Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-06-2019, 08:13 PM   #31
Caprobbo
Fordluva

Default Re: 200kw AU Xr8 Chewin the Juice

That should be ecu going into closed loop the trims go up
Caprobbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2019, 08:55 PM   #32
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caprobbo View Post
Hi all
Can someone who has experience with these AU injected Windsor's have a look and give me an opinion
Happy to prpvide some feedback in some areas that I hope can help.

Quote:
I've noticed the 02s seem to be uneven, they have done 2000k only
Took them out they were a bit sooty as expected
The factory tune is notoriously rich. Your plugs would also be pretty black.

Quote:
When the ECU is in open loop on cold starting the short term fuel trims start at about 18% rich and come down to about 3% till the ECU goes into open then they head straight up to 40% rich
Startup is normally O/L. The ECU will command a lot of extra fuel when the engine is cold (for about 90secs, and then progrssively leaner until the engine is at operating temp). This is the equivalent of an EFI choke. Even when the engine is warm, it will start enrichened, just not as long. Anything over 160 DegF is considered normal operating temps. Not sure what you mean by "the ECU goes into open". I can only assume that you are referring to the car going into open loop at WOT. 40% would not surprise me from a factory tune. In my own car, I have seen the factoy tune go to ~36% rich at WOT. A tuned car (NA) should only be seeing about 18% rich at wot.

Quote:
Can someone tell me if the MAF,idle control,temp etc. are all in spec
All look normal to me.

Quote:
last time it did this I replaced both o2s and it 95% fixed it
They are VDO brand,surely they couldn't be gone again with 2000k on them.
Your o2s look fine. I am not sure of the software that you are using, but despite the graphs looking vastly different, the values shown on the left are very similar and within spec.

Quote:
I also capped all vacuum ports to no effect
Would a bad cam sensor cause this,Ive tried disconnecting it to no effect

All help would be appreciated
Bret.
Hope that helps. What is important if you have made any changes to your intake or exhaust, is to reset your KAMs. This may be worth doing just so your long Term Fuel Trims are cleared and can re-learn your current engine config.

Cheers
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-06-2019, 09:10 PM   #33
Caprobbo
Fordluva

Hi mate
I meant to say going from open loop cold to closed after 90 sec

Yea they maybe rich from the factory but not like this
did you watch the long vid?

its a Snap-on scanner
Old 14-06-2019, 09:11 PM   #34
Caprobbo
Fordluva

How do I reset KAMs ?
Old 14-06-2019, 09:14 PM   #35
Caprobbo
Fordluva

It drips black condensation out the pipes,that how rich it is
Old 15-06-2019, 02:47 AM   #36
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 

I replied to you on your other thread you have going as well. On one of your videos, it shows one of your o2 sensors still switching high/low even when the engine is off. It should peg itself full lean after a couple of seconds. VDO brand is not what it once was, were these from an eBay seller. When it comes to o2 sensors, NTK is the ticket. Even more reliable and consistent than Bosch. And NTK were used as OEM equipment for this model anyway.
Can I ask what oil is being used in the engine. This has an effect on sensor life too. Hope you find the cure soon.
crakrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2019, 02:51 AM   #37
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 

Quote:
How do I reset KAMs ?
Battery negative terminal disconnected
Turn headlight switch on
Press brake pedal for 30 secs
Turn off headlight switch
Reconnect battery.

This drains all residual current from the Keep Alive Memory of the ECU.
crakrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2019, 11:08 AM   #38
Caprobbo
Fordluva

Thumbs up Re: 200kw AU Xr8 Chewin the Juice

Yea mate I thought that was not right,how does the o2 make current without exhaust heat.
I cant remember if the the ignition was on,maybe the internal heater was causing it or does the heater only start when the engine is running.

And yea I did get them of eBay
I always thought VDO was up there with Bosch but as you say things change.

So where do I source NTK sensors
As for the Kams I have a battery isolator switch that I turn off when the cars not being used ( its a MK 3 Capri) so I guess that would take care of the kams

I wondered if the computer doesn't like being reset all the time.

This latest rich running episode started after picking it up from the panel beater that did full body and paint

I wondered if they welded on it with the battery switch on an zapped a portion of the computer

But Im in the same camp as you suspecting the 02s again especially as soon as it goes into closed and gets input from them it starts trimming upwards
I just couldn't believe they would fail again at 2000ks and show no signs of contamination.

The oil is a 10w-30 as per the service manual,but just looking then I notice the Xr8 has a different spec same weight but different spec numbers
Any ideas why

I also notice the manual specifies one type of plug for one bank and another for the other bank,why do you think that is ?

Thanks for your help
Old 15-06-2019, 11:58 AM   #39
Caprobbo
Fordluva

Hi Mate
Just ordered 2x OZA687-D2 NTK sensors from super cheap for $180
Not a bad price,lets see what happens eh.

Bret.
Old 15-06-2019, 09:03 PM   #40
XC50077
Drive'n Cruise'n Live'n

The service plugs are qty8 all identical. Not long ago bought qty8 genuine plugs for my AU2 220 from ebay for a decent price, Part no. Motorcraft AGSF32FM [SP-432].Cheers
XC50077 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2019, 06:29 PM   #41
Caprobbo
Fordluva

yea thanks mate
I doubt there would be any difference between your 220 and my 200
Old 16-06-2019, 08:56 PM   #42
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Quote:
As for the Kams I have a battery isolator switch that I turn off when the cars not being used ( its a MK 3 Capri) so I guess that would take care of the kams

I wondered if the computer doesn't like being reset all the time.
Bret, this will be dependant on the tune that you have in the car. If your tune is out (factory relies on KAMs heavily), when you disconnect power all the time, and resetting KAMs, there is no way the ECU can build a history and start compensating for the deficiencies in the tune. I have seen it regularily when you reset KAMs, the fuel economy can go through the floor. You may be stuck in that cycle due to the constant disconnection of the battery.

My suggestion is that you get it tuned and take it from there.

Cheers
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

3 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2019, 01:21 PM   #43
Caprobbo
Fordluva

Thanks mate
Ill put the new o2s in a make a decision from there.
Old 17-06-2019, 04:33 PM   #44
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my AU windsor was using 20L/100km, but ran beautifully. Replaced & cleaned what i could, but nothing changed & i was left with pressure & leak down test as mentioned earlier in the thread. I would be heading this way. Ended up selling before i got around to it
falcon_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2019, 01:58 PM   #45
Caprobbo
Fordluva

thanks mate ill put it on the list
Old 05-07-2019, 05:50 PM   #46
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Hi Mate
Just ordered 2x OZA687-D2 NTK sensors from super cheap for $180
Not a bad price,lets see what happens eh.

Bret.
That's a bit rich. $112.99 here for 2 sensors same part number
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NTK-NGK-...kAAOSwstxVRsmI
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2019, 06:22 PM   #47
Caprobbo
Fordluva

Put em in
No change....open loop runs perfect,fuel trim 3% positive

After 90 seconds into closed loop and off the chart the trims go

Walked away for a few days
Old 05-07-2019, 06:38 PM   #48
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

My stock 5.0 L AU II Fairlane is thirsty. 400 klms to a tank local driving just taking it easy.

Will throw a set of NTK sensors in and clean the MAF and see how it goes
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

OWN THE ROAD
Old 05-07-2019, 06:52 PM   #49
Caprobbo
Fordluva

Good luck !!
Old 07-07-2019, 09:09 AM   #50
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Put em in
No change....open loop runs perfect,fuel trim 3% positive

After 90 seconds into closed loop and off the chart the trims go

Walked away for a few days
Did you reset the KAMs after putting in the new sensors? If not, all of your fuel trims will be based on the old o2 sensors. They need to be cleared.

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

5 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2019, 11:04 AM   #51
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTe342 View Post
My stock 5.0 L AU II Fairlane is thirsty. 400 klms to a tank local driving just taking it easy.

Will throw a set of NTK sensors in and clean the MAF and see how it goes
I’d say that’s about right, I’d say 450 would be the absolute max pushing the tank limit on a good running engine
mcfly94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2019, 10:03 PM   #52
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfly94 View Post
I’d say that’s about right, I’d say 450 would be the absolute max pushing the tank limit on a good running engine
I thought it should do better as I reckon my 5.6 TL would match it for klms/tank. I know the sensors have never been replaced so with 225k on the odo I will shout it a set anyways. Thanks for the reset info

OWN THE ROAD
Old 09-07-2019, 01:33 PM   #53
Caprobbo
Fordluva

Well the latest is I replaced the CPS and the forscan still says fault and CPS low (low? what that means I have no idea) but it seems to have improved the problem.
At one stage after resetting everything I could with the forscan software I actually had the fuel trims oscillating between -3.0 to + 3.0 which is perfect.

Before that I Had one O2 sensor reading 2.3 volts the other 1.3 volts and one fuel trim going up to +37 while the other sat at +7 then the +7 went up to +37 then they both sat there for a couple of seconds before both dropping together down to +4 and sitting there.
So weird I wondering if I have a bad earth somewhere or a faulty ecu
In saying that I took it for a good drive for 55 ks and then topped up the fuel and it took roughly 6.5 liters,so thats about right I think.

So the only changes since the new O2s (which made no difference) is the new CPS sensor and leaving the battery connected.
The thing that gets me is if I unplug the CPS plug the forscan says CPS OK ??
Plug it in and it says Fault.
I took the whole unit out last week With the original sensor And hooked it up to my multi meter and was getting a good pulse when i spun it with a cordless drill .

I think ill try to get it back to the -3 +3 fuel trim and leave it alone and see what happens.
When its right its not hunting at idle and smells pretty good in the exhaust so it now is capable of running correctly I've just got to keep it there.
I might do a couple more vids for you guys to look at.

I wonder If its all about turning of the battery switch after use thats causing problems.
It also has gained its lost power and smoothness again,but its a little rough it idle

Do these 200kw XR8 motors have a slight cam lope,I didn't think they did.
Bret.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2019, 08:33 PM   #54
XC50077
Drive'n Cruise'n Live'n

My experience is they need a few hundred klm to re learn the Kams and they continue to improve over several weeks. My 220 idles with a slight cammy rumble, idles clean but with a slight shake after a long freeway trip. Cheers
XC50077 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2019, 05:31 PM   #55
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fitted the new O2 sensors and cleaned the MAF today. While I had the intake snorkel off I noticed the sensor thats about 150mm before the throttle body was mounted horizontally when looking at the inside so i turned it 90 degrees so the air can flow through it. I imagine this is how it should be sitting?

Did the KAMS reset. Car now seems to run smoother and better throttle response with just steady town driving. Will see if the economy is any better over the next few weeks

OWN THE ROAD
Old 16-07-2019, 09:04 PM   #56
Caprobbo
Fordluva

Found the real problem-although the new CPS sensor seemed to help ( but still showing Fault on the Forscan when plugged in and OK when unplugged) work that one out !!

Blown Hego fuse!!!
The O2s weren't heating up at low speed to idle
I didn't even know the O2 heater circuit had a fuse till I studied the wiring for the O2s in the service manual.

So it was right under my nose all the time
All the trims are now oscillating between Negative 4% to- 4% positive so pretty close

It makes sense since It was running rich after picking it up from the panel shop after a ton of bodywork (welding) was done

I think that popped the fuse.......you live and learn!!
So the moral to the story is if you have fuelling problems check the Hego fuse in the box under the bonnet.
I can stamp on it in first and it lights em up like it used to and no more choking on unburnt fuel fumes,,,,,Hooray!!
Old 07-05-2020, 07:15 PM   #57
fordman302

Thankyou thankyou thankyou, I have been chasing problems for 6 months, getting random codes on forescan, getting different results after replacing different parts and sensors, then finally, stumble across this thread and OMG, a simple fuse, I likewise wasn't aware it existed. Finally getting a chance to enjoy driving the old girl again ��
fordman302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2020, 05:44 PM   #58
Caprobbo
Fordluva

Thumbs up Re: 200kw AU Xr8 Chewin the Juice

Yea Fordman.
After all the advice that got me nowhere and cost money it was so simple.Took me year to find it,by accident while looking at the wiring diagram.

Now you've got it fixed make sure you change the fuel diluted oil and filter.
Old 13-09-2022, 09:55 PM   #59
Caprobbo
Fordluva

So now its 2022 and the Capri is running rich at idle again.
Nowhere near as bad as before but fuel trims stay at 4% rich and dont oscillate.

Checked the o2 fuse...all good,replaced the fuel filter and its fixed.

Trims oscillate between -1 to +3 at idle

Work that one out!!