Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-09-2020, 12:32 AM   #31
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Barn find! 1971 Ford Falcon GTHO Phase III to fetch in excess of $300,000

So what exactly is so special about this shell?
Whatever it was, its been bastardised, then raped and pillaged.

It might be a solid body, a good basis for an XY project, but that doesn't make it worth $300k.
If the post above is to be believed then it's had the tags removed, which makes the car unregisterable.

If, based on the shock tower, you can confirm that it was originally a HO, so what. It's not one now.
If you buy that car, and then acquire all the parts to rebuild it as a HO.
And I take a nondescript XY and add exactly the same parts and work, then what's the difference.

Don't get we wrong, I understand the rarity and iconic nature of a genuine HO. My point is that it isn't any more. Some idiot destroyed it.
This user likes this post:
Old 29-09-2020, 12:53 AM   #32
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default Re: Barn find! 1971 Ford Falcon GTHO Phase III to fetch in excess of $300,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
If the post above is to be believed then it's had the tags removed, which makes the car unregisterable.
I don't know how it works in Perth but I had the tags stolen from my Torana here in NSW and the car was still able to be registered as they only needed the Chassis Number and the engine number was also recorded.

Maybe because it was just a Torana they didn't care

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2020, 08:04 AM   #33
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You only need a chassis number & an engine number to register a car in NSW. Tags are irrelevant to the RMS.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-09-2020, 08:29 AM   #34
FairmontGS
WT WRC GT Line
Donating Member3

Quote:

It might be a solid body, a good basis for an XY project, but that doesn't make it worth $300k.

If, based on the shock tower, you can confirm that it was originally a HO, so what. It's not one now.
And I take a nondescript XY and add exactly the same parts and work, then what's the difference.

Don't get we wrong, I understand the rarity and iconic nature of a genuine HO. My point is that it isn't any more. Some idiot destroyed it.
Of course it's still a P3HO - it just doesn't have its motor anymore.

If you build up an XY GT P3 from a non-P3 body, then it's a replica P3.

Simples.
FairmontGS is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-09-2020, 08:35 AM   #35
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

It does state the the tags were bought back,so I presume they are with the car.Technically the tags can’t be removed,but it may take someone with superhuman eye sight to see that they had been pop rivetted back on.Most makes use only standard pop rivets.The harder ones are the early Holdens which used rivet type things which would be much harder to copy
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2020, 08:37 AM   #36
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
If the post above is to be believed then it's had the tags removed, which makes the car unregistrable.
The tags are right there in the photos.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-09-2020, 12:39 AM   #37
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

another xy barn find , wonder what itll get
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3394475035548/

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2020, 02:31 AM   #38
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Of course it's still a P3HO - it just doesn't have its motor anymore.
Firstly, on what basis can anyone assert that its a HO? Is this some universal law of the cosmos? If Ford built 300 P3's, does that mean that there will always be 300? And even if so, how is ownership of such a right determined?

The car in question has been bastardised in every way imaginable. It doesn't have the original engine, gearbox, most of the peripheral mechanicals, and the guards have been butchered
If we disposed of the doors, bonnet, boot, and fenders, would it still be a HO?

Ok, what about if we also completely stripped the interior, down to a bare shell. Still a HO?

Ok, so what if it had been rolled, and we had to cut the roof off?

Now its been sitting in a paddock for 20 years, the boot, quarters, floor-pan, and firewall are all rusted away. Is it still a HO?

Please tell me, precisely which piece is it that makes it a HO?
Old 30-09-2020, 07:00 AM   #39
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Firstly, on what basis can anyone assert that its a HO? Is this some universal law of the cosmos? If Ford built 300 P3's, does that mean that there will always be 300? And even if so, how is ownership of such a right determined?

The car in question has been bastardised in every way imaginable. It doesn't have the original engine, gearbox, most of the peripheral mechanicals, and the guards have been butchered

Ok, what about if we also completely stripped the interior, down to a bare shell. Still a HO?

Now its been sitting in a paddock for 20 years, the boot, quarters, floor-pan, and firewall are all rusted away. Is it still a HO?

So the surviving GTHO racecars arnt genuine cars either?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-09-2020, 07:30 AM   #40
FairmontGS
WT WRC GT Line
Donating Member3

Quote:

I'm not sure if you're being silly or not

Quote:
It's a P3. The tags and VIN say so. It's also a one-owner car, so no dispute on shady periods of its life. How many were built... I don't see the relevance of that.

Quote:
Yes, of course. It's the shell that determines the car's identity.

Quote:
See above.

Quote:
Then it's a P3 that has had its roof replaced (or turned into a cool convertible). Anyway, see above.

Quote:
A very rusty one, but see above.

Quote:
The shell always determines a car's identity. That can't be changed.

If I gutted my XB GT to a shell and sat it on bricks in a paddock it would still be an XB GT wouldn't it? No difference to the P3 here.

If you're confused about rebodies, rebirthing, replicas, etc. there's a good post here that will assist.

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11310086
6 users like this post:
Old 30-09-2020, 07:46 AM   #41
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

There was an English court case about “No.1 Bentley” which traverses some of this (what pedigree is considered to apply to what car) from the perspective of a country with laws not too different from our own.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2020, 09:54 AM   #42
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:

If you need answers to all of those questions yourself then clearly it's best that people like you stay well away from classics that are getting thin on the ground already.

You either understand its meaning or not and clearly here, you don't understand.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-09-2020, 10:11 AM   #43
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
another xy barn find , wonder what itll get
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3394475035548/
That's an ecosystem, not a car!!!
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2020, 11:41 AM   #44
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

Maybe you should offer him 20k for it?

It's the shell, with the tags that make it a HO. Doesn't matter how much the rest is modified, it's still a HO.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-09-2020, 11:53 AM   #45
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

It blows my mind that someone would pay 300k for a rolling shell that would never be considered in my eyes, "an original survivor". Really I'm just jealous though.
Old 30-09-2020, 12:35 PM   #46
wackyv8
wackyv8

"1971 Ford Falcon GTHO XY Phase 3
Closes: 7h 16m

$280,309
The reserve price has not been reached "

https://www.graysonline.com/lot/0001...ase-3?spr=true
wackyv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2020, 01:00 PM   #47
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's the shell of what was once an HO, it has a long way to go and many$$$ before it's an HO again.
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2020, 05:14 PM   #48
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So I see that despite all the infantile condescension, nobody can actually answer this.

My point is simply this:
If two mates buy basically identical shells.
And each spends roughly the same money rebuilding them to identical "HO Standard"
If one mate has his for sale for say $60k, you'd be nuts to pay the other mate $600k for his, simply because of a VIN.
Old 30-09-2020, 05:22 PM   #49
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
So I see that despite all the infantile condescension, nobody can actually answer this.

My point is simply this:
And each spends roughly the same money rebuilding them to identical "HO Standard"
If one mate has his for sale for say $60k, you'd be nuts to pay the other mate $600k for his, simply because of a VIN.
But yet someone would pay the 600k, simple as that
Old 30-09-2020, 05:24 PM   #50
FairmontGS
WT WRC GT Line
Donating Member3

Quote:

My point is simply this:
I thought I laid it out fairly clearly?

Anyway... not likely a choice that either of us is ever going to have to make eh?
3 users like this post:
Old 30-09-2020, 08:43 PM   #51
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Why has nobody mentioned the unique to HO body mods, THAT'S what makes it a HO regardless of how many panels are left on it. HO's had different hangars and various brackets and braces that the standard shell did not. I'm sure one of the HO aficionados can tell us exactly what is different but I know there are differences that identify a HO shell as genuine besides the VIN tags.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2020, 09:11 PM   #52
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

My point is simply this:
You could say the same about a Rembrandt or Picasso.
Why spend $25 million on something when you can get an exact copy for $20.
It only makes sense to someone who can afford it.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2020, 09:21 PM   #53
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
Why has nobody mentioned the unique to HO body mods, THAT'S what makes it a HO regardless of how many panels are left on it. HO's had different hangars and various brackets and braces that the standard shell did not. I'm sure one of the HO aficionados can tell us exactly what is different but I know there are differences that identify a HO shell as genuine besides the VIN tags.
Thats right, thats why as far as i'm concerned a HO will always remain a HO no matter how many bits and pieces are missing......

While i agree with the possible $300k + price i am a bit surprised it didn't reach the reserve with a bid of $350,709, maybe the 'sons' got a little bit to ambitious?

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2020, 09:37 PM   #54
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
My point is simply this:
Seems like you're a Car driver not a Car enthusiast.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:50 AM   #55
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

My point is simply this:
It's been explained. Are you dense, or just ignorant?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2020, 04:19 PM   #56
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Reserve not met?!?! I would have thought $350k would have been pretty good for what it is?

Wonder what the reserve was? They must have been close??

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2020, 05:24 PM   #57
zoesgift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink Re: Barn find! 1971 Ford Falcon GTHO Phase III to fetch in excess of $300,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Reserve not met?!?! I would have thought $350k would have been pretty good for what it is?

Wonder what the reserve was? They must have been close??
you are assuming that the last few bid were genuine.....
zoesgift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2020, 07:01 PM   #58
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoesgift View Post
you are assuming that the last few bid were genuine.....
A lot of the Time with these Estate Auctions. One Kid is just finding out how Much He/She owes their Siblings..

But My Wife says I'm a Cynical *****...
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-10-2020, 07:26 PM   #59
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Imagine getting one rough car with provenance, splitting it at the rear of the roof and at the toe board/firewall join...

Then you can make a pair of GT’s and each will have a number of the unique characteristics. It might almost be profitable now.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2020, 08:34 PM   #60
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

My point is simply this:
Your wife’s name is Sarah. She has a twin sister called Anna. They look the same and talk the same. Their twins. So your wife’s name is still Sarah. Even though Anna is exactly the same she is still not Sarah
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: