Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 15-04-2019, 11:37 AM   #181
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2019 Ford Focus

Gee there’s a few reviews getting around saying the Focus has lost it’s dynamic appeal. Dropping the Escape off tomorrow to get some new tires and noticed Ford have a few in the demo fleet so hopefully I can take one for the day.
This user likes this post:
Old 15-04-2019, 01:05 PM   #182
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton View Post
Gee there’s a few reviews getting around saying the Focus has lost it’s dynamic appeal. Dropping the Escape off tomorrow to get some new tires and noticed Ford have a few in the demo fleet so hopefully I can take one for the day.
My friend calls that "churnalism". Hope you get one to try out, but decide for yourself while keeping in mind what roads such a car is likely to spend most of its time on. And don't think it's only Ford; the new Mazda 3 has torsion beam and surprise! surprise! surprise! the same comments about loss of dynamics. I'm more inclined to believe it's a case of looking for something so insignificant to criticise when in fact some of these journos need to go back to driving a leaf sprung car to put things into proper perspective. The torsion beams in both cars are cutting edge stuff. No, they're not IRS, but they are sorted out pretty well that most drivers wouldn't even notice.
CatonaPC© is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2019, 02:00 PM   #183
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Best thing to do .... it take one for a burn ... and drive it the way to would drive it everyday .... along the same roads ... and even out of some backroads.

Only you will know if you like it or not.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2019, 03:01 PM   #184
frankie86
Sprinting Everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
Best thing to do .... it take one for a burn ... and drive it the way to would drive it everyday .... along the same roads ... and even out of some backroads.

Only you will know if you like it or not.
Spot on, missus had a new titanium for 3 days to try out even though we have a deposit on the next ST/RS, between me and her we both didn't rate the new focus, comparing her lz titanium to the new model. Only thing i liked in the new focus was that engine, great little unit. As for interior and driving feel, its definitely lacking compared to our LZ
frankie86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2019, 03:19 PM   #185
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I had one too for a trip. Found it harsher then the LZ and some road noise. Glad I went the Mondeo Titanium instead for the Mrs.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2019, 03:29 PM   #186
KosCo

Interesting reading some of the comments on the new Focus. We have an LZ Titanium at the moment and think it has been a great car. We will be keeping the LZ and are looking at the new Focus Titanium in about 4-5 months time (second choice of new vehicle could be a Hyundai i30 n-Line Premium).

Would like to hear any comments from new owners as to what they think of the new Focus. Unfortunately, there don’t seem to be many new owners on here at the moment providing such comments.

Any comments regarding –
. are Ford sales negotiating prices or taking a lump it or leave it attitude?
. any delays in delivery?
. has anyone tried to order options on the vehicle such as HUD, Active Park Assist 2 Pack, Panorama Roof Pack?

Will be arranging a test drive soon but would like to be prepared by comments or experiences from other people from here.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.
KosCo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2019, 03:31 PM   #187
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
That's surprising. During Wheels COTY testing they said the Focus was the best car out of the whole field dynamically.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2019, 04:27 PM   #188
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
That's surprising. During Wheels COTY testing they said the Focus was the best car out of the whole field dynamically.
Will definably ask to see if I can take one of the ST-Line models tomorrow (they have a few Trends registered as well) and take the long way to work. Most reviews seem to be the Trend model, a couple of early reviews on the ST-Line raved about the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KosCo
Any comments regarding –
. has anyone tried to order options on the vehicle such as HUD, Active Park Assist 2 Pack, Panorama Roof Pack?
Local dealer has a few Titanium's in the window advertised at $36k IIRC, no options and 2018 build. I really don't think there would be much wiggle room in them. Dealer also told me six months wait, but others here have been told similar and then were given much better timeframes. As for the options, the spec you've listed is how I'd want my Titanium, but with metallic paint it's an eye watering $42k. You can pick up a Mondeo cheaper (again like others have).

Anyway keen to give the car a good go, would love to add a fully loaded Magnetic Titanium to the garage and move away from the SUV!
Old 15-04-2019, 04:39 PM   #189
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by KosCo View Post
Any comments regarding –
I ordered a Focus Active with Driver assist Pack in late March. It's built and ready to ship and I'm expecting it to be delivered in June. If you want to add the option packs, you will need to have them factory fitted which means you have to order the car and wait. Delays in delivery? That depends on your point of view; bear in mind it's a long boat ride from Germany.
Old 15-04-2019, 04:49 PM   #190
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How does it compare to an LW?
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2019, 05:54 PM   #191
mickjf
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
It's still a decent drive and no doubt better than most, if not all, its competitors. In my opinion just not as well sorted and cohesive as the LZ which inherently was a cracker of a chassis across all trim levels.
mickjf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2019, 08:09 PM   #192
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappie View Post
Yeah, the amount of vessels on the water at any one time is staggering, just looking at marinetraffic.com
Just doing more investigation. There's a massive RORO facility at the port of Bremerhaven, Germany. Just possible all the cars out of Saarlouis get sent by train there, rather than Zeebrugge in Belgium, although it is closer.
Old 15-04-2019, 09:23 PM   #193
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I have had the fortune of getting an ST-Line as a loan car and I'd say it's the best car I've driven, although that's not saying a lot considering that I haven't driven that many well sorted hatchbacks. But I do think it is a step up from the last generation Focus, albeit that the ride in the ST-Line was a bit firm. Well, at least it's noticeably firmer than my Mondeo Titanium with the adaptive suspension set to 'Comfort'.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2019, 09:29 AM   #194
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Picked up a Magnetic Trend loan car yesterday, have to say driving the car truly sheds some light on it. Obviously everyone is different, but my thoughts after a good few hours or so driving:

The good:

The engine has plenty of punch, and hums along
Touch the accelerator and the car just wants to go, pickup is really good, especially in Sport mode
It uses so much less petrol than the Escape, I’m getting 9L per 100km with city driving and hardly any highway use
Placement of the SYNC screen is so much better than the Escape, nice and easy to touch and the system is quicker
The car is like a little go cart on rails, is slips into corners and just weaves its way through
I like the handling, it’s a bit like a rubber band and bounces back
The space inside is massive, especially the back seat, it’s like a class bigger inside compared to an LZ
On the go, the transmission is quick and smooth, only sometimes holding a gear a little too long as opposed to downshifting
The tech inside is all pretty foolproof and well done

Not-so-good:

I still think the build quality inside isn’t befitting of the prices, so feel the car is quite overpriced
Interior design is a bit meh, it’s inoffensive and an improvement but not very interesting
Some specifications are just silly, no front parking sensors on the lower models and the HUD only optional on Titanium (standard on a Mazda 3 on all models)
The back suspension does “skip” over bumps compared to the front suspension, not the end of the world but you can notice it
Engine gets a bit rough in high revs
The transmission is slow to go to P to D or to R, and you can feel with each turn the car switching to the selected gear
Missed some of the luxuries of the Escape, the headrests don’t tilt forward, drivers seat don’t have the front tilt adjustment

All in all I really like it, I love the way it drives so hoping to try out an ST-Line / Titanium. Any major negative can be overcome with software updates or a reduction in price. Hoping to finalize an order for a Magnetic Titanium with all the options over the next few days. Like other have said, just go drive it if you're keen, the reviews seem to focus on a few elements but as an overall car it's brilliant.
3 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2019, 11:13 AM   #195
KosCo

Quote:
Hoping to finalize an order for a Magnetic Titanium with all the options over the next few days

Can you let us know how you go with your order especially the time frame for delivery and whether ordering the options causes any problems. I am looking at ordering a Titanium model in the next couple of months and would like to also add some options which appear to have to be installed at manufacture of the vehicle - so am interested to see if getting the options causes any dramas or holdups. Thanks.
KosCo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2019, 11:17 AM   #196
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Can you let us know how you go with your order especially the time frame for delivery and whether ordering the options causes any problems. I am looking at ordering a Titanium model in the next couple of months and would like to also add some options which appear to have to be installed at manufacture of the vehicle - so am interested to see if getting the options causes any dramas or holdups. Thanks.
Was told an order today would have the car to me in four months, so usual order timeframe. No issue with adding the option packages, it’d be the same timeframe with or without. Just tossing now wether I just look at a loaded ST-Line in stock now or a Titanium without the Active Park 2 which would arrive sooner, or just order and wait.
Old 17-04-2019, 12:44 PM   #197
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Can you let us know how you go with your order especially the time frame for delivery and whether ordering the options causes any problems.
I don't think ordering a specific pack or combination of packs will necessarily delay an order more than usual. I ordered an Active with Driver Assist Pack, but if I included the Design Pack, it would not have made a difference to my delivery scheduled for June. The car gets built to order and that part doesn't take too long these days. Then it needs to be transported to holding yards for shipping. Shipping can take 32-48 days.
Old 17-04-2019, 02:02 PM   #198
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I am in negotiations with my dealer at the moment on the below:

ST-Line
Blue Metallic
Design Pack
Panorama Roof Pack

He has told me this combo I am looking at 4 months wait at this point but they have stock of ST Line with no options ready to go...

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2019, 02:11 PM   #199
cappie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatonaPC© View Post
Just doing more investigation. There's a massive RORO facility at the port of Bremerhaven, Germany. Just possible all the cars out of Saarlouis get sent by train there, rather than Zeebrugge in Belgium, although it is closer.
I've just been informed that my car is still at the compound in Belgium and is due on a vessel on 11 May. This will mean a delivery in late June which makes it 4 months since contract signing - contract says delivery 30 Apr so I am weighing up whether to cancel given all of the recent negative reports on the car.
cappie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2019, 02:22 PM   #200
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I've just been informed that my car is still at the compound in Belgium and is due on a vessel on 11 May. This will mean a delivery in late June which makes it 4 months since contract signing - contract says delivery 30 Apr so I am weighing up whether to cancel given all of the recent negative reports on the car.
Have you driven the car? Most of the negative reviews are of the Trend model, the ST-Line reviews seem to be overwhelmingly positive. The Active can only be better with the IRS.
3 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2019, 02:49 PM   #201
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Reports and reviews are great for research, but its your opinion that really matters.

A clean car brings a clean mind
fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2019, 03:43 PM   #202
cappie

Smile Re: 2019 Ford Focus

Quote:
Picked up a Magnetic Trend loan car yesterday, have to say driving the car truly sheds some light on it. Obviously everyone is different, but my thoughts after a good few hours or so driving:
I was waiting to see what you thought
Old 17-04-2019, 03:44 PM   #203
cappie

Quote:
Have you driven the car? Most of the negative reviews are of the Trend model, the ST-Line reviews seem to be overwhelmingly positive. The Active can only be better with the IRS.
Yes, I've driven two of them, but you know what it's like on a testdrive, sensory overload. I did notice the lag from drive to reverse tho.
Old 17-04-2019, 07:16 PM   #204
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Well, I would hold out, because I think the ST-Line I test drove was okay, so I can't imagine your Titanium would be bad just because a stack of journos have thrashed the same Trend and reported back with some negative comments on some negligible issues that no day-to-day owner would really fuss over, let alone notice.

Thanks for confirming it will be shipped out of Zeebrugge but by my reckoning I would have thought my car would have been shipped out on the same boat or the next one, which, interestingly arrives in Melbourne seven days before the one that departs on the 11 May even though it departs Zeebrugge on the 17 May.

I'd stick with it unless you have other reasons for cancelling the contract.
Old 17-04-2019, 08:12 PM   #205
cappie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatonaPC© View Post
I'd stick with it unless you have other reasons for cancelling the contract.
I appreciate your advice and also taking into account DannyHiltons comments on his few hours driving the car have made me decide to wait until it lands in Melb.
My patience (or lack thereof) is getting worse as I'm getting older, let me tell ya!
Cheers guys.

Last edited by cappie; 17-04-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Old 17-04-2019, 08:28 PM   #206
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I’m in a Dessert Blue ST-Line with Design Pack and Drivers Assist tonight. After a quick spin driving home I can’t wait to get it onto the highway and into some twists tonight. What a bloody brilliant steer, this this is a hoot!
4 users like this post:
Old 22-04-2019, 03:06 PM   #207
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So have just handed the keys back to the Focus loan car while the Escape was getting new tires and a few things done to it, I was lucky enough to drive two ST-Lines (one with Design Pack & Drivers Assist Package) and a Trend. For all the talk regarding the rear suspension and the transmission I expected to be hugely disappointed, but I’ve walked away not wanting the hand the keys back. It’s simply a brilliant small car with fabulous steering, an engine that is brimming with character, dynamics that are befitting to a performance car, space and practicality beyond the cars size and technology that’s well calibrated and really useful.

My problem is choosing between an ST-Line and a Titanium. More specifically, the dilemma being do I get a loaded ST-Line and accept it lacks some features or cough up the extra coin for a Titanium but loose the more aggressive styling of the ST-Line? There really is no point in me looking at anything else as the Focus is just incredible, I just need to decide what I want from the car and what I can live without.

If anyone is reading this and contemplating taking one for a test drive, do it. I really can’t understand some of these reviews, the Focus ticks so many boxes and is a absolute hoot to drive, and it seems like a no brainer in the class for me.
5 users like this post:
Old 22-04-2019, 04:24 PM   #208
CatonaPC©

Quote:
If anyone is reading this and contemplating taking one for a test drive, do it. I really can’t understand some of these reviews, the Focus ticks so many boxes and is a absolute hoot to drive, and it seems like a no brainer in the class for me.
Great to read a review from someone who's had a bit more time in the car. I can understand your dilemma, deciding between an ST-Line and a Titanium. I suppose if you want it loaded with all the goodies, the Titanium would be the go, but an ST-Line with the works would only miss out on the Titanium's leather seats and park assist. So, yes, difficult decision.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-04-2019, 05:43 PM   #209
XRFutura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Must admit, I’m massively tempted by the st-line wagon for my future daily. Might need to pop down to my local dealer and take one for a spin.

Past Vehicles:
2015 Ford Territory TS MKII - diesel burner
2016 Ford FM Mustang GT - The Dream Car
2007 FPV BF MKII GT - popping the V8 cherry
1997 Ford EL Falcon Futura - 6 cylinders of fury
XRFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2019, 05:55 PM   #210
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
......I really can’t understand some of these reviews, the Focus ticks so many boxes and is a absolute hoot to drive, and it seems like a no brainer in the class for me.
With cars being pretty good across the board these days, reviews tend to be singling out small issues to help bulk out the story and provide a balance. Each car in this segment would also have a few small things that stand out as being a complaint in an otherwise fine product.

Take the new Mazda 3, for all its improvements in refinement, materials and infotainment, the power-train is seen as lacking in refinement and the luggage space is now sub-par.

Swings and roundabouts.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: