off and he's building his first masion now.

BIL drives tankers. $140k plus. Horrible hours though.

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003
BA-XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2021, 12:39 PM   #102
.:4:.
Kicking back

In any trade there is always a few dumb spuds. Ive seen a lot come and go when i was on the tools. Things ranging from customer complaints due to taking too long, not doing their job properly, replacing expensive parts without consulting the customer, lack of general customer service, all that sort of thing. A lot of these potatoes are just good at job interviews, but not their jobs. Its the times when they either lose a customer, or customers specifically ask for said person not to be sent next time is what puts nails in coffins.
For me, just in lamens terms (clients dont typically care about the technical stuff) explaining why the issue arouse etc, would bring positive feedback to my then office. Plus it wasnt too uncommon for if say the clients office was having a catered staff lunch being asked to stick around. Cant complain about a free lunch.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2021, 02:28 PM   #103
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post
My wife got stung $270 from Plummer to unblock a drain, it took 20min for 2 blokes to do.
I am a Contractor Tiler and if I can make $300 a day I am having a good day. other days I may of worked 10hr day and earn nothing at all, just getting f ed over by incompetent builders who don't give a rats if you are making money or not.
You are what is known as " an honest decent person" the plumbers who charged like a wounded bull have no conscience!
Paying $100 per hour to a business that uses $250,000 machinery and may have 3 or 4 different pieces of machinery, well his overheads deserve that pricing!

But a bloke in a ute, box of spanners, maybe an electric eel is not worth what you were charged!
And they target women during the day when they know hubby is at work!
Its a rip-off, its been happening since the Ark was built, not everyone is as honest and decent as you, or me or 90% of the population, they don't care one iota

Cheers King Billy
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2021, 05:36 PM   #104
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You blokes just reminded me Im yet to receive my bill from my plumber.....he unblocked my drains easily 4 weeks ago.
Theyre not all about the moneygrab.
I recall this guy sorting me out on Australia Day one year. Wife was 8months preggo and knowing that was at my place in 20 minutes...charged me standard rate while i knocked back a few beers with hottest100 cranked.

Ive just sent him a txt to remind him about the missing invoice
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2021, 06:45 PM   #105
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
You blokes just reminded me Im yet to receive my bill from my plumber.....he unblocked my drains easily 4 weeks ago.
Theyre not all about the moneygrab.
I recall this guy sorting me out on Australia Day one year. Wife was 8months preggo and knowing that was at my place in 20 minutes...charged me standard rate while i knocked back a few beers with hottest100 cranked.

Ive just sent him a txt to remind him about the missing invoice
Boy or Girl...???
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2021, 07:32 PM   #106
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
You are what is known as " an honest decent person" the plumbers who charged like a wounded bull have no conscience!
Paying $100 per hour to a business that uses $250,000 machinery and may have 3 or 4 different pieces of machinery, well his overheads deserve that pricing!

But a bloke in a ute, box of spanners, maybe an electric eel is not worth what you were charged!
And they target women during the day when they know hubby is at work!
Its a rip-off, its been happening since the Ark was built, not everyone is as honest and decent as you, or me or 90% of the population, they don't care one iota

Cheers King Billy
solid trolling there king billy coke bottle
2 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2021, 07:58 PM   #107
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Considering plumbers touch s*^t for a living, I’m happy to pay whatever they want.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 21-06-2021, 08:08 PM   #108
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Considering plumbers touch s*^t for a living, I’m happy to pay whatever they want.

Could be fun?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2021, 08:15 PM   #109
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
just a bloke in a ute and a box of spanners...
4 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2021, 08:33 PM   #110
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
just a bloke in a ute and a box of spanners...
And a drill with a 1/8” bit,,pop rivet gun and a bottle of pvc glue
2 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2021, 08:38 PM   #111
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And a drill with a 1/8” bit,,pop rivet gun and a bottle of pvc glue
+ drain snake
Old 21-06-2021, 08:38 PM   #112
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Can we rename this the plumbing arguments thread, please?

How many independent workshops charge a “hoist fee” in that if the car goes up for work that is a separate item applied to the invoice? I understand some high end marques charge more if programmed work requires a hoist.
Old 21-06-2021, 09:05 PM   #113
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:

How many independent workshops charge a “hoist fee” in that if the car goes up for work that is a separate item applied to the invoice? I understand some high end marques charge more if programmed work requires a hoist.
Only the ones with dishonest owners

Cheers King Billy
Old 21-06-2021, 10:49 PM   #114
hayseed

Quote:

I Think...
People Who Don't understand the cost of running a Business & employing people..

Would be Far more appropriate...
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2021, 11:25 PM   #115
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:

We're not arguing, we are debating!
As for the hoist fee I agree fully, it was pulled on me one day, I mentioned in another thread getting a defect for a bald tyre?..it was my spare, full thread across but the "chicken strip" was bare.

Cost $172 to have inspected, while on the hoist I asked could he change oil?...he said I will have to lower hoist, move car, and put it back on for the oilchange ( this is a one man show )

I said how much then and it was $145 including oil!
I said its already up and I have paid you to do the inspection already, he said its $90 to lift, I said has my car passed and he said yes, and I said I thought he was a thief, fleet customers ok but not pensioners!

Cheers King Billy
Old 21-06-2021, 11:37 PM   #116
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

If you make the proscribed fees clear before customers are locked in, there is also the option to discount them if it seems the right thing to do in a particular situation.

Building trade related story:

Only today I was in a supplier’s and there was a New Australian trying to pick the brains of Counter Man. (Who was rapidly tiring of this.) When the customer lamented “I don’t know what I need” the first response from Counter Man was “A tradesman, for starters”.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2021, 11:54 PM   #117
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I did work experience at Bunnings Broadmeadows as a 15 year old child and some woman cracked the ****s with me when I told her I didn't know how many bags of concrete she needed to put her mailbox post in properly
Six metres and a message!

I once offered to pay an exhaust shop for their opinion on a fault. They thought this was too strange (someone not wanting free advice) and went on the offensive.
3 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2021, 09:01 AM   #118
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
..if your outlay for equipment is a million bucks and you need specialist people to run it then $100 an hour is fair

Cheers King Billy
Sorry but what a load of rubbish
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2021, 09:17 AM   #119
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

If we can't be civil and have to resort to sear filter avoidance to make a point then the pitiful few are going to get another thread closed or themselves a holiday.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2021, 09:19 AM   #120
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8 View Post
Sorry but what a load of rubbish
Don't be "sorry" for your opinion, you can think its a load of rubbish, you are allowed to do that on a forum!
But 90 bucks an hour is $4500 a week or $215,000 per year, that's 48 working weeks at 10 hours a day!. Sure you get 4 weeks unpaid annual leave, so what, after taxes and costs/materials paid for by the customer, but with your added "handling fee" and mark up %, you're living big, not a bad earner, is it!,

Cheers King Billy